Considering all the hoop-la about balanced HD650s (and the positive reviews of this amp/DAC w/ HD650s) I'd take a look at the NFB-10WM from Audio-GD. But at the same time, I would think about picking up the LCD-2s with the $1K you're saving up, and using a used receiver you may have lying around, or some other budget amplifier for the time being. If you have a computer source, a Nuforce uDAC wouldn't hurt. Then I would think about quitting while I was ahead.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandCubetagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandMatrixtagged by System, 7/28/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 7/28/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- best amp/dac $600-$800 Last post on 10/11/11 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musical fidelity M1 - HPA opinions or Graham Slee Solo/Novo or Burson Audio HA-160 or Woo Audio ? Last post on 4/3/11 at 11:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- plz recommend headphone+amp+dac with $1,000 budgets. Last post on 9/8/12 at 11:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? - Page 2post #16 of 177/31/11 at 9:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/1/11 at 1:55amQuote:
An inexpensive amp that really opens up the treble on the HD650 is the dynalo/gilmore lite.
Compared to driven by the typical cheap OTL tube amp, the HD650 sounds like a different can driven
by a quick, DC coupled solid state amp like a gilmore lite. It seems like the majority of posters here
prefer an OTL tube amp with the HD650s. I don't at all. The HD650s can be a bit ponderous and slow
on cheaper OTL tube amps to my ears. I went through the gambit with the DV332, LD IV and Bijou with
the HD650 and for me they are dead ends, sound wise. My home rig is electrostat, and that probably
makes me a bit more critical of underdriven/euphonic HD650 sound though. I like the HD650 a lot, but
don't like the infamous "veil" that's more apparent on some amps.
My current rig at work is a gamma II > dynamid > HD650 and in the ~$1000 price range it is by far my favorite
rig. DIY stuff lends itself to tweaking and a simple tweak of raising the PSU voltage to +/- 20 volts and
dropping the output class A bias back to 100mv spec optimizes the gilmore lite/dynalo circuit for higher
impedance phones. Probably not useful information if you're shopping for a non-DIY amp though.
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread 7 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-MM400 2 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601 4 minutes ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 5 minutes ago
- › iPod with SDXC mod (Tarkan or OWC) 5 minutes ago
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2