Considering all the hoop-la about balanced HD650s (and the positive reviews of this amp/DAC w/ HD650s) I'd take a look at the NFB-10WM from Audio-GD. But at the same time, I would think about picking up the LCD-2s with the $1K you're saving up, and using a used receiver you may have lying around, or some other budget amplifier for the time being. If you have a computer source, a Nuforce uDAC wouldn't hurt. Then I would think about quitting while I was ahead.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandCubetagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/28/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
- brandMatrixtagged by System, 7/28/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 7/28/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 7/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- best amp/dac $600-$800 Last post on 10/11/11 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musical fidelity M1 - HPA opinions or Graham Slee Solo/Novo or Burson Audio HA-160 or Woo Audio ? Last post on 4/3/11 at 11:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- plz recommend headphone+amp+dac with $1,000 budgets. Last post on 9/8/12 at 11:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a wonderful little tube amplifier for the price. I paid only $59 for the amp and it was in perfect condition with a new Electro-Harmonix 6922 tube. The tube itself runs about $15, so the...
INTRODUCTION Altone250 U.S. Tour Being an Altone200 fan, I was quite excited to hear that T-PEOS was updating their IEM lineup with a new Altone series based on feedback received from the H300...
Intro (Kind of) The Westone W30 is one of several IEMs in Westone's newly revamped universal IEM collection, intended as a removable-cable replacement to the older W3. For those of you who are...
I picked these beautiful-looking babies on amazon few days ago when price dropped on amazon (used ones from amazon warehouse for $400), which was a bargain; compared to $300 price tag on HD650's....
I began to search for a shorter cable for my HD600 just because the stock cable is to long for using with a portable device. I didn't want to spend to much under $100. I did the standard Amazon and...
Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? - Page 2post #16 of 177/31/11 at 9:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 178/1/11 at 1:55amQuote:
An inexpensive amp that really opens up the treble on the HD650 is the dynalo/gilmore lite.
Compared to driven by the typical cheap OTL tube amp, the HD650 sounds like a different can driven
by a quick, DC coupled solid state amp like a gilmore lite. It seems like the majority of posters here
prefer an OTL tube amp with the HD650s. I don't at all. The HD650s can be a bit ponderous and slow
on cheaper OTL tube amps to my ears. I went through the gambit with the DV332, LD IV and Bijou with
the HD650 and for me they are dead ends, sound wise. My home rig is electrostat, and that probably
makes me a bit more critical of underdriven/euphonic HD650 sound though. I like the HD650 a lot, but
don't like the infamous "veil" that's more apparent on some amps.
My current rig at work is a gamma II > dynamid > HD650 and in the ~$1000 price range it is by far my favorite
rig. DIY stuff lends itself to tweaking and a simple tweak of raising the PSU voltage to +/- 20 volts and
dropping the output class A bias back to 100mv spec optimizes the gilmore lite/dynalo circuit for higher
impedance phones. Probably not useful information if you're shopping for a non-DIY amp though.
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 8 seconds ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Appreciation & Impressions Thread 51 seconds ago
- › LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for recommendations for a portable, closed-back headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi USB DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure... 6 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by sarora
- › T-Peos Altone250 by nmatheis
- › Westone W30 Triple Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones,... by C.C.S.
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2