Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 341

post #5101 of 7532

I don't have a little dot, but i thought I would post here. Just got a XDuoo TA-02 which uses the 6J1 as stock, terrible tube. Also one failed after 30 mins of being plugged in (white cloud at the bottom, bass sounded awful).

 

So I decided to buy a pair of Mullard 5654 tubes off ebay. Got them today, put them in, and wow what a difference, brilliant body, the mids are a tad too warm sometimes, and the highs are a little less sparkly but the overall sound is much better. The are aged around 1964, Mitcham Factory, July, Week 4 (R4G4 code). Nice tubes, makes me want to try the Voshkod...

 

The TA-02 is a great little budget amp, for $112 retail it is incredible value, hybrid design.

 

Thanks for the guide. Using modded Grado SR-60's out of it at the moment.

post #5102 of 7532
The TA-03 looks interesting, with a lot of rolling possibilities...

http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/ProductShow.asp?id=41
post #5103 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post
 

I don't have a little dot, but i thought I would post here. Just got a XDuoo TA-02 which uses the 6J1 as stock, terrible tube. Also one failed after 30 mins of being plugged in (white cloud at the bottom, bass sounded awful).

 

So I decided to buy a pair of Mullard 5654 tubes off ebay. Got them today, put them in, and wow what a difference, brilliant body, the mids are a tad too warm sometimes, and the highs are a little less sparkly but the overall sound is much better. The are aged around 1964, Mitcham Factory, July, Week 4 (R4G4 code). Nice tubes, makes me want to try the Voshkod...

 

The TA-02 is a great little budget amp, for $112 retail it is incredible value, hybrid design.

 

Thanks for the guide. Using modded Grado SR-60's out of it at the moment.

You might want to check page 77 of this thread if your amp uses ef95 type tubes theres some there and usually around $3.00to $5.00 each and up 

post #5104 of 7532

Nice, will take a look. Might try and get the TA-03 after I've reviewed the TA-02, but the TA-02 is impressive in it's own right for a budget amp. I have the Bravo Audio Ocean too. I prefer the look of the TA-02 and the double tubes. The Ocean is more versatile in having both 3.5 and 6.3mm outputs, RCA and 3.5mm line in and also RCA out as a preamp.

Soundwise, depends on tubes i think, i haven't tried the 12AU7 mullard's i have in the Ocean as mine was faulty and I'm waiting for the replacement.

post #5105 of 7532

Since some of us here have external PS with octal adapter anyone tried using 12SN7 and is it safe to use with LD?

post #5106 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Since some of us here have external PS with octal adapter anyone tried using 12SN7 and is it safe to use with LD?

 

Yes, I have run 12SN7s and 25SN7s, and it is perfectly safe. :)

post #5107 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

Yes, I have run 12SN7s and 25SN7s, and it is perfectly safe. :)

Hi gibosi,in your opinion does it sound better than 6SN7 and what is the benefits of using it?THANKS!

post #5108 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Hi gibosi,in your opinion does it sound better than 6SN7 and what is the benefits of using it?THANKS!

 

In my opinion, the only benefit is sometimes the 12V and 25V tubes are cheaper. Otherwise, there is no difference. For example, a gray-glass 6SNGT RCA sounds exactly the same as the 12V and 25V versions.

post #5109 of 7532

Hi kvtaco17,

 

I am going through a lot of ten 6SN7 tubes I bought. They are all good, RCAs, Sylvanias, GE and a Japanese TenHiMaTo. Previously, I bought a bunch a 8 volt 6FQ7/6CG7 cousins - 8FQ7/8CG7 tubes. So far, the nod goes to the Japanese and Sylvania tubes.

 

These tubes are a development of the 6SN7 family with the same pinout as the 6DJ7 family. Maybe I am imagining, but I find the 8V 8FQ7 tubes to have more bass punch than the 6FQ7 tubes. (I know, they are supposed to sound the same, just different heaters. There are also 12V variants, but some high end amps use them, and I can't find these tubes at really low prices.) The best 8FQ7/CG7 tubes so far have been Japanese and Sylvania tubes - sounds familiar, eh?

 

The difference between the 6SN7 and 6/8FQ7 tubes IMHO is that the 6SN7 tubes are more musical and sweeter, and 6/8FQ7 are more detailed and somewhat analytical, with punchier bass.

 

Both tube families are wonderful to listen to; it's really a matter of taste and perhaps how they match your equipment. In addition, 6SN7 tubes are extremely common with thousands of offers on Ebay. The 6/8CQ7 tubes aren't as common, but can be found very inexpensive as well.

 

I can't compare these $2-4 tubes to ones costing $30-100 each because such tubes are beyond my self imposed limit, but I am inclined to think that they are just as good as the expensive exotic or hyped up tubes.

 

Anybody out there who can give me an opinion on tube damper rings?

post #5110 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post

Anybody out there who can give me an opinion on tube damper rings?

Available in 298 sizes around $8 per 100, pick your size and go!

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-O-Ring-70A-Durometer-Red/dp/B003SLE5LS

post #5111 of 7532

Hi TD,

 

A little reading seems to say that these rings help for tubes that rattle. So far, I never came across a tube that rattles. (Well, one of my octals had a loose piece inside but since it does not seem to affect the sound, and since I cannot hear it rattling when playing music, I ignored it.)

 

 

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

 

Seems to be some kind of consensus that Herbie's dampers work. At a cost of $29 each I am not inclined to try them yet.

 

There is a 90 day no risk trial - your money back if not satisfied. Hmm....


Edited by mordy - 2/22/14 at 7:34pm
post #5112 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Hi TD,

 

A little reading seems to say that these rings help for tubes that rattle. So far, I never came across a tube that rattles. (Well, one of my octals had a loose piece inside but since it does not seem to affect the sound, and since I cannot hear it rattling when playing music, I ignored it.)

 

 

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

 

Seems to be some kind of consensus that Herbie's dampers work. At a cost of $29 each I am not inclined to try them yet.

 

There is a 90 day no risk trial - your money back if not satisfied. Hmm....

 

If you have a tube that is susceptible to microphonics then they might solve the issue, most people just change the tube...

And at $30 a pop, they are a nice bit of tube jewelery...

 

 

And then you read stuff like this from his site...

:rolleyes:

Quote:
PTFE-coated silicone O-rings fare better. These industrial seals, available from McMaster-Carr and other hardware suppliers, tend to improve the sound of tubes suffering particularly from microphonics or tube rattle, adding only a slight frequency coloration. Some users have reported satisfactory results with these. With some tubes, however, they induce a bloopy, muddied bass and/or high-frequency loss and/or upper-mid harshness. Because PTFE softens and elongates with higher temperature, results can be unpredictable when in direct contact with the radiant heat of tube glass.
post #5113 of 7532

Hi TD,

 

Just what I thought, bloopy snake oil....

post #5114 of 7532

Hi,

 

Listening to a RCA 6SN7 tube from 1967 that sounds great.

I have two such tubes from 1965 and 1967 in my 260 stash. One is pictured above; the other one says RCA but lacks the 6SN7 designation on the tube. Both have clear tops with that funny little wire on top.

The getter is in the bottom of the tube. I assume that the getter flash is there also, but it must be covered by the bakelite base because I cannot see it. Another interesting construction detail is that all the wires internally have been brought into one vertical plane and encased in some kind of glass.

 

 

 

Can't remember reading about these tubes as great sounding tubes, but they really sound delicious. The sound stage is remarkable - wide, holographic. Does anybody have experience with these tubes?

post #5115 of 7532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

In my opinion, the only benefit is sometimes the 12V and 25V tubes are cheaper. Otherwise, there is no difference. For example, a gray-glass 6SNGT RCA sounds exactly the same as the 12V and 25V versions.

THANK YOU!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide