Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 564

post #8446 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

Yes, I believe the GE, EL and Sylvania 6HM5 to be quite similar. Personally, I have not heard the Sylvania and EL, but others report that these and the GE are quite similar. So my general advice is go for the cheapest ones. :)

I end up buying the EI's just gotta wait for the seller to ships them. Since they came out cheaper, glad I did as as soon after i bought them, he raised the price by 4 dollars. so I paid $12 Right in time.

post #8447 of 8460

So there I was, trying to install the Voshkod and Phillips tubes with my Philips screwdriver when I was interrupted by a tube roller using a vacuum tube....

 

 

vacuum-tube.jpg

 

And to round out the wacky images - a trio of lady tubes:

 

https://img0.etsystatic.com/047/0/6397396/il_340x270.687060100_8zwz.jpg

post #8448 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

So there I was, trying to install the Voshkod and Phillips tubes with my Philips screwdriver when I was interrupted by a tube roller using a vacuum tube....

 

 

vacuum-tube.jpg

 

And to round out the wacky images - a trio of lady tubes:

 

https://img0.etsystatic.com/047/0/6397396/il_340x270.687060100_8zwz.jpg

 

 

:etysmile::D

post #8449 of 8460

Received a pair of Sylvania brown base 6SN7WGT tubes. Besides, the HE-500 problem still exists, when using them as power tubes, they sound really nice with the HD800s (+ C3GS). The cosmetic disadvantage is that with the large chrome cap of the Sylvanias, I hardly see any tube glow, lol. More after some more listening...:L3000: 


Edited by Acapella11 - Today at 11:21 am
post #8450 of 8460

Hi,

 

Still trying to do something about the hum from my PC sound card. I have a little USB DAC, but when I plug it in there is no sound coming out from the audio jack. Should I disable the Realtek Audio that the PC comes with?

 

Something else I can do to activate the USB DAC?

post #8451 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Hi,

 

Still trying to do something about the hum from my PC sound card. I have a little USB DAC, but when I plug it in there is no sound coming out from the audio jack. Should I disable the Realtek Audio that the PC comes with?

 

Something else I can do to activate the USB DAC?

I had some initial issues with my topping d20 DAC and connecting it with my laptop. If I remember correctly I believe I went into audio devices and found the DAC and set it as the main device/default and that allowed it to work. Hope this helps.

post #8452 of 8460

USB DAC set as main device but nothing happens. To the left of the box is a bar graph that shows sound output - it only works for Speakers and not for DAC. I am not able to click on the Apply button - maybe that's the problem.

post #8453 of 8460

I have no idea then =/ maybe go on devices and printers and see if your device is there and maybe try changing some settings update drivers etc. Have u tried it out of other USB ports? just in case that port is dodgy.

post #8454 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

USB DAC set as main device but nothing happens. To the left of the box is a bar graph that shows sound output - it only works for Speakers and not for DAC. I am not able to click on the Apply button - maybe that's the problem.

Your using vista right what player are you using ,ill try and explain i have a bose desktop setup and my dac setup for my amps both are activated .When i point to speaker icon i see the bose setup but when i open Musicbee it might show the bose setup or it might show the dac setup depending if i listened to utube or something else .So in order to listen to my amps via dac i need to activate the dac in PREFERENCE >PLAYER  in my case its burson conductors dac and my usb interface works with wasapi once thats changed i APPLY changes and all is well . If you had photo capture of the screens it would be simpler.

post #8455 of 8460

Problem solved.

 

Found a site that said that some Windows OS cannot switch to a DAC from the Win audio output while a music browser is running. I shut off the Musicbee, and then turned it on again. It worked! The output goes through my DAC now.

 

I think Gibosi told me about this little DAC a couple of years ago.

 

ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-DAC-SOUND-Audio-CARD-PCM2704-BOARD-ELNA-Capacitor-S

 

Anyhow, this is what I have on hand. My objective was to find out if I could decrease the hum from my PC by using an external DAC.

 

So how did my experiment go? The answer is that the hum is somewhat lower with this device but it is still noticeably there. My laptop, chromebook and CD player make much less hum, down to a tolerable level.

 

In conclusion only a slight improvement and not meeting my objectives. Now I just have to figure out if the sound from the DAC is better than the built in Win sound card....And I better not trip on that wire connecting the DAC across the floor in my room!

post #8456 of 8460

Hi Mikelap,

 

I am using Musicbee, but all those abbreviations and screens leave me confused. I can access a manual for Musicbee and maybe try to figure it out, but I am totally unfamiliar with all the different stuff with the strange names.

 

ASIO, ASIO4ALL, WASAPI, AIMP3 and Foobar - don't know what these mean. Hey, if I can learn what the difference is between a C3m and a C3o I could pick this up too! (If you can tell what the difference is you get a honorable mention LOL.)

post #8457 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Hi Mikelap,

 

I am using Musicbee, but all those abbreviations and screens leave me confused. I can access a manual for Musicbee and maybe try to figure it out, but I am totally unfamiliar with all the different stuff with the strange names.

 

ASIO, ASIO4ALL, WASAPI, AIMP3 and Foobar - don't know what these mean. Hey, if I can learn what the difference is between a C3m and a C3o I could pick this up too! (If you can tell what the difference is you get a honorable mention LOL.)

 

OK, I am not addressed, but I may still help I guess. ASIO is a direct software interface from your player to your dac. It circumvents besides others the windows equalizer. THe proper ASIO only works if your hardware manufacturer delivers a specific driver for ASIO. If that is not the case, you can download ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com/), which works well for me. It is not as ideal as perfect hardware ASIO, but still good. WASAPI is the Windows (since Vista) own audiophile software interface. It comes just after manufacturer's ASIO in priority.

 

You can find the settings for Musicbee in Edit -> Preferences -> Player.

 

AIMP3 and Foobar are alternative players to Musicbee.

 

Enjoy!


Edited by Acapella11 - Today at 1:59 pm
post #8458 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Hi Mikelap,

 

I am using Musicbee, but all those abbreviations and screens leave me confused. I can access a manual for Musicbee and maybe try to figure it out, but I am totally unfamiliar with all the different stuff with the strange names.

 

ASIO, ASIO4ALL, WASAPI, AIMP3 and Foobar - don't know what these mean. Hey, if I can learn what the difference is between a C3m and a C3o I could pick this up too! (If you can tell what the difference is you get a honorable mention LOL.)

All you need to know his here            http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

post #8459 of 8460

post #8460 of 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

Congrats!

Very nice, it should perform Toe to Toe with MIKELAP's Woo collection.

 

The point to point build on those looks great.

The inside is really nice alot nicer than the Woo  very clean .  But there's one thing TD what you cant see cant hurt you .Damm i just saw it lol .But there's an upside to everything .Ahhhhh!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

 

                                                                                                                   

 Both inner guts make me drool I'am a sucker for P2P wiring i really like them they are pretty to look at and easy to mod depending on chassis/case size.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide