or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 363

post #5431 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


That is interesting, before I picked up the German Maestro's as my closed can I asked HiFiGuy528 about a neutral pair of closed. He has the MB Quart version which was German Maestro's previous company, also his major recommendation was the AKG 550's. He likes them so much he has two pairs, I have not heard them but would like to one of these days. Are they to neutral for your liking?

I actually think they sound good... good bass extension and mids... the treble is never biting or bright, it just seems like it is missing something. Decent imaging, sound stage and no bass bleed (these are not bass head cans by any means lol) I did have to modify the ear pads and bend the headband to get a good seal... without doing that they were not usable and sounded awful. If I can make these fit a little better (why couldn't AKG use the k/q7xx headbands?) I'll keep them.

post #5432 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

My pleasure if it helped you out . Theres  no rush anymore  time to take it easy for my part .

Really thank you lol

post #5433 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

I actually think they sound good... good bass extension and mids... the treble is never biting or bright, it just seems like it is missing something. Decent imaging, sound stage and no bass bleed (these are not bass head cans by any means lol) I did have to modify the ear pads and bend the headband to get a good seal... without doing that they were not usable and sounded awful. If I can make these fit a little better (why couldn't AKG use the k/q7xx headbands?) I'll keep them.


Thanks for the sound info, yes I have read a lot about the fit issues. I'll really have to find a place to try these before I'd blind order them.

:beerchug:

post #5434 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 


Thanks for the sound info, yes I have read a lot about the fit issues. I'll really have to find a place to try these before I'd blind order them.

:beerchug:

Amazon... so you can send em back if you hate them!

post #5435 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

Amazon... so you can send em back if you hate them!


Canada here... so the shipping back to Amazon with tracking would be a killer. I sent an Audioengine D1 (Great DAC, schiit amp) back to B&H without tracking through regular mail and had anxiety the whole time it was in transit that it wouldn't get lost or stolen...

 

You 'mericans have a seriously great dealie with your country wide shipping and Amazon returns. :D

post #5436 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

 

a Mullard 6SN7

 

CCCP. Rebranded. Mullard did not make 6SN7s.

post #5437 of 10509

Hi,

 

I have a problem - I am perfectly happy with my MKIII IR-8FQ7 set-up, and I don't feel the need to upgrade to a $2000 amp. Is something wrong with me?

 

I agree that the Woos and Deuces look much nicer than my 1925 styling spider web amp, but to me it does not matter.

 

Waiting for two adapters from China to try 6SN7 tubes as power tubes, but that's it for curiosity (meanwhile).

post #5438 of 10509

I don't have a problem. (Or at least any that I am willing to discuss here! lol)

 

I am not at all unhappy with my LD1+ MUSES02/6SN7 set-up. But that said, eventually, I would like to be able to roll output tubes instead of op amps. So I expect that I will purchase another amp someday, but not any time soon, and very fortunately for my wallet, it will not be necessary to spend $2000 to do this. :)

post #5439 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab1376 View Post
 

 

 

 

I really do look forward to seeing your finished product, and i hope they sound as good as they look!

 

Well mab, miracle of miracles - the Psvanes have arrived! And quicker from Hong Kong than Germany sometimes!

 

So here are a couple of pics....they do tower over the C3GSs somewhat, but I prefer that to the "little" DRs behind....and I finally have my curves!!

 

So how do they sound, I hear you ask? Given that they are supposed to be at their best after100 (yes, one hundred!) hours, all I can say is WOW! Straight out of the box, and with new bought adapters (NOT with my beloved silver wire, alas - YET), I seriously believe they have the potential to even surpass the 6N30P-DRs - and that's not wishful thinking. I was not expecting this AT ALL (especially at half the price...). Bass has even more weight; mids are even more present; nothing is compromising the magic of the C3GSs - just a slight edge to the upper end, but nowhere near as much as I would have expected given all is new. In other words I am totally blown away - already!!

 

Will keep you posted...

 

 

 

I'm in love...AGAIN...

post #5440 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 

 

Well mab, miracle of miracles - the Psvanes have arrived! And quicker from Hong Kong than Germany sometimes!

 

So here are a couple of pics....they do tower over the C3GSs somewhat, but I prefer that to the "little" DRs behind....and I finally have my curves!!

 

So how do they sound, I hear you ask? Given that they are supposed to be at their best after100 (yes, one hundred!) hours, all I can say is WOW! Straight out of the box, and with new bought adapters (NOT with my beloved silver wire, alas - YET), I seriously believe they have the potential to even surpass the 6N30P-DRs - and that's not wishful thinking. I was not expecting this AT ALL (especially at half the price...). Bass has even more weight; mids are even more present; nothing is compromising the magic of the C3GSs - just a slight edge to the upper end, but nowhere near as much as I would have expected given all is new. In other words I am totally blown away - already!!

 

Will keep you posted...

 

 

 

I'm in love...AGAIN...

 

 

Now i feel more fire to get the c3gs' and make the adapters.

 

congrats! looks amazing!

post #5441 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post

 

Now this is starting to look like a Tube Amplifier to me. Excellent!

 

But there is still some way to go.

~15kg

post #5442 of 10509

LD 4 looks great !


Edited by MIKELAP - 3/17/14 at 12:17pm
post #5443 of 10509

Thanks a lot guys for the encouraging messages...had been having a good few serious doubts up 'til now! But thankfully, they're all blown away...

 

mab : I am sure the C3GSs are providing the real magic here, so if you get the chance, take the plunge!

 

artsi : A real pleasure to get your approval also...but as for going 15kg...I'll pass on that one, thank you very much!

 

mike : I still like your WA2, you lucky feller!

 

Cheers (breathes a sigh of relief...- is there a smiley for such?!)


Edited by hypnos1 - 3/17/14 at 12:45pm
post #5444 of 10509

Hi Artsi,

 

I assume this is your own amp design - which tubes are you using?

post #5445 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 

Thanks a lot guys for the encouraging messages...had been having a good few serious doubts up 'til now! But thankfully, they're all blown away...

 

mab : I am sure the C3GSs are providing the real magic here, so if you get the chance, take the plunge!

 

artsi : A real pleasure to get your approval also...but as for going 15kg...I'll pass on that one, thank you very much!

 

mike : I still like your WA2, you lucky feller!

 

Cheers (breathes a sigh of relief...- is there a smiley for such?!)

 

I would like to build adapters like you did to clean up my amp since it's a mess with all these wires going to the vector adapters for my 6SU7 tube.

 

Hopefully soon I'll have the patience and ambition to get it done. If i order the tubes I'll be on the hook to get it done once they tubes are on my desk staring at me. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide