Hi guys, i have the chance to either buy an IE8 or HD650's, but i can't afford an amp so which one should i go for? will the hd650 sound better than the ie8 with no amp? or Vice-versa?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSandisk Sansa Clip 8GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Does sennheiser give an authetiction card when you buy their product? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Do IEM phones sound better than full-size phones? Last post on 7/15/10 at 11:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me find a realistic amp for $800 or less Last post on 10/12/11 at 3:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 200-300 dollar cans for alternative rock. Last post on 9/15/11 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598 vs. IE8 Last post on 9/9/11 at 9:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
First and foremost, I have experience with several different headphones, namely much of the Ultrasone series (Pro 900, Pro 750), Denon D2000, D5000, and Fostex TH600. I mainly deal with closed back...
The housing has a rounder shape then the vsd3/5 and i much prefer it this way. While the shape and looks is simple, it does not feel very cheap. The diamond cut shape on the vsd3/5 seems a little...
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
I've always looked into "budget-fi" since I've got more interested in proper headphones thus making me get the CALs, Takstar Pro 80s and now the Somic MH463. I will be doing some direct comparisons...
sennheiser hd650....post #1 of 237/26/11 at 5:50amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 237/26/11 at 5:57am
Well, you should really also think about how you'll be using these cans. The IE8 has some isolation and is not the most comfortable of IEMs. The HD650 is a full-size, open can that can only really be used properly in a quiet environment. Clearly, both phones are intended for very different situations.
Back to your questions - The IE8 requires no additional amp, it sounds as good out of a Sansa Clip+ as it does out of a Graham Slee Voyager. It is a very easy to drive IEM. The HD650, on the other hand, with its 300 ohm impedance, will most likely require some additional amplification to be driven properly.
Edited by jupitreas - 7/26/11 at 5:58ampost #3 of 237/26/11 at 5:58amThread Starterpost #4 of 237/26/11 at 6:00am
Well, one is an IEM and one is a full-size open can, you can't really compare them.
With this said, personally, I'd say that the IE8 would do better unamped than the HD650. The HD650 has an overall better sound (amongst the best in fact) but it requires an amp to really appreciate it. Your mileage may vary though.post #5 of 237/26/11 at 6:02amThread Starterpost #6 of 237/26/11 at 6:05ampost #7 of 237/26/11 at 8:22amThread Starterpost #8 of 237/26/11 at 8:54am
Really? I don't think the IE8 can compare to the 650 even unamped.. I only auditioned the 650 amped and own the 600, which is supposedly easier to drive, but I notice only a slight improvement with amp while the IE8 just sounds muddy in comparison. and IEMs are not as comfortable as full size cans (if even they can be called comfortable) and could irritate your ear canals.post #9 of 237/26/11 at 8:56pm
Its not really possible to compare an IEM with a full-size can anyway. Nevertheless, both the IE8 and HD650 are amongst the best in their categories. I personally didn't find the IE8 to ever sound muddy (at the lowest bass setting). The HD650 (when amped) also has a slight mid-bass hump, like the IE8 does and could also be described as dark, much like the IE8 can.
The thing is that the HD650 is really hard to drive by most consumer equipment and will not sound good that way. Given that the OP is not planning on purchasing an amp, the IE8 seems like the better option since it will perform at the top of its abilities with most sources.post #10 of 237/26/11 at 9:02pmpost #11 of 237/27/11 at 12:13am
Hmm, YMMV. I like the sound of balanced armatures, so anything dynamic sounds somewhat muddy to me. Agree that overall they are top-tier universals though and share the Sennheiser house sound.
Also, the HD650 will probably not sound too bad unamped. I guess there are two questions for the OP: Are you comfortable with listening to IEMs for the whole of you listening sessions? And do you plan to buy a better source and better amp in the near future? A good amp from a good source will improve the sound of course, but if OP does want to upgrade later, I see no point in restricting him to an IEM unless he needs it to be portable. OP, why not consider other headphones as well?post #12 of 237/27/11 at 3:18amThread Starter
i have a £200 budget, roughly 330 USD, and for that price i can either get a new pair of IE8's or a second hand hd650's.So im just seeing which sounds better un amped.
Edited by masuuuuud - 7/27/11 at 3:43ampost #13 of 237/27/11 at 3:56am
$140 for Shure SRH-840 + $190 for some amp. Such investment will beat both unamped cans you've chosen
HD650 are far better than the IEMs but they have 300ohm impedance. Unamped will sound bad.
Edited by brat - 7/27/11 at 3:58ampost #14 of 237/27/11 at 8:41am
Perhaps the OP is into the Sennheiser sound, a pair of Shure cans won't satisfy him since they have a completely different sound signature. I can see that you have a Shure SRH-840, but perhaps this option might not be the best for everyone. I know I wouldn't go for them personally.post #15 of 237/27/11 at 10:59am
OP, with your budget, why don't you buy something cheaper and save some money? A lot of the search for the best headphone is indeed about the journey after all.. explore other headphones (buy entry level headphones, they can give you a general impression of the brand's house sound), or if you like Senn's, maybe a used 580 modded to be similar to the 600? Or why not open a thread in the headphones section or post in the ask for headphones advice thread stating budget, headphone style, music preferences etc? People here are willing to help, you know.
Sorry if I seem like a real nagger in this thread, but I definitely wouldn't recommend buying an amp that costs a deal more than sub 200$ headphones. Personally, I haven't heard the Shure SRH-840, but unless you have directly compared the Shures amped (suggestion for an amp would be appropriate too) with the 650 and the IE8, I think that is a misleading claim. Sub 200$ headphones generally are easy to drive and do not benefit much from amping. Also even for 190$, decent amps are hard to find.
- sennheiser hd650....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 seconds ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Pebble Steel 3 minutes ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2