Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club - Page 13

post #181 of 800
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

My experience has been pretty much the complete opposite of this. 

 

Here is Tyll from Inner Fidelity's take on these headphones in case it wasn't posted earlier...in short, he likes 'em....a lot. 

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

 

EDIT: Wow, I finally got around to hooking them up to my Meier amp...these things actually scale a bit with better amplification. I truly could be very happy with these as my one and only headphone if my situation dictated that...with better amplification the separation improves a fair bit as well as the imaging. I'd even say the sound stage is a bit larger, too...clearly an improvement over my iPhone, even though I was quite happy with how they sounded directly from there, as well. 


Yes Tyll likes them and I saw the review months ago when it first came out. As for amplification I've had it amped through an ALO RX MKII and a Leckerton UHA-4. I've also been at a friends place and we've amped it with a Bottlehead Crack and his iBasso mobile amp and at all times there was a bit of improvement but not good enough to say the DT1350 sounds good with electronica and rap. If you like how the DT1350 sounds with rap and electronica more power to you but most people won't. There's not enough body and slam behind the bass for most people to like it.

post #182 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Yes Tyll likes them and I saw the review months ago when it first came out. As for amplification I've had it amped through an ALO RX MKII and a Leckerton UHA-4. I've also been at a friends place and we've amped it with a Bottlehead Crack and his iBasso mobile amp and at all times there was a bit of improvement but not good enough to say the DT1350 sounds good with electronica and rap. If you like how the DT1350 sounds with rap and electronica more power to you but most people won't. There's not enough body and slam behind the bass for most people to like it.

 

These headphones measure very flat and they extend very low into the bass department. They will reproduce what is on the recording. If someone wants a bass heavy sound that goes beyond what is on the recording, then there are headphones that will *add* to the low end. The bass is one of the strong suits of this headphone for anyone who wants an accurate representation of the recording, that's one reason why these are so good for the studio and DJs. This gets back to one of my big issues with bass....there is boomy, over-exaggerated bass and there is accurate, clean bass. People often prefer one over the other, and when those who like the boomy thumpy bass hear an accurate speaker/subwoofer/headphone, they complain that there isn't enough bass. But I completely disagree when you say this headphone is not an all-rounder....that's exactly what headphones with a flat response ARE. A headphone that emphases the low end isn't an all-rounder by any means any more than one that has a brighter top end. A flat headphone will allow whatever is on the recording to be reproduced as it was recorded without imparting its own emphasis in any one area. 

post #183 of 800
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

These headphones measure very flat and they extend very low into the bass department. They will reproduce what is on the recording. If someone wants a bass heavy sound that goes beyond what is on the recording, then there are headphones that will *add* to the low end. The bass is one of the strong suits of this headphone for anyone who wants an accurate representation of the recording, that's one reason why these are so good for the studio and DJs. This gets back to one of my big issues with bass....there is boomy, over-exaggerated bass and there is accurate, clean bass. People often prefer one over the other, and when those who like the boomy thumpy bass hear an accurate speaker/subwoofer/headphone, they complain that there isn't enough bass. But I completely disagree when you say this headphone is not an all-rounder....that's exactly what headphones with a flat response ARE. A headphone that emphases the low end isn't an all-rounder by any means any more than one that has a brighter top end. A flat headphone will allow whatever is on the recording to be reproduced as it was recorded without imparting its own emphasis in any one area. 


Listen, you can be a fan boy or you can be straight up truthful about things. The DT1350 is a great sounding can but it isn't a great can to use with rap or electronica. You put this can on a hip hopper he'll yank it off and say it sounds anemic and the same can be said for the raver crowd. Just because me and you like flat detailed bass doesn't mean others will and doesn't mean they should. The person above us asked for a recommendation for a good can that can do a wide amount of genres when on commute. What that means is he needs something that will do an acceptable job with all his music when on the go not a can that will show all the musics defects. I gave my findings as I heard them you don't like them it's no concern of mine. I just gave my truthful impression to a person looking for a good can that would better fit his lifestyle end of story. And another thing, as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as a true neutral every can in some shape or form will introduce some sort of coloration.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 6/16/12 at 1:06pm
post #184 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Listen, you can be a fan boy or you can be straight up truthful about things. The DT1350 is a great sounding can but it isn't a great can to use with rap or electronica. You put this can on a hip hopper he'll yank it off and say it sounds anemic and the same can be said for the raver crowd. Just because me and you like flat detailed bass doesn't mean others will and doesn't mean they should. The person above us asked for a recommendation for a good can that can do a wide amount of genres when on commute. What that means is he needs something that will do an acceptable job with all his music when on the go not a can that will show all the musics defects. I gave my findings as I heard them you don't like them it's no concern of mine. I just gave my truthful impression to a person looking for a good can that would better fit his lifestyle end of story. And another thing, as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as a true neutral every can in some shape or form will introduce some sort of coloration.

 

Didn't take long to get to the "fanboy" comment I see....

 

So there's no bass, they show all the "musics [sic] defects", and they are only good for jazz and classical. Your opinion is duly noted. rolleyes.gif

post #185 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

I would go for a better all arounder and for go the DT 1350. The DT1350 is known for being relentless on source and modern metal such as speed metal from Dragon Force isn't known for being the best recorded music out there. Another thing you should know the bass on the DT1350 isn't full bodied and doesn't have tons of slam behind it. It extends deep and is known for being detailed and lean which means it's not the best choice for electronica or rap. It'll sound pretty good with most jazz and classical but in my personal experience it won't shine all that well with rap or electronica. The HD25 is known for being a good sounding all arounder and master of none.

 

I have to pretty much agree here.  They are quite brilliant with acoustic and vocals, not bad with classical, great with classic and older prog rock.  I imagine they aren't the best with metal.  From what I remember of the HD 25, I bet it is great with metal.

post #186 of 800
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Didn't take long to get to the "fanboy" comment I see....

 

So there's no bass, they show all the "musics [sic] defects", and they are only good for jazz and classical. Your opinion is duly noted. rolleyes.gif


Listen I'm not trying to be an arse with you. I'm just simply saying not all people are going to like the DT1350 as far as bass is concerned. Considering someone who listens to electronica and rap amongst other genres asked if these would fit the bill for all his genre needs don't you think it's wiser and safer to recommend a good tried and tested all arounder instead of recommending a 300 dollar can that may not check off all his must have boxes. I don't doubt that if you threw very well recorded metal and rap at it it would probably sound good BUT most metal and rap is comprised of very badly recorded overly equed music and as such the DT1350 will make it painfully obvious to the listener. Sorry for the fanboy comment I'm just a little touchy today I usually don't jump the gun like that.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 6/16/12 at 4:25pm
post #187 of 800

They react really well to bassboost with out losing there sound signature. If you don't like them don't buy them and stop mudding up threads about headphones with comments about why you don't like them. I use them for electronica all the time with a slight bass boost at around 50-100 hertz and a little in the 800 range for the upper bass.

post #188 of 800
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post

They react really well to bassboost with out losing there sound signature. If you don't like them don't buy them and stop mudding up threads about headphones with comments about why you don't like them. I use them for electronica all the time with a slight bass boost at around 50-100 hertz and a little in the 800 range for the upper bass.


Lol dude I'm the one who originally started this thread I like them very very much. By the way you just demonstrated what I've been implying. You use your DT1350 with a bass boost when listening to electronica I agree with a slight bass boost they would sound better with electronica.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 6/16/12 at 4:59pm
post #189 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Listen I'm not trying to be an arse with you. I'm just simply saying not all people are going to like the DT1350 as far as bass is concerned. Considering someone who listens to electronica and rap amongst other genres asked if these would fit the bill for all his genre needs don't you think it's wiser and safer to recommend a good tried and tested all arounder instead of recommending a 300 dollar can that may not check off all his must have boxes. I don't doubt that if you threw very well recorded metal and rap at it it would probably sound good BUT most metal and rap is comprised of very badly recorded overly equed music and as such the DT1350 will make it painfully obvious to the listener. Sorry for the fanboy comment I'm just a little touchy today I usually don't jump the gun like that.

 

Not a problem, we just see it differently is all. This isn't really the right thread for recommendations, but when I see someone who says they prefer many different genres to  just one, I feel a "flatter" headphone is more preferable to one that is u-shaped or emphases one aspect of the frequency response over another. I'm not averse to headphones that aren't flat, of course, since I'm a Grado fan. I actually feel the DT1350s are a fantastic option for people with varied preferences, but we can agree to disagree on that. I don't remember ever making the argument that they weren't the top choice for people who are mostly into hip hop or electronica. I happen to listen to Deadmau5, Skrillex, Kaskade, and other club type music and really enjoy it on these headphones. But if someone puts massive amounts of bass at the forefront of their goals, then yeah, a flat headphone like the 1350s probably won't be as appealing as Beats or some other phone that has more emphasis on the low end. 

post #190 of 800
Thread Starter 

Well it's not really the Beats thing I'm thinking of when I compare the DT1350 bass. It's just the HD25 has a more visceral hit in the lows compared to the DT1350 because of it's mid bass hump and a lot of people like that. I used to like it a lot until I started experimenting with different sound signatures and figured out for myself what good bass was all about. Here's something for you to look into my friend. If you ever get a chance to demo an IEM called the K2 sp by a Japanese company called j-phonic give it a good listen. That little IEM in my opinion brings together the best of both worlds. Great detail and just enough bodied bass that still remains quick and isn't bloated. Now if it only had better depth and sound stage it would truly be special.

post #191 of 800

"Hip hoppers" might not go for the flat, defined, details and tight bass. That's very true. But when bass measures flat and has good 50Hz square wave responses....that means the listener is hearing it the way the artist intended for it to sound. wink.gif

 

But as mentioned, that may be not what the individual listener may be after. Remember high fidelity = fidelity to the source material. Not for everyone (i.e. most non-audiophiles).

post #192 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

"Hip hoppers" might not go for the flat, defined, details and tight bass. That's very true. But when bass measures flat and has good 50Hz square wave responses....that means the listener is hearing it the way the artist intended for it to sound. wink.gif

 

But as mentioned, that may be not what the individual listener may be after. Remember high fidelity = fidelity to the source material. Not for everyone (i.e. most non-audiophiles).

Exactly...your first point is what I was trying to say, but apparently not doing a very good job of it. 

post #193 of 800
Thread Starter 

We'll have to wait until the OP who asked the question gets back to us with more details on what he's looking for.

post #194 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

We'll have to wait until the OP who asked the question gets back to us with more details on what he's looking for.

 

Just for the sake of clarity, though, I'm not debating whether these are great "hip hop" phones. I just know that the same issue comes up with subwoofers, which is something I was very involved with previously. Those that prefer the sort of bass you hear thumping in a low rider as it drives by typically won't care for the bass that you get from an "accurate" headphone. That's not a criticism, it's just typically how it is. Just like I prefer the bass to be more natural and accurately represented, I don't often care for the over-emphasized thumping bass. My point was to just state my view on the differences, I'm not saying the DT1350s are the ideal headphone for hip hoppers. Just so we're clear on that point lol. 

post #195 of 800

Well,

   Now that I have caught up with the conversation I have ascertained some crucial information, However; I feel the epitome of my original question (which I am very greatfull to you all for your responses) harkens back to the nature of the beast. The key aspects of my needs lie within three majorly important factors

   * Portability

     I tend to leen towards the Beyer dynamic for this source ( 2 articulating arms, carying case, they lay flat against your neck when not in use)

  * Versatility

    I am constantly  searching for new types, iterations, experimentations, and genres of music (although the majority of my music would be classicaly considered rock or prog rock or alternative as well as Hip Hop and instrumental) I need a set of cans that can be a crowd pleaser to different types of music; however, it dosen't need to sacrafice accuracy and colarize it to appease me. My favorite sound signature ever has been the Senn 650 through my Ibasso Dac and my mac book playing led zep IV through cog in a .flac file.) It must be versatile but true to the nature of the recording and the artist. 

  * Musicality

 

   I love music, everything about it, so much so that i want to get lost in it with a vivid and moving experience. The reason I loved my senn 650's sooooo much was because they weretrue to the nature of the musicians tastes while sounding like a live concert in my head with there incredible soundstage and still retained a musicality and not a complete analytical anemity. Even though they are widely considered some of the most analytical over the ear phones on Head-Fi i was in love with there emotional and honest and most importantly there technicaly excelent and outstanding reproduction of what listening to music should sound like, like being right in front of the artists playing.

just to demonstrate my open ended nature on this subject:
 I am considering just buying a pair of 770 80 ohm's and using them through my amp. I really value an exquisite and musical sound in my music (that sounds ironic but i am sure many of you will grasp the significance) 
However ultimately I would like to find the best possible marriage between being able to be active and be able to be at home and have amazing sounding music from both circumstances.  the most important thing to me is having a pair of cans i can ride the train with, ride my bike with, and still retain amazing quality and imaging of sound with on the go.

So now i ask you all , with this newly refined datum into the enigma of another users heart and soul, searching desperatly through a constantly shifting dreamscape whih is the hi-fi head-fi nation; What do you think i should do to fufill those lusts and longing hunger pangs of mine for a great sounding versatile and portable rig....????


     thank you all extensively for your information and the excitement and enthusiasm of your responses, I urge you all to practice discretion and tact with your responses and to keep voicing your opinions fortified with experience and technical acuity, and not to stomp on the enthusiastic and some times differing opinions of others. Each experience and opinion is insight and the accuracy and knowledge you display when responding ultimately is what makes others respect your opinion, not the harshness and unyeilding repittition of subjective opinions. 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club