or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 211

post #3151 of 10501

Hi Trolldragon,

 

I wanted to compliment you on the very neat switch installation you did. Here is a suggestion that I learned from one of my kids:

 

You do not have any labels for the new switches, which would complete the set up IMHO.  You can use any typing program where you  type out the labels in big letters, and then you minimize them to get the legibility and size to use. Perhaps you could tape on labels, or use adhesive labels, but they can be made very neat this way.

 

Wish I had the know how and tools to install such switches, but I don't....

post #3152 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy View Post
 

Hi Trolldragon,

 

I wanted to compliment you on the very neat switch installation you did. Here is a suggestion that I learned from one of my kids:

 

You do not have any labels for the new switches, which would complete the set up IMHO.  You can use any typing program where you  type out the labels in big letters, and then you minimize them to get the legibility and size to use. Perhaps you could tape on labels, or use adhesive labels, but they can be made very neat this way.

 

Wish I had the know how and tools to install such switches, but I don't....

Thanks mordy!

 

I was thinking about picking up a Dymo label maker and some White on Clear tape for it till I saw the price of such... :eek: It would not get enough use to justify the purchase.

 

So I'll print out some white letters on a black background with the laser printer.

:beerchug:

post #3153 of 10501

My first post to this great forum. I could share some impressions about tubes with you fellow Little Dot users.

 

I currently have following driver tubes: 6K4P -84, 6J3P -84/82, Tungsram 6BE6, GE 6AU6A -70, 6J1P 1991 groove, 6J1P -71, GE JAN 5654 -69, 6J1 -80/77, 6J5P -89.

 

6K4P are easily my worst tubes. New from the box these sounded horrifying. Bass was so boomy and otherwise sound was a mess. After some burn-in sound has come way better, but i still don't recommend these for any serious listening. Bass stays little muddy and instrument separation is bad. These need about 40% more volume to sound same db level as others.

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y74R.jpg

 

6J1P -71 are great for everyday listening. Just a little bit smooth russian sound, but clean and good soundstage. Can't say anything bad about these. Far better than those newer grooved models, that sound little cold with some sort of spike in treble and keep humming noise when hand near. 

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y7Zj.jpg

 

6J5P -89 are my best tubes so far. Can't find any flaws. Very analytic and clear sound with great soundstage. Good separation for instruments. When i heard these first time, they made some wow-effect. Can't say that does burning in have made any difference to sound.

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y7Zk.jpg

 

These impressions are with LD MK II and 6N6P-i -86 powertubes. Hope i get ordered 6N6P-IR -83 tubes soon from Russia.

 

Sorry about my bad english...

post #3154 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing this up close:

 

Bent pins 1, 2, 3 and 9 with needle-nose pliers:

 

And then inserted into an adapter, starting with inserting pin 8 into adapter pin-hole 7....

 

Next, will disassemble the adapter and reroute pin 6 to pin 1 (to connect the grid) and pin 7 to pin 2 (to connect the cathode). And then I will make a simple wiring harness to connect the second triode, (bent tube pins 1, 2 and 3 corresponding to the plate, grid and cathode), to socket pin-holes 1 (grid), 2 (cathode) and 5 (plate) in the other socket. And just to be complete, I might try to connect bent pin 9 to a chassis ground.

 

Nice work gibosi! And thanks for taking the time to describe the procedure with pictures (it definitely saves me the time to do it lol).

 

Looking forward to impressions, for single channeled and dual channeled. I just haven't had the enough time to spend with these new tubes to give actual feedback...

post #3155 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsi View Post
 

My first post to this great forum. I could share some impressions about tubes with you fellow Little Dot users.

 

6K4P are easily my worst tubes. New from the box these sounded horrifying. Bass was so boomy and otherwise sound was a mess. After some burn-in sound has come way better, but i still don't recommend these for any serious listening. Bass stays little muddy and instrument separation is bad. These need about 40% more volume to sound same db level as others.

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y74R.jpg

 

 

6K4P -89 are my best tubes so far. Can't find any flaws. Very analytic and clear sound with great soundstage. Good separation for instruments. When i heard these first time, they made some wow-effect. Can't say that does burning in have made any difference to sound.

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y7Zk.jpg

 

These impressions are with LD MK II and 6N6P-i -86 powertubes. Hope i get ordered 6N6P-IR -83 tubes soon from Russia.

 

Sorry about my bad english...

 

Welcome! And your English seems very fine to me. :)

 

I too tried the 6K4P, which is the Soviet equivalent to the 6AU6, and like you, found them to be a waste of money. :(

 

But I have not tried the 6K4P, which is the equivalent to the 6AH6. However, many of us have found the Tung Sol 6AH6, especially the Tung Sol 6AH6W and 6485 to be a top-tier tube. I would be very interested to learn how the 6K4P compares.

post #3156 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofanboy View Post
 

Looking forward to impressions, for single channeled and dual channeled. I just haven't had the enough time to spend with these new tubes to give actual feedback...

 

I am currently running the Blackburn in one socket and the Heerlen in the other as I haven't made a wiring harness yet. But even though they are mismatched and I haven't had them installed for all that long, I am really liking what I am hearing. (But this may be somewhat due to the huge relief I am feeling that I actually got them working! lol :)

 

Anyway I stopped off at an electronics supply store yesterday and picked up a few bits and pieces and hope to find time to make a wiring harness in the next day or two....

post #3157 of 10501

As i said i ordered my sockets and also got some RCA 6BQ7A on the way read about the procedure to do this and i am really not shure about this so i am going to bug you guys on this until i understand what to do because some of the terminology i dont understand  one thing regarding the pins not all the same pins are used in the 2 tubes and regarding the ground is this still at an experimental stage anyways i am in no hurry to do this i will see how the sockets are made and how the interior of them are made its always easier when you see. Thats going to be fun but hopefully  whihout explosions or radiation leaks getting ahead of myself a bit! my wife always tells me that i have alot of imagination.!  

post #3158 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

I am currently running the Blackburn in one socket and the Heerlen in the other as I haven't made a wiring harness yet. But even though they are mismatched and I haven't had them installed for all that long, I am really liking what I am hearing. (But this may be somewhat due to the huge relief I am feeling that I actually got them working! lol :)

 

Anyway I stopped off at an electronics supply store yesterday and picked up a few bits and pieces and hope to find time to make a wiring harness in the next day or two....

 

I actually just received some nice looking ceramic 9-pin sockets (two pairs), that should allow me to experiment some more, probably more with 12AT7 and 12AX7 tubes -when I get a chance to buy some.

 

I might also try and wire a pair for running 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes in parallel; but first I need to figure out how I'm even going to wire the sockets to the adapters... Soldering 9 small wires to each socket just doesn't sound fun...

post #3159 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

As i said i ordered my sockets and also got some RCA 6BQ7A on the way read about the procedure to do this and i am really not shure about this so i am going to bug you guys on this until i understand what to do because some of the terminology i dont understand  one thing regarding the pins not all the same pins are used in the 2 tubes and regarding the ground is this still at an experimental stage anyways i am in no hurry to do this i will see how the sockets are made and how the interior of them are made its always easier when you see. Thats going to be fun but hopefully  whihout explosions or radiation leaks getting ahead of myself a bit! my wife always tells me that i have alot of imagination.!  

 

I have two kinds of adapters. The pictured adapter is a little cheaper and simpler, but otherwise, they are essentially the same. There is a long machine screw that extends from top of the adapter and secured with a small nut in the bottom, between the pins. So you simply take it apart.... 

 

 

This particular adapter is setup for 2-7 pentodes. I used 30 gauge wrapping wire, wrapped and soldered around pins 7 and 2. For these dual triodes, you would need to add another piece of wire to connect pins 6 and 1. Also, for dual triodes, I simply cut pins 6 and 7 short so they do not extend through the bottom of the adapter and into the socket.

 

Oh, and make sure there is some slack in the wire as it crosses over the hole for the machine screw. On one adapter, the wire was a bit too tight, and when I tried to insert the machine screw, I broke the wire.... (>_<)

 


Edited by gibosi - 9/29/13 at 9:35am
post #3160 of 10501

Here you go mordy!

 

Hopefully it takes away from that unfinished look, the label paper was very old and didn't print too well. I'll need to print the letters on Mylar or something...

 

LD MK IV Switch Labels... (Click to show)

:beerchug:

post #3161 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

Here you go mordy!

 

Hopefully it takes away from that unfinished look, the label paper was very old and didn't print too well. I'll need to print the letters on Mylar or something...

 

LD MK IV Switch Labels... (Click to show)

:beerchug:

Looks great.

post #3162 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

 

I have two kinds of adapters. The pictured adapter is a little cheaper and simpler, but otherwise, they are essentially the same. There is a long machine screw that extends from top of the adapter and secured with a small nut in the bottom, between the pins. So you simply take it apart.... 

 

 

This particular adapter is setup for 2-7 pentodes. I used 30 gauge wrapping wire, wrapped and soldered around pins 7 and 2. For these dual triodes, you would need to add another piece of wire to connect pins 6 and 1. Also, for dual triodes, I simply cut pins 6 and 7 short so they do not extend through the bottom of the adapter and into the socket.

 

Oh, and make sure there is some slack in the wire as it crosses over the hole for the machine screw. On one adapter, the wire was a bit too tight, and when I tried to insert the machine screw, I broke the wire.... (>_<)

 

Thanks gibosi for the nice pictures and explanations will print those pages and save them

post #3163 of 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

Thanks gibosi for the nice pictures and explanations will print those pages and save them

 

Up and running in the LD 1+. Except for the fact that they lean - with the bent pins, I can't get them straight - they don't look too bad.... 

 

post #3164 of 10501

Hi G,

 

You know what they say - "Out of sight, out of mind" - time for a tube cage.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcK8ULf4erZseIRMDNNX1rPx6MpG80QWaj3ijc-Kzbwd7JdrBd Or, how about using that old bird cage?

 

faraday-cage-with-bolt-of-electricity.jpg

post #3165 of 10501

Mikelap, Trolldragon,

 

Those labels just look great!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide