Personally, I like the look of the M50's coiled cable anyways. Doesn't really look like a telephone cord and instead looks more high-quality.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony mdr xb 1000tagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB300 30mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- M50 or something else Last post on 7/17/11 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Starter's headphone map Last post on 7/10/11 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good portable headphones??? Last post on 9/8/11 at 11:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the bassiest analytical headphones in the market? Last post on 8/9/11 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beats Pro vs Studio help Last post on 9/8/11 at 9:42am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are my first ever Grado's and I LOVE them, too bad I have to send them out to the next guy. I was always fascinated by Grado's ever since I saw Auggie's RS2's on Covert Affairs. I just...
The ud110 was recommended in a few different serious threads in the audio community, and I was intrigued to say the least, myself looking for more affordable options with out sacrificing too...
I feel obligated to share out-of-the-gate that I am no CIEM expert! As a matter of fact, I don't even particularly enjoy IEMs - I love over-ear or on-ear headphones. That said: Experiencing JH...
Like many others on this site, these phones are my stepping stone into the realm of "hi-fi"-headphones. These are indeed a good pair of phones for beginners and old-timers alike, because of their...
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public? - Page 2post #16 of 327/23/11 at 5:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 327/23/11 at 5:35ampost #18 of 327/23/11 at 5:44am
Just do it! Personally, I have worn Grados in public, but never anything with a coiled cord; however, I'm too old and ornery to care what others may think.post #19 of 327/23/11 at 6:29ampost #20 of 327/24/11 at 7:46pm
I quite happily wear both my SRH440s (coiled cable) and AD900s (huge) in public.
In pont of fact, paired with the right pair of sunglasses, I am of the opinion that big, black headphones can make you look like a badass. Or in the case of the coiled cable 'phones, a DJ - and ladies love a DJ...post #21 of 327/25/11 at 12:21ampost #22 of 327/25/11 at 12:25amQuote:Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I run the cable down the collar of my shirt, under the shirt, into my pocket to my portable setup. I don't care what the cable looks like.
Then again, I don't care if people see I'm wearing big cables and headphones. I like it. The only thing I won't wear in public is a badly designed, ugly, headphone. Like Sony XB series. Otherwise, get out there and represent.
This. Took the words right out of my mouth.post #23 of 327/25/11 at 12:34am
do it all the time. i take my shure srh840 everywhere.post #24 of 327/25/11 at 4:39am
As long as the headphones aren't hillariously gaudy, they look rather cool out in public.
Before my Sansa died, I used to wear my XB700s out quite a bit. I actually thought they looked interesting, as well they made a statement... I am serious about music. At that time, the XB700s just came out, so they were still a bit pricey. I have worn my m50s out too, but they look like Studio/DJ monitors, even from afar, so I never thought anyone would think they were too strange. To be truthful, they have a brutalist elegance, so if anything, you appear to be a professional... and what has been posted recently: There is a certain attraction to DJs. <-- AudioTechnica smiley
Headphones like the M50s are a fashion conscious answer to the Dre Beats... since you will have that urban wasteland warehouse DJ look.post #25 of 324/4/12 at 5:30pm
Indeed, I rock my Sony XB700's in public all the time [and I think they are pretty smexy]! And they are a great conversation starter... people ask me all the time"where'd you get them" and I do get compliments every now and then! Plus when I get my XB1000 I'll b sure to keep them in eye's view 24/7
So A coiled cable would be just as cool imo!post #26 of 324/4/12 at 5:37pmpost #27 of 324/4/12 at 7:15pmpost #28 of 324/4/12 at 7:40pm
I've worn my AKG K240 MKII's (freaking enourmous) with the 3m long cable outside, and although i get some strange looks, the fact is, my sound quality is far superior to my peers Beats or Skullcandys XDpost #29 of 324/4/12 at 8:49pm
Before i got my IEMs i used to wear my SR-80s with the couple coiled up and held together with a wire tie. I am sure people thought it looked weird. But after hearing those headphones for the first time i couldn't go back to regular earbuds. From time to time i wear my HD-280s around campus with the coiled cord hanging out from underneath my shirt
So if you like how the headphones sound wear them wherever you can.post #30 of 324/5/12 at 1:38amQuote:Originally Posted by sherrybearlove
JUST order the ATH M50s for $90 off of ebay (the seller had 100% positive feedback too and seemed to develop a rep selling M50's). First pair of headphones over $50 and I mainly bought them for the sound, design, and "portability". However, I've never seen anyone with a coiled cable in public before and I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad idea. xD Just wondering, has anyone worn a full size headphone w/ coiled cable in public before and how was your experience? :P
I'm old and don't care about the headphone aesthetics and taste of others. Hell--many of them "make" me look at their Beats. As long as it works well for me and sounds great, the rest does not matter.
- Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › Audeze LCD-X 28 seconds ago
- › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for DAC reccomendations (~500 USD) 6 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 7 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 10 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO headphones (UK) *reduced* 10 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 12 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 13 minutes ago
- › Grado Prestige Series SR60e Headphones by Nada190
- › Stoner Acoustics UD110 V2 by WhiskeyJacks
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)