Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly CK4 first review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorfly CK4 first review - Page 4

post #46 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

Wonder why it's so unpopular? Looks like its not too bad for the money.

I think there's a lack of mention of it here due to the UI interface (not Android etc.) minimal internal storage (however there is a MicroSD card slot) and lack of promotion. The Hifiman players have been more heavily promoted. Possibly it's size (thickness). I'll be grabbing an amp and testing the line out. At this point I don't see a problem making CK4 my fulltime DAP for home use.
post #47 of 249

Thank you H2O! =)
Today just arrived my Westone UM3x and i'm blown out! Damn it is so crazy beautiful sound! =)
CK4 can easily find place in your jeans, size is portable and weight is good :) 
Westones are super phones for top players, my old rig with Teclast T51 (cap modded) + Westone 3 was superb, but T51 died and i sold my W3. Now i've got some another perfect sound with another top player and another super Westones. lol  

post #48 of 249

Also if some CK4 happy users has extra money highly recommended Sunrise Xcape IE earphones. It is perfect combination for a good money, it is sounds for much more money.

post #49 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkovajazz View Post

Thank you H2O! =)

Today just arrived my Westone UM3x and i'm blown out! Damn it is so crazy beautiful sound! =)

CK4 can easily find place in your jeans, size is portable and weight is good smily_headphones1.gif 

Westones are super phones for top players, my old rig with Teclast T51 (cap modded) + Westone 3 was superb, but T51 died and i sold my W3. Now i've got some another perfect sound with another top player and another super Westones. lol  

Glad you're enjoying your new 3MUx Berkovajazz! smile.gif

I spent three hours with CK4 last night learning the signature, a wonderful sound.

Detailing is surely superior to anything I've heard, I have music tracks I've known for over a year, songs I thought I knew every detail and micro detail, but last night with CK4 I hear more! More detail and depth, samples I never knew where there with other players. It's not only about hearing deeper, also how gracefully CK4 positions and expresses these details.

For example, one song can be very busy with many samples going at once, yet CK4 lets you pick out anything at anytime following it, with much ease over other DAP's, separation is wonderful. Stereo and imaging is also very good on this player, not over done like S9 with BBE, very much to the recording and vocals sound nothing short of amazing. But the attention to detail is absolutely super! stage is quite big compared to S9, makes Cowon S9 sound like a baby. tongue.gif Full of air and nice width!

Bass detailing again, last night one track I must of played 100 times! I hear the bass playing a slightly lower note every second bar, this track I thought was the same bass line right through the entire song for over a year but it changes! (hard to explain in words) My only concern is some bass roll off which is effecting my lower impedance IEM, it seems to hurt most at lower volumes, but listening over half way not so much, but needs to be mentioned.

I'll have more soon.

Edit I should mention my volume down button is now working fine.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/23/12 at 4:12pm
post #50 of 249

Welcome to Colorfly CK4+ friends H2O:)
Yes, it has some unique sound signature, not the best like unportable sources, but still something very good. With UM3x CK4+ sounds better than CD-players. For example IE8 + CD has a better/the best sound i've heard in portable players.

post #51 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkovajazz View Post

Welcome to Colorfly CK4+ friends H2O:)

Yes, it has some unique sound signature, not the best like unportable sources, but still something very good. With UM3x CK4+ sounds better than CD-players. For example IE8 + CD has a better/the best sound i've heard in portable players.

Thank you. smile.gif

I have some questions.

I cannot get album art to show running FLAC files only 320kpbs show art work. Do you know why this might be?

Also.

Do you know what the EQ preset 'Balance Vol' does exactly? It's the last preset you can select.

it seems to double the amount of volume? I have emailed Colorfly for an answer but nothing yet.
post #52 of 249
I've spent a few days now with CK4, I'm still trying to work out it's flavour or acquired taste.

I'm really enjoying this player though as with C3 it will take me a week or two to fully understand what CK4 is trying to tell me. I came to learn C3 has good attack across the entire frequency range, very tight and ever so slightly aggressive, a touch high strung if you will, snappy! which by all means is good for most genre's. It also has this timbre I can't get enough of, you really get that sense of audiophile listening. There's just something about that player I truly enjoy.

CK4 seems to sound similar in attack around the mid and treble regions but does so with a touch more style taking advantage of it's air and soundstage width, so that tight C3 assault doesn't seem as obvious, there's more space and instruments are coming from further away. Though just quickly for people, C3 is certainly no slouch next to CK4. Where it falls short is detailing, imaging and soundstage but not by much in some areas! C3 has this addictive sound sig I can't stop listening too, and I'm yet to find that addiction in CK4. it's little brother might not be as highly detailed though the energy and flavour it has is a tough competitor.

Compared to Cowon S9 and somewhat C3, CK4 is like listening in 'exploded view' for example, imagine a balloon half blown up with air, all the music is floating inside that bubble but the balloon is only half full. When switching to CK4 it's like that half filled balloon becomes fully inflated, everything spreads out in width, height and space, instruments aren't struggling to find their own space, and even the instruments and vocals themselves feel 'bigger' this is what eases the attack C3 has, because it's working in a slightly larger environment. With the internal amp helping everything just feels larger. Like you've switched to a larger car after driving a mini.

I'll try to write up a mini comparison of C3 and CK4 soon.

If I had to sum up CK4 in three words. atm they would be: Air, Space Clarity.

CK4 is definitely the better player, but I'm yet to grab the sound sig completely. Yet to be drawn in or consumed.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/25/12 at 12:08am
post #53 of 249
Quote:
I cannot get album art to show running FLAC files only 320kpbs show art work. Do you know why this might be?

Also.

Do you know what the EQ preset 'Balance Vol' does exactly? It's the last preset you can select.

I've got old firmware, so i don't have this options:) I don't have album art. When i wrote to Colorfly they told me that i need to install new firmware from their site. I've download it but not installed.
 

Hey H2O, last night i'm also wanted to make photo of my favourite portable rig and put it on my icon in head fi:)

post #54 of 249
There's other settings as well like...

Settings > System settings.

Digital Filter set up > Slow Attenuation > Fast Attenuation

Output Phase settings > 0 Degrees > 180 Degrees.

I have no idea what they do because the manuals not in English, I can hardy hear what they're effecting. I can hear a change but not sure what's going on. tongue.gif

I really like the player it sounds great, but there's a serious lack of support going on here.


"Very easy to operate, not even need manual" rolleyes.gif


You should take a picture for your profile Berkovajazz. smile.gif
post #55 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

There's other settings as well like...
Settings > System settings.
Digital Filter set up > Slow Attenuation > Fast Attenuation
Output Phase settings > 0 Degrees > 180 Degrees.
I have no idea what they do because the manuals not in English, I can hardy hear what they're effecting. I can hear a change but not sure what's going on. tongue.gif
I really like the player it sounds great, but there's a serious lack of support going on here.
"Very easy to operate, not even need manual" rolleyes.gif
You should take a picture for your profile Berkovajazz. smile.gif

 

Sounds quite interesting those, for portable players unusual, settings.

 

Your writeup is king of intriguing. Actually I wanted to buy this back then when it came out, but refused to do so, because I was waiting for the Teclast T59, which never came out in the first place. You more or less induced me to buy one of these inn this moment.

post #56 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

Sounds quite interesting those, for portable players unusual, settings.

Your writeup is king of intriguing. Actually I wanted to buy this back then when it came out, but refused to do so, because I was waiting for the Teclast T59, which never came out in the first place. You more or less induced me to buy one of these inn this moment.

Thank you.

Yes, it's definitely highly capable, my version is CK4+ which I believe has a slightly different button layout to the original.

As long as you're prepared for 8 - 10 hours run time and some bass-roll off it's a brilliant sounding player, roll off needs a mention and I wouldn't want anyone going in without knowing this. It doesn't seem to effect the presentation too much and is very much a non issue over half volume. you would however notice some absent sub-bass at lower volumes though. Plus, I've recently sold my entire IEM collection so I haven't got much here to test atm besides a set of Turbines which seemed far less effected than my main IEM (H-100 Hybrid). With all that aside the mids, highs, soundstage are truly excellent, far above anything Cowon or Apple, far above any mainstream player.. I've tested the line out, roll off disappears, certainly only the headphone out that is effected.

Next I'll be taking advantage of CK4 line out.


CK4+ Button layout


Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/25/12 at 4:13am
post #57 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Thank you.
Yes, it's definitely highly capable, my version is CK4+ which I believe has a slightly different button layout to the original.
As long as you're prepared for 8 - 10 hours run time and some bass-roll off it's a brilliant sounding player, roll off needs a mention and I wouldn't want anyone going in without knowing this. It doesn't seem to effect the presentation too much and is very much a non issue over half volume. you would however notice some absent sub-bass at lower volumes though. Plus, I've recently sold my entire IEM collection so I haven't got much here to test atm besides a set of Turbines which seemed far less effected than my main IEM (H-100 Hybrid). With all that aside the mids, highs, soundstage are truly excellent, far above anything Cowon or Apple, far above any mainstream player.. I've tested the line out, roll off disappears, certainly only the headphone out that is effected.
Next I'll be taking advantage of CK4 line out.
CK4+ Button layout

 

Thank you for the info. I can live with the bass-roll off. Pretty much looking forward how it will work with the XBA-4 and also how the Cirrus sound signature will be like. Most of my players have a Wolfson inside. The first thing I wil do is to compare it to the T51. They are pretty much in the same price range.

 

EDIT: I also bought the CK4+


Edited by RAFA - 11/25/12 at 6:03am
post #58 of 249

Teclast T51 has sexiest mids:)
Also russian headfi called player.ru has some interesting guys who loves to make modifications on a true audiophile players. Some of them has modded CK4 (not CK4+) as a result they says that it sounds like a big brother Colorfly C4 or even better.

post #59 of 249

any comparisons with dx100?

post #60 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

Thank you for the info. I can live with the bass-roll off. Pretty much looking forward how it will work with the XBA-4 and also how the Cirrus sound signature will be like. Most of my players have a Wolfson inside. The first thing I wil do is to compare it to the T51. They are pretty much in the same price range.

EDIT: I also bought the CK4+

Welcome aboard RAFA,

I had an excellent session with some Queens greatest hits last night, a real wow moment or two, the placement, staging and resolution was very good, I took CK4+ one click away from full volume, let it rip for 10 minutes. It goes louder than my Cowon S9 from the headphone out, much fuller sound, a lot of air / instruments flying everywhere.

Left / right / centre staging stays well intact at higher volumes. With well recorded tracks you really feel the power from the internal amp. It's not overboard but you can hear it clearly supporting your IEM. What one would call a 'back bone'. I also had a play around with the custom EQ, and although it could use more adjustments inbetween going up DB's you can get a pretty hefty sound by using it. I'm not into EQ though, but it's nice to know the 5 band EQ is there. CK4+ is super impressive in detailing levels, I keep hearing things all the time that were either cut off or completely non present in tracks I've known for ages.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

any comparisons with dx100?

All I have is a comparison chart to Studio V and a few other popular players.

http://tupperwav.com/le-materiel/colorfly-c3-comparatif-avec-4-autres-baladeurs-a-vocation-audiophile/

I imagine taking advantage of CK4+ line out dock with your Leckerton UHA-6S MKII would be rather impressive.


Quote:
Teclast T51 has sexiest mids:)
Also russian headfi called player.ru has some interesting guys who loves to make modifications on a true audiophile players. Some of them has modded CK4 (not CK4+) as a result they says that it sounds like a big brother Colorfly C4 or even better.

I've seen some of those mods floating around online, I'll have to fly you over with your soldering iron, put you to work on my CK4+ tongue_smile.gif

We can get guides from the internet.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/25/12 at 4:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly CK4 first review