Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly CK4 first review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorfly CK4 first review - Page 6

post #76 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

Good news RAFA. I also believe it is very capable player.
Having C3 here too, I can say they're made using the same material or metal chassis. it is the same.
Are you expecting to test the line out? Because I am interested how it performs but have no amps here at the moment.

 

I could try it out with the Fiio E17.

post #77 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

I could try it out with the Fiio E17.

Cool, that would be great, mainly I want to know how clean the line out sounds.

This would give me an idea whether to purchase an amp as an add on.
post #78 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Cool, that would be great, mainly I want to know how clean the line out sounds.
This would give me an idea whether to purchase an amp as an add on.

 

Sadly I had a busy Saturday, so had not enough time to make a definitive conclusion, but so far I cannot say that there is much difference. Even though the E17 is great as a DAC/AMP combination, but the E17 + CK4 combination does not please me like the headphone out from the CK4 does.

 

What you can definitely get is more power with an amp, but probably you will have to search and try out, till you get an amp that fits.

Tomorrow I will try the CK4 with the iBasso D10.

post #79 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

Sadly I had a busy Saturday, so had not enough time to make a definitive conclusion, but so far I cannot say that there is much difference. Even though the E17 is great as a DAC/AMP combination, but the E17 + CK4 combination does not please me like the headphone out from the CK4 does.

What you can definitely get is more power with an amp, but probably you will have to search and try out, till you get an amp that fits.
Tomorrow I will try the CK4 with the iBasso D10.

Because the line out is volume controlled I plugged my IEM in at low volume and switched between headphone out / line out, for some reason the line out didn't sound as clean or 'clear' compared for me. See if you can notice a difference, (when you have time of course) I still am really enjoying this DAP, it is the best sounding source I have. smile.gif
post #80 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Because the line out is volume controlled I plugged my IEM in at low volume and switched between headphone out / line out, for some reason the line out didn't sound as clean or 'clear' compared for me. See if you can notice a difference, (when you have time of course) I still am really enjoying this DAP, it is the best sounding source I have. smile.gif

 

I am sorry, since I have the new job, there is no time during the week, so I have to see all my friends on Saturday and Sunday is family day... before that in university, I had a lot of time :(, however today in the afternoon at last I will have 3 or 4 hours just for listening.

 

Enjoy it :). The CK4 reminds me a bit of the Cowons sound signature, only that the Ck4 sound kind of upgraded. Better separation, dark background, not clinical, etc...

 

I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the LO has no output capacitors. But do nt take this info too serious until I find the source.

post #81 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

From the looks of the french site, it is the best player in the comparison, even beating the far more expensive hisound studio v. If the comparison is true then this thing is a bargain! This dap should be wayyy more popular... Very tempted to sell the j3 and get this.


lol this is interesting and I'd love to here it for myself. Kinda having doubts on the Frenchmans viewpoints ;).

post #82 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


lol this is interesting and I'd love to here it for myself. Kinda having doubts on the Frenchmans viewpoints wink.gif.

Owning three options in that comparison I can say the Frenchmans views are pretty close.

Studio V just isn't king of the castle anymore I'm afraid. wink.gif
Edited by H20Fidelity - 12/2/12 at 2:57am
post #83 of 249

Dear H2O,

 

I tried out the CK4 with following equipment. iBasso D10 as amp, Beyerdynamic DT1350, and Sennheiser IE8.

 

The music I listened was:

  • Aimee Mann - How Am I Different
  • Kenji Kawai - Making Of Cyborg
  • some other stuff

 

What is the Difference in the LO and HO? (Fo those who do not agree, this is just my subjective impression): There are small differences.

  1. The first I discovered is, that for example, Aimee's voice is much more "in your face" when using the LO. First I thought it is maybe the D10, which makes it sound that way, but it is not. I hooked up both IE8 and DT1350 to the LO and compared it directly, without amp.
  2. I am not quite sure what exactly you mean when you talk about "clean LO". If you think of a clean signal to the amp, then it is definitely clean. Could not find any difference when it comes to signal cleanness.
  3. The next difference is: the LO add a pinch (really small amount) of sibilance in the highs. You can hear this in the Kenji's music track. I could not hear any from the HO.
  4. LO adds more bass. It adds power to it and extends a little bit deeper. Thats quite positive I think, especially when you are not quite confdent in this devices lows. :)

 

Conclusion:

 

I recommend using this device from the HO. From my point of view Colorfly really tuned this device to sound like it does. Well at least from the HO. This devices lows are great with the IE8s. As far as I can remember the CK4 extends lower than the T51. CK4+IE8=perfect match. The CK4 pics up noise from electronics around, but only a little bit. I found it out while listening to the CK4 and writing this. It was unusual, because friday night, while listening without and noise or electronics around, there was none.

 

For those who like pcs:)

1000

 

1000

post #84 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Owning three options in that comparison I can say the Frenchmans views are pretty close.
Studio V just isn't king of the castle anymore I'm afraid. wink.gif


I think you're just being delusional like the wood-land troll lmao ;).

post #85 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I think you're just being delusional like the wood-land troll lmao wink.gif.

You should buy a ck4 and do a comparison with your studio and dx100, that would be very interesting.
post #86 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post


You should buy a ck4 and do a comparison with your studio and dx100, that would be very interesting.


Thing is I don't want to take a risk and be disappointed again. I just did that with the RE262 reading others reviews and had way to high of expectations for it. In the end I was very disappointed and returned them. Still I took a loss on shipping which I would rather not have to do again. Not sure how good the return policy is on them though. At least from what I gathered from Sauntere's comments the Studio V 3rd ANV is clearly better than the C3 and CK4. So that is why I pointed out I wouldn't put full faith into the Frenchmans review. If someone wouldn't mind me demoing it then by all means ;). Also the Studio V pairing with the IE8/IE80 is a match made in heaven.

post #87 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

Dear H2O,

Thanks for the detailed update RAFA!

I might indeed try an amp with my CK4, just because I'm rather curious. I might line up a demo from someone in my City. As I've said bass with my H-100 is what I would call just exceptable, I think there's a sure problem going on with my paring because I can speak for other IEM's I've used that are fine along with your experience and also Berkovajazz says the same , bass is very good on CK4+. Everything points to my Hybrid being a mis-match here. Both you guy's have great bass response as do I with every other IEM I've tried. Must be the Hybrid....must be.

I guess their could be some confusion that I am a basshead which is not the case, I actually find C3 bass amount perfect to my tastes, there's an obvious problem with that pairing and soon I will have H-200 (dual BA + Dynamic) we will see how that reacts. EX600 behaved perfectly fine in the low end too.

So I think we can confirm H-100 and CK4+ are not good friends.

From my experimenting I noticed the bass did go deeper from the LO, but as yourself I think HO is the way to go here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I think you're just being delusional like the wood-land troll lmao wink.gif.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 12/2/12 at 5:14pm
post #88 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Thanks for the detailed update RAFA!
I might indeed try an amp with my CK4, just because I'm rather curious. I might line up a demo from someone in my City. As I've said bass with my H-100 is what I would call just exceptable, I think there's a sure problem going on with my paring because I can speak for other IEM's I've used that are fine along with your experience and also Berkovajazz says the same , bass is very good on CK4+. Everything points to my Hybrid being a mis-match here. Both you guy's have great bass response as do I with every other IEM I've tried. Must be the Hybrid....must be.
I guess their could be some confusion that I am a basshead which is not the case, I actually find C3 bass amount perfect to my tastes, there's an obvious problem with that pairing and soon I will have H-200 (dual BA + Dynamic) we will see how that reacts. EX600 behaved perfectly fine in the low end too.
So I think we can confirm H-100 and CK4+ are not good friends.
From my experimenting I noticed the bass did go deeper from the LO, but as yourself I think HO is the way to go here.

 

The snakes bite is worse than it's bark lol. It turns trolls into stone ;).

post #89 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

The snakes bite is worse than it's bark lol. It turns trolls into stone wink.gif.

Last I knew we're in here having a conversation about Colorfly's CK4+ audiophile player? Not playing world of war craft. I believe the Frenchmans views are correct, I own Clip+ Colorfly C3, and CK4+ right here next to me, 'right now' three players in that review. All you have is the Studio V, nothing to compare too in the Frenchmans Comparison, one can try to confuse readers all they like but the basis is I take his views as truth checking the graphs. I'm not trolling but I must ask what you're doing in here? wink.gif
Edited by H20Fidelity - 12/2/12 at 5:58pm
post #90 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Last I knew we're in here having a conversation about Colorfly's CK4+ audiophile player? Not playing world of war craft. I believe the Frenchmans views are correct, I own Clip+ Colorfly C3, and CK4+ right here next to me, 'right now' three players in that review. All you have is the Studio V, nothing to compare too in the Frenchmans Comparison, one can try to confuse readers all they like but the basis is I take his views as truth checking the graphs. I'm not trolling but I must ask what you're doing in here? wink.gif


I also owned the Sansa Fuze and at one point the Sansa Fuze plus (which I found sounded even better than the Fuze and better than the iphone4 IMO). But the Fuze plus UI was just a joke. Still not even close to the sound quality I got from my older Studio V :P. Why not send me over your CK4+ and I can give a real comparison :). Also what headphones did he use to do his reviews with? TF10s? lol. Hey I'll make a deal with you. If indeed the player sounds better than the Studio V I'd sell my Studio V and buy a CK4 ;).


Edited by lee730 - 12/2/12 at 6:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly CK4 first review