- 123 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- hd 650 and Little Dot MKIII Last post on 9/25/11 at 9:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- how good does the "little dot mk3" perform? Last post on 6/12/12 at 1:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK III slight channel imbalance Last post on 9/7/11 at 9:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK III vs combo Fiio E7/E9 for Sennheiser HD650, Which is the best? Ideas? Last post on 9/5/11 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed cans for a Sennheiser HD 600/650 fan Last post on 10/29/11 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
Absolutely beautiful little player. It's just a gorgeous chunk of tech that feels good to hold. For me personally tech has to have form as well as function and the AK120 doesn't disappoint on...
- Headphone Impedance
Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 25
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Give it at least 20-50 but more importantly, don't wait and enjoy it in the meantime, when it gets there it gets there. I enjoy tubes right out of the box and love hearing the slight changes as they progress, but don't lose time waiting to get there...
Am using the stock Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold tubes that came with my Mk IV SE. Seems like it should be the best value option around so i don't think i'm gonna roll that to the DR tubes.
Great you like them and thanks. For the burn in, HeatFan12 answered that one already, only Voskhod 6J1P-EV can take up to 120 hours.
For the JAN5654Ws I did not think it took overly long. 20 to 30 hours it was, I'd say.
Sorry, I did not read your sig properly (MK IV SE). The 6H30Pi Gold tubes have been reported to be an excellent choice, better than 6N6P or 6N6P-I, only haven't heard them yet. Ordered a pair of 6H30Pi-EVs, which I am still waiting for. The intention of my question was directed towards choosing between 6N6P and 6N6P-I, just to close the case.
Edited by Acapella11 - 7/10/12 at 4:28pm
actually i found these two....6zhip - ev pair darkvoiceamp 332 332 ....and 6zhip -ev 6ak5 6j1 yaqin buffer
Edited by hwy61 - 7/14/12 at 3:11am
what you want is called 6J1P-EV or 6Zh1P-EV or 6Sh1P-EV. It is all derived from the same Russian name. Try ebay as well and recomended are those from the 1970s. I had 1971 and 1975 and found 1975 better.
Edited by Acapella11 - 7/14/12 at 4:13pm
thanks for the response Acapella11,......it turns out when i googled the tube number, i put 6zhip instead of 6zh1p....duh!.........i ended up buying voshod 6zh1p ev (matched pair) 1980's......and also ended up getting the russian 6n6p gold grid (matched pair)1990's.....the date wasn't shown on the sale and by the time i inquired
the sale already went thru on ebay........i sent an e-mail to the buyer hoping to trade for the otk rhombus 5 gold grid version 1980's.....but haven't heard back from him yet
and pay the extra cost ......haste makes waste i reckon
didn't see any from the 70's
Edited by hwy61 - 7/14/12 at 6:07pm
update to the post above......the e-bay seller orpheus _2005 agreed to do the exchange for rhombus 5 gold grids
i thought i knew what i needed after reading the first few pages of this thread..(that's when i did the buying)......well ... it turns out you really need to read all these post to be more informed, with the mutitude of variations available your mind begins to bend.......
big thanks to all , for the informative post
Respective the 6N6P-I power tubes, I have done a little more comparison with 6N6P tubes (gold grid) and it comes out that treble seems more extended as well as bass is rumblier. Treble is does not sound as edgy with 6N6P-I though. On the other hand, the stage is deeper with 6N6P, reverbs are more pronounced. 6N6P-I noticeably decrease the stage depth but make the sound "rounder".
Technically, I found that that 6N6P-I tubes use 900 mA compared to 750 mA for 6N6P tubes. This is caused by changes of mechanical distances within the tube.
Additionally, there is 68 ohm additional resistance in the cathode circuit for 6N6P-I. (Here are the details: http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6n6p.html)
I would say say it, at least partially, sounds like the 6N6P-Is drive the AKG Q701 headphones better. Could the 6N6P-I power tubes compensate the relatively low impedance (64 ohm) of the Q701s to higher current in the output transformerless (OTL) amplification of the LD MKIII?
PS: Also, I found that +5 db gain gives a punchier sound than +4 db in this setup.
Edited by Acapella11 - 7/15/12 at 2:54pm
- Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 33 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 50 seconds ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 59 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 3 minutes ago
- › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) incoming... 3 minutes ago
- › I have stopped using headphones, switched to Speakers and Sub-woofer. 3 minutes ago
- › A serious question regarding Beyers DT770 fix 4 minutes ago
- › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe