Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

First sorry for my english.

I want to buy a new headphones for around 400-450$ from ebay or any thing else with worldwide delivery .

I thought about hd598 \ denon d2000 \ k701 \ k702 \ Q701 \ Beyerdynamic DT 7/8/970 or some ultrasone.

The headphones will be connected to pc sound card from Rampage 2 extreme (pretty much a regular sound card) I dont have an amp i can do some simple DIY like cmoy amp or to buy something very simple and cheap for max 50$. I do have right now an Asus Xonar D2X but I want to sell it and my headphones add an extra money and buy a new headphones but if the sound card can help without an amp maybe I will kepep it.

I use the headphones for music and gaming 50%-50% and sometimes for movies. I listen almost to every genre except classic and jazz.

Right now I have Audio Technica ATH-AD700 excellent headphones but I want sometihng better specially a better bass I very missing the bass with my ad700 specially at electronic music.

The headphones must be very comfortable so I can ware them all day.


Edited by SpyroRM - 7/29/11 at 7:31am
post #2 of 27

These headphones are recommended DT990, Ultrasone HFI2400, HD600, HD650 and SA5000.

post #3 of 27

Heya,

 

DT990 is your headphone. You want bassy, but you still want to game often so sound stage and all will be important. An open-air Beyer DT990 will do that. Plus it's great for most music and excellent for movies (rumbling bass in movies is great right?).

 

I say that because you don't have an amp. Get the 32ohm version of the headphone. No amp needed. So you can get this done in one purchase.

 

That said I want to point out something to help you either save money or regroup your game plan here. You're about to get a very expensive headphone to hook into a very mediocre, to poor, source. Doing this will not really increase sound quality, it will simply let you experience the flaws and problems with such a poor source. Games have compressed audio. The soundcard has a limited ability to shield noise from the signals and doesn't really have a good DAC. So you've got poor source material (sound from games) being fed out through a poor/mediocre DAC (sound card) into some nice headphones. My point is, you would be better off saving money on headphones here. Buying $300+ headphones will not yield awesome sound when both your source material and DAC are limited. Hooking up hifi headphones to sources like that will just let you hear how compressed and jittery and flawed the sound is. I wouldn't spend $300 just to get more bass. I would suggest you get some $100 headphones instead that simply have better bass response.

 

Or, if you plan on eventually getting better source related material, then maybe consider some nicer headphones.

 

Regardless, I still recommend the DT990 for you. You can likely use any impedance version and get good enough sound volume. You could probably get the 600ohm even. But if in doubt, the 32ohm and 250ohm will certainly produce volume for you from the soundcard. It has the sound qualities and technical ability you would need for your options here. They're pretty easy to drive. But again, I can't help but point out that poor source leading to nice headphones will not result in better sound. You'll get better bass for sure, but not higher quality anything really.

 

Maybe upgrade soundcards? Check out the HD Titanium. Positioning, decent DAC, good amp built in. You still have to deal with the fact that the games' audio are not lossless or high quality at all, so the `garbage in, garbage out' holds true no matter what. End of the day, bad source is just going to be bad sound. It doesn't magically get better with hardware.

 

So that's why I suggest not spending much if you're using it to play games half the time. Hifi gear and gaming just doesn't make much sense to me. But that's merely my opinion, others may have other options or ideas for you.

 

Very best,

post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 

I don't want to buy headphones for 100$ with just a better bass and worse sound quality I want a much better bass but it's not the most important thing to me.I would like to here about headphones better than my ad700 for lass than 200$ too.

 

HD650 and SA5000 is more than 350$+ the hd650 must have an amp from what I know.

 

I got right now an asus xonar d2x as I said from what I remember from my research when I bought it the asus was better than titanium its also got a dac and amp. I am not a fan of virtual sarround or some other gimmicks for gaming so I don't see a reson to upgrade a sound card will be better to buy an amp\dac.

 

I listen to music few hours every day and while I am playing too sometimes so I think there a reson to buy a hifi gear.

What is the difference in sound between the DT990 versions? I also found a DT990 250ohm version very cheap so I have no problem to buy an amp for 100-150$.

About amp maybe in future I will buy one. what about the simple ones? cmoy amps and some others for 50$? 100$? If I will buy an amp is there some other headphones u suggest to buy and what u think about the Ultrasone HFI24\500, ultrasone pro 750? HD598 are they good? I like their style don't think that style is important to me being an owner of ad700 is a good proof for this I think but it's always nice to have a good looking headphones.

 

post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 

I thought a bit about the gaming part and it's not 50-50 at all. Most of the time when I play I am talking with friends on skype so the sound of the game is low and I don't really pay attention to it or I listen to music so it's more like 80/90% music 20/10% gaming when I really pay attention to the sound and sometimes for movies too. So is there some other headphones u will suggest? 

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

DT990 is your headphone. You want bassy, but you still want to game often so sound stage and all will be important. An open-air Beyer DT990 will do that. Plus it's great for most music and excellent for movies (rumbling bass in movies is great right?).

 

I say that because you don't have an amp. Get the 32ohm version of the headphone. No amp needed. So you can get this done in one purchase.

 

That said I want to point out something to help you either save money or regroup your game plan here. You're about to get a very expensive headphone to hook into a very mediocre, to poor, source. Doing this will not really increase sound quality, it will simply let you experience the flaws and problems with such a poor source. Games have compressed audio. The soundcard has a limited ability to shield noise from the signals and doesn't really have a good DAC. So you've got poor source material (sound from games) being fed out through a poor/mediocre DAC (sound card) into some nice headphones. My point is, you would be better off saving money on headphones here. Buying $300+ headphones will not yield awesome sound when both your source material and DAC are limited. Hooking up hifi headphones to sources like that will just let you hear how compressed and jittery and flawed the sound is. I wouldn't spend $300 just to get more bass. I would suggest you get some $100 headphones instead that simply have better bass response.

 

Or, if you plan on eventually getting better source related material, then maybe consider some nicer headphones.

 

Regardless, I still recommend the DT990 for you. You can likely use any impedance version and get good enough sound volume. You could probably get the 600ohm even. But if in doubt, the 32ohm and 250ohm will certainly produce volume for you from the soundcard. It has the sound qualities and technical ability you would need for your options here. They're pretty easy to drive. But again, I can't help but point out that poor source leading to nice headphones will not result in better sound. You'll get better bass for sure, but not higher quality anything really.

 

Maybe upgrade soundcards? Check out the HD Titanium. Positioning, decent DAC, good amp built in. You still have to deal with the fact that the games' audio are not lossless or high quality at all, so the `garbage in, garbage out' holds true no matter what. End of the day, bad source is just going to be bad sound. It doesn't magically get better with hardware.

 

So that's why I suggest not spending much if you're using it to play games half the time. Hifi gear and gaming just doesn't make much sense to me. But that's merely my opinion, others may have other options or ideas for you.

 

Very best,


****, are you in sales or something? Your post sounds like a clever sales pitch - not hating or anything, just made me grin a little at the ingenuity, naming one headphone from the get-go and walking him through his gear while assuming the DT990 as the one he will buy ;)

But OP yeah.. consider Denon D2k? They're quite capable too and sound more natural to me if you listen to music. For gaming and movies, I'd recommend Beyer DT880/990 too.. And keep the Xonar D2X, it's a good card. IMHO, if you're getting the Denon or the Beyer (maybe not the 600 Ohm version), you don't have to get an amp for it at first. Maybe later on if you really like your headphones and have gained some more experience with other headphones. Amps are really overrated on these forums. They are meant for tweaking the sound of your preferred headphones once you have found your "perfect" headphone (or to properly drive hard to drive headphones of which there are not too many). The whole scare about hard to drive headphones (read: mainly HD650 and K701) has blown the importance of amps way out of proportion IMO. Really pointless of some people to recommend splitting a 300$ budget into 200$ headphones and 100$. At this price point, there is no hard to drive headphone (please don't point out exceptions, I'm only generalizing), the sound quality is not high enough to notice a difference anyway and a 100$ amp does more harm than anything else. End of rant.

post #7 of 27

i'll second the 990 recommendation.  i love them.  and they are pretty versitile. 

post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyroRM View Post

I thought a bit about the gaming part and it's not 50-50 at all. Most of the time when I play I am talking with friends on skype so the sound of the game is low and I don't really pay attention to it or I listen to music so it's more like 80/90% music 20/10% gaming when I really pay attention to the sound and sometimes for movies too. So is there some other headphones u will suggest? 


Heya,

 

Well if gaming is a lot lower on the totem pole, that makes a lot more sense to get more into hifi price tags. The HD598 is a great headphone. The Ultrasone Pro 750 is as well (though I think you'd like the Pro 900 better). Also check out the Shure 940's. The AKG 701/2's are a lot lighter on bass, which is opposite of what you were saying you're looking to get more of (even though they're great headphones). I would also point you towards the Grado SR225i as well.

 

By the way, Headphones.com has a 15% off headphones deal going on until the end of July. Dunno if they ship worldwid, but check into it. They're a sponsor here, so good to support.

 

Very best,

post #9 of 27

I'm really happy with my HD598s with my Xonar Essence ST. The soundstage is fantastic and though it's a little light on the bass, from what I understand it's not as light as AD700s. Either way it fits my listening needs and produces among the clearest sounds I've heard. Music, movies, and games are all great. The headphones are comfortable enough to go eight hours at a time, no problem. I have yet to be disappointed with those purchases and would recommend the same to anyone with a budget in that range.

 

Looking at the stats on your current sound card puts it just a little behind my own, so I can't say that would be a world different - though it may very well be. ASUS seems to think they belong in different categories. The 1/4 inch plugs on the ST seem to aim more towards the audiophile crowd. In either case that may be something to look into upgrading - maybe even to a dedicated amp instead of a card.

 

A buddy of mine has his Grado PS1000 hooked into a WooAudio 6 SE amp - an outrageous setup by my standards - but the sound isn't a world different from what I am used to. As a side note, for how much he paid, they certainly aren't very comfortable.


Edited by screwzloos - 7/26/11 at 12:24pm
post #10 of 27

I second the DT990/32ohm recommendation.

post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 

I think I will buy the DT990. What is the difference between all the models as I know there is 2003 and 2005 models also pro and premium models and 32/80/250/320/600 ohm models.

I think Headphones.com don't have a worldwide delivery sent them an email about it to be sure. Is there some other shops with worldwide delivery?

What headphones would you suggest for 200$ or 250$ and how they compare to the dt 990? 300$ Is a lot of money to me not sure if I will spent them on headphones.

post #12 of 27

If you want the improved difference in sound quality when add AMPs then DT990(600 Ohm) is highely recommended, if not then lower ohm versions willbe easy to drive and gives more volume. BTW Ultrasone headphones are known for there details revealing quality bass heavy sound like on Pro 900, Pro 2900, HFI2400/2500 and Edition series(Ed8, Ed9).


Edited by ZARIM - 7/27/11 at 9:10am
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 

Dose any one know a shop that has a worldwide delivery?

What headphones would you suggest for 200$ or 250$ and how they compare to the dt 990? 300$ Is a lot of money to me not sure if I will spent them on headphones.

post #14 of 27

if you want bass and good sq, go for some darthbeyers.or luke skybeyers.they were introduced to me a couple of days ago and ive researched them and they sound amazing.  plus, it would be hard to find something sexier than darth beyers with bloodwood cups cool.gif

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyroRM View Post

Dose any one know a shop that has a worldwide delivery?

What headphones would you suggest for 200$ or 250$ and how they compare to the dt 990? 300$ Is a lot of money to me not sure if I will spent them on headphones.


Heya,

 

Does Amazon ship to you? Where are you located?

 

You can also explore going used, that way you can have them shipped from anywhere basically.

 

Very best,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$