or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 419

post #6271 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller View Post
 

Do you think you should use these if you choose to go sub mini?

link 9-pin breadboard / prototype tube socket for DIY experimenting @ ebay

IMO if i were to used these proto board for minis i will just solder a solid wire to minis  leads long enough to bend the leads into place and to reach those terminal blocks or push those solid wire into the socket and put insulations to those leads.

post #6272 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller View Post
 

I guess then what I am asking that is that prototype board the right size to plug a sub meanie tube into straightaway without doing what you are showing above?

 

P.S. after looking at your picture I think the one that's right for the minis is linked and pictured below.

 

7-pin mini breadboard / prototype tube socket for DIY experimenting

It all depends on  what type(ie.7,8 or 9 leads)of mini's you are using in my case iam using 6832(8 LEADS).

post #6273 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller View Post
 

Do you think you should use these if you choose to go sub mini?

link 9-pin breadboard / prototype tube socket for DIY experimenting @ ebay

 

When I first got the Sylvania 7963, this is exactly what I did. Works fine. The only problem is if you want to roll another tube, not a sub-miniature, you have to completely rewire everything. A PITA. lol :)

 

Edit: This 9-pin socket works fine. Since the 7963 has only 8 leads, terminal #9 is simply not connected.

Edit2: The Sylvania 7963 and the Raytheon 6832 have the exact same pin assignment.

 


Edited by gibosi - 5/25/14 at 7:55pm
post #6274 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Hi Mordy,

      The 6080 is identical to 6AS7 i beleived by using 2 as power tubes for MK III(which i have) IMO there is nothing special about it except creating a lot of heat for the MK III i'am not comfortable using it as a power tubes on my MK III it gets  too hot.As much i love to push my amp to it's limit i would not bother using it with my amp although it works.Enjoy and Good luck with your 6080!

 

Hi ilm 2.

 

Strange indeed...the difference in my MKIV SE is quite dramatic...in ALL areas. The 6SN7s (well, my 7N7 & Psvane CV181- TII versions!) may have appeared to be heavier in the bass, but in comparison to the 6AS7Gs it was in fact more like bloated bass...nowhere near as clean, pure or detailed - in my setup, anyway (especially now with pure silver in both adapters, and of course I don't need that extra extender adapter either...both of which will make quite a difference in cleaning up the bass, as well as all the other goodies they bring, lol!).

 

And as for heat, there is definitely something going on with your amp...mine is nowhere near the "too hot to handle" mark...in fact case temp is just 39C after 4.5 hrs...see below...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

Hypnos1 has been running 6AS7's in his MK IV and his most recent temperature measurements on a critical resistor don't seem overly hot: 

 

"36C after 1 hour, and 39C after 4.5 hrs"

 

Have you taken similar measurements in your MK III?

 

Hi g.

 

Actually that was the case temp. The resistor's was 59C - still way below the maximum operation value, I believe...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Or it could be less bass because of my 6AS7 (mine is 6H13C)Brand/Manufacturer maybe it depends on tubes brand/manufacturer i could be wrong.

NOTE: I'am not trying to discourage some of you guys to used 6AS7 as power tubes it's just my opinion.

 

Coupled with my previous remarks, your tubes - either Russian or Chinese - do not (apparently) match up to even the modestly-priced RCAs.

I repeat...there is something strange going on with your set-up for you not to be noticing a great improvement over the 6SN7s...:wink:. I am really sorry you are not getting the same mind-blowing results that I still cannot believe...

post #6275 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post

 

Yes, the LD 1+ can roll 20v WE408A's, so heater-wise, it could easily handle a pair of C3m's.

 

Even the +150% heater current?

post #6276 of 10559

Just a little progress progress report on the sub miniature Raytheon JAN 6932. As good as they are, suddenly there is a marked improvement in sound - more of everything. More air, ambiance, treble, bass, detail; you pick the words. Instead as previously "watching" the sound stage, I can now "see into" the sound stage, similar to my experience with the 6AS7GT.

Usually detailed and analytical is antithetical to sweet and musical, but here? Maybe we finally have both....

 

Could it be that these little buggers need extended burn-in? I reckon it is around 70-80 hours+ by now. Amazing...

 

If anybody knows where I can buy a Russian sub miniature tube 6N16G-V ( 6Н16Г-В in Russian)  let me know. According to one source this is the best one.

 

Otherwise I have my eyes on the 6N16B but I don't know if it is any better than the Raytheon 6832. Seems that the Russian sellers like to sell them in 4-packs or more.

 

From the Raytheon catalog: "Popular Raytheon  (subminiature) industrial types and improved military versions meet a host of critical applications. Their long life and stability insure optimum performance in guided missiles, computers, communications and radar equipments and radiation measuring instruments. In high temperature and high radiation environments their reliable qualities overcome your most critical problems."

 

Maybe this tube has overcome the critical problem of merging analytical with musical - end game? Think of it, instead of sitting in a guided missile, this tube is sitting in my hi-fi setup just generating intense listening pleasure.

post #6277 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari View Post
 

 

Even the +150% heater current?

 

Good point! And I believe so....

 

Multiplying 20 volts by .125 amps = .2.5 watts. Dividing 2.5 watts by 6.3 volts = .397 amps. By comparison, the C3g draws .37 amps, so quite close. And as a number of us have run 6.3 volt, .45 amp pentodes, such as the 6AH6 / 6485, in the past with no problems, the C3m should be fine. :)


Edited by gibosi - 5/26/14 at 2:02pm
post #6278 of 10559

I am currently enjoying 6n6p-IR with 6HM5 on my LD IV. I went through 6au6, 6be6, 6dt6a ect.... I thought I was very happy with 6DT6A and 6N6p-IR until I read about 6HM5. How much more would I get out of LD IV by getting 6SN7 as power tube with adapter? Should I get the C3G with adapter first before 6SN7 or get both to get major differences from my current set up. I am asking because my wallet is on little thin side right now. 

 

1. Get 6SN7 and adapter

OR

2. GET C3G and adapter

What are your opinion on improvement? (percentage wise)

 

 

Thank you


Edited by CITIZENLIN - 5/26/14 at 11:01pm
post #6279 of 10559

I use the 6SN7 (with adaptor) and 6HM5 on my Mk 3 and find improved dynamics, bass and air between instruments..not sure if a similar result would occur with your IV.

post #6280 of 10559

i have to give a shoutout to the C3G Adapter seller on Ebay :

happydiy998

Everything went fine, except there was a crack in the glass base holding the pins in one of the adapters, so they offered a total refund for that adapter if it doesn`t work.They've always answered the same day being kind and polite and they even deducted total postage fee for 4pieces of the adapter.

 

I got to listen to the C3G's yesterday and listened to 3 albums being Basement on a Hill from Elliott Smith, Magical Mystery Tour from The Beatles and Present Tense from Wild Biests.

As for the Elliott Smith album i was surprised to hear a 3D image of the strumming of his gitarre.The total frequency spectrum was represented evenly across from highs to lows. Details were very rich and i even heard some talking on the Beatles album, that i have never heard before. I'm not sure if this was the honeymoon effect and hightened senses but i was satisfied with what i heard and will let these tubes be my endgame (haha). My setup was MKIII and my HD650s and already used C3G's.

post #6281 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITIZENLIN View Post
 

I am currently enjoying 6n6p-IR with 6HM5 on my LD IV. I went through 6au6, 6be6, 6dt6a ect.... I thought I was very happy with 6DT6A and 6N6p-IR until I read about 6HM5. How much more would I get out of LD IV by getting 6SN7 as power tube with adapter? Should I get the C3G with adapter first before 6SN7 or get both to get major differences from my current set up. I am asking because my wallet is on little thin side right now. 

 

1. Get 6SN7 and adapter

OR

2. GET C3G and adapter

What are your opinion on improvement? (percentage wise)

 

Of course, you are going to want to do both! Of course! :)

 

In my opinion, assigning improvement percentages to options 1 and 2 is very difficult to do, but it is clear that either will make a significant difference. My suggestion is to start with the cheapest option first, which is probably a nice pair of 6SN7's and adapters.

 

Cheers

post #6282 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITIZENLIN View Post
 

I am currently enjoying 6n6p-IR with 6HM5 on my LD IV. I went through 6au6, 6be6, 6dt6a ect.... I thought I was very happy with 6DT6A and 6N6p-IR until I read about 6HM5. How much more would I get out of LD IV by getting 6SN7 as power tube with adapter? Should I get the C3G with adapter first before 6SN7 or get both to get major differences from my current set up. I am asking because my wallet is on little thin side right now. 

 

1. Get 6SN7 and adapter

OR

2. GET C3G and adapter

What are your opinion on improvement? (percentage wise)

 

 

Thank you

 

Hi C.

 

gibosi is probably right re the order of things, but I would say -  from my own experience with the IV SE - that the C3G gives a greater percentage improvement. So you must save up for them (or give out hints for birthday etc.!). Unless, that is, you can keep trying to find some for silly money a-la-mordy...but I wish you good luck! in that lol...:wink_face:.

post #6283 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdux View Post
 

i have to give a shoutout to the C3G Adapter seller on Ebay :

happydiy998

Everything went fine, except there was a crack in the glass base holding the pins in one of the adapters, so they offered a total refund for that adapter if it doesn`t work.They've always answered the same day being kind and polite and they even deducted total postage fee for 4pieces of the adapter.

 

I got to listen to the C3G's yesterday and listened to 3 albums being Basement on a Hill from Elliott Smith, Magical Mystery Tour from The Beatles and Present Tense from Wild Biests.

As for the Elliott Smith album i was surprised to hear a 3D image of the strumming of his gitarre.The total frequency spectrum was represented evenly across from highs to lows. Details were very rich and i even heard some talking on the Beatles album, that i have never heard before. I'm not sure if this was the honeymoon effect and hightened senses but i was satisfied with what i heard and will let these tubes be my endgame (haha). My setup was MKIII and my HD650s and already used C3G's.

 

If that is 'honeymoon effect', then mine must be the longest honeymoon EVER...and I'm not even married!! Mind you, more than 25 years together qualifies me as such, I suppose :evil:.

 

And things will improve for you even more as those adapters burn in lol...Actually, superdux, "heightening of the senses" is a VERY apt statement as to what these tubes manage to impart in bucketloads! Am also glad to hear your positive experience with 'happydiy998'...would hate anything to spoil the magic of this tube...

post #6284 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 

 

Hi ilm 2.

 

Strange indeed...the difference in my MKIV SE is quite dramatic...in ALL areas. The 6SN7s (well, my 7N7 & Psvane CV181- TII versions!) may have appeared to be heavier in the bass, but in comparison to the 6AS7Gs it was in fact more like bloated bass...nowhere near as clean, pure or detailed - in my setup, anyway (especially now with pure silver in both adapters, and of course I don't need that extra extender adapter either...both of which will make quite a difference in cleaning up the bass, as well as all the other goodies they bring, lol!).

 

And as for heat, there is definitely something going on with your amp...mine is nowhere near the "too hot to handle" mark...in fact case temp is just 39C after 4.5 hrs...see below...

 

 

Hi g.

 

Actually that was the case temp. The resistor's was 59C - still way below the maximum operation value, I believe...

 

 

Coupled with my previous remarks, your tubes - either Russian or Chinese - do not (apparently) match up to even the modestly-priced RCAs.

I repeat...there is something strange going on with your set-up for you not to be noticing a great improvement over the 6SN7s...:wink:. I am really sorry you are not getting the same mind-blowing results that I still cannot believe...

Don't really know what to say about my experienced with these 6AS7 power tubes.Today though i received 3pcs of  6080 tubes from RCA,SYLVANIA and GE i will try those tubes and see if there is a difference in sound.Regarding the heat issue i maybe over exaggerated(should not wrote too hot) about that i know it gets hot hotter than usual. 

post #6285 of 10559

Ok first few minutes with 6080 RCA and SYLVANIA i noticed a difference in bass these tubes are better than my 6H13C. the soundstage is bigger and  smoother treble IMO that is.I will see after few hours of burn-in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide