Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/19/11
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandALO Audiotagged by System, 8/3/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/19/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/3/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/19/11
- productTTVJ Millet Portable Hybridtagged by System, 8/19/11
Related Forum Threads
- Do I buy Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE500 as upgrade solution to my current HD650/K701 combo? Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Leben CS600 in DC area -- anyone with LCD2, T1, GS1000, HD800, 702 who wants to listen? Last post on 2/20/15 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best amp under 500$ Last post on 8/21/11 at 8:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 6-SE. Overkill for K701s? Last post on 4/12/11 at 8:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/25/15
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/823483/hifiman-re-00-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: OMFG...
This review won't be too detailed, just a vote of respect for such a fine pair of headphones. I tend to like warm toned headphones, rather than purely neutral sets, and the Philips Fidelio X2 has...
The NAD VISO HP50 could have been a truly outstanding headphone. They produced a set with great sound, with a marvelous midrange, bass when it is called for in the music and highs that do not...
Philips SHP8000 40mm Dynamic Semi Open Full-size Headphones 10/21/2016 This ends up being an import only, semi-open, full-size around-ear headphone, priced at about $80.00...
ALO The Continental - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 4561/8/13 at 11:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dan S
The Continental v3 just appeared on ALO's site. I wonder how different it sounds...
I just saw that on FB. Seems a new Thomson 6111 tube & new output stage. At least according to Google cache (actually don't need Google cache), the pricing's the same.post #438 of 4561/9/13 at 8:15pmQuote:
I don't suppose you'd have an actual part number or web link for that part would you?post #439 of 4561/10/13 at 9:22am
You can pick it out from this page:
I did not have as much luck with this as Funch did. My shaft must have been misaligned just enough to create some interference fit with the skirt of the knob on the recess in the amp face. I probably could have adjusted and gotten it right, but I havn't messed with it much.post #440 of 4561/10/13 at 4:06pmQuote:post #441 of 4561/12/13 at 1:40ampost #442 of 4561/12/13 at 4:43am
I hope [probably in vain] that ALO Audio made the battery to be replaceable and not glued in by an industrial strength superglue. If the battery were to be replaceable then there would be no worries about the battery life. As it is now the Continental has a limited lifespan. Because of the heat from the tube the battery's life is shortened. I totally do not understand why in the first version and the V2 the battery could not be replaced. Is my hope that V3 is different misplaced ?post #443 of 4561/12/13 at 6:27ampost #444 of 4561/12/13 at 10:12ampost #445 of 4561/12/13 at 11:08am
I love my V2 and I'm not too bothered by the battery life or even it's lack of battery swapability. What I do hate however, is the damn wall-wart charger. Why do so many sleek portable devices come with pain-in-the-neck sized chargers?
Conversely, I love my Fostex sac/amp as it charges from the USB port and doesn't require a separate charger.post #446 of 4561/13/13 at 3:14ampost #447 of 4561/13/13 at 3:17ampost #448 of 4561/13/13 at 3:24ampost #449 of 4561/20/13 at 5:35amQuote:Originally Posted by qusp
I would be really careful replacing the battery, lipoly are not known for their stability (they are much less stable than lifepo4 and this chemistry is the reason we now have all these shipping restrictions and issues with flying wit laptops etc) and the charge circuit will be tuned for this particular battery. provided the charge circuit is internal and not in the wall wart, which you could change instead, changing to a larger capacity or different voltage could make for an .....'interesting' listening experience same with the tube, bias will be set up for this tube in combination with this output stage and this supply voltage, its not like rolling opamps (which themselves imo should not be rolled blind)
And provided that the replacement battery is of the same voltage ? As I understand what is crucial is the voltage. The current is used at the steady mA/hour rate. A battery with a larger storing capacity and the same voltage would work the same.post #450 of 4561/20/13 at 7:56am
If changing batteries is such a pain, is there any estimation of how many hours battery life you'll get? I imagine that would vary wildly based on the headphones you're powering, but are we talking a year, two years, etc.?
- ALO The Continental
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? 2 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 13 seconds ago
- › AMP/DAC for Sennheiser HD 700 headphones 14 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 22 seconds ago
- › Setting up a Schiit stack with my computer / headphones 43 seconds ago
- › Used one day - Audioquest Dragonfly Black 48 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-770 Vs DT-770 Pro 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 4 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 4 minutes ago
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone by InternPrimas
- › Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitor by Kerry56
- › Chord&Major 01'16 Electric Tonal Earphone by Cinder
- › Cowon PM2-128SL Plenue M2 PM2 High Resolution Music Player 128GB... by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...