I'm searching through pages and pages trying to find the best headphones for me. Im upgrading from Sony MDR V150's and am searching within a budget of £70. I mainly listen to rock music but also a bit of drum and bass and electronic. The most appealing thing for me about the XB500's are their comfort so I could listen to them for hours but I am worrying that the extra bass could overpower the music. I've also looked at the V6's and they look great but the only UK seller of them is a retailer on amazon and I know someone who brought from them and they were fakes. Another option I have looked at is Bose Around Ears for £75 Any Opinions on the XB500's or Bose Around Ears ? Any suggestions for other headphones? Thanks in advance for the help :)
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones with Reversible Earcupstagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Help!!!! Last post on 7/22/11 at 10:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone recommendations please Last post on 7/5/12 at 10:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones... Last post on 10/23/12 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Was hoping Schiit would cover Modi under warranty since it died just 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Headphones for Rock???????post #1 of 177/22/11 at 12:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 177/22/11 at 12:35pmpost #3 of 177/22/11 at 1:22pmThread Starterpost #4 of 177/22/11 at 1:44pmpost #5 of 177/22/11 at 1:45pmpost #6 of 177/22/11 at 1:51pmThread Starterpost #7 of 177/22/11 at 1:53pm
Echoing the Grado recommendations, and I'll throw the Alessandro MS1 (Music Series One) in as well. It's $99, and the Alessandro has the advantage of being purchasable brand new outside the US, while Grado straight up forbids sales outside the us (last time I checked anyways). Going off the symbol next to your budget I'm guessing this would be apply to you.post #8 of 177/22/11 at 1:58pmThread Starterpost #9 of 177/22/11 at 2:17pmThread Starterpost #10 of 177/22/11 at 2:40pm
Audio Technica M50's are a great all-rounder from the research i've done, never heard them myself but they're held in very high regard around here, should look for a used pair on ebay to suit your budget, retail for about £120 on Amazon.post #11 of 177/22/11 at 4:46pmQuote:
The SR60i goes for $80 over here. Surprised to see that they're on the UK site. Could have sworn that Grado only allowed them to be sold in the US. At that price I couldn't recommend them. The bang for buck factor is completely gone at that price. As for durability, they're pretty solid. Maybe not as much for portable use, but for home use I've had my MS-2i for several years now and they're as good as the day I got them. May need some new earpads in a couple of years but that's it.
I'd say it's still worth checking the shipping rates that Alessandro offers. Going off what I've heard (haven't personally listened to the lower end Grados) they should be somewhere between the SR80 and the SR125 in performance. The current exchange rate should make them within your budget before shipping, and for rock they're quite nice. Nice punchy bass and they do electric guitars oh so well. Zero sound isolation (both in and out), and they're not a basshead can of course, but for rock and metal they do the job quite nicely. There's reviews floating around here that do a much better job than I at describing their sound.post #12 of 177/22/11 at 5:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by lish14
The most appealing thing for me about the XB500's are their comfort so I could listen to them for hours but I am worrying that the extra bass could overpower the music. I've also looked at the V6's and they look great but the only UK seller of them is a retailer on amazon and I know someone who brought from them and they were fakes.
The extra bass isn't that bad, I found it quite decent, it's not huge, it doesn't really overshadow the mids, they truly are very comfortable headphones! Like pillows on your head.
Yes there's a few V6 fakes around, and I didn't find them to be very special headphones, nothing really stands out, so I haven't used them much.
I'd recommend the ZX700 instead, very cheap headphone considering it's using liquid crystal drivers.post #13 of 177/22/11 at 5:09pm
btw you should check out Fostex T50RP as well.
I haven't heard that model yet, but it's very popular and considered the best ever for the price, and the other Fostex headphones I've heard were very good for rock!post #14 of 177/22/11 at 5:09pmpost #15 of 177/22/11 at 5:38pm
Yes, we do actually have Grados here in the UK. It'd be a sad state of affairs if we didn't. They are quite expensive over here, but it's not quite as bad as it looks - all of our prices include all tax, whereas I believe in the states, the prices are quoted before tax is added. They still work out more expensive here though. The Fostex T50rp is so expensive in the UK compared to the USA, I don't think it's even worth looking into - I checked myself once, and the best I could find is £115 at Digital Village (a store I personally despise). Even if the headphone sounds good enough to be worth that much, you'll have to live with knowing you paid twice as much for it just because you live in the UK. If that's not racism, I don't know what is.
Perhaps the Alessandro is one to consider. I've not heard one myself, but I believe it's based on the SR-125i from Grado, which I owned, and found to be great for rock music as others have stated.
- Headphones for Rock???????
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Foobar DSD Setup 4 seconds ago
- › iTunes vs the world! (AAC quality?) 6 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 7 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 18 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Review & Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Whiplash Audio's new TWau Reference wire 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 2 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 3 minutes ago
- › Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear