alright got LugBug and Arle in the OP post, anyone got the numbers? Also is there anything the RS class Grados do poorly? Even NIN sounds orgasmic on these puppys, the bass decay is a bit to soon but still.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR325 Last post on 11/9/11 at 6:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS-1i for Extreme Metal? Last post on 8/15/11 at 6:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Any idea what year these RS-1 are? Last post on 8/14/11 at 11:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for Grados less strident/peaky than RS1s Last post on 6/6/11 at 11:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- upgrading from SR60i Last post on 4/12/11 at 7:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
Grado RS series Owner club! - Page 2post #16 of 2037/28/11 at 12:57amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2037/28/11 at 1:30am
I wouldn't say that they do anything poorly, it's all down to taste I suppose. The constant talk of Grado's being too bright is absolute nonsense as far as my experience with them goes; they are only bright in comparision to dark sounding cans. I've had brighter headphones from both Sennheiser and Denon. (I've only owned the 225's and Rs1's though)
I use my Rs1i's for classical and jazz aswell as rock. And when they are well amped they have no problems with big complex pieces of music. I'd only say if pushed that the soundstage isn't as big as some other cans for say orchestral music. But what you do get that other cans don't have, is the punchy, exciting, open and airy sound that you only get with Grados, nothing is "closed in" sounding. Also when individual intruments come through they have a realness and texture that I've not heard from other cans before. For e.g I can feel vibrations from a Cello, as if it was being played in the same room! Very real.post #18 of 2037/28/11 at 1:40amThread Starter
yea the 325is and UP IMO are the only ones worth there salt, I tried every one side by side up to the GS1000i, they didnt ahve the PS in stock. they all were ear splittingly bright IMO off of a Woo2 and Paradisia DAC. the RS series and the 325is are the warmest of the bunch and are quite nice.post #19 of 2037/28/11 at 3:57ampost #20 of 2037/28/11 at 5:46am
I've said before that I find the RS1i a tiny bit harsh on loud orchestral passages with high, sustained, strings. But it's not much of a complaint - I've been to concerts before and heard the same thing. It's not a failing of the headphones, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a part of the music. So, I blame the composer and conductor!
For every other genre I listen to, I find them excellent. The lack of soundstage is noticeable when I switch from my K702s, but I very quickly get used to it.
Oh, and final point - you spelled my name wrong in the first post : )post #21 of 2037/28/11 at 7:31amQuote:
For me, yes and no.
I agree they are not bright, at least with flats, but they don't have enough bass (quantity or depth, I'm not sure) and this can make them seem brighter than they actually are. I do love my RS2's and find they match superbly with the music I mostly listen to (various flavours of dance music, disco, rock etc) but they could do with eq'ing in the bass on certain material.
The other thing is I'm left wanting a combination of both the flats and bowls. I prefer the flats because it puts more meat on the bone, so to speak, and seems to improve midrange and tame brightness. Yet the flats also sound very slightly muffled, which equates to a kind of colouration. I'd love the sound of the flats with just a smidgeon of the openness, air and tightness of the bowls.
The RS-2's seem to match well with a Burson HA-160D and Berning Micro Zotl.
All in all, the Grado's are an immensely enjoyable listen. And blissfully light too.
Edited by BrainFood - 7/28/11 at 7:39ampost #22 of 2037/29/11 at 1:01pm
What's everyone using for amps with thier RS's? I've got mine plugged into my old X can v3 at the mo and I'm liking it. The sound is slightly softer than my little dot1+ but a nice alternative. Not the same amount of detail as the LD but the soundstage is slightly larger.
Both hybrid amps, anyone prefer pure tubes or ss??post #23 of 2037/31/11 at 9:21pmThread Starter
Amped they really get moving, I can tell a huge difference between amped and unamped at the same volume leave*by ear* the amp really speeds them up, I have a dark amp with a gigantic sound stage and a super lush low end and deliciously colored mid range, it makes the RS-2 feel like a topical jungle of sound in my ears.post #24 of 2038/2/11 at 4:16pmpost #25 of 2038/3/11 at 12:55pmQuote:
"Grados, tubes, and jazz. Time well wasted!!!"
Nice pics, and love the signiture!post #26 of 2038/3/11 at 1:29pm
RS1i owner checking in. #9057
(a quick picture I took for another post - I'll post some better quality ones at some point.)
I moved to these after being so impressed with the SR225i. Before that the HD 650 was my main headphone, driven by an OTL tube amp (a combination I thoroughly enjoyed - I only brought the SR225i's because I was curious about the Grado sound).
I've been driving the RS1i from my AMB M³ and I'm very pleased with the results. I did have a stint driving the SR225i with my Little Dot I+ - which is a popular pairing with Grado headphones - while I was building the M³. Based on my time with the I+, I can see why hybrid tube amps are a popular choice for Grado's, and actually the M³'s 'tone' isn't dissimilar to the I+, so I've found the M³ to be a very good pairing the RS1i, and the SR225i before it. Otherwise the M³ trumps the I+ in every respect by some margin (most notably a cleaner sound, more detail and tighter bass), but that's to be expected given the cost difference.
I listen to pretty much the staple genres (mainly prog. rock, blues, folk, Jazz, pop and electronic), and the RS1i is the only headphone I use for serious home listening at the moment. I don't find the RS1i lacking in any of the music I listen to and I don't consider it overly dark or bright. It doesn't have the body of the HD 650, which is more noticeable in some tracks, but it has punchy bass and the way it focuses in on vocals and instrument timbre is magical and the real reason I love this headphone - it's also faster than the HD 650.
Edited by jr41 - 8/3/11 at 1:30pmpost #27 of 2038/3/11 at 9:55pmQuote:
Just some quick pics with the phone camera!!
I have been thiking of getting a small tube amp for the RS2's to take with me as i work away from home a week or so at a time, but the more i use the little decware zh-1 portable with these Grados, the more i'm liking the combo
I adjusted the internal gain switch to high, which makes a bit of difference, and i like the crossfeed setting on this amp. It works well with all my headphones and in ears also, which are all lower impedance.
I am steadily becoming more of a fan of the Grado sound !!!post #28 of 2038/4/11 at 11:42pmThread Starterpost #29 of 2038/11/11 at 5:27am
Wow, I wonder if Grado is already up to #10,000 series on RS1 and RS2, would love to see it posted here with pictures in this thread.post #30 of 2038/12/11 at 10:20amQuote:
I'm not the original owner of mine, I brought them unused from another forum member. He brought them in March this year from Amazon, so that might provide some kind of a clue if Grado are in the 10,000's yet - I don't know what their rate of production is.
- Grado RS series Owner club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Ocharaku Flat - 4 : Sui earphone 6 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › [Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Neutrality/Fidelity 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD600/650 vs HiFiMan HE400 2 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S5 audio review 3 minutes ago
- › Need recommendation for in-ears to use with LG G2 phone 3 minutes ago
- › Want To Know Your Opinion About Getting 1000 $ IEM. 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › iFi iDAC DAC / headphone Amplifier by Faber65
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob