I'm searching through pages and pages trying to find the best headphones for me. Im upgrading from Sony MDR V150's and am searching within a budget of £70. I mainly listen to rock music but also a bit of drum and bass and electronic. The most appealing thing for me about the XB500's are their comfort so I could listen to them for hours but I am worrying that the extra bass could overpower the music. I've also looked at the V6's and they look great but the only UK seller of them is a retailer on amazon and I know someone who brought from them and they were fakes. Another option I have looked at is Bose Around Ears for £75 Any Opinions on the XB500's or Bose Around Ears ? Any suggestions for other headphones? Thanks in advance for the help :)
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones with Reversible Earcupstagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Help!!!! Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone recommendations please Last post on 7/5/12 at 10:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones... Last post on 10/23/12 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a review of the Advanced AcousticWerkes Nebula 2 IEM’s. The Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Nebula 2 was sent to me from MusicTeck who is the authorized dealer in the US for AWW. A big...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Brainwavz being based in Hongkong is quite known for its well set-up line of Accessories and IEMs. Back in the day, I was fairly active in modding my still beloved...
On my quest for the perfect sounding IEM for mobile use I came across these headphones that are rather underrepresented in the forum. The Panasonic RP-HDE10 are technically quite interesting...
I bought the SMSL sApII as a stop-gap after my Little Dot MKIII failed after 5 years of use, five hours a day. No complaints there! I just don't have the money to upgrade just now! I have invested...
Introduction: Lend Me UR ears, based in Singapore is an online and physical store that opened in December 2011 with a goal to “bring quality audio products to the masses and providing good...
Headphones for Rock???????post #1 of 177/22/11 at 12:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 177/22/11 at 12:35pmpost #3 of 177/22/11 at 1:22pmThread Starterpost #4 of 177/22/11 at 1:44pmpost #5 of 177/22/11 at 1:45pmpost #6 of 177/22/11 at 1:51pmThread Starterpost #7 of 177/22/11 at 1:53pm
Echoing the Grado recommendations, and I'll throw the Alessandro MS1 (Music Series One) in as well. It's $99, and the Alessandro has the advantage of being purchasable brand new outside the US, while Grado straight up forbids sales outside the us (last time I checked anyways). Going off the symbol next to your budget I'm guessing this would be apply to you.post #8 of 177/22/11 at 1:58pmThread Starterpost #9 of 177/22/11 at 2:17pmThread Starterpost #10 of 177/22/11 at 2:40pm
Audio Technica M50's are a great all-rounder from the research i've done, never heard them myself but they're held in very high regard around here, should look for a used pair on ebay to suit your budget, retail for about £120 on Amazon.post #11 of 177/22/11 at 4:46pmQuote:
The SR60i goes for $80 over here. Surprised to see that they're on the UK site. Could have sworn that Grado only allowed them to be sold in the US. At that price I couldn't recommend them. The bang for buck factor is completely gone at that price. As for durability, they're pretty solid. Maybe not as much for portable use, but for home use I've had my MS-2i for several years now and they're as good as the day I got them. May need some new earpads in a couple of years but that's it.
I'd say it's still worth checking the shipping rates that Alessandro offers. Going off what I've heard (haven't personally listened to the lower end Grados) they should be somewhere between the SR80 and the SR125 in performance. The current exchange rate should make them within your budget before shipping, and for rock they're quite nice. Nice punchy bass and they do electric guitars oh so well. Zero sound isolation (both in and out), and they're not a basshead can of course, but for rock and metal they do the job quite nicely. There's reviews floating around here that do a much better job than I at describing their sound.post #12 of 177/22/11 at 5:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by lish14
The most appealing thing for me about the XB500's are their comfort so I could listen to them for hours but I am worrying that the extra bass could overpower the music. I've also looked at the V6's and they look great but the only UK seller of them is a retailer on amazon and I know someone who brought from them and they were fakes.
The extra bass isn't that bad, I found it quite decent, it's not huge, it doesn't really overshadow the mids, they truly are very comfortable headphones! Like pillows on your head.
Yes there's a few V6 fakes around, and I didn't find them to be very special headphones, nothing really stands out, so I haven't used them much.
I'd recommend the ZX700 instead, very cheap headphone considering it's using liquid crystal drivers.post #13 of 177/22/11 at 5:09pm
btw you should check out Fostex T50RP as well.
I haven't heard that model yet, but it's very popular and considered the best ever for the price, and the other Fostex headphones I've heard were very good for rock!post #14 of 177/22/11 at 5:09pmpost #15 of 177/22/11 at 5:38pm
Yes, we do actually have Grados here in the UK. It'd be a sad state of affairs if we didn't. They are quite expensive over here, but it's not quite as bad as it looks - all of our prices include all tax, whereas I believe in the states, the prices are quoted before tax is added. They still work out more expensive here though. The Fostex T50rp is so expensive in the UK compared to the USA, I don't think it's even worth looking into - I checked myself once, and the best I could find is £115 at Digital Village (a store I personally despise). Even if the headphone sounds good enough to be worth that much, you'll have to live with knowing you paid twice as much for it just because you live in the UK. If that's not racism, I don't know what is.
Perhaps the Alessandro is one to consider. I've not heard one myself, but I believe it's based on the SR-125i from Grado, which I owned, and found to be great for rock music as others have stated.
- Headphones for Rock???????
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Opamp thread 28 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 33 seconds ago
- › How do I get my computer to always use the highest quality sample... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and... 3 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 3 minutes ago
- › Plussound Audio Thread 4 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 6 minutes ago
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...