or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 358

post #5356 of 10501
Quote:

But.... Then we would have to go out and buy new adapters to run all of our favorite 6AK5s!! :)

 

 

 

Very funny!

post #5357 of 10501

any specific type and brand of adhesive you guys used for your copper adapters?THANKS!

post #5358 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post

any specific type and brand of adhesive you guys used for your copper adapters?THANKS!
Solder for the pipe and Hot Glue or JB Weld Kwik for the 7 pin connectors.

JB Weld is permanent, and the Kwik stuff gives you 1 minute of mix time and 5 minutes till mostly set. Leave it overnight and you can file or drill it as you like, I've seen intake manifolds on small engines repaired with the stuff. biggrin.gif
post #5359 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

any specific type and brand of adhesive you guys used for your copper adapters?THANKS!

For the pin part of the adapter i use hot glue to bond   the pin staightner  to ceramic socket                                             

And to the ceramic socket i use contact glue but use shrink wrap which i glue also  and so far everything is still ok  or JB weld it                                                               

But for the socket that holds the tube i JB weld the socket to the copper chassis


Edited by MIKELAP - 3/13/14 at 2:34pm
post #5360 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


Solder for the pipe and Hot Glue or JB Weld Kwik for the 7 pin connectors.

JB Weld is permanent, and the Kwik stuff gives you 1 minute of mix time and 5 minutes till mostly set. Leave it overnight and you can file or drill it as you like, I've seen intake manifolds on small engines repaired with the stuff. biggrin.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

For the pin part of the adapter i use hot glue to bond   the pin staightner  to ceramic socket                                             

And to the ceramic socket i use contact glue but use shrink wrap which i glue also  and so far everything is still ok  or JB weld it                                                               

But for the socket that holds the tube i JB weld the socket to the copper chassis

THANK YOU!JB weld should stick to plastic (Amphenol Octal socket)and copper right?

post #5361 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

 

 

THANK YOU!JB weld should stick to plastic (Amphenol Octal socket)and copper right?


Yes it will, for best results rough up the plastic and copper with some coarse sandpaper before using JB Weld, it helps the epoxy to stick better.

post #5362 of 10501

Recieved an electro-harmonix 6922EH today in a little tube hybrid amp I am going to review...

 

miuaudio MKTP1, I'll have to see if it will take a 6H9C once it comes apart... :D

post #5363 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 


Well done mab...indirectly you have me sleeping a little better at night as finally, at last, I have incontrovertible proof of my insanity - against all gibosi's sensible advice to try some cheaper 6SN7s first (sorry g!), I have bitten the bullet and gone for some Psvane CV181-T MKIIs (supposedly a step up from the Shuguang CV181-Z). If they come near (or even surpass?) your findings, I shall be a happy chappie...at least I will have achieved the look I seek...But , of course, it's very much down to how things partner each other, so I live in hope (not to mention patience...ie that darned slow boat!).

And I now realise it's not you I should blame for leading me astray - 'tis thou MORDY shouldst take the blame, viz your post saying things had gone quiet, and inciting to 'wake things up'!!.(Well, I can't blame myself now can I?!).

 

Perhaps you will be trying some of gibosi's musings on different 6SN7s as power tubes -  or are you now happy enough as things are?...

We wait with baited breath!...

 

Spotted this is the MK VI+ thread, jealous?

 

post #5364 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab1376 View Post
 

 

Spotted this is the MK VI+ thread, jealous?

 

 

Hey mab, what are you trying to do to me? All those curves are just too much for a poor, ageing lothario! (who am I kidding...those were the days lol - well, I was an officer on the 'Princess' ships out of LA for some years...enough said?!!).

 

I must admit I don't know if I prefer the looks of those Shuguang CV181-Zs over the Psvanes winging their way (hopefully) to me...perhaps I should get BOTH...now don't tempt me again, please!

Naturally, I shall post a photo or 2 when they arrive, and you can give me your (honest?) opinion...

 

And as for those - I presume - 6AS7Gs behind...what a shame we can't use them in our MKIII or IV. OR the 6080s...Both seem to be available for (almost) peanuts.

 

Mind you, methinks I prefer my curves to be on the 'small but beautifully-built' lines...those powers look BIG!!

post #5365 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 

 

Hey mab, what are you trying to do to me? All those curves are just too much for a poor, ageing lothario! (who am I kidding...those were the days lol - well, I was an officer on the 'Princess' ships out of LA for some years...enough said?!!).

 

I must admit I don't know if I prefer the looks of those Shuguang CV181-Zs over the Psvanes winging their way (hopefully) to me...perhaps I should get BOTH...now don't tempt me again, please!

Naturally, I shall post a photo or 2 when they arrive, and you can give me your (honest?) opinion...

 

And as for those - I presume - 6AS7Gs behind...what a shame we can't use them in our MKIII or IV. OR the 6080s...Both seem to be available for (almost) peanuts.

 

Mind you, methinks I prefer my curves to be on the 'small but beautifully-built' lines...those powers look BIG!!

 

i believe they're 6as7g's, the 5998's also have a similar bottle but got for about $125 a pop and are pretty rare now the 7236 is supposedly the cream of the crop and the same size bottle as the 6080.

 

you can use them on the MK 9 though. :tongue_smile: which is basically SE version and half of an MK VI+.

 

I really do look forward to seeing your finished product, and i hope they sound as good as they look!


Edited by mab1376 - 3/14/14 at 11:10am
post #5366 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab1376 View Post
 

 

i believe they're 6as7g's, the 5998's also have a similar bottle but got for about $125 a pop and are pretty rare now the 7236 is supposedly the cream of the crop and the same size bottle as the 6080.

 

you can use them on the MK 9 though. :tongue_smile: which is basically SE version and half of an MK VI+.

 

I really do look forward to seeing your finished product, and i hope they sound as good as they look!

 

Hey...you tryin' to tempt me with a MK9 now?. Is there no end to your perfidy, mab?! (But keep it up, lol!!).

 

And boy, am I hoping too!...

post #5367 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab1376 View Post

 

i believe they're 6as7g's

 

Yeah, Russian 6AS7G equivalents. You can actually see the =C= symbol of Svetlana in the photo.

post #5368 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 

 

Hey...you tryin' to tempt me with a MK9 now?. Is there no end to your perfidy, mab?! (But keep it up, lol!!).

 

And boy, am I hoping too!...

      Pictures we need pictures ahhhhhhhh !!!   Aint that sweet !  :L3000:                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

6442924320130605122116068.jpg

6442924320130605122227054.jpg

post #5369 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

      Pictures we need pictures ahhhhhhhh !!!   Aint that sweet !  :L3000:                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

6442924320130605122116068.jpg

6442924320130605122227054.jpg

 

So, MIKE, now YOU'RE trying to tempt me, eh? Shame on you...would you kick a guy when he's down?:devil_face: 

 

 

ps. Those 6080s could almost tempt me away from the curves!...


Edited by hypnos1 - 3/14/14 at 1:10pm
post #5370 of 10501

Nobody can accuse me of catering to aesthetics, what with my spiderweb of wires and adapters surrounding my MKIII. What matters to me is the sound. Does anybody know if the MK9 sounds significantly better than an up-to-date tube modded MKIII with your favorite tubes (and I don't mean 6AK5 tubes)?

 

Does a MKVI  (which I understand essentially is a double MK9)  sound so much better?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide