I just got the SE535's about a week and a half ago. I have a mid-2011 Macbook Pro also. I immediately noticed the hissing noise also. I immediately headed to my local hi-fi store to try to figure out what it was that was causing the issue. The bozo at the store could not give me a straight answer but instead tried to sell me an Audioquest Dragonfly instead because he thought it "might" fix it. I had already done plenty of research and was going to buy the Dragonfly before he even brought it up. I knew that wouldn't fix it. I purchased the Dragonfly from my local Best Buy the same day because he wanted to charge me $250 for the version 1.0 when I already knew I could get the 1.2 from Best Buy for $99. But that is beside the point. If you just plug the inline volume control into the MB Pro first and then the SE535 into volume control. Put the IEMs in and then adjust the inline control down just enough to where the hiss is no longer audible. Voila! Not only will the terrible hiss be gone, but this will also allow your MB Pro to have a much larger system volume range to work with when changing the volume. BTW, the Dragonfly is definitely worth your time if you're planning on getting a DAC anytime soon for your computer.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/27/11
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 7/27/11
- productIbasso D12tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productiBasso D6tagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productShure SE535LTD REDtagged by System, 3/7/13More
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 7/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02 Last post on 8/26/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535 vs Sennheiser IE8: What to buy? Last post on 9/8/12 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Since 2011 when I first discovered this site, I've experimented with quite a few low/mid-tier earphones and these are my favorite by far. I prefer them over my Vsonic Gr06, Vsonic VC1000, and...
*I am reviewing the Meze 99 Classics as a condition of the recent tour conducted by the fine folks at Meze. The following is simply my honest impressions. Introduction and Initial...
DISCLAIMER After my last pair of earphones broke, I did some research on the forums to find high praise for Edifier, much of which for the 185's. A bit of research showed that the company sought...
DISCLAIMER I am in no way associated with the SoundMAGIC company. I have bought ES18 myself and just expressing my honest opinion here. ABOUT ME I am a 25 years old music enthusiast...
Shure SE 535, very noticeable HISS - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 392/20/15 at 10:50am
I'm new to IEM's but I do hear HISS with clip+! I bought se535 about a week ago and when I plugged it into my HTC one there was noticeable hiss. I read a lot of reviews and decided to give a try on the clip+(since fiio x5 is not on sale for now). I just got the clip+ and the HISS is still there!! Well, yeah, it's not as loud as other device but it is still there. Desperated.... I tried my frd's iphone and that's NO HISS.
Anyway I still appreciate for your review but I strongly courage ppl to listen to the device b4 buying it.post #33 of 393/2/15 at 10:48ampost #34 of 393/4/15 at 2:24pmpost #35 of 393/5/15 at 6:23pmpost #36 of 393/6/15 at 9:00ampost #37 of 3911/18/15 at 2:37pm
Well, duh... that's obvious... Reviews can only get you so far... testing by your own ear is the best way to test a device, getting unbiased opinion before reading biased ones online. Retail store that allow demo devices like Jaben is really a place worth visiting.
About the hiss on the 535, I didn't have it either from using my VAIO laptop or my Sony IC Recorder (surprisingly has better sound than my smartphone), but FitEar 334 did manage to pick it up, well its a lot more sensitive, do recommend to check the overall gear spec and its meaning before buying things online if you can't find the store to try it out first.
Edited by Sp12er3 - 11/18/15 at 2:41pmpost #38 of 3911/19/15 at 8:36pm
I have read on a number of occasions people complaining that headphones hiss. Passive components can not and do not HISS!!!!!! It is the source component that is doing the hissing - the headphones, due to their high sensitivity, are doing a better job of revealing it. If your Apple computer is hissing at you through the Shure headphones don't blame the messenger. And for the person who was deriding the salesman for trying to foist an AudioQuest Dragonfly on him, that was an elegant and efficient solution in that it removed the noisy afterthought that Apple calls audio, and replaced it with quality, purpose built audio circuitry.post #39 of 393/14/16 at 2:06pm
I've recently bought Shure se535 Red Ltd editions and I'm getting very loud hiss out of my HRT microstreamer. They're fine direct out of my HTC One (M7) and out of my Chord Mojo. The HRT microstreamer is fine with all my other IEMs including IE8s, Etymotic ER4Ps, Shure se425s and others. I'm talking about a barely audible hiss here - they're really unusable with microstreamer.
I'd really welcome any thoughts here as to what the problem is and any potential fix?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE 535, very noticeable HISS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 26 seconds ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 5 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 5 minutes ago
- › The Head-Fi Times "A Ghetto burnout newspaper" 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 8 minutes ago
- › Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 10 minutes ago
- › NEW Audio-Technica SOLID BASS Flagship IEM: ATH-CKS1100 10 minutes ago
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Meze 99 Classics by joeq70
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › DUNU DN-2002 by Brooko
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by kimvictor
- › Westone ES 5 by Xu Tianyi
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Aornic
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by Zelda
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...