Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club - Page 28

post #406 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightanswer@ear View Post

I'd like to hear of anyone's experiences using the DT1350 with the current (third generation) Apogee Duet's headphone out.

Good match? Any problems? The Duet headphone output impedance is around 30 Ohms. Best match I've experienced with the Duet so far is the Shure SRH940 and it's a sound I like a lot, being a decent tonal match with my monitors. So I'm intrigued by a couple of reviews I've read that suggested the DT1350 shared a lot of sound characteristics with the SRH940. 

Thanks!

Can't speak to the Duet, but I would disagree wholeheartedly with the 940 comparisons.

 

I've owned both.  While I enjoyed the 940s, the 1350s sound has much more body to it.  It's anchored by a stronger bass presence and the music is far less "thin" sounding.  It's possible they are making comparisons from a clarity standpoint, although even that is a stretch.  The 940s have a much "sharper" sound to them, but that's not always a good thing.  The 1350s have exceptional clarity without sounding artificial in any way.  The 940s do, of course, have slightly larger soundstage, but that's to be expected of a full-size headphone.

 

Bottom line, while I enjoyed the detail and clarity of the 940s, I find the 1350s to have a far more natural and enjoyable sound without any major sacrifice to clarity.  

post #407 of 800

SRH940 and DT1350 are very different. DT1350 is much warmer and has less aggressive treble. Overall, DT1350 sounds more natural but it does lack in terms of soundstage and clarity when compared to SRH940.

post #408 of 800

Thanks for the replies above. As well as using the SRH940 for top quality recordings, one thing I've liked about it is, despite its clarity and clear highs, when playing old recordings (I listen to a lot of film soundtracks going back as far as the 40s and 50s!) the headphone doesn't add harshness to the sound. Clarity, but not an aggressive reproduction that makes the old recordings intolerable. In contrast, listening to a headphone like the DT880 Pro would make those recordings sound super-appalling and absolutely wretched to the ear, magnifying every shortcoming.

So I'd be pretty pleased if the DT1350 had the ability to sound smooth with difficult recordings, rather than stress any roughness.But up till now, I've associated Beyer with highs I'm not keen on. 

Basically, I don't want something as nice and lush and " hi-fi" as the Sennheiser HD598, nor anything too bright. I don't really care much whether the right phone is open or closed or has a mediocre soundstage or an expansive one. What I really want is an even sound with smooth (and detailed) mids and an accurate but non-sibilant treble, for acoustic/orchestral music in new recordings and old. I've no interest in synthetic/electronic etc, though I do enjoy jazz, blues and some rock.  

Am I asking too much of the DT1350?   

post #409 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightanswer@ear View Post

Thanks for the replies above. As well as using the SRH940 for top quality recordings, one thing I've liked about it is, despite its clarity and clear highs, when playing old recordings (I listen to a lot of film soundtracks going back as far as the 40s and 50s!) the headphone doesn't add harshness to the sound. Clarity, but not an aggressive reproduction that makes the old recordings intolerable. In contrast, listening to a headphone like the DT880 Pro would make those recordings sound super-appalling and absolutely wretched to the ear, magnifying every shortcoming.

So I'd be pretty pleased if the DT1350 had the ability to sound smooth with difficult recordings, rather than stress any roughness.But up till now, I've associated Beyer with highs I'm not keen on. 

Basically, I don't want something as nice and lush and " hi-fi" as the Sennheiser HD598, nor anything too bright. I don't really care much whether the right phone is open or closed or has a mediocre soundstage or an expansive one. What I really want is an even sound with smooth (and detailed) mids and an accurate but non-sibilant treble, for acoustic/orchestral music in new recordings and old. I've no interest in synthetic/electronic etc, though I do enjoy jazz, blues and some rock.  

Am I asking too much of the DT1350?   

That sounds pretty much like DT1350, but just know that they have limited soundstage, so they might not be best for classical.

post #410 of 800

I can second that: the DT1350 is not overly bright (as I too associated with Beyerdynamic before that) but not dull either, I think it fits your description quite well. Give it a try...

post #411 of 800

Yep, fits your description really well actually. You don't seem to be bothered by a small soundstage and other than that I have nothing but praise for the DT1350. They are truly impressive little cans. You should definitely consider them.

post #412 of 800

So many beyer fanboys!

 

I'm thinking. Help me decide what to do:

1. Buy a MDR7550: More portable and comfortable set up. Also doesn't have full isolation, so I can use it on the road.

2. Buy another DT1350(I've had one): Overall better sound quality. Lacks comfort(the reason I sold them). Also has bit too much isolation for pedestrian use.

post #413 of 800

I have about 3 hrs listening to these so far...

general comments:

They are small compared to what I am used to.
Nice carrying case.
Well Built.
Thin cord.
Coiled cord is nice.
New softer pads seem very comfortable to me, don't really know how much bigger they are than the older original dt1350's.
Fairly easy fit to my ears/head.
Comes with the mini-rca and the 1/4 adapter and another two prong adapter? maybe iphone?

After listening to many, many really good music selections...my overall impression is "bass".

These small cans have very good, well articulated bass indeed.

It seems to add to the fullness or body listening to stuff. Makes it warm to me.

I listened over a variety of amps, preamp head sections, receivers, stand alone amps, internal and external dacs.

What stood out to me is the cans are good enough to tell the difference between mediocre source and really good sources.

At first I found that the voices that with other cans I felt were upfront are more recessed to me with the 1350's??

I found myself thinking that there was something wrong, I wound up cranking up the volume to hear the vocals and all the rest of
the music, instruments, etc filled in nicely.

Material and recordings do make a difference with these....Some old Rolling Stones Hot Rocks remastered are absolutely wonderful with these cans
I found myself really smiling listening to Satisfaction and As Tears Go By....simply amazing for these small transducers.

Eva Cassidy songs, Image etc are really nice.

Overall they are good cans, but they seem to be struggling with the soundstage and overall presentation compared to other larger size cans.

Its not that they are not good at imaging etc...its they sound comparatively "small" to me.

I put on the Grados and the AKG...and found them to be immediately "light" in the bass dept....wow.

I will give them some more time and re-examine how they sound to me and post back.

Many other reviews on these cans state these are a bit bass shy...boy not to me....more than enough bass....only the LCD 2's have more
authority here.
 

A.

post #414 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

So many beyer fanboys!

 

I'm thinking. Help me decide what to do:

1. Buy a MDR7550: More portable and comfortable set up. Also doesn't have full isolation, so I can use it on the road.

2. Buy another DT1350(I've had one): Overall better sound quality. Lacks comfort(the reason I sold them). Also has bit too much isolation for pedestrian use.


Well, I own both...and if I had to chose which one you could take away from me I would give you the MDR7550.  The sound of the DT1350  is more complete since the highs of  the 7550 are a little tamed for my tastes (the mids and bass are great on both).    I gotta get my hands on a pair of EX1000s.    The 7550 does have the worse isolation of any IEM I have ever owned, so if you need to be aware of your surroundings then it might be what you are looking for.  Be aware that some people have complained about wind noise when they are out and about with the Sonys.     BTW, the 7550 is also the most comfortable IEM I have ever owned.

post #415 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post


Well, I own both...and if I had to chose which one you could take away from me I would give you the MDR7550.  The sound of the DT1350  is more complete since the highs of  the 7550 are a little tamed for my tastes (the mids and bass are great on both).    I gotta get my hands on a pair of EX1000s.    The 7550 does have the worse isolation of any IEM I have ever owned, so if you need to be aware of your surroundings then it might be what you are looking for.  Be aware that some people have complained about wind noise when they are out and about with the Sonys.     BTW, the 7550 is also the most comfortable IEM I have ever owned.

That kind of pushes me towards 7550. Comfort was a major issue with me on the DT1350, though I haven't tried the new pads. I found one in Korea for a reasonable price, but I'm going to give them both a quick demo(though I demoed them lots of times) before I buy any of them.

 

BTW, do you get wind noise even when there isn't much wind?

post #416 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

That kind of pushes me towards 7550. Comfort was a major issue with me on the DT1350, though I haven't tried the new pads. I found one in Korea for a reasonable price, but I'm going to give them both a quick demo(though I demoed them lots of times) before I buy any of them.

 

BTW, do you get wind noise even when there isn't much wind?

 

I don't use IEMs for walking around.  

 

I use my PX100 for walking the dog and moving around since I  also like to be aware of my surroundings.   My IEMs are used at work and on plane rides and such. 

post #417 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

 

I don't use IEMs for walking around.  

 

I use my PX100 for walking the dog and moving around since I  also like to be aware of my surroundings.   My IEMs are used at work and on plane rides and such. 

Well, that's why I chose the 7550. It really has around the same isolation level as earbuds. The reason why I'm against something like PX100 is lack of portability(compared to iems) and sound quality. I need something that will fit in a small pocket. DT1350 was an exception because I really like the sound quality.

post #418 of 800

Just got my 1350s in the mail today...initial impressions are great!  love the bass extension detail.  Obviously not as spacious sounding as my hd700s, but from what I remember of my hd25s i prefer these by far!   I seem to be in the lucky minority that these fit wonderfully as well!  L3000.gif

post #419 of 800

I happens to have both MDR-7550 and DT1350.

Just mind that the 7550 has its open-air hole on the front side.

When taking metros or in windy places, the wind will create loud and annoying whistles from the hole.

I finally giving up taking 7550 for commute but use DT1350 instead.

 

I also found that I love the treble of DT1350 over MDR-7550 (later).

post #420 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescchen View Post

I happens to have both MDR-7550 and DT1350.

Just mind that the 7550 has its open-air hole on the front side.

When taking metros or in windy places, the wind will create loud and annoying whistles from the hole.

I finally giving up taking 7550 for commute but use DT1350 instead.

 

I also found that I love the treble of DT1350 over MDR-7550 (later).

Does the wind noise happen even when there's no wind? I've had wind noise issue with another iem, but it didn't bother me too much.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club