Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › A Bundle of Extreme Musical Happiness -- A Review of the Swans M200 MKIII
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Bundle of Extreme Musical Happiness -- A Review of the Swans M200 MKIII - Page 2

post #16 of 64

Same question as above... I'm also considering the Emotiva Airmotiv4's.  Anybody heard both sets of speakers to compare?

post #17 of 64

I own both of them.  Both are spectacular.  With the T200Bs, you can expect a better midrange, more detail and slightly better bass.  You can ask me any specific questions you have and I will answer them.

post #18 of 64

i currently own the MKIII but have briefly compared them both before making the purchase of MKIII. T200B definitely sounds better because its more accurate and detailed. However I prefer the MKIII because it matches my music more (all around type, sounds crazy with rock) T200B are more neutral, reminds me of the Adam A7x where many use it for recording so you can expect a very flat neutral sound. 

 

Depends on your preference, the MKIII can be interpreted as slightly coloured compared to the T200B

post #19 of 64


My thoughts exactly.  I will also add that the T200B are much more source dependent, the sound may sound quite a bit with different sources. The construction of the T200B is also nothing short of amazing.  Much higher-end feel and materials than the M200 MKIII.  The only drawback that the T200B is the volume control (which requires input from a remote control).  Still, if you can afford them, shoot for the T200B, it is a world-class speaker.    That being said, the M200 still marks a truly great value in sound quality. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post

i currently own the MKIII but have briefly compared them both before making the purchase of MKIII. T200B definitely sounds better because its more accurate and detailed. However I prefer the MKIII because it matches my music more (all around type, sounds crazy with rock) T200B are more neutral, reminds me of the Adam A7x where many use it for recording so you can expect a very flat neutral sound. 

 

Depends on your preference, the MKIII can be interpreted as slightly coloured compared to the T200B



 

post #20 of 64

Just looking at the specs of the T200b with its bi-amping.  Looks to be a definite upgrade over my MKIII.  Are you guys using the balanced inputs and if so, did you find it an improvement over RCA input?  

Would you say the T200B are better for jazz over the MKIII whereas the MKIII are better for rock?

The pictures I see of the T200B show the volume is on the back of them.  So can you use the dial rather than the remote?  Audio18 indicated one has to use the remote.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post

i currently own the MKIII but have briefly compared them both before making the purchase of MKIII. T200B definitely sounds better because its more accurate and detailed. However I prefer the MKIII because it matches my music more (all around type, sounds crazy with rock) T200B are more neutral, reminds me of the Adam A7x where many use it for recording so you can expect a very flat neutral sound. 

 

Depends on your preference, the MKIII can be interpreted as slightly coloured compared to the T200B

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio18 View Post

My thoughts exactly.  I will also add that the T200B are much more source dependent, the sound may sound quite a bit with different sources. The construction of the T200B is also nothing short of amazing.  Much higher-end feel and materials than the M200 MKIII.  The only drawback that the T200B is the volume control (which requires input from a remote control).  Still, if you can afford them, shoot for the T200B, it is a world-class speaker.    That being said, the M200 still marks a truly great value in sound quality. 

 

post #21 of 64


Technically, you could use the knobs in the back for volume adjustment but I would avoid that.  Even the owner's manual states, and let me paraphrase, "Select your desired volume with the remote, aim at the left speaker, press SEND, then point at the right speaker and press SEND."  The knobs in the back are mainly just to match the speaker level with the source so you don't end up with an overly sensitive remote.  I usually have both of mine set at around 80% at the back and just use the remote to adjust the volume.  I think the ideal setup would use my Little Dot MKIII headphone amp to act as the pre-amp, setting the volume on the T200B to a level that is appropriate, then using the Little Dot's pre-amp feature to make the rest of the adjustments.  I really wish the T200B would get the volume dials from the M200 but I can see that the fact that the T200B being a true bi-amplified monitor makes this difficult.  The volume dials in my opinion also take away from the overall beauty of the speaker, lending the speakers to look more like "computer" speakers than monitors/bookshelves.  The T200B truly achieves a very clean and classy look without the unsightly controls in the front.  It is really a give-and-take thing. 

As far as the balanced inputs, I have never tried them.  My source is currently the 2011 Fubar SpitFire MKII DAC which only has unbalanced RCA outputs.  I've heard running these monitors balanced will provide a quieter background and more detail. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Just looking at the specs of the T200b with its bi-amping.  Looks to be a definite upgrade over my MKIII.  Are you guys using the balanced inputs and if so, did you find it an improvement over RCA input?  

Would you say the T200B are better for jazz over the MKIII whereas the MKIII are better for rock?

The pictures I see of the T200B show the volume is on the back of them.  So can you use the dial rather than the remote?  Audio18 indicated one has to use the remote.
 

 

 



 

post #22 of 64

Thanks for the info.  I'm holding onto my MKIIIs for a while but if I could get a loaner pair of the T200B that could make me a convert.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio18 View Post

Technically, you could use the knobs in the back for volume adjustment but I would avoid that.  Even the owner's manual states, and let me paraphrase, "Select your desired volume with the remote, aim at the left speaker, press SEND, then point at the right speaker and press SEND."  The knobs in the back are mainly just to match the speaker level with the source so you don't end up with an overly sensitive remote.  I usually have both of mine set at around 80% at the back and just use the remote to adjust the volume.  I think the ideal setup would use my Little Dot MKIII headphone amp to act as the pre-amp, setting the volume on the T200B to a level that is appropriate, then using the Little Dot's pre-amp feature to make the rest of the adjustments.  I really wish the T200B would get the volume dials from the M200 but I can see that the fact that the T200B being a true bi-amplified monitor makes this difficult.  The volume dials in my opinion also take away from the overall beauty of the speaker, lending the speakers to look more like "computer" speakers than monitors/bookshelves.  The T200B truly achieves a very clean and classy look without the unsightly controls in the front.  It is really a give-and-take thing. 

As far as the balanced inputs, I have never tried them.  My source is currently the 2011 Fubar SpitFire MKII DAC which only has unbalanced RCA outputs.  I've heard running these monitors balanced will provide a quieter background and more detail. 


 

post #23 of 64

to anyone who might be interested in a new source and amp, I just got the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and it sounds crazy right out of the box with my MKIII. Synergizes really well, so far its the best dac/amp i've used with the M200 MKIIIS. Project86 got it too and his impression are very positive. His review should be coming out too..

post #24 of 64

Excellent, I've been looking for something to use with my single Siemens CCa tube that I have biggrin.gif

How do you like the headphone section of the DAC-11?

Swans sound amazing from my W4S DAC-2 but would be interesting to hear some tube flavor going through the Swans as well.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post

to anyone who might be interested in a new source and amp, I just got the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and it sounds crazy right out of the box with my MKIII. Synergizes really well, so far its the best dac/amp i've used with the M200 MKIIIS. Project86 got it too and his impression are very positive. His review should be coming out too..



 

post #25 of 64

$400 for a powered system where one speaker feeds the other can hardly be considered a good buy, or competitive with an active monitor.


Edited by Mauricio - 3/15/12 at 11:58pm
post #26 of 64

Hmm, I bought a pair of m200mkiiis. I like the soundstaging and the general character of the speakers, but they have this resonance at 130hz, which is very apparent on bass guitars/double basses and it annoys me quite a bit. Could someone else play a 130hz tone on their speakers to help me ascertain whether its a speaker issue, or a room issue? I do it by typing tone://130,5 in "add location" on foobar.


Edited by Tachikoma - 3/16/12 at 7:35am
post #27 of 64

I haven't noticed anything weird and the double bass is my favorite instrument.  My Swans are in a small room and on stands but definitely the room can have a major influence.  I'll listen for any weirdness this weekend.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post

Hmm, I bought a pair of m200mkiiis. I like the soundstaging and the general character of the speakers, but they have this resonance at 130hz, which is very apparent on bass guitars/double basses and it annoys me quite a bit. Could someone else play a 130hz tone on their speakers to help me ascertain whether its a speaker issue, or a room issue? I do it by typing tone://140,5 in "add location" on foobar.



 

post #28 of 64

Its not a mild weirdness, a tone at 130hz is approximately twice as loud as a tone at 150hz in my setting >.<

post #29 of 64

Ouch, that definitely isn't right.

Did you buy the Swans new or used and can you return them?
I've read many glowing reviews of the MKIII and none have mentioned your issue.  Mine are fine as well so it could likely be a defective pair.  Bummer.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/swans2/1.html

 

6.jpg

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post

Its not a mild weirdness, a tone at 130hz is approximately twice as loud as a tone at 150hz in my setting >.<



 

post #30 of 64

Hmmm, I think I found the issue, they just don't play well with my desk. Taking them off the desk solved the resonance issue but ugh, this isn't how I'd like to run my speakers at all.

 

Also, they're new. I don't think I can return them unless they're defective, but I've asked whether I could swap them for something else... which hopefully won't have the same issue.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › A Bundle of Extreme Musical Happiness -- A Review of the Swans M200 MKIII