Is there a clear difference in SQ between the V-DAC II and the M1?
- categoryDACstagged by System, 9/21/11
- productIbasso d4 Mambatagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLittle Dot MK IItagged by System, 9/21/11
- brandMusical Fidelitytagged by System, 9/21/11
- productMusical Fidelity V-DAC II Upsampling Digital-to-Analog Converter with Asynchronous USB Inputtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMusical Fidelity V-Link IItagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- DAC newbie question Last post on 4/2/13 at 1:21pm in Dedicated Source Components
- USB DAC suggestions needed for Senn 650 / KICAS amp? Last post on 10/8/12 at 9:37am in Dedicated Source Components
- please recommend USB DAC Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:35pm in Computer Audio
- new DAC for Grado HF2 Last post on 8/25/12 at 6:39am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DAC for Beyer T70p Last post on 7/24/12 at 12:09pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
At the time this review was written, the Super Dolphin earphone was listed for sale on AK Audio Store’s Aliexpress website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Preamble: Advanced AcousticWerkes, in short known as AAW, is a Singapore based audio product manufacturer best known for custom-moulded in-ear monitors (CIEMs). Not long ago, they have...
The Soundaware Esther M1Pro provides a immersive sound experience held down by its dated interface and firmware. Its like driving a luxury car with all its comfort but with a dated design...
I am lucky. Very lucky. As I listened last Sunday to the i5, not only did we have the first good (not hard, but good) freeze of the Fall, but since I had been up since just before sunrise, I was...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Bluetooth version of Mee Audio's classic budget earphone, the M9B. Mee Audio, formerly MEElectronics, has been around since 2005 and is...
Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II - Page 5post #61 of 9212/28/11 at 4:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 9212/29/11 at 7:53pm
I've had the vdac II for a little while and I must say I'm impressed. I wanted to try it since another headfier here made a bold claim about it sounding better than the marantz sa8004. So I was really curious about how it sounded. Well it doesn't sound better than the marantz to my ears. Not even as good. The marantz just does everything better and is in another league. But for 350.00, it gets you close to the performance of a 500-600.00 dac. It's really close the the meier stage dac, but gets edged out by it and that's really high praise for a dac in this price range. I will say if you don't want to spend megabucks on a dac, then put this on your short list. It sounds excellent for the price imo, and the usb input does sound a little better than optical/coaxial from the motherboard. So no need for a usb/spdif converter with this one.post #63 of 9212/29/11 at 9:23pmpost #64 of 9212/29/11 at 10:28pm
I compared the two first playing using the marantz as a transport and optical out into the vdac, then optical from a pc, and finally using a sony cd player as a transport using optical out to both. I really don't understand how you can say that the vdac sounds better than the marantz. But even playing a cd from the marantz using the analog outs sounded better than using the marantz as a transport into the vdac. The marantz is more analog sounding, has a much deeper sound stage, and has better imaging.
But still the vdac II sounds really good for the price and comparing it the the meier stage dac was a closer fight with the meier stage dac edging it out with it's deeper sound stage. At 350.00 the vdac II is a winner, but it's no giant killer. But it can slay bigger foes, but definitely not giants. But I'll say it again, if one doesn't want to spent four figures on a dac, then the vdac II is a very good option. But if you spend sa8004 type money, then you will have something of higher quality when it comes to sound. I like the vdac II so much, I'm wondering how good the M1 A is, and may return it for one of those since I really would like something with balanced outs for my stax rig. It may be closer to actually besting the marantz.post #65 of 9212/30/11 at 10:17ampost #66 of 9212/30/11 at 10:22am
I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on that one. Just so many options around that price range right now. But I will say listening to the vdac II have made me a fan of musical fidelity dacs. I really like that it doesn't add anything to the sound and tries to stay out of the way. But there are a few things keeping it from performing with the higher end dacs. But the M1 A may have the few things the vdac II is lacking.post #67 of 921/12/12 at 6:42am
If the M1 is a lot better than the V-DAC II then it really is something special.
I am really impressed with the V_DAC II and Russ Andrews Powerpak II psu. Having had it playing now for a few weeks, there is more weight to the low frequencies and the involvement factor has increased. In my book it is an outright bargain.
My db Audiolabs Tranquility DAC is on it's way back to me after being repaired, they also fitted the improved 2012 output section for free. Looking forward to comparing the two DACS. Audio memory is a funny thing with me but from what I can remember the Tranquility has the edge in the high frequencies, being more refined.
Quote:post #68 of 921/31/12 at 2:22pm
I am interested in buying the V DAC II + V CAN II, anyone know why there is so little talked about these amps/dacs? I am considering this or Shiit Bifrost + Shiit amp, and there just isn't nearly as much information on the Musical Fidelity equipment.post #69 of 922/25/12 at 12:35pm
Maybe because the V-Dac's look a bit toyish/not high end like?
I was considering also the Bifrost,but I think I go for the V-Dac II.
Get me a Rechargable 12 V Lion Battery to feed it,and save me some money to get a decent coaxial cable.
Think that combo is hard to beat for the price!post #70 of 923/6/12 at 2:21pm
Pulled the trigger on the V-DAC 2.
I can't compare to other DAC's but from out of the box it sounds allready pretty damn good.
I connected it with a 5 buck optical cable which I ripped of my DVD player,because my silver S/PDIF is still on the way.
Also still have the walmart connected,and soon will change it for a 12 V LI-po battery:
First feelings are very good,now it's burning in time:-)post #71 of 923/6/12 at 5:03pmpost #72 of 923/7/12 at 12:44pmpost #73 of 923/8/12 at 6:52pmpost #74 of 923/9/12 at 9:23pmpost #75 of 923/9/12 at 9:27pm
- Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Band Name Game II 10 seconds ago
- › Audio-Opus OPUS #11 15 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 37 seconds ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 1 minute ago
- › Songs that make us bust a move! 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 3 minutes ago
- › [Canada, USA] - Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Multibit DAC (Black finish) 3 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 4 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by Hisoundfi
- › AAW Nebula One Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitor by HiFiChris
- › Soundaware Esther by tassardar
- › Cayin i5 by ngoshawk
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear