Personally, I like the look of the M50's coiled cable anyways. Doesn't really look like a telephone cord and instead looks more high-quality.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony mdr xb 1000tagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB300 30mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- M50 or something else Last post on 7/17/11 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Starter's headphone map Last post on 7/10/11 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good portable headphones??? Last post on 9/8/11 at 11:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the bassiest analytical headphones in the market? Last post on 8/9/11 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beats Pro vs Studio help Last post on 9/8/11 at 9:42am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public? - Page 2post #16 of 327/23/11 at 5:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 327/23/11 at 5:35ampost #18 of 327/23/11 at 5:44am
Just do it! Personally, I have worn Grados in public, but never anything with a coiled cord; however, I'm too old and ornery to care what others may think.post #19 of 327/23/11 at 6:29ampost #20 of 327/24/11 at 7:46pm
I quite happily wear both my SRH440s (coiled cable) and AD900s (huge) in public.
In pont of fact, paired with the right pair of sunglasses, I am of the opinion that big, black headphones can make you look like a badass. Or in the case of the coiled cable 'phones, a DJ - and ladies love a DJ...post #21 of 327/25/11 at 12:21ampost #22 of 327/25/11 at 12:25amQuote:Originally Posted by MalVeauX
I run the cable down the collar of my shirt, under the shirt, into my pocket to my portable setup. I don't care what the cable looks like.
Then again, I don't care if people see I'm wearing big cables and headphones. I like it. The only thing I won't wear in public is a badly designed, ugly, headphone. Like Sony XB series. Otherwise, get out there and represent.
This. Took the words right out of my mouth.post #23 of 327/25/11 at 12:34am
do it all the time. i take my shure srh840 everywhere.post #24 of 327/25/11 at 4:39am
As long as the headphones aren't hillariously gaudy, they look rather cool out in public.
Before my Sansa died, I used to wear my XB700s out quite a bit. I actually thought they looked interesting, as well they made a statement... I am serious about music. At that time, the XB700s just came out, so they were still a bit pricey. I have worn my m50s out too, but they look like Studio/DJ monitors, even from afar, so I never thought anyone would think they were too strange. To be truthful, they have a brutalist elegance, so if anything, you appear to be a professional... and what has been posted recently: There is a certain attraction to DJs. <-- AudioTechnica smiley
Headphones like the M50s are a fashion conscious answer to the Dre Beats... since you will have that urban wasteland warehouse DJ look.post #25 of 324/4/12 at 5:30pm
Indeed, I rock my Sony XB700's in public all the time [and I think they are pretty smexy]! And they are a great conversation starter... people ask me all the time"where'd you get them" and I do get compliments every now and then! Plus when I get my XB1000 I'll b sure to keep them in eye's view 24/7
So A coiled cable would be just as cool imo!post #26 of 324/4/12 at 5:37pmpost #27 of 324/4/12 at 7:15pmpost #28 of 324/4/12 at 7:40pm
I've worn my AKG K240 MKII's (freaking enourmous) with the 3m long cable outside, and although i get some strange looks, the fact is, my sound quality is far superior to my peers Beats or Skullcandys XDpost #29 of 324/4/12 at 8:49pm
Before i got my IEMs i used to wear my SR-80s with the couple coiled up and held together with a wire tie. I am sure people thought it looked weird. But after hearing those headphones for the first time i couldn't go back to regular earbuds. From time to time i wear my HD-280s around campus with the coiled cord hanging out from underneath my shirt
So if you like how the headphones sound wear them wherever you can.post #30 of 324/5/12 at 1:38amQuote:Originally Posted by sherrybearlove
JUST order the ATH M50s for $90 off of ebay (the seller had 100% positive feedback too and seemed to develop a rep selling M50's). First pair of headphones over $50 and I mainly bought them for the sound, design, and "portability". However, I've never seen anyone with a coiled cable in public before and I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad idea. xD Just wondering, has anyone worn a full size headphone w/ coiled cable in public before and how was your experience? :P
I'm old and don't care about the headphone aesthetics and taste of others. Hell--many of them "make" me look at their Beats. As long as it works well for me and sounds great, the rest does not matter.
- Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Grado e Series 19 seconds ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 1 minute ago
- › X5 firmware 2.34Beta--Now Playing gets a good memory, APE cuesheets 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › RHA MA-750i Review 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 EARS V6 Discussion & Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › looking for a good headset in the 150-350$ range 5 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 7 minutes ago
- › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › High End CIEM/IEM Thread! 9 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)