Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 362

post #5416 of 7690

 

Look at what I scored locally here in Omaha today!

 

a Mullard 6SN7, Gold Arrow 5692 and a Sylvania NOS 6SN7 button bottom.

 

I am traveling and do not have my LD with me so it will be at least 3 weeks before I get to testing these.

post #5417 of 7690
Nice score!

Three weeks... hope you have a sweet portable rig with you.
post #5418 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

 

Thank you sir for responding for me... between traveling and working nights I've been pretty scarce around here...

My pleasure if it helped you out . Theres  no rush anymore  time to take it easy for my part .

post #5419 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Nice score!

Three weeks... hope you have a sweet portable rig with you.

I have my home theater PC, E17 and my K550's that I'm evaluating... so no... I need better cans lol

 

They aren't bad cans... just not as good as I'd like... might keep them and throw a mod mic on them for gaming...

post #5420 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectoR13 View Post

And gibosi, I have to clarify, I think I was wrong.
They are not bad boys, but rather these tubes in the link http://www.tubemaze.info/sylvania-6sn7gt-black-flat-plates/
But anyways, they sound brilliant!

 

I have yet to hear a Sylvania 6SN7 I don't like, so I am not at all surprised they sound brilliant! :)

 

And as my LD 1+ is an op amp hybrid, I am not able to try 6SN7s as output tubes, so I am a bit envious... :(  I am thinking I should get another amp so I can roll output tubes....   But for now, new headphones are a higher priority. :)

post #5421 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

I have yet to hear a Sylvania 6SN7 I don't like, so I am not at all surprised they sound brilliant! :)

 

And as my LD 1+ is an op amp hybrid, I am not able to try 6SN7s as output tubes, so I am a bit envious... :(  I am thinking I should get another amp so I can roll output tubes....   But for now, new headphones are a higher priority. :)

OH !OH ! i see it coming again.:                THE EMPTY WALLET SYNDROME                                                                                                                                                                  

post #5422 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

OH !OH ! i see it coming again.:                THE EMPTY WALLET SYNDROME                                                                                                                                                               

 

lol.....  Well, my income tax refund was a little higher than I expected... and it's starting to burn a hole in my wallet...  What should I get?  lol  :)

post #5423 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

lol.....  Well, my income tax refund was a little higher than I expected... and it's starting to burn a hole in my wallet...  What should I get?  lol  :)

LD MKVI+ or a WA6SE

post #5424 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

lol.....  Well, my income tax refund was a little higher than I expected... and it's starting to burn a hole in my wallet...  What should I get?  lol  :)

Thats exciting ! I would say go for the gusto we worked hard enough to get there .

post #5425 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

LD MKVI+ or a WA6SE

 

I would prefer to stay with 6SN7 and the 6AS7. My current investment in tubes is obviously a factor, as I already have a bunch of some of the best 6SN7s and ECC40s. Further, the 6AS7s are relatively cheap and many consider them to be one of the very best power tubes available, so the LD is more appealing to me than the Woo. However, I believe my tricked out Little Dot is good enough to warrant better headphones and so this is where I think I am heading.... :)

 

Edit: Oh, the LD VI+ uses 6H9C / 6SL7 rather than 6N8S / 6NS7, so scratch that one off the list....

Edit2: Just discovered that even though it ships with 6SL7s, it was designed to accommodate 6SN7s as well, sacrificing only a little gain... so back on the list it goes. :)


Edited by gibosi - 3/16/14 at 6:30pm
post #5426 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

I would prefer to stay with 6SN7 and the 6AS7. My current investment in tubes is obviously a factor, as I already have a bunch of some of the best 6SN7s and ECC40s. Further, the 6AS7s are relatively cheap and many consider them to be one of the very best power tubes available, so the LD is more appealing to me than the Woo. However, I believe my tricked out Little Dot is good enough to warrant better headphones and so this is where I think I am heading.... :)

 

Edit: Oh, the LD VI+ uses 6H9C / 6SL7 rather than 6N8S / 6NS7, so scratch that one off the list....

Edit2: Just discovered that even though it ships with 6SL7s, it was designed to accommodate 6SN7s as well, sacrificing only a little gain... so back on the list it goes. :)


Those edits were quick lol

post #5427 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

I have my home theater PC, E17 and my K550's that I'm evaluating... so no... I need better cans lol

They aren't bad cans... just not as good as I'd like... might keep them and throw a mod mic on them for gaming...
That is interesting, before I picked up the German Maestro's as my closed can I asked HiFiGuy528 about a neutral pair of closed. He has the MB Quart version which was German Maestro's previous company, also his major recommendation was the AKG 550's. He likes them so much he has two pairs, I have not heard them but would like to one of these days. Are they to neutral for your liking?
post #5428 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post

lol.....  Well, my income tax refund was a little higher than I expected... and it's starting to burn a hole in my wallet...  What should I get?  lol  smily_headphones1.gif
WA5 LE with the ultra sweet 300B's and you can always sell off the 6SN7's on eBay to fund the Sophia Princesses you will just want to buy...

A nice Eddie Current Zana Deux with those sweet 6C33C-B Mig Fighter tubes would be the ultimate.
beerchug.gif
post #5429 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


WA5 LE with the ultra sweet 300B's and you can always sell off the 6SN7's on eBay to fund the Sophia Princesses you will just want to buy...

A nice Eddie Current Zana Deux with those sweet 6C33C-B Mig Fighter tubes would be the ultimate.
beerchug.gif

 

lol... Yes, likely either or both are "ultimate", but the amount I got back from the tax collector won't get me anywhere near those prices... :(  And besides, I am much more comfortable with the notion of slow and orderly change rather than a revolution. :)

 

Further... at this point in time, I am in the market for a new pair of headphones, not a new amp. I believe my ugly little amp is good enough to justify new headphones... However, I don't believe my headphones are good enough to justify a new amp....


Edited by gibosi - 3/16/14 at 7:20pm
post #5430 of 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


WA5 LE with the ultra sweet 300B's and you can always sell off the 6SN7's on eBay to fund the Sophia Princesses you will just want to buy...

A nice Eddie Current Zana Deux with those sweet 6C33C-B Mig Fighter tubes would be the ultimate.
beerchug.gif

Hey TD always document what your talking about ,because you know a picture is worth a thousand words lol :eek:                                                                                                                                                                              

 

                            

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide