Considering all the hoop-la about balanced HD650s (and the positive reviews of this amp/DAC w/ HD650s) I'd take a look at the NFB-10WM from Audio-GD. But at the same time, I would think about picking up the LCD-2s with the $1K you're saving up, and using a used receiver you may have lying around, or some other budget amplifier for the time being. If you have a computer source, a Nuforce uDAC wouldn't hurt. Then I would think about quitting while I was ahead.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- productBurson HA-160Dtagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandCubetagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandMatrixtagged by System, 7/28/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 7/28/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- best amp/dac $600-$800 Last post on 10/11/11 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- plz recommend headphone+amp+dac with $1,000 budgets. Last post on 9/8/12 at 11:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? - Page 2post #16 of 177/31/11 at 9:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/1/11 at 1:55amQuote:
An inexpensive amp that really opens up the treble on the HD650 is the dynalo/gilmore lite.
Compared to driven by the typical cheap OTL tube amp, the HD650 sounds like a different can driven
by a quick, DC coupled solid state amp like a gilmore lite. It seems like the majority of posters here
prefer an OTL tube amp with the HD650s. I don't at all. The HD650s can be a bit ponderous and slow
on cheaper OTL tube amps to my ears. I went through the gambit with the DV332, LD IV and Bijou with
the HD650 and for me they are dead ends, sound wise. My home rig is electrostat, and that probably
makes me a bit more critical of underdriven/euphonic HD650 sound though. I like the HD650 a lot, but
don't like the infamous "veil" that's more apparent on some amps.
My current rig at work is a gamma II > dynamid > HD650 and in the ~$1000 price range it is by far my favorite
rig. DIY stuff lends itself to tweaking and a simple tweak of raising the PSU voltage to +/- 20 volts and
dropping the output class A bias back to 100mv spec optimizes the gilmore lite/dynalo circuit for higher
impedance phones. Probably not useful information if you're shopping for a non-DIY amp though.
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 51 seconds ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 5 minutes ago
- › Weird Sennheiser Urbanite Ad 5 minutes ago
- › Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › suitable car amp to work with x3 + 2 8's 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 11 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 12 minutes ago
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)