Considering all the hoop-la about balanced HD650s (and the positive reviews of this amp/DAC w/ HD650s) I'd take a look at the NFB-10WM from Audio-GD. But at the same time, I would think about picking up the LCD-2s with the $1K you're saving up, and using a used receiver you may have lying around, or some other budget amplifier for the time being. If you have a computer source, a Nuforce uDAC wouldn't hurt. Then I would think about quitting while I was ahead.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandCubetagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandMatrixtagged by System, 7/28/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 7/28/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- best amp/dac $600-$800 Last post on 10/11/11 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musical fidelity M1 - HPA opinions or Graham Slee Solo/Novo or Burson Audio HA-160 or Woo Audio ? Last post on 4/3/11 at 11:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- plz recommend headphone+amp+dac with $1,000 budgets. Last post on 9/8/12 at 11:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? - Page 2post #16 of 177/31/11 at 9:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/1/11 at 1:55amQuote:
An inexpensive amp that really opens up the treble on the HD650 is the dynalo/gilmore lite.
Compared to driven by the typical cheap OTL tube amp, the HD650 sounds like a different can driven
by a quick, DC coupled solid state amp like a gilmore lite. It seems like the majority of posters here
prefer an OTL tube amp with the HD650s. I don't at all. The HD650s can be a bit ponderous and slow
on cheaper OTL tube amps to my ears. I went through the gambit with the DV332, LD IV and Bijou with
the HD650 and for me they are dead ends, sound wise. My home rig is electrostat, and that probably
makes me a bit more critical of underdriven/euphonic HD650 sound though. I like the HD650 a lot, but
don't like the infamous "veil" that's more apparent on some amps.
My current rig at work is a gamma II > dynamid > HD650 and in the ~$1000 price range it is by far my favorite
rig. DIY stuff lends itself to tweaking and a simple tweak of raising the PSU voltage to +/- 20 volts and
dropping the output class A bias back to 100mv spec optimizes the gilmore lite/dynalo circuit for higher
impedance phones. Probably not useful information if you're shopping for a non-DIY amp though.
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Earbuds Round-Up 18 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 4 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 6 minutes ago
- › Are headphones in this price range worth upgrading to? 7 minutes ago
- › Sound Card Vs. External DAC 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 - Final Price! - $650 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240... 8 minutes ago
- › Phone + Chord Mojo vs DAP Alone 9 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...