Hi guys, i have the chance to either buy an IE8 or HD650's, but i can't afford an amp so which one should i go for? will the hd650 sound better than the ie8 with no amp? or Vice-versa?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSandisk Sansa Clip 8GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Does sennheiser give an authetiction card when you buy their product? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Do IEM phones sound better than full-size phones? Last post on 7/15/10 at 11:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me find a realistic amp for $800 or less Last post on 10/12/11 at 3:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 200-300 dollar cans for alternative rock. Last post on 9/15/11 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598 vs. IE8 Last post on 9/9/11 at 9:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
Ampsandsound Agartha: Silken Simplicity Reviewed by: Dillan (Photo source: ampsandsound.com) Introduction Tube amplifiers are a real hard thing to get right. Some people...
I first started with the ath a900x which i fell in love with. Recently they broke, and i did not have the money to purchases them again or the newer model. So i took a chance and got the a550z, for...
-Introduction- RHA is an interesting company. It has forged its own place within the audiophile world, making a name for itself based on the industrial design language of its products and the...
Welcome to the review of wireless + Wired High resolution in ear monitors Advanced Model 3. Disclaimer: This headphones were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
sennheiser hd650....post #1 of 237/26/11 at 5:50amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 237/26/11 at 5:57am
Well, you should really also think about how you'll be using these cans. The IE8 has some isolation and is not the most comfortable of IEMs. The HD650 is a full-size, open can that can only really be used properly in a quiet environment. Clearly, both phones are intended for very different situations.
Back to your questions - The IE8 requires no additional amp, it sounds as good out of a Sansa Clip+ as it does out of a Graham Slee Voyager. It is a very easy to drive IEM. The HD650, on the other hand, with its 300 ohm impedance, will most likely require some additional amplification to be driven properly.
Edited by jupitreas - 7/26/11 at 5:58ampost #3 of 237/26/11 at 5:58amThread Starterpost #4 of 237/26/11 at 6:00am
Well, one is an IEM and one is a full-size open can, you can't really compare them.
With this said, personally, I'd say that the IE8 would do better unamped than the HD650. The HD650 has an overall better sound (amongst the best in fact) but it requires an amp to really appreciate it. Your mileage may vary though.post #5 of 237/26/11 at 6:02amThread Starterpost #6 of 237/26/11 at 6:05ampost #7 of 237/26/11 at 8:22amThread Starterpost #8 of 237/26/11 at 8:54am
Really? I don't think the IE8 can compare to the 650 even unamped.. I only auditioned the 650 amped and own the 600, which is supposedly easier to drive, but I notice only a slight improvement with amp while the IE8 just sounds muddy in comparison. and IEMs are not as comfortable as full size cans (if even they can be called comfortable) and could irritate your ear canals.post #9 of 237/26/11 at 8:56pm
Its not really possible to compare an IEM with a full-size can anyway. Nevertheless, both the IE8 and HD650 are amongst the best in their categories. I personally didn't find the IE8 to ever sound muddy (at the lowest bass setting). The HD650 (when amped) also has a slight mid-bass hump, like the IE8 does and could also be described as dark, much like the IE8 can.
The thing is that the HD650 is really hard to drive by most consumer equipment and will not sound good that way. Given that the OP is not planning on purchasing an amp, the IE8 seems like the better option since it will perform at the top of its abilities with most sources.post #10 of 237/26/11 at 9:02pmpost #11 of 237/27/11 at 12:13am
Hmm, YMMV. I like the sound of balanced armatures, so anything dynamic sounds somewhat muddy to me. Agree that overall they are top-tier universals though and share the Sennheiser house sound.
Also, the HD650 will probably not sound too bad unamped. I guess there are two questions for the OP: Are you comfortable with listening to IEMs for the whole of you listening sessions? And do you plan to buy a better source and better amp in the near future? A good amp from a good source will improve the sound of course, but if OP does want to upgrade later, I see no point in restricting him to an IEM unless he needs it to be portable. OP, why not consider other headphones as well?post #12 of 237/27/11 at 3:18amThread Starter
i have a £200 budget, roughly 330 USD, and for that price i can either get a new pair of IE8's or a second hand hd650's.So im just seeing which sounds better un amped.
Edited by masuuuuud - 7/27/11 at 3:43ampost #13 of 237/27/11 at 3:56am
$140 for Shure SRH-840 + $190 for some amp. Such investment will beat both unamped cans you've chosen
HD650 are far better than the IEMs but they have 300ohm impedance. Unamped will sound bad.
Edited by brat - 7/27/11 at 3:58ampost #14 of 237/27/11 at 8:41am
Perhaps the OP is into the Sennheiser sound, a pair of Shure cans won't satisfy him since they have a completely different sound signature. I can see that you have a Shure SRH-840, but perhaps this option might not be the best for everyone. I know I wouldn't go for them personally.post #15 of 237/27/11 at 10:59am
OP, with your budget, why don't you buy something cheaper and save some money? A lot of the search for the best headphone is indeed about the journey after all.. explore other headphones (buy entry level headphones, they can give you a general impression of the brand's house sound), or if you like Senn's, maybe a used 580 modded to be similar to the 600? Or why not open a thread in the headphones section or post in the ask for headphones advice thread stating budget, headphone style, music preferences etc? People here are willing to help, you know.
Sorry if I seem like a real nagger in this thread, but I definitely wouldn't recommend buying an amp that costs a deal more than sub 200$ headphones. Personally, I haven't heard the Shure SRH-840, but unless you have directly compared the Shures amped (suggestion for an amp would be appropriate too) with the 650 and the IE8, I think that is a misleading claim. Sub 200$ headphones generally are easy to drive and do not benefit much from amping. Also even for 190$, decent amps are hard to find.
- sennheiser hd650....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver... 9 seconds ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › New iRiver AK70 2 minutes ago
- › La Figaro 339 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Fidelizer appreciation and impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo issue solutions thread. 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 5 minutes ago
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...