Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 34

post #496 of 5868

Hey John, do you know how to make a difference between them by looking?

 

Quote:

Many Russian 6n6p tubes use copper posts for the grid wires which may look like gold wires but are steel alloy. The Sovtek 6H30 tube that I was testing also uses steel alloy grid wires. See post #36

 

Edited by hallom - 11/24/12 at 4:23am
post #497 of 5868

Once you have the real gold wire tube you can learn to spot the differences using a LED flashlight at the right angle.

post #498 of 5868

hmmm, thanks!

post #499 of 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by donluca View Post

I have them, but only the ones from the 80s (1987).

I still have to try them because I want to finish the burn in process of my voskhods from the '73

 

 

Hey donluca, can I ask your experience about the gold/platinum Voskhods vs the normal ones?

post #500 of 5868

Dear A11,

 

Have you been able to decipher the markings on your CV4015 tube? Manufacturing date, factory etc?
 

post #501 of 5868

Hi Hallom,

 

I do have both the regular and gold grid Voskhods. My impression was that the gold grid ones were a little more mellow and not as much forward sounding as the regular ones. Similar, but personally I preferred the gold grid ones.
 

post #502 of 5868

Dear Mordy, the CV4015 label says: 000-4015, CV4015, KQDD/K, 80-49.

80-49 is probably week 49 from 1980.

 

Coming from EF92-tubes to EF91 - has anyone else tried CV4014 tubes and has particular EF92 or EF91 favourites?

 

I just tried the CV4014. For all the ones fancy trying non-EF95 combinations: CV1404 (EF91) is a higher gain tube and very nice in terms of resolution and treble agility. Hence, 6N6P-IR is a good calming complement, although 6N6P and 6N6P-I are fine too (depending on system matching, personal preference etc.).


Edited by Acapella11 - 11/25/12 at 2:07pm
post #503 of 5868
post #504 of 5868

Hello all, question here.

 

Does someone have any experience with M8100 tubes made by RTC in France?

 

I'm looking at an interesting auction but the seller, while very responsive, would understandably not like to make any comments on their quality in comparison to the regular military Mullard ones.

 

So, anyone?

post #505 of 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana Woman View Post

Does someone have any experience with M8100 tubes made by RTC in France?

 

M8100 was a Mullard type. By definition a true M8100 could only have come from a Mullard factory.

 

Are you asking about an equivalent tube made by RTC or about an RTC-labelled tube made by Mullard?

post #506 of 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari View Post

 

M8100 was a Mullard type. By definition a true M8100 could only have come from a Mullard factory.

 

Are you asking about an equivalent tube made by RTC or about an RTC-labelled tube made by Mullard?

I guess it would be a m8100 equivalent made by RTC. As I understand it, both are part of Philips group. Mullard made M8100 in UK and RTC made equivalents in France. I just don't know if they are truly an equivalent in the sense of them sounding alike.


Edited by Nirvana Woman - 11/26/12 at 10:18pm
post #507 of 5868

Unlikely to sound exactly the same, but I don't know this as a fact. There is something about RTCs on pages 131 and 134 in the Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling thread.

post #508 of 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari View Post

Unlikely to sound exactly the same, but I don't know this as a fact. There is something about RTCs on pages 131 and 134 in the Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling thread.


Thanks for the lead :)

 

post #509 of 5868

Hi all,

 

I bought a used MKIII about a month ago.  I love it.  Right now using Sylvania JAN 5654's which sound great.  I'm actually using Panasonic HTF 600-S headphones which is why I'm chiming in. They sound really fantastic with this amp.  I originally had the gain switches set to 4, I believe. But now I have both switches to I believe it's 'on' which would be 3.  The sound stage narrowed a bit for some reason, but the clarity may have increased.  Anyway, I A/B'ed these headphones on this amp against Grado's SR60i's and the Panasonic had so much more depth it was unreal. The top end of the Grado's sounded harsh.  Anyhow, not a headphone review.  Meant to just say how fantastic this amp sounds.

 

I'm also using this amp as a preamp with playing vinyl.  The new Beatles remastered vinyl sounds unreal and with this amp it's truly amazing.  For anyone lurking (as I once did) that wants to know how to use this with a turntable it's simply Turntable to phono stage to Little Dot to receiver input.  I get absolutely no hum or other issues with this chain.  I'm using a 5.1 surround Yamaha receiver and since it doesn't have a Phono input I'm just using a AUX input (hence the phono stage in my chain before the Little Dot entered the situation; but the Little Dot needs that phono stage as well).

 

I have a set of 6J1P-EV's coming this week hopefully. Excited to try those out with the Little Dot!  I bought from this exact auction:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130436695928?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

post #510 of 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefreywith1f View Post

Hi all,

 

I bought a used MKIII about a month ago.  I love it.  Right now using Sylvania JAN 5654's which sound great.  I'm actually using Panasonic HTF 600-S headphones which is why I'm chiming in. They sound really fantastic with this amp.  I originally had the gain switches set to 4, I believe. But now I have both switches to I believe it's 'on' which would be 3.  The sound stage narrowed a bit for some reason, but the clarity may have increased.  Anyway, I A/B'ed these headphones on this amp against Grado's SR60i's and the Panasonic had so much more depth it was unreal. The top end of the Grado's sounded harsh.  Anyhow, not a headphone review.  Meant to just say how fantastic this amp sounds.

 

I'm also using this amp as a preamp with playing vinyl.  The new Beatles remastered vinyl sounds unreal and with this amp it's truly amazing.  For anyone lurking (as I once did) that wants to know how to use this with a turntable it's simply Turntable to phono stage to Little Dot to receiver input.  I get absolutely no hum or other issues with this chain.  I'm using a 5.1 surround Yamaha receiver and since it doesn't have a Phono input I'm just using a AUX input (hence the phono stage in my chain before the Little Dot entered the situation; but the Little Dot needs that phono stage as well).

 

I have a set of 6J1P-EV's coming this week hopefully. Excited to try those out with the Little Dot!  I bought from this exact auction:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130436695928?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

 

Very nice price on those voshkods! :) Perhaps you should order multiple sets, seeing as how you're going to be paying four times the price of one set for shipping alone :P

 

edit: - nevermind, you've already ordered :)


Edited by Nirvana Woman - 11/28/12 at 12:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide