I'm searching through pages and pages trying to find the best headphones for me. Im upgrading from Sony MDR V150's and am searching within a budget of £70. I mainly listen to rock music but also a bit of drum and bass and electronic. The most appealing thing for me about the XB500's are their comfort so I could listen to them for hours but I am worrying that the extra bass could overpower the music. I've also looked at the V6's and they look great but the only UK seller of them is a retailer on amazon and I know someone who brought from them and they were fakes. Another option I have looked at is Bose Around Ears for £75 Any Opinions on the XB500's or Bose Around Ears ? Any suggestions for other headphones? Thanks in advance for the help :)
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones with Reversible Earcupstagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Help!!!! Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone recommendations please Last post on 7/5/12 at 10:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones... Last post on 10/23/12 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
Headphones for Rock???????post #1 of 177/22/11 at 12:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 177/22/11 at 12:35pmpost #3 of 177/22/11 at 1:22pmThread Starterpost #4 of 177/22/11 at 1:44pmpost #5 of 177/22/11 at 1:45pmpost #6 of 177/22/11 at 1:51pmThread Starterpost #7 of 177/22/11 at 1:53pm
Echoing the Grado recommendations, and I'll throw the Alessandro MS1 (Music Series One) in as well. It's $99, and the Alessandro has the advantage of being purchasable brand new outside the US, while Grado straight up forbids sales outside the us (last time I checked anyways). Going off the symbol next to your budget I'm guessing this would be apply to you.post #8 of 177/22/11 at 1:58pmThread Starterpost #9 of 177/22/11 at 2:17pmThread Starterpost #10 of 177/22/11 at 2:40pm
Audio Technica M50's are a great all-rounder from the research i've done, never heard them myself but they're held in very high regard around here, should look for a used pair on ebay to suit your budget, retail for about £120 on Amazon.post #11 of 177/22/11 at 4:46pmQuote:
The SR60i goes for $80 over here. Surprised to see that they're on the UK site. Could have sworn that Grado only allowed them to be sold in the US. At that price I couldn't recommend them. The bang for buck factor is completely gone at that price. As for durability, they're pretty solid. Maybe not as much for portable use, but for home use I've had my MS-2i for several years now and they're as good as the day I got them. May need some new earpads in a couple of years but that's it.
I'd say it's still worth checking the shipping rates that Alessandro offers. Going off what I've heard (haven't personally listened to the lower end Grados) they should be somewhere between the SR80 and the SR125 in performance. The current exchange rate should make them within your budget before shipping, and for rock they're quite nice. Nice punchy bass and they do electric guitars oh so well. Zero sound isolation (both in and out), and they're not a basshead can of course, but for rock and metal they do the job quite nicely. There's reviews floating around here that do a much better job than I at describing their sound.post #12 of 177/22/11 at 5:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by lish14
The most appealing thing for me about the XB500's are their comfort so I could listen to them for hours but I am worrying that the extra bass could overpower the music. I've also looked at the V6's and they look great but the only UK seller of them is a retailer on amazon and I know someone who brought from them and they were fakes.
The extra bass isn't that bad, I found it quite decent, it's not huge, it doesn't really overshadow the mids, they truly are very comfortable headphones! Like pillows on your head.
Yes there's a few V6 fakes around, and I didn't find them to be very special headphones, nothing really stands out, so I haven't used them much.
I'd recommend the ZX700 instead, very cheap headphone considering it's using liquid crystal drivers.post #13 of 177/22/11 at 5:09pm
btw you should check out Fostex T50RP as well.
I haven't heard that model yet, but it's very popular and considered the best ever for the price, and the other Fostex headphones I've heard were very good for rock!post #14 of 177/22/11 at 5:09pmpost #15 of 177/22/11 at 5:38pm
Yes, we do actually have Grados here in the UK. It'd be a sad state of affairs if we didn't. They are quite expensive over here, but it's not quite as bad as it looks - all of our prices include all tax, whereas I believe in the states, the prices are quoted before tax is added. They still work out more expensive here though. The Fostex T50rp is so expensive in the UK compared to the USA, I don't think it's even worth looking into - I checked myself once, and the best I could find is £115 at Digital Village (a store I personally despise). Even if the headphone sounds good enough to be worth that much, you'll have to live with knowing you paid twice as much for it just because you live in the UK. If that's not racism, I don't know what is.
Perhaps the Alessandro is one to consider. I've not heard one myself, but I believe it's based on the SR-125i from Grado, which I owned, and found to be great for rock music as others have stated.
- Headphones for Rock???????
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 52 seconds ago
- › IEMs & Headphones Inventory Clear Out !!! Prices Slashed !! VMODA... 1 minute ago
- › Best set of cans under $150? 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S3 Cellphone (Virgin Mobile) + Otterbox 2 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 4 minutes ago
- › First post and looking for advice 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)