My father is in the market for headphones, he wants to use them at home and at work without disturbing other employees. He does not have an external amp or dac so they will have to sound decent out of a work computer. He will be using them with Spotify so sound quality isn't his #1 priority. They have to be decently comfortable and he will primarily be listening to rock from the 80s. I let him try my M50s and he said he wanted the exact pair (except for the price tag). I'm thinking the MDR-XB500's might be for him because he said he likes the bass, but any recommendations would be great!
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/19/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-SJ5 headphonestagged by System, 8/8/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/19/11
- productSennheiser HD 201 Headphonestagged by System, 8/8/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Stylish headphones under 50-60 dollars Last post on 9/2/11 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones should I buy? Last post on 8/18/11 at 7:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help with can selection Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Been pondering for days. Last post on 9/16/11 at 4:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Firstly I would like to thank iFi Audio for the loan unit for review, I have been using it for about 3 weeks and as always I will try to write an honest review. Gear Used: Dell XPS 15 /...
I bought these back in 2000 for full retail, which was a lot of money for me at the time. I got to A/B these at a hi-fi shop using my reference CD. I listened to the HD600 and the HD590. I...
Acknowledgment Thank you HiFiMAN for providing this review unit on loan in exchange for my honest opinion.Introduction HiFiMAN has been around a long time now. They’ve gone from bargain OEM...
INTRO:- Shozy, A brand that hails from HongKong, going strong since 2012, better known for their amplifiers, DAPs and DACs has the mighty popular Shozy Alien that looks, sounds and...
1) Disclaimer: A big thanks to Charles and Burson for offering me a review sample of the V5i dual op-amps in exchange for my honest opinion on them. No other compensation was offered or implied....
Best Headphones for Rock Around $50?post #1 of 217/18/11 at 10:43pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 218/4/11 at 2:18pmpost #3 of 218/4/11 at 2:26pmpost #4 of 218/4/11 at 8:23pm
Look into ATH SJ5's, Senn HD201's, and Panasonic RP-HTX7's. I like them all. Although isolation on the senns are adequate for an office but not really good otherwise when commuting. The most comfortable of the three though.
EDIT: Just reread your post and saw that your dad wants bass, so forget the 201's since they're a bit bass-shy. That leaves the sj5's and the rp htx7's. yay for rock music from the 80's
Edited by roma101 - 8/4/11 at 8:26pmpost #5 of 218/5/11 at 1:08amYou might check Sonystyle to see if they have any refurb MDR-V6s in stock. Last I saw they were going for $40. It's a very good headphone, especially at that price.post #6 of 218/5/11 at 1:22am
Agreed 100%. I used these cans extensively and they aren't terribly revealing (avoiding the negative side effects of that), but they have excellent response across all ranges including bass, and a very attractive soundstage. They're also dirt-cheap.
Quote:post #7 of 218/5/11 at 7:36am
Tell your dad to increase his price range just a tad, I mean really what is $30 these days? Tell him to get the Grado SR60i, they would suit him well, I believe.post #8 of 218/5/11 at 7:47amQuote:
Any open back headphones in an work environment imo is a total fail. All others mentioned are adequate.post #9 of 218/5/11 at 7:52ampost #10 of 218/5/11 at 7:55ampost #11 of 218/5/11 at 7:57am
For $50 there is nothing better than a Kicker Hp541.. It will even give your M50 a run for sounds.. No joke.. It will do rock actually better than the M50 as it has the most authoritative mids..And believe it or not better BASS than the m50 I know as I have both.. You might even like em once you get em.. I agree that the HARX700 is a good bang per buck but they are huge on the head.. The kickers will shock you how good they are for the little bit extra..post #12 of 218/5/11 at 9:55amQuote:
its already been established he cant disturb his co-workers, so open-air 'phones are outta the question.
i second the MDR-V6s. Might need to get it refurbed to keep it under $50, but the V6s are worth every penny of it's new price anyways. there's a reason why its been around for so long... people protest when Sony tries to discontinue it.post #13 of 218/5/11 at 11:31am
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between two headphones, the Sennheiser HD 201's and the JVC HAS700. My budget is $30, and the 201's are 22, the HAS700 are 30. Plan to use them for everything (music/games/movies) and I listen to mostly light rock and just a song here and there from different genres. Any more suggestions are welcome as well, as long as they don't exceed their budget.post #14 of 218/5/11 at 12:50pm
JVC HARX7000, $33 and change shipped free on Amazon. End of story, no need to look further.
Quote:Originally Posted by Kalookakoo
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between two headphones, the Sennheiser HD 201's and the JVC HAS700. My budget is $30, and the 201's are 22, the HAS700 are 30. Plan to use them for everything (music/games/movies) and I listen to mostly light rock and just a song here and there from different genres. Any more suggestions are welcome as well, as long as they don't exceed their budget.post #15 of 218/5/11 at 2:24pmQuote:
A 3rd vote for the MDR-V6.
65.00 shipped from top dealers like Amazon, but they're a far better value at that price than any headphones I know of selling for 50.00.
Excellent headphones for rock music, well made, proven over many years.
They'll also last a long time, even if not treated very well.
Keeping it at 50.00 I'd lean toward the Beyer DT235 or Yamaha RH5MA.
(The Yamaha is "semi-open" but has very little sound leakage; inaudible from a few feet away.)
- Best Headphones for Rock Around $50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 40 seconds ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 58 seconds ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 4 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by Jackpot77
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Soundaware Esther by Fabaaroan
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...