Personally, I like the look of the M50's coiled cable anyways. Doesn't really look like a telephone cord and instead looks more high-quality.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony mdr xb 1000tagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB300 30mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- M50 or something else Last post on 7/17/11 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Starter's headphone map Last post on 7/10/11 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good portable headphones??? Last post on 9/8/11 at 11:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the bassiest analytical headphones in the market? Last post on 8/9/11 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beats Pro vs Studio help Last post on 9/8/11 at 9:42am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public? - Page 2post #16 of 327/23/11 at 5:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 327/23/11 at 5:35ampost #18 of 327/23/11 at 5:44am
Just do it! Personally, I have worn Grados in public, but never anything with a coiled cord; however, I'm too old and ornery to care what others may think.post #19 of 327/23/11 at 6:29ampost #20 of 327/24/11 at 7:46pm
I quite happily wear both my SRH440s (coiled cable) and AD900s (huge) in public.
In pont of fact, paired with the right pair of sunglasses, I am of the opinion that big, black headphones can make you look like a badass. Or in the case of the coiled cable 'phones, a DJ - and ladies love a DJ...post #21 of 327/25/11 at 12:21ampost #22 of 327/25/11 at 12:25amQuote:Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I run the cable down the collar of my shirt, under the shirt, into my pocket to my portable setup. I don't care what the cable looks like.
Then again, I don't care if people see I'm wearing big cables and headphones. I like it. The only thing I won't wear in public is a badly designed, ugly, headphone. Like Sony XB series. Otherwise, get out there and represent.
This. Took the words right out of my mouth.post #23 of 327/25/11 at 12:34am
do it all the time. i take my shure srh840 everywhere.post #24 of 327/25/11 at 4:39am
As long as the headphones aren't hillariously gaudy, they look rather cool out in public.
Before my Sansa died, I used to wear my XB700s out quite a bit. I actually thought they looked interesting, as well they made a statement... I am serious about music. At that time, the XB700s just came out, so they were still a bit pricey. I have worn my m50s out too, but they look like Studio/DJ monitors, even from afar, so I never thought anyone would think they were too strange. To be truthful, they have a brutalist elegance, so if anything, you appear to be a professional... and what has been posted recently: There is a certain attraction to DJs. <-- AudioTechnica smiley
Headphones like the M50s are a fashion conscious answer to the Dre Beats... since you will have that urban wasteland warehouse DJ look.post #25 of 324/4/12 at 5:30pm
Indeed, I rock my Sony XB700's in public all the time [and I think they are pretty smexy]! And they are a great conversation starter... people ask me all the time"where'd you get them" and I do get compliments every now and then! Plus when I get my XB1000 I'll b sure to keep them in eye's view 24/7
So A coiled cable would be just as cool imo!post #26 of 324/4/12 at 5:37pmpost #27 of 324/4/12 at 7:15pmpost #28 of 324/4/12 at 7:40pm
I've worn my AKG K240 MKII's (freaking enourmous) with the 3m long cable outside, and although i get some strange looks, the fact is, my sound quality is far superior to my peers Beats or Skullcandys XDpost #29 of 324/4/12 at 8:49pm
Before i got my IEMs i used to wear my SR-80s with the couple coiled up and held together with a wire tie. I am sure people thought it looked weird. But after hearing those headphones for the first time i couldn't go back to regular earbuds. From time to time i wear my HD-280s around campus with the coiled cord hanging out from underneath my shirt
So if you like how the headphones sound wear them wherever you can.post #30 of 324/5/12 at 1:38amQuote:Originally Posted by sherrybearlove
JUST order the ATH M50s for $90 off of ebay (the seller had 100% positive feedback too and seemed to develop a rep selling M50's). First pair of headphones over $50 and I mainly bought them for the sound, design, and "portability". However, I've never seen anyone with a coiled cable in public before and I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad idea. xD Just wondering, has anyone worn a full size headphone w/ coiled cable in public before and how was your experience? :P
I'm old and don't care about the headphone aesthetics and taste of others. Hell--many of them "make" me look at their Beats. As long as it works well for me and sounds great, the rest does not matter.
- Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › New Sennheiser Momentum In ear 11 seconds ago
- › Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Fiio X1 VS Colorfly C3? 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Help***Leaving Sales FeedBack 2 minutes ago
- › Best all-rounder ($250) 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › **Schiit Mjolnir: minty** 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)