My father is in the market for headphones, he wants to use them at home and at work without disturbing other employees. He does not have an external amp or dac so they will have to sound decent out of a work computer. He will be using them with Spotify so sound quality isn't his #1 priority. They have to be decently comfortable and he will primarily be listening to rock from the 80s. I let him try my M50s and he said he wanted the exact pair (except for the price tag). I'm thinking the MDR-XB500's might be for him because he said he likes the bass, but any recommendations would be great!
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/19/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-SJ5 headphonestagged by System, 8/8/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/19/11
- productSennheiser HD 201 Headphonestagged by System, 8/8/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Stylish headphones under 50-60 dollars Last post on 9/2/11 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones should I buy? Last post on 8/18/11 at 7:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help with can selection Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Been pondering for days. Last post on 9/16/11 at 4:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background In about 1990, when Joseph Grado was designing his HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner (perfectly-matched pair of microphones for recording), he needed some detailed, neutral...
Creative's Sound Blaster E1 If you want to cover your bases with a do-all headphone accessory, the E1 is a good start. Affordable, well featured, inexpensive, the E1 is Creative's entry-level...
Firstly like to thank Chuck from 1964 Ears for organising the Pendulumic Stance S1+ headphones for this review. Pendulumic is a relatively new company in the headphone world, and...
Introduction: RHA is a fairly new audio company that has made quite a splash recently with their MA750 and T10 IEMs. RHA has recently announced their new T20 IEM which is due to be released...
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
Best Headphones for Rock Around $50?post #1 of 217/18/11 at 10:43pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 218/4/11 at 2:18pmpost #3 of 218/4/11 at 2:26pmpost #4 of 218/4/11 at 8:23pm
Look into ATH SJ5's, Senn HD201's, and Panasonic RP-HTX7's. I like them all. Although isolation on the senns are adequate for an office but not really good otherwise when commuting. The most comfortable of the three though.
EDIT: Just reread your post and saw that your dad wants bass, so forget the 201's since they're a bit bass-shy. That leaves the sj5's and the rp htx7's. yay for rock music from the 80's
Edited by roma101 - 8/4/11 at 8:26pmpost #5 of 218/5/11 at 1:08amYou might check Sonystyle to see if they have any refurb MDR-V6s in stock. Last I saw they were going for $40. It's a very good headphone, especially at that price.post #6 of 218/5/11 at 1:22am
Agreed 100%. I used these cans extensively and they aren't terribly revealing (avoiding the negative side effects of that), but they have excellent response across all ranges including bass, and a very attractive soundstage. They're also dirt-cheap.
Quote:post #7 of 218/5/11 at 7:36am
Tell your dad to increase his price range just a tad, I mean really what is $30 these days? Tell him to get the Grado SR60i, they would suit him well, I believe.post #8 of 218/5/11 at 7:47amQuote:
Any open back headphones in an work environment imo is a total fail. All others mentioned are adequate.post #9 of 218/5/11 at 7:52ampost #10 of 218/5/11 at 7:55ampost #11 of 218/5/11 at 7:57am
For $50 there is nothing better than a Kicker Hp541.. It will even give your M50 a run for sounds.. No joke.. It will do rock actually better than the M50 as it has the most authoritative mids..And believe it or not better BASS than the m50 I know as I have both.. You might even like em once you get em.. I agree that the HARX700 is a good bang per buck but they are huge on the head.. The kickers will shock you how good they are for the little bit extra..post #12 of 218/5/11 at 9:55amQuote:
its already been established he cant disturb his co-workers, so open-air 'phones are outta the question.
i second the MDR-V6s. Might need to get it refurbed to keep it under $50, but the V6s are worth every penny of it's new price anyways. there's a reason why its been around for so long... people protest when Sony tries to discontinue it.post #13 of 218/5/11 at 11:31am
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between two headphones, the Sennheiser HD 201's and the JVC HAS700. My budget is $30, and the 201's are 22, the HAS700 are 30. Plan to use them for everything (music/games/movies) and I listen to mostly light rock and just a song here and there from different genres. Any more suggestions are welcome as well, as long as they don't exceed their budget.post #14 of 218/5/11 at 12:50pm
JVC HARX7000, $33 and change shipped free on Amazon. End of story, no need to look further.
Quote:Originally Posted by Kalookakoo
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between two headphones, the Sennheiser HD 201's and the JVC HAS700. My budget is $30, and the 201's are 22, the HAS700 are 30. Plan to use them for everything (music/games/movies) and I listen to mostly light rock and just a song here and there from different genres. Any more suggestions are welcome as well, as long as they don't exceed their budget.post #15 of 218/5/11 at 2:24pmQuote:
A 3rd vote for the MDR-V6.
65.00 shipped from top dealers like Amazon, but they're a far better value at that price than any headphones I know of selling for 50.00.
Excellent headphones for rock music, well made, proven over many years.
They'll also last a long time, even if not treated very well.
Keeping it at 50.00 I'd lean toward the Beyer DT235 or Yamaha RH5MA.
(The Yamaha is "semi-open" but has very little sound leakage; inaudible from a few feet away.)
- Best Headphones for Rock Around $50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Objectivists board room 2 minutes ago
- › Hlly SMK II USB 24/96 DAC and Headphone Amp combo 2 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Appreciation & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Geniuses or people with 130+ IQ only! 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 3 minutes ago
- › Apple Music... Seriously? 4 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Lightning Cables - Official and Custom (welcomed). 4 minutes ago
- › iFi nano iCAN. "Name that Attenuator" competition. Winner no. 1... 5 minutes ago
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)