New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN RE-272 Review - Page 22

post #316 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguire View Post
 

I think its design shell could be one reason, the the newer RE400/600 shells are much easier to the eye & also fit.

 

i think lack of hype was the key point in not becoming as popular as it should

 

its fit is fine and i say this having owned the RE-252 which had big fit issues

 

the RE-272 is easy to put in your ears and wear them

 

hoping Hifiman will release in the near future something as good as the 272

 

post #317 of 449

Lack of active marketing and the looks did help either.

post #318 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by psygeist View Post
 

Lack of active marketing and the looks .

 

fit is one (very important) thing , but looks ?

 

ok , i never let the looks influence my buying habits of hi-fi iems

then again , i am not someone who thinks beats by dr dre are the bomb :D

 

(these iems should have been up there with er-4)

post #319 of 449

252......Yep got them too, besides being being a hard fit, its a dust magnet.....& what were they thinking re its looks?????

I have always maintained the 272 was way up there with the Ety.  Fit was a problem for me though I ended up having to wear them over the ear & using the white cord with wearing them in opposite ears..:) 

post #320 of 449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguire View Post
 

252......Yep got them too, besides being being a hard fit, its a dust magnet.....& what were they thinking re its looks?????

I have always maintained the 272 was way up there with the Ety.  Fit was a problem for me though I ended up having to wear them over the ear & using the white cord with wearing them in opposite ears..:) 

 

 

up there with the etys?  in my opinion they demolished the ER4's.  no "it was close," the 272 just wiped the floor with them acoustically.  the RE-0 was closest to the ER4 and they still beat them.  HiFiMAN imo have made some absolute stunners, its just a shame so many are now discontinued.

post #321 of 449

Never had the chance to try the RE- O. But amped the 272 are really amazing. Yes I agree that it is a shame that they have discontinued them.....

post #322 of 449
Thread Starter 

arent there still some 0's available?  thought i saw some on head direct, hmm seems not.  sad as it was one of the all time great IEM's

post #323 of 449

I currently own a pair of RE-262 IEM's and I love them! Though after reading the 272 reviews my interest got tickled into getting a pair only to find that head-direct/amazon isn't selling them anymore. :( Does anybody know if they are still somewhere to be bought, second hand or new? I've just now joined the head-fi forum so I can't put up a wanted ad yet.

 

I did sent an email to head-direct to see if they might have one in stock or maybe a used or refurbished one. Just waiting for their reply.

post #324 of 449

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00681ZUPK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=BKCAT754U053&coliid=I26LI7CYP7MWEX

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldgroot View Post
 

I currently own a pair of RE-262 IEM's and I love them! Though after reading the 272 reviews my interest got tickled into getting a pair only to find that head-direct/amazon isn't selling them anymore. :( Does anybody know if they are still somewhere to be bought, second hand or new? I've just now joined the head-fi forum so I can't put up a wanted ad yet.

 

I did sent an email to head-direct to see if they might have one in stock or maybe a used or refurbished one. Just waiting for their reply.

post #325 of 449

Yeah I've seen this on Amazon, I wanted to know if somebody else maybe knew of another place but thanks! I have a question for people who've listened to both the 262 and the 272. The main interests for me wanting to try out the 272 is the brighter sound signature and the 20Ohm impedance since I'm using a DAP without external amplifier. (for now)

 

My first question is, does the 272 have less low end than the 262 has because of it's brighter sound signature? The other question is if it's so that because the 262 has a 150Ohm impedance that my DAP isn't able to produce the low end with the 262's as easy as it might would with the 20Ohm's of the 272?

 

The DAP I'm currently using is a Samsung Galaxy S (Wolfson WM8994 DAC) with voodoo sound enabled for better DAC performance.

post #326 of 449

neither 272 nor 262 are bass monsters . i had the 262 and i hated its rolled-off highs , and i was unlucky as my pair broke just when i got myself an arrow amp

i went ahead and bought the 272 and i have been 100% satisfied with it - it has amazing highs without being sibilant , great mids , bass is not as pronounced but i am not a basshead so i don't really mind

i use it with my arrow 4g to boost its bass a bit , but from my j3 it sounded fine amp-less
 

the amp improves it though imho , as it tightens the sound and gives a bit more bass.

 

i wish i had the 262 , i think the 262/272 is an ideal combo as you can rotate between a more neutral/fun sound , depending on your mood.

 

btw , there are some refurbished 3G arrow for sale at headstage , for just 150$ - imo , terrific price for such a great amp.

plus it will make your 262 shine even more than without an amp.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldgroot View Post
 

Yeah I've seen this on Amazon, I wanted to know if somebody else maybe knew of another place but thanks! I have a question for people who've listened to both the 262 and the 272. The main interests for me wanting to try out the 272 is the brighter sound signature and the 20Ohm impedance since I'm using a DAP without external amplifier. (for now)

 

My first question is, does the 272 have less low end than the 262 has because of it's brighter sound signature? The other question is if it's so that because the 262 has a 150Ohm impedance that my DAP isn't able to produce the low end with the 262's as easy as it might would with the 20Ohm's of the 272?

 

The DAP I'm currently using is a Samsung Galaxy S (Wolfson WM8994 DAC) with voodoo sound enabled for better DAC performance.

post #327 of 449

I know the 262 isn't a bass monster but it has just the right amount for me mostly because the texture is just very nice. I'm just wondering if the 272 is comparable or less/more in the lows, since you've had both could you enlighten me? Funny how you say you hate the rolled off high in the 262 since I am using them with a EQ boost in the high frequencies, it makes them a lot more sparkly. I'm hoping the 272's won't need that EQ and have sufficient highs as is.

post #328 of 449

272 highs are simply perfect. the mids are also very nice , the bass is kinda light but i can not compare it with the 262 lows as i had it more than 2 years ago - i remember how the highs were rolled off and the amazing mids.

i only boost the 272 lows one notch with my arrow 4G - if you can afford one refurbished 3G , go ahead and buy it - it will make your 262 shine.

 

both iems are great quality iems , imho.

too bad 272 was discontinued - i see people shelling out 300-400$ for hyped iems , makes me sad.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldgroot View Post
 

I know the 262 isn't a bass monster but it has just the right amount for me mostly because the texture is just very nice. I'm just wondering if the 272 is comparable or less/more in the lows, since you've had both could you enlighten me? Funny how you say you hate the rolled off high in the 262 since I am using them with a EQ boost in the high frequencies, it makes them a lot more sparkly. I'm hoping the 272's won't need that EQ and have sufficient highs as is.

post #329 of 449

I've bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of BRAND NEW! (/caps) RE-272's from Head-Direct. I had asked them if they might have some left in stock and they did! There were two left of which I just bought one, so if anybody is interested in a new pair then quickly e-mail them. I'm very curious to hear how the 262 and 272's compare.

post #330 of 449

this is a GREAT iem , so enjoy :D

 

only 2 left ? so no more warranty-backup pairs remaining ?

 

i wonder what happens if someone's 272 breaks down and he has warranty left ? will they give him a RE-600 instead ?

weird....

 

i also traded my re400 for a pair of 262 , as i wanna see how this 1-2 combo works - i also have a 4G Arrow which will definitely help the 262 shine on

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldgroot View Post
 

I've bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of BRAND NEW! (/caps) RE-272's from Head-Direct. I had asked them if they might have some left in stock and they did! There were two left of which I just bought one, so if anybody is interested in a new pair then quickly e-mail them. I'm very curious to hear how the 262 and 272's compare.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: