or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 360

post #5386 of 10509

Well its a done deal i am the proud owner of a gorgeous Woo Audio 2 tube amp .My treat picture wise of course lol.                                                                                                                                                                                            

                                                         CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 95

                                                   

post #5387 of 10509
Congratulations MIKELAP!

That is a gorgeous amp and will be incredible with the HD800's.
post #5388 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Congratulations MIKELAP!

That is a gorgeous amp and will be incredible with the HD800's.

Thanks alot TD it is gorgeous lol will get it Monday or Tuesday. with already upgraded tubes plus my 6DJ8 will work with this amp thats even better.

post #5389 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

Well its a done deal i am the proud owner of a gorgeous Woo Audio 2 tube amp .My treat picture wise of course lol. 

                                            

 

Congratulations! Everything I have read about this amp suggests that is crazy good! :)

 

But... Does this mean we won't see you here anymore? :((((((

post #5390 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I would leave the metal off myself, adds a unique flavor to the tube. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Yes, it does look pretty neat without the metal, but I worry about the black phenolic base coming loose as I try to wriggle the tube out the socket. The metal ring does have four interlocking tabs securing it to the black phenolic base which makes it a little easier to handle. But perhaps I am being a bit overprotective. lol :)

post #5391 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

Congratulations! Everything I have read about this amp suggests that is crazy good! :)

 

But... Does this mean we won't see you here anymore? :((((((

The only thing it means is that my pc station his going to be even more cluttered beside that its bussiness as usual LEAVE MY BUDDY'S NO WAY !!!!

post #5392 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post

Yes, it does look pretty neat without the metal, but I worry about the black phenolic base coming loose as I try to wriggle the tube out the socket. The metal ring does have four interlocking tabs securing it to the black phenolic base which makes it a little easier to handle. But perhaps I am being a bit overprotective. lol smily_headphones1.gif
JB Weld is good to 500F and will withstand 600F for 10 Minutes... Mix some up and put it on the inside of the metal on both sides of the split you can put a little on the opposite side as well. Attach the ring, align it nicely and clamp it, wipe off the excess from the crack and in 24 hours you will not get that ring off again.

You mentioned Crazy glue before, the only thing that stuff is good for is gluing fingers together... I hate the stuff, the bond shatters if dropped or hit after it sets.
post #5393 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post

LEAVE MY BUDDY'S NO WAY !!!!
Famous last words...

Once you start hanging around with the Woo crowd in the Summit-Fi threads, upgrading your DAC and cables and Tubes... You won't have time for us in the little Chi-nee amp thread where copper and flying wires are the order of the day.
wink.gif
post #5394 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post

 

....LEAVE MY BUDDY'S NO WAY !!!!

 

I hope so... But like TD says... After a basking in Summit-Fi land for awhile, "copper and flying wires" may well seem "tres gauche" lol

 

But back to the tubes! :)

 

For those who might be interested in ECC40s, it is back to the misleading and confusing world of Philips tubes, similar to the ECC88s.....

 

Here is a listing for a Siemens ECC 40, "made in Germany". But the code indicates this tube was manufactured in Chartres, France (±), likely in the 1970s.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-ECC-40-Elektronenrohre-/201053058472?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item2ecfb235a8

 

And here is another listing: 2 x ECC40 / CV3884 MINIWATT DARIO made in HOLLAND. But the code suggests these tubes were manufactured in Suresnes, France (F), in 1948. (It is not at all clear what "60" refers to....)

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-ECC40-CV3884-MINIWATT-DARIO-made-in-HOLLAND-Valve-Tube-Rohre-/251475549801?pt=Accessori_per_Radioamatori&hash=item3a8d1c5e69


Edited by gibosi - 3/15/14 at 1:12pm
post #5395 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


Famous last words...

Once you start hanging around with the Woo crowd in the Summit-Fi threads, upgrading your DAC and cables and Tubes... You won't have time for us in the little Chi-nee amp thread where copper and flying wires are the order of the day.
wink.gif

post #5396 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

JB Weld is good to 500F and will withstand 600F for 10 Minutes... Mix some up and put it on the inside of the metal on both sides of the split you can put a little on the opposite side as well. Attach the ring, align it nicely and clamp it, wipe off the excess from the crack and in 24 hours you will not get that ring off again.

You mentioned Crazy glue before, the only thing that stuff is good for is gluing fingers together... I hate the stuff, the bond shatters if dropped or hit after it sets.

 

Thanks for the tip. I don't have any JB Weld, but it sure sounds like it would be a very good glue to have on hand, for this and many other uses.

 

Cheers

post #5397 of 10509

Is there an ultimate tube for the Hybrid Little Dot +. I have about a dozen pairs. But I only listen to the Sylvania Gold Brand 408. And Mullard 8083. Should I stop looking or is there better tubes for the Dot + out there.

Really like warmth, musicality and soundstage.

post #5398 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree View Post
 

Is there an ultimate tube for the Hybrid Little Dot +. I have about a dozen pairs. But I only listen to the Sylvania Gold Brand 408. And Mullard 8083. Should I stop looking or is there better tubes for the Dot + out there.

Really like warmth, musicality and soundstage.

the best tube is the one you like the most. Out of things that work in the LD without modification the tall bottle 6HM5 are one of the best tubes available (the yugo and Sylvania's seem to be the favorites)

 

IF you are willing to mod/wire up some adapters there's a whole new world of better tubes to be tried...

post #5399 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

Thanks alot TD it is gorgeous lol will get it Monday or Tuesday. with already upgraded tubes plus my 6DJ8 will work with this amp thats even better.

Congratulations Mike. :(


Edited by lljayll - 3/15/14 at 11:08pm
post #5400 of 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

the best tube is the one you like the most. Out of things that work in the LD without modification the tall bottle 6HM5 are one of the best tubes available (the yugo and Sylvania's seem to be the favorites)

 

IF you are willing to mod/wire up some adapters there's a whole new world of better tubes to be tried...

What are the sonic characteristics of the 6hm5? And what kind of adaptor would I need to use it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide