Hello, I'm new to the audiophile scene. For the longest time, I've been stuck with these cheap, $20 pair of Skull Candies, and at this point I'm utterly sick of 'em. I need a real pair of cans! There's a couple things I want from them:
- Preferably circumaural, closed-back - although I'm willing to make a compromise. Mainly because I don't want people within 10-foot radius listening to what I'm hearing. Isolation at a mid range would be preferable. If there's an open-back that still provides decent isolation, I'd gladly take those.
- Preferably no amp required. Again, I'm willing to make a compromise. But I don't the first thing about amps, so if recommended a pair of cans that require an amp, I'd appreciate a recommendation on an affordable amp as well (portable or desktop, whichever one).
- Good, clean sound - a balanced sounding headphone; perhaps with a slight emphasis on bass. I'll be using them mostly for gaming, music, and movies. I listen to a lot of classic rock and house (which has lots of bass). I do a lot of gaming, which bass tends to enhance the experience. So I guess the emphasis on bass is justified, although I'm hoping it doesn't conflict with my tastes towards classic rock music (in which case, mid-ranges are important). Nonetheless, I do appreciate nice mid-ranges. I'm assuming all of this can be adjusted through trail-and-error with an EQ though.
- Around $200 (USD). If an amp is needed, I'm willing to spend no more than $65. Although I suppose I can dip in my budget for new cans to go towards an amp. I'm guessing there's a sweet spot somewhere.
From what I've gathered, these headphones seem to be the most recommended that suit towards my needs (that don't require an amp):
- Audio Technica ATH-A900
- Audio Technica ATH-M50
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II
- Sennheiser HD 595/598 (although I believe these are open-back)
If there's any other recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them. At this point, I'm a little confused on which one to get. Certainly advice from the pros will help me out. Thank you in advance.
Edited by ExLegend - 7/17/11 at 4:59pm