or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 217

post #3241 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos1 View Post
 

They are still, however, a very nicely-made tube and I look forward to hearing more opinions on them. As for myself, early impressions surprised me somewhat, as the sound was quite different to the RCA 6DT6As, and after 20+hrs I still can't decide whether I prefer them or not. I think it could well be down to the extra soundstage/'3D' effect plus more detail. But at the moment I am wondering if this is at the expense of a certain degree of focus and coherence...Vocals appear a bit further in the distance, and to get the same hard-hitting bass requires more volume, which is not so good for my ears! Everything is so wonderfully 'clean' and clear, however, that I pray further burn-in will resolve such matters...Or that I simply need to get used to the different sound!

 

Whatever, I do hope more of you get the chance to try out these tubes and post your findings.

 

BTW - setting is EF95, no strap (don't know if any other is possible/adviseable...)

 

I think your understanding of what you are hearing makes intuitive sense. In a more 2D stage, everything is focused very tightly, right up against your face, so to speak. But in a more 3D sound stage, there is more space between the instruments, especially front to back, and therefore, some vocals and instruments do seem to be further away.

 

And yes, the setting is EF95. No other settings are possible or advisable.

 

And these EI tubes do look very similar to my Blackburn tubes, so it would seem very likely that they were manufactured in Yugoslavia using ex-Philips factory equipment. And perhaps they sound similar too.

 

post #3242 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

But what if the wallet is empty to start with? frown.gif
What Do... What Do? biggrin.gif

 

My situation exactly! Especially now that I am seriously looking at 6DJ8 / ECC88!!  (>_<)

post #3243 of 10500
Speaking of eBay crazies...

Here is a nice 10 lot of EC88's... eek.gif

www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-6DJ8-6922-E88CC-Double-Triode-Tubes-Lot-of-10-NEW-NOS-/321177692622
biggrin.gif
post #3244 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Speaking of eBay crazies...

Here is a nice 10 lot of EC88's... eek.gif

www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-6DJ8-6922-E88CC-Double-Triode-Tubes-Lot-of-10-NEW-NOS-/321177692622
biggrin.gif

 

 

Is this guy high?  Jeez...

post #3245 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Maybe use the stuff on the left of this wallet? No, no, don't max out any credit cards. Just a strange observation: In the tube world less money buys you the same tube that is up to 20 times more from another seller. Would be great just to point to anything at Yen Audio and say: I'll take a dozen! Personally, I just can't do it....

 

 

empty-wallet-sad-face1.jpg

Here is an example:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-6AV6-Electronic-Vacuum-Tube-Lot-of-2-/160534029223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256092e3a7

 

and another example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2-Pair-GE-6AV6-NOS-NIB-Tubes-/290988243927?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43c0403bd7

 

 

 

This is one reason why I like those Soviet tubes... I got two lots of 10 each of Reflektors and Svetlanas for $30.  Lots of tubes for next to no money, and while they don't necessarily sound spectacular, they are at least nicely balanced.

post #3246 of 10500

 

I think that there is a mistake here: The tubes are $10, and the shipping is $4500.

 

 

In case u can't afford it, try this lot:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USSR-6N23P-6DJ8-6922-E-88CC-6N11-DOUBLE-TRIODE-LITTLE-USED-QTY-4pcs-/221285573530?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3385a5e39a

 

The price is $12 and shipping 550 cents. Although the picture shows 6 tubes, the lot consists of four.

 

I am worried that these tubes emit something that affects the brain function.....

post #3247 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

 

I think that there is a mistake here: The tubes are $10, and the shipping is $4500.

 

 

In case u can't afford it, try this lot:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USSR-6N23P-6DJ8-6922-E-88CC-6N11-DOUBLE-TRIODE-LITTLE-USED-QTY-4pcs-/221285573530?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3385a5e39a

 

The price is $12 and shipping 550 cents. Although the picture shows 6 tubes, the lot consists of four.

 

I am worried that these tubes emit something that affects the brain function....

Propaganda pure propaganda !

post #3248 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Oddly enough section:

 

For the man who has everything: Here is a USB plug in vacuum tube look adapter that does the following:

  • Connects to your Computer's USB 2.0 Port and Delivers Virtual Surround Sound through your Stereo Headphones or Stereo speakers
  • LFE Mixing ? Enables Low-End Frequencies to be Mixed with Front Channels for Superior Performance
  • DTS Surround Sensation Headphone Simulates Surround Sound through Headphones with Voice Clarification Technology; Bass Enhancement; and Soundstage Expansion
  • Provides Two 3.5mm Jacks for Stereo Microphone-In and Stereo Microphone-Out

 

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Theater-Sound-Xperience-GUADT51/dp/B0058DN0C4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380686643&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=6HM5+Vacuum+Tube

The main use seems to be as a substitute for a broken sound card in a lap top.31Z6XYm8AbL.jpg

 

Hey mordy for the chic tube rolling dude a nice tie clasp. you can also write with it and use it as a screw driver.Who says you cant tube roll and look good at the same time ! Sold!!!!!!!!!

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b

post #3249 of 10500

I think you forgot the blinking LED lights....

post #3250 of 10500

There seems to be a bit of a single channel hum when connecting the Ultrasone HFI-780's @ 35Ω to the LD, so I made a 150Ω attenuator plug to connect up the 'Sones.

Two 150Ω resistors in series with the L+ & R+ signals raises the load on then amp and gets rid of the hum if any of you are experiencing it as well with low Z cans or IEM's

 

The shells were created with a piece of dowel that was drilled, cut off and then a little Dremel application.

The 4 wire braid that was already made up otherwise it should have had a cotton or paracord sleeve, but there wasn't any in the build box.

 

The Attenuator

 

Connected


I also changed the LED to amber when I had it apart, the Blue was just a little too intense.

 

They also make a commercial metal version from 15Ω to 300Ω sold on eBay for those that don't want to DIY.

:beerchug:

post #3251 of 10500

Well a very nice care package was picked up at the post office this morning.

 

Inside were a pair of Haltron 6CS6's Made in Japan that I had looked at on eBay but were sold by the time I scraped up some cash for them...

But low and behold hitchhiking along for the ride was a pair of Ruskies!
The 6А2П from the Oktyabr' Factory in Vinnica Ukraine, what a generous bonus to find. 

 

 

It will be good to hear something other than GE tubes as that's all I seem to have collected right now...

 

I will put the 6А2П's in first and fire up some балала́йка music, that way these comrade's can have a nice visit with the electro-harmonic 6H30Pi-EH power tubes and reminisce of life in old country. :D


So a BIG Merci à mon très cher ami goes out to our tube roller in La Belle Province!

Very much appreciated.
:beerchug:

post #3252 of 10500
I must be crazy, but i ordered 17 different type tubes from electols.com. It is going to take some time to get throught those...
post #3253 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsi View Post

I must be crazy, but i ordered 17 different type tubes from electols.com. It is going to take some time to get throught those...

 

Welcome to the Crazy train my friend .

post #3254 of 10500
I asked kindly from my wife, that what if i order some tubes. And she said go for it. Her hobbies are still more expensive.
post #3255 of 10500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

There seems to be a bit of a single channel hum when connecting the Ultrasone HFI-780's @ 35Ω to the LD, so I made a 150Ω attenuator plug to connect up the 'Sones.

Two 150Ω resistors in series with the L+ & R+ signals raises the load on then amp and gets rid of the hum if any of you are experiencing it as well with low Z cans or IEM's

 

The shells were created with a piece of dowel that was drilled, cut off and then a little Dremel application.

The 4 wire braid that was already made up otherwise it should have had a cotton or paracord sleeve, but there wasn't any in the build box.

 

The Attenuator

 

Connected


I also changed the LED to amber when I had it apart, the Blue was just a little too intense.

 

They also make a commercial metal version from 15Ω to 300Ω sold on eBay for those that don't want to DIY.

:beerchug:

 

Nice job! I was looking for something like that, didn't have any hum with my HFI-780's or Pro900's though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide