Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II - Page 4

post #46 of 91

Does anyone who's tried both old and new vdac think that its worth upgrading..? I've got the old one and use it for coaxial only, don't use the usb.  

post #47 of 91

OK reset my last post.  The VDAC II came into its own when I hooked it to the other system - the one with the computer and HDTracks 24/96 downloads.  I've ordered a VLINK II for my legacy DAC (ECD-1, modded by Empirical Audio).  This stuff really, really works, and is as cheap as popcorn. (well almost).

post #48 of 91

I had been using the V-DAC II for several weeks, with my old Tripp-Lite PR-3 regulated power supply. I reported on how that sounded in a previous post in this thread. Anyways, received my V-PSU II finally and I have to say it is MUCH better with the V-PSU II. I was actually surprised because I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it does. It has now elevated the performance of standard ALAC (16-bit/44k) files far above what they used to be and 24/96 files are definitely, though less obviously better as well.

 

The improvement is almost entirely in bass response, mostly in the attack rather than the frequency range. Certain albums almost felt as if the speakers actually got bigger from the previous listening without the PSU II. Also, soundstage widened considerably. My friend has a nice vinyl set up (Thorens TT with Jolida amp powering Klipsch LaScalas), and we were listening to Wayne Shorter's All Seeing Eye. In his set-up, on vinyl, there was a distinct sax part that felt like it was tickling my left ear from behind--an amazing 3-D sound trick. I do not have that album on vinyl, but I do have it on ALAC and never was able to replicate that "ear tickling" part on my system. With the PSU II, though, that part "tickled" my left temple, which was really amazing because it never reached far beyond the speaker before. I listened to several more tracks from other albums and noticed that the soundstage now had a very broad x, y and z axis. Before, there was 3-D, but it probably didn't extend more than 3 feet beyond the speakers.

 

Nothing else changed in my Digital and Analog System except the addition of the V-PSU II (and V-LPS II for my vinyl). I'm very glad I purchased this since I was somewhat skeptical that the power supply would be that much better than the Tripp-Lite. Call me a convert.

 

PS: The V-LPS II, for those that are interested, hasn't seemed to benefit as much from being powered by the V-PSU II, but I only listened to one record so far.

post #49 of 91

Jonpost,

 

I believe you are right to suspect that they are (Supersonido) mixing  up the V-Link II with the V-Link 192. £99 translates roughly to €149, the quoted price. There's no way they could offer the V-Link 192 sor such a Low price. In fact, I have bought from them before and I wasn't too Impressed with the service. Therefore I am also suspicious...

 

Leonel

post #50 of 91

Well, the V-Link II arrived today, and I put it between a laptop loaded with 24/96 downloads and my Empirical Audio modded Electrocompaniet ECD-1.  Very nice!  These guys really seem to have gotten a handle on "jitter."  Very smooth and coherent sound.  No brittleness on strings or voices.  Choice of USB cable is rather critical.  Anyone got any recommendations for an inexpensive cable I can find locally that works well for them?  I've got several here, and just swap 'em in and out until I find the one that sounds best. (The best sounding one I have is the Belkin Pro, btw, the one the Apple Store sells for 16.95).

I'm really interested in the V-192 - but I thought I read somewhere that USB itself is limited to about 24/96?  I might be mistaken.


Edited by Downrange - 12/10/11 at 8:14pm
post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-t View Post

I had been using the V-DAC II for several weeks, with my old Tripp-Lite PR-3 regulated power supply. I reported on how that sounded in a previous post in this thread. Anyways, received my V-PSU II finally and I have to say it is MUCH better with the V-PSU II. I was actually surprised because I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it does. It has now elevated the performance of standard ALAC (16-bit/44k) files far above what they used to be and 24/96 files are definitely, though less obviously better as well.

 

The improvement is almost entirely in bass response, mostly in the attack rather than the frequency range. Certain albums almost felt as if the speakers actually got bigger from the previous listening without the PSU II. Also, soundstage widened considerably. My friend has a nice vinyl set up (Thorens TT with Jolida amp powering Klipsch LaScalas), and we were listening to Wayne Shorter's All Seeing Eye. In his set-up, on vinyl, there was a distinct sax part that felt like it was tickling my left ear from behind--an amazing 3-D sound trick. I do not have that album on vinyl, but I do have it on ALAC and never was able to replicate that "ear tickling" part on my system. With the PSU II, though, that part "tickled" my left temple, which was really amazing because it never reached far beyond the speaker before. I listened to several more tracks from other albums and noticed that the soundstage now had a very broad x, y and z axis. Before, there was 3-D, but it probably didn't extend more than 3 feet beyond the speakers.

 

Nothing else changed in my Digital and Analog System except the addition of the V-PSU II (and V-LPS II for my vinyl). I'm very glad I purchased this since I was somewhat skeptical that the power supply would be that much better than the Tripp-Lite. Call me a convert.

 

PS: The V-LPS II, for those that are interested, hasn't seemed to benefit as much from being powered by the V-PSU II, but I only listened to one record so far.


May I ask where you found the PSU II in the US?

 

Thanks

 

post #52 of 91

I didn't buy it in the US--I purchased it from DivineAudio.co.uk. They have it in stock. The best part is it is cheaper in the UK, plus you don't pay VAT, so even with the more expensive shipping, it is still significantly cheaper than here (even when it does become available).

 

No need to worry about the power difference, it is automatically switching, the only thing I had to do was use a US-plug figure-8 cable (I had a few handy, so didn't have to buy one). If you buy a second V-item, it ships for the same price as one item (they both fit in the same package/same weight class as one). I bought all my new V-items from Divine Audio and have been very happy with them.

 

post #53 of 91


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downrange View Post

Well, the V-Link II arrived today, and I put it between a laptop loaded with 24/96 downloads and my Empirical Audio modded Electrocompaniet ECD-1.  Very nice!  These guys really seem to have gotten a handle on "jitter."  Very smooth and coherent sound.  No brittleness on strings or voices.  Choice of USB cable is rather critical.  Anyone got any recommendations for an inexpensive cable I can find locally that works well for them?  I've got several here, and just swap 'em in and out until I find the one that sounds best. (The best sounding one I have is the Belkin Pro, btw, the one the Apple Store sells for 16.95).

I'm really interested in the V-192 - but I thought I read somewhere that USB itself is limited to about 24/96?  I might be mistaken.



With the original V-Link I was very pleased with the Audioquest Forest, about $25-$35 for the length I used.  In fact I preferred the Forest to the WireWorld Starlight, about $85, and the Furutech GT2, about $110.  I eventually upgraded to the Audioquest Carbon (about $110) just because I could reasonably afford it, and still use it with my current rig.

post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-t View Post

I didn't buy it in the US--I purchased it from DivineAudio.co.uk. They have it in stock. The best part is it is cheaper in the UK, plus you don't pay VAT, so even with the more expensive shipping, it is still significantly cheaper than here (even when it does become available).

 

No need to worry about the power difference, it is automatically switching, the only thing I had to do was use a US-plug figure-8 cable (I had a few handy, so didn't have to buy one). If you buy a second V-item, it ships for the same price as one item (they both fit in the same package/same weight class as one). I bought all my new V-items from Divine Audio and have been very happy with them.

 



Thanks!

post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by judmarc View Post


 



With the original V-Link I was very pleased with the Audioquest Forest, about $25-$35 for the length I used.  In fact I preferred the Forest to the WireWorld Starlight, about $85, and the Furutech GT2, about $110.  I eventually upgraded to the Audioquest Carbon (about $110) just because I could reasonably afford it, and still use it with my current rig.



Thanks Jud, I'll keep this in mind.  I actually just picked up a Belkin Gold, as the cable gauges are the same as the Pro that worked well, I can't hear much difference (if any) between them, but they're much better than a shorter, cheaper cable I had laying around - night and day.  I continue to marvel at the performance the V-DacII and VLinkII are delivering in my systems.

post #56 of 91

Just bought a V-DAC II to tied me over while my main dac goes back for repair. Very pleased with what I am hearing, fatigue free but detailed sound.

Not using the supplied wall wart as I had a Russ Andrews Powerpak II kicking about under the stairs.

The dac sounded great straight out of the box and there have been no real improvements up to the current 50 hour mark. Has anyone here, who has had the dac for a while, noticed any sonic improvements with burn in?

post #57 of 91

What else is different between the V-Link & V-Link II besides the 14/192K?  If I don't have any 192K content, will I hear any difference between the old vs. new V-Link?

 

I have the V-DAC MKII and I like how it sounds for the money, but it doesn't beat the M1 DAC.  

 

 

 


Edited by DjAmTraX - 12/27/11 at 9:41pm
post #58 of 91

^ ^ Are you using the standard psu with the V-DAC II?

post #59 of 91

Looking into buying a v-link to use between pc and ibasso db2 (and future dac/amp upgrades). I can't find any reason to get the v-link II, does anyone know if the v-link II has any advantages over the original v-link?

post #60 of 91

No, I'm using a Welborne Labs PSU with the V-DAC Mkii. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II