Great review Rob, thanks for the efforts, it always very useful.
Related Forum Threads
- Best Amp/DAC Combo with HD800 Last post on 11/5/12 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Greetings Head-fi, Today we are going to be checking out another HDSS equipped earphone from the team at Blue Ever Blue; the Model 1001. Based out of Washington, D.C., Blue Ever Blue (BeB) exploded...
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
REVIEW: Apex Arête Headphone Amplifier - Page 3post #31 of 407/29/11 at 7:11am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 407/29/11 at 4:49pmQuote:
No, I haven't, but thanks for the recommendation. I'm leaning toward the Peak because it seems to be favored over the Arete, going by early reports, but I'm having a hard time with whether or not the Peak is truly transparent. Specifically, how is it possible for a tube amp to be transparent when rolling can make such a difference in what we hear?
Despite the recently discussed theoretical advantage of vacuum tubes, I strongly suspect that, at best, a tube or hybrid amp can achieve genuine transparency only when it is designed, tweaked, and tuned for a very specific tube (or set of tubes). I'm thinking that rolling to a different tube set would surely destroy transparency, even if you started with perfection - which makes all tube amps suspect, in my mind. Not that transparency is automatically guaranteed with solid-state designs. It just seems that as soon as you make the choice to go with tubes, you've made transparency a lower priority than some of the transparency-killing traits for which tubes are justifiably prized.
I'm frankly intimidated by tubes - I don't want to get caught up in building a collection of them to suit my changes in mood or the genre of music I'm playing. I realize that I'll be missing out on all that fun, but my instinct is to get my hands on an amp that is commonly acknowledged as being ridiculously transparent, detailed, and neutral. Basically, I'm looking for a Stepdance on steroids.
Mikepost #33 of 407/29/11 at 5:23pmTube rolling is a weird animal, and honestly in my experiences is a total bitch. After years of fiddling with tube amps, and the increasing growth of my 11 month year old daughter, solid state is for me just out of convenience. I am the choir director of a pretty decent size high school program and I just don't have the time to tweak and fiddle like I used to before.
If you are referring to different tube sets that can be subbed for each other, like a 5751 for a 12ax7, then the difference is pretty obvious. Many tubes which can be subbed for each other are actually pretty different, they have completely different distortion and gain characteristics, and simply changing one out for the other will obviously give you different results as the essentially both tubes are being biased and loaded differently which makes them perform in different areas of their distortion curve. As for changing from one 6sn7 to another, after years of tube rolling experience I have come to the theory that slight internal differences in the tube itself might lend them to having slightly difference electrical characteristics, and the possibility of age and corrosion over time, vacuum leak, getter contamination, etc. means that tubes, even of the same type, ultimately can behave electrically very different from what is stated on an official tube type electrical characteristics sheet. Just a theory and a hunch based on experience, but I do believe and wish more tube amp manufacturers just picked a single tube that was made very consistent across the whole manufacturing production of that series, and made sure the circuit was built to really maximize the tube itself, so us consumers didn't have to bother with rolling and fiddling. You don't hear of kids transistor rolling their solid state amps too often.
Somewhat on topic, but Pete millet is definitely an engineer who knows what he is doing and how to really maximize whatever tube he is using in a circuit. The $10,000 pinnacle is a wonderful circuit built around the px4 tube, and he uses the Sophia electric px4 which is a solid and stable operating tube and very consistent across the whole production line. IMO you would be silly to tube roll that wonderful amp when Pete clearly spent a lot of time getting that specific tube to shine.post #34 of 407/30/11 at 3:49ampost #35 of 407/30/11 at 7:53amThank you recstar24 - your experience has confirmed my thinking. I can't afford the likes of a properly desingned tube amp (i.e. Pinnacle), nor am I interested in playing flavor-of-the-month with tube rolling, so I'm going to stick with looking for a proper solid state amp. The Arete is certainly a contender.post #36 of 407/30/11 at 8:49am
Indeed they do. 30 days minus shipping. It was a deciding factor in my purchase. Of course I never needed it. I was hooked on the Peak/Volcano from the beginning. For those who ask "how can it really be transparent when it uses a tube?" They only need to hear it to put their fears to rest.
post #37 of 407/30/11 at 4:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by zilch0md
Thank you recstar24 - your experience has confirmed my thinking. I can't afford the likes of a properly desingned tube amp (i.e. Pinnacle), nor am I interested in playing flavor-of-the-month with tube rolling, so I'm going to stick with looking for a proper solid state amp. The Arete is certainly a contender.
No problem. IMHO there are many more excellent designed and wonderful sounding solid state stuff out there than tube. And most of them are significantly cheaper too. In addition to the apex audio stuff, I can personally highly recommend the head amp gear - the GS-1 is a personal favorite of mine, still one of the best solid state amps I've ever listened too, and should be on your short list if transparency and neutrality are priorities for you. I used to write for 6moons and my review is still in the archives, should be easy to find.post #38 of 408/4/11 at 7:59pm
- My stock question is how does the Arete/Volcano handle classical music?
- Any thoughts on its tonal balance across the range, and does it lean at all towards dryness?
- What dacs are being used with it?post #39 of 408/5/11 at 7:43ampost #40 of 408/13/11 at 7:13am
- REVIEW: Apex Arête Headphone Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 19 seconds ago
- › Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp 32 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 44 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 1 minute ago
- › Hidizs AP60 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 4 minutes ago
- › Entry-level USB DAC for Laptop Setup? (HiFimeDIY 9018 vs SMSL... 5 minutes ago
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear