Considering all the hoop-la about balanced HD650s (and the positive reviews of this amp/DAC w/ HD650s) I'd take a look at the NFB-10WM from Audio-GD. But at the same time, I would think about picking up the LCD-2s with the $1K you're saving up, and using a used receiver you may have lying around, or some other budget amplifier for the time being. If you have a computer source, a Nuforce uDAC wouldn't hurt. Then I would think about quitting while I was ahead.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- productBurson Audio HA 160Dtagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandCubetagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandMatrixtagged by System, 7/28/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 7/28/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- best amp/dac $600-$800 Last post on 10/11/11 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musical fidelity M1 - HPA opinions or Graham Slee Solo/Novo or Burson Audio HA-160 or Woo Audio ? Last post on 4/3/11 at 11:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- plz recommend headphone+amp+dac with $1,000 budgets. Last post on 9/8/12 at 11:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I will keep this review short as there are lots of other well done in depth reviews out there. I have had this unit for a while now ( about 4-5 months) and I love it. I have had no issues with it...
My setup: iBasso DX50 --> Dunu DN-1000 Packaging Yes the accessories in the box are plenty. But the cloth material used for inner box and metal case is poor. The black dust from the cloth...
It is really surprising to find this high quality CD performance in analog and digital format. When I connected it to Burson Audio Conductor, all the ignored CD library came back to life. This...
Got this earphones for the sole purpose of working out/biking. Tested out multiple sports headsets (similarly priced), from sennheiser and bose. They tend to sound better, especially than the...
Overall a great little card. Dolby headphone is amazing I preferred this card to my Sound Blaster Z, I sold that card when I needed a bit of money and bought this one to replace it for cheap and I...
Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? - Page 2post #16 of 177/31/11 at 9:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/1/11 at 1:55amQuote:
An inexpensive amp that really opens up the treble on the HD650 is the dynalo/gilmore lite.
Compared to driven by the typical cheap OTL tube amp, the HD650 sounds like a different can driven
by a quick, DC coupled solid state amp like a gilmore lite. It seems like the majority of posters here
prefer an OTL tube amp with the HD650s. I don't at all. The HD650s can be a bit ponderous and slow
on cheaper OTL tube amps to my ears. I went through the gambit with the DV332, LD IV and Bijou with
the HD650 and for me they are dead ends, sound wise. My home rig is electrostat, and that probably
makes me a bit more critical of underdriven/euphonic HD650 sound though. I like the HD650 a lot, but
don't like the infamous "veil" that's more apparent on some amps.
My current rig at work is a gamma II > dynamid > HD650 and in the ~$1000 price range it is by far my favorite
rig. DIY stuff lends itself to tweaking and a simple tweak of raising the PSU voltage to +/- 20 volts and
dropping the output class A bias back to 100mv spec optimizes the gilmore lite/dynalo circuit for higher
impedance phones. Probably not useful information if you're shopping for a non-DIY amp though.
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Amp/DAC choice issues for the Sennheiser HD 650 42 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 53 seconds ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts? 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 4 minutes ago
- › S.M.S.L. sAp-5 portable amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 6 minutes ago
- › Sound Liaison and Blue Coast DSD Sale 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO E09K by Delance26
- › Dunu DN-1000 by screwedpeep
- › Sony BDPS500 Bravia Theater Sync Blu-ray Player by Joong
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › Asus Xonar DGX by TsukiNick
- › Edifier S730 by Croozer
- › Velodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black) by spinnin
- › QLS QA360 Portable HiFi Lossless Music Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by psblend
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by longbowbbs
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)