I just got the SE535's about a week and a half ago. I have a mid-2011 Macbook Pro also. I immediately noticed the hissing noise also. I immediately headed to my local hi-fi store to try to figure out what it was that was causing the issue. The bozo at the store could not give me a straight answer but instead tried to sell me an Audioquest Dragonfly instead because he thought it "might" fix it. I had already done plenty of research and was going to buy the Dragonfly before he even brought it up. I knew that wouldn't fix it. I purchased the Dragonfly from my local Best Buy the same day because he wanted to charge me $250 for the version 1.0 when I already knew I could get the 1.2 from Best Buy for $99. But that is beside the point. If you just plug the inline volume control into the MB Pro first and then the SE535 into volume control. Put the IEMs in and then adjust the inline control down just enough to where the hiss is no longer audible. Voila! Not only will the terrible hiss be gone, but this will also allow your MB Pro to have a much larger system volume range to work with when changing the volume. BTW, the Dragonfly is definitely worth your time if you're planning on getting a DAC anytime soon for your computer.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/27/11
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 7/27/11
- productIbasso D12tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productiBasso D6tagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productShure SE535LTD REDtagged by System, 3/7/13More
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 7/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02 Last post on 8/26/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535 vs Sennheiser IE8: What to buy? Last post on 9/8/12 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Shure SE 535, very noticeable HISS - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 392/20/15 at 10:50am
I'm new to IEM's but I do hear HISS with clip+! I bought se535 about a week ago and when I plugged it into my HTC one there was noticeable hiss. I read a lot of reviews and decided to give a try on the clip+(since fiio x5 is not on sale for now). I just got the clip+ and the HISS is still there!! Well, yeah, it's not as loud as other device but it is still there. Desperated.... I tried my frd's iphone and that's NO HISS.
Anyway I still appreciate for your review but I strongly courage ppl to listen to the device b4 buying it.post #33 of 393/2/15 at 10:48ampost #34 of 393/4/15 at 2:24pmpost #35 of 393/5/15 at 6:23pmpost #36 of 393/6/15 at 9:00ampost #37 of 3911/18/15 at 2:37pm
Well, duh... that's obvious... Reviews can only get you so far... testing by your own ear is the best way to test a device, getting unbiased opinion before reading biased ones online. Retail store that allow demo devices like Jaben is really a place worth visiting.
About the hiss on the 535, I didn't have it either from using my VAIO laptop or my Sony IC Recorder (surprisingly has better sound than my smartphone), but FitEar 334 did manage to pick it up, well its a lot more sensitive, do recommend to check the overall gear spec and its meaning before buying things online if you can't find the store to try it out first.
Edited by Sp12er3 - 11/18/15 at 2:41pmpost #38 of 3911/19/15 at 8:36pm
I have read on a number of occasions people complaining that headphones hiss. Passive components can not and do not HISS!!!!!! It is the source component that is doing the hissing - the headphones, due to their high sensitivity, are doing a better job of revealing it. If your Apple computer is hissing at you through the Shure headphones don't blame the messenger. And for the person who was deriding the salesman for trying to foist an AudioQuest Dragonfly on him, that was an elegant and efficient solution in that it removed the noisy afterthought that Apple calls audio, and replaced it with quality, purpose built audio circuitry.post #39 of 393/14/16 at 2:06pm
I've recently bought Shure se535 Red Ltd editions and I'm getting very loud hiss out of my HRT microstreamer. They're fine direct out of my HTC One (M7) and out of my Chord Mojo. The HRT microstreamer is fine with all my other IEMs including IE8s, Etymotic ER4Ps, Shure se425s and others. I'm talking about a barely audible hiss here - they're really unusable with microstreamer.
I'd really welcome any thoughts here as to what the problem is and any potential fix?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE 535, very noticeable HISS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Home-Made IEMs 31 seconds ago
- › Looking for a new pair of open-back headphones that has bass! 32 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 44 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 51 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 4 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 5 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 5 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...