or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 439

post #6571 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

My enthusiasm is high but unfortunately my wallet does not share the same искренний энтузиазм. :(

The empty wallet syndrome terrible condition a high percentage of people affected by this ,i share your pain .

post #6572 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

The empty wallet syndrome terrible condition a high percentage of people affected by this ,i share your pain .

Thanks Bro!

 :beerchug:

post #6573 of 10502

Hi,

 

Yep, you all got it right on the first try! Those contraptions look pretty scary...

 

A mercury-arc valve or mercury-vapor rectifier or (UK) mercury-arc rectifier[1][2] is a type of electrical rectifier used for converting high-voltage or high-current alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). It is a type of cold cathode gas discharge tube but is unusual in that the cathode, instead of being solid, is made from a pool of liquid mercury and is therefore self-restoring. As a result, mercury-arc valves were much more rugged, long-lasting and could carry much higher currents than most other types of gas discharge tube.

Invented in 1902 by Peter Cooper Hewitt, mercury-arc rectifiers were used to provide power for industrial motors, electric railways, streetcars, and electric locomotives, as well as for radio transmitters and for high-voltage direct current power transmission. They were the primary method of high power rectification before the advent of semiconductor rectifiers such as diodes, thyristors and gate turn-off thyristors (GTOs) in the 1970s.

post #6574 of 10502

OK i'am lost except for the empty wallet syndrome.:confused:

post #6575 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

My enthusiasm is high but unfortunately my wallet does not share the same искренний энтузиазм. :(

 

Now you come to mention it TD, I dare not even look back over the past year and add up all the 'bits and pieces' lol!!

 

Perhaps we should all enrol at Professor mordy's school for impoverished vacuum tube rollers?...

 

Ah well... still cheaper than golf... or is it?!

post #6576 of 10502
Well the middle of the road course down the road from where I work is $1200 a year for membership. I think that gives you 40 rounds and the wind never stops blowing there off the ocean.
beerchug.gif
post #6577 of 10502

Hi hypnos 1,

 

Don't take me wrong, I could spend more, but I enjoy the extra challenge in finding a good buy. It gives me additional satisfaction that I am using less than $15 worth of tubes to get superior sound. Never mind that it took a few hundred tubes and $$$ to get there - that's part of the fun of tube rolling!

 

My wife asked me why I need so many tubes. So of course I tell her that we are looking for audio perfection, and besides, these tubes become more valuable as time goes on (bluff!)

 

There are some tubes that are desirable in people's eyes, either because they really are superior or because they are hyped up by vendors.

The rest are not so easy to sell, especially since I don't have a tester and can only ascertain that they work.

 

The 6080s work, and the pair I selected from having used them as drivers works very well. I stuck in two pieces of wood (Chinese chop sticks) between the transformer housing and the piece of wood the voltage regulators are mounted on for better ventilation. The amp has been going 11-12 hours with the fan doing it's thing, and it is just slightly warm to the touch - looks like the spacing helped. With proper ventilation and a room temperature around 70-73F heat doesn't seem to be a concern.

 

I have in mind to make a solderless adapterless adapter for the 6832 if you get the gist. Thinking of extending the flexible leads 2" with 0.8mm copper wire using shrink wrap tubing and inserting the leads directly into the two driver tube sockets. To facilitate the correct mounting in the sockets I will use two Mullard plastic pin protectors. It might look better as well.

 

Continuing to enjoy the RCA 6080 tubes. The instrument separation is so well defined that I can concentrate on one instrument in a band and follow the playing.

post #6578 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdux View Post
 


Hi, i found the seller to be very friendly but we also had one tube with a slightly cracked base holding the pins but which still worked.I hope you get to enjoy your C3G's very soon.I have experienced them to be very resolving with good presentation of freq. spectrum.


Update on adapters

 

I just received replacement adapters. EB seller "happydiy998" sent me replacement pair of adapters via DHL EXPRESS. Took 6 days because of the weekend. Vanessa was the one helped me out with the whole process and upgrade china post to DHL express. Now i just have to listen to them as soon as I get home... can't wait.  Thank you everyone here for your inputs.

Thank you again to Vanessa @ happydiy998.:beerchug:

post #6579 of 10502

Hi guys,

 

I am very happy with my current set-up of c3g's and 6sn7's however my curiosity is starting to get the better of me (again) and was wondering if anyone has used 6f8g or 6c8g as power tubes instead of the 6sn7's? They can be directly swapped out with the 6sn7's along with the appropriate adapter and no external heaters are needed (6f8g's 0.6 and 6c8g's 0.3 and 6sn7's 0.6). Would the 6f8g's be more compatible seen as they have a 0.6 draw-up instead of the 0.3 of the 6c8g's? If anyone has experience with both the 6f8g's and 6c8g's what are the differences between the two and what one would work best in the LD MKIII?

 

Thanks

post #6580 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITIZENLIN View Post
 


Update on adapters

 

I just received replacement adapters. EB seller "happydiy998" sent me replacement pair of adapters via DHL EXPRESS. Took 6 days because of the weekend. Vanessa was the one helped me out with the whole process and upgrade china post to DHL express. Now i just have to listen to them as soon as I get home... can't wait.  Thank you everyone here for your inputs.

Thank you again to Vanessa @ happydiy998.:beerchug:

i bought adapters from them before even if sometimes they dont work they always make it right .

post #6581 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbwill2 View Post
 

Hi guys,

 

I am very happy with my current set-up of c3g's and 6sn7's however my curiosity is starting to get the better of me (again) and was wondering if anyone has used 6f8g or 6c8g as power tubes instead of the 6sn7's? They can be directly swapped out with the 6sn7's along with the appropriate adapter and no external heaters are needed (6f8g's 0.6 and 6c8g's 0.3 and 6sn7's 0.6). Would the 6f8g's be more compatible seen as they have a 0.6 draw-up instead of the 0.3 of the 6c8g's? If anyone has experience with both the 6f8g's and 6c8g's what are the differences between the two and what one would work best in the LD MKIII?

 

The 6F8G preceded the 6SN7, and electrically, the two are virtually the same. And the 6C8G preceded the 6SL7, and electrically, these two are virtually the same, as well. Like the 6SL7, the 6C8G with .3A heaters doesn't move enough current to perform well as a power tube. The 6F8G, being virtually the same as the 6SN7, won't perform any better or any worse. The only real advantage is it gives you a few more tubes to roll  :)

 

I would suggest that you follow in the footsteps of Hypnos1 and Mordy and try a pair of the 6AS7 or 6080. A cheap pair of RCA 6AS7 would be a major improvement over the 6SN7.

post #6582 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

The 6F8G preceded the 6SN7, and electrically, the two are virtually the same. And the 6C8G preceded the 6SL7, and electrically, these two are virtually the same, as well. Like the 6SL7, the 6C8G with .3A heaters doesn't move enough current to perform well as a power tube. The 6F8G, being virtually the same as the 6SN7, won't perform any better or any worse. The only real advantage is it gives you a few more tubes to roll  :)

 

I would suggest that you follow in the footsteps of Hypnos1 and Mordy and try a pair of the 6AS7 or 6080. A cheap pair of RCA 6AS7 would be a major improvement over the 6SN7.

Thanks for your reply. I would like to try the 6AS7's though I'm not confident enough about fitting external heaters. I think I may try the 6F8G's just out of curiosity and see how I like them :)

 

btw are there any further alternatives without external heaters?


Edited by sgbwill2 - 6/17/14 at 6:30am
post #6583 of 10502

Now someone needs to try a FETRON as a driver. 2C51 / 396A / 407A pinout with no heater connections required. ;)

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Teledyne-FETRON-dual-triode-direct-replacement-of-WE396A-407A-tube-/271510171780

 

Information Manual

http://www.lib.radionostalgia.ca/Unsorted_Book/Unsorted/FETRON_Solid_State_Vacuum_Tube_Replacement.pdf


Edited by TrollDragon - 6/17/14 at 7:03am
post #6584 of 10502

Another update on 6832 + RCA 6AS7G and RCA 6080. Put in the the two different power tubes. By moving my office chair (on wheels) and positioning myself in front of the right and left speakers alternatively I can A/B the tubes. (Works especially well with a good quality mono recording) It is also possible to move the balance control right or left, but moving the sweet spot works better for me.

 

David, Goliath and Sixty Eighty: (Taken with flash)

 

A closer view:

And the obligatory night view in honor of the Orange Glow Tube Society (Try that with a Fetron!  - "The best thing since the West was won!")

OK, back to the serious stuff. I can definitively hear a difference between the power tubes. The 6AS7G is warmer and has beautiful timbre, but the bass is less powerful and more recessed and somewhat muffled. In addition, it allows for more front to back depth of the sound stage.The 6080 goes lower and is harder hitting. It has stronger bass and more slam and attack, as well as being more forward and open sounding. The amount of detail seems to be the same.

 

Since I started listening to these 2.5A power tubes the various musicians on different recordings started to talk to each other (or shout) much more during the recordings - don't know why they were quiet before!

 

"If it ain't got that swing it ain't got a thing." That thing for me is superior bass performance. In this shootout the nod goes to the Stromberg-Carlson (RCA) 6080 tube. (Possibly other 6AS7 tubes could best them.)

 

I am also starting to realize the impact power tubes have on the sound. Conventional wisdom has it that the power tubes account for 15% of the sound. The same conventional wisdom has it that if you increase horsepower in an engine 5% you don't notice it, but if you lose 5% horsepower you feel it right away. IMHO the power tubes lay the rhythmic bass foundation for the music. Having tasted superior bass performance I now know what I have been missing, and there is no going back.....In addition, the power tubes affect the overall sound as well. In sum, the effect of power tubes is an all encompassing effect and not necessarily quantifiable, but still highly significant in the overall musical presentation.

post #6585 of 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITIZENLIN View Post
 


Update on adapters

 

I just received replacement adapters. EB seller "happydiy998" sent me replacement pair of adapters via DHL EXPRESS. Took 6 days because of the weekend. Vanessa was the one helped me out with the whole process and upgrade china post to DHL express. Now i just have to listen to them as soon as I get home... can't wait.  Thank you everyone here for your inputs.

Thank you again to Vanessa @ happydiy998.:beerchug:

 

Am really glad things are beginning to look up for you...you will forget all about this hiccough once you hear what the C3Gs can do, lol! :gs1000smile:.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Another update on 6832 + RCA 6AS7G and RCA 6080. Put in the the two different power tubes. By moving my office chair (on wheels) and positioning myself in front of the right and left speakers alternatively I can A/B the tubes. (Works especially well with a good quality mono recording) It is also possible to move the balance control right or left, but moving the sweet spot works better for me.

 

David, Goliath and Sixty Eighty: (Taken with flash)

 

A closer view:

And the obligatory night view in honor of the Orange Glow Tube Society (Try that with a Fetron!  - "The best thing since the West was won!")

OK, back to the serious stuff. I can definitively hear a difference between the power tubes. The 6AS7G is warmer and has beautiful timbre, but the bass is less powerful and more recessed and somewhat muffled. In addition, it allows for more front to back depth of the sound stage.The 6080 goes lower and is harder hitting. It has stronger bass and more slam and attack, as well as being more forward and open sounding. The amount of detail seems to be the same.

 

Since I started listening to these 2.5A power tubes the various musicians on different recordings started to talk to each other (or shout) much more during the recordings - don't know why they were quiet before!

 

"If it ain't got that swing it ain't got a thing." That thing for me is superior bass performance. In this shootout the nod goes to the Stromberg-Carlson (RCA) 6080 tube. (Possibly other 6AS7 tubes could best them.)

 

I am also starting to realize the impact power tubes have on the sound. Conventional wisdom has it that the power tubes account for 15% of the sound. The same conventional wisdom has it that if you increase horsepower in an engine 5% you don't notice it, but if you lose 5% horsepower you feel it right away. IMHO the power tubes lay the rhythmic bass foundation for the music. Having tasted superior bass performance I now know what I have been missing, and there is no going back.....In addition, the power tubes affect the overall sound as well. In sum, the effect of power tubes is an all encompassing effect and not necessarily quantifiable, but still highly significant in the overall musical presentation.

 

Hey mordy...looks like I'm gonna have to give the 6080s a try after all. Even if only for interest's sake! (My wallet does NOT thank you,though!! - apparently only top-notch 6080s might beat my Chatham 6AS7Gs, and mainly the rather expensive (and rare) graphite plate/column versions. But I shall try some of your tactics, and perhaps I'll get lucky...

 

Am glad you have confirmed my previous what-I-thought-to-be-heretical statements re. the importance of power tubes in the overall sound...the difference is beyond doubt AND question, not to mention BELIEF lol!

 

'Tis funny you should mention musicians "talking/shouting" to each other (not literally I presume!)...but today I popped in a CD of a (very old) Peter, Paul and Mary recording - please don't laugh, they were a very talented trio (IMO!) - and I heard a slight whispering at the beginning of a track that I had never heard before...I was gobsmacked, to say the least. And despite some rather dubious sound engineering - not to mention "limitations in the Master Tape" - the overall sound left me even more dumbfounded. What this amp keeps on producing now just continues to scramble my brain...detail retrieval especially is phenomenal - I make no apologies for all the superlatives! I can only urge EVERYONE to go the extra mile and give these power tubes a try...you would NOT regret it....ask mordy...and iluvmusic2...and ???

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide