Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › European made dacs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

European made dacs - Page 8

post #106 of 124

Why, what evidence and experience do you have to make such a sweeping statement? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post


Oh no, dcs use internal power supply? MUST be a bad design !!!!
post #107 of 124

I presume you know the Latin meaning of your "handle"? wink_face.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapientiam View Post

. No I'm no Latin scholar - that was phased out at my school before I went there. I do enjoy singing ecclesiastical Latin though.

post #108 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post

Why, what evidence and experience do you have to make such a sweeping statement? 

 

 

I must have forgot to add this face biggrin.gif behind my statement, sorry.

 

Phew ..., this is a very serious topic it seems, almost got shot by a second.


Edited by RedBull - 9/7/12 at 8:26am
post #109 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post

I presume you know the Latin meaning of your "handle"? wink_face.gif

 

 

Well at the time I composed it I thought I did - something to do with wisdom.... right?

post #110 of 124

Yes and also  good taste, good sense, discernment, discretion, prudence, intelligence, forethought

 

Thats a lot to live up to beerchug.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapientiam View Post

 

Well at the time I composed it I thought I did - something to do with wisdom.... right?

post #111 of 124

Surely need to add:

 

dCS (UK)

Linn (UK)

Meridian (UK)

Audio Note (UK)

Cyrus (UK)


Edited by SleepyOne - 9/7/12 at 12:20pm
post #112 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post

Thats a lot to live up to beerchug.gif

 

 

No worries, if you notice me falling short just call me on it biggrin.gif

post #113 of 124

Abbingdon Music Research (UK)  DP-777. Own that one and love it. Tubed preamp + Dual DAC (NOS + HD).
 

post #114 of 124
post #115 of 124
I have the opportunity to buy a metronome technologie c20 dac, I know it went for several thousand dollars in 2003, I can pick it up for 700. Does anyone know about this dac? I will be using my laptop with USB/spdif converter to the dac to my vintage marantz 2250b. It has to be better than my maverick d1, right? If someone can chime in on this unit I would really appreciate it.
post #116 of 124
Thread Starter 

I've been away from this place for almost a year, seems i have some things to update :). Already started, good to see the thread is still growing! 

 

More reviews of metrum octave are showing up. Just read a few and it seems a really good piece of equipment, does anyone here have experience with it?


Edited by Stitch - 10/28/12 at 7:29pm
post #117 of 124

Yes I have had my Metrum Octave for some months now and simply amazed how well it performs. I have compared it to several DAC's costing 3 to 4 times as much, both upsampling and filterless and the Metrum offers a great all round performance. It gives a very natural sounding playback and cant wait to hear the new HEX if the performance of the Octave is anything to go by.  I was going to buy and Audio Note 2.1x signature which costs over 4000 Euro, but having compared the two side by side I really prefer the Metrum.  Its is very sensitive to the SPDIF cable though I have found and its important you use one which is true 75 ohm otherwise it will degrade the performance considerably.  You really should get hold of one and try it I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I am sure you will find many in the hifi trade quite dismissive of it, which makes me laugh at it shows their lack of objectivity, just because in the main its sold direct cutting out their 50 to 100 percent margin. However; there are a small but growing number of distributors and dealers who are now reselling the Metrum, so this is starting to push up prices.

 

I am always very skeptical of the the latest and greatest having been so disappointed over many years of audio hype.  The review in HIfi Critic gives a very fair view of what to expect from the Metrum Octave 

 

 

 

 

Metrum octave hifi critic.pdf 802k .pdf file

 

 

 

 

    

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

I've been away from this place for almost a year, seems i have some things to update :). Already started, good to see the thread is still growing! 

 

More reviews of metrum octave are showing up. Just read a few and it seems a really good piece of equipment, does anyone here have experience with it?


Edited by complin - 10/30/12 at 1:55am
post #118 of 124
Thread Starter 

I am one of those very sceptical about cables. I believe a good connection is a must but all the mumbo jumbo that i read in cablereviews is making me me laugh. I'm not saying "high grade"cables is bs, I just have to hear it for myself before i believe it.

The blue jeans cables i have now are great and for what i know 75ohm, will recheck.


Edited by Stitch - 10/30/12 at 7:08am
post #119 of 124

Although the type of cable can make an audiable difference its the 75 ohm impedance including the connectors which is important.  Unfortunately some cables sold as SPDIF are nothing more than a standard RCA with 100 ohm or more impedance. Some people are removing the RCA off the back of the DAC and replacing it with a bnc socket.  I have tried it with 3 good SPDIF cables, Madridal copper "fat boy", Black Cat Veloce silver/copper and the Van Den Hul The ultimate carbon.  They all sound slightly different, but at the moment prefer the VDH.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

I am one of those very sceptical about cables. I believe a good connection is a must but all the mumbo jumbo that i read in cablereviews is making me me laugh. I'm not saying "high grade"cables is bs, I just have to hear it for myself before i believe it.

The blue jeans cables i have now are great and for what i know 75ohm, will recheck.

post #120 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post

Although the type of cable can make an audiable difference its the 75 ohm impedance including the connectors which is important.  Unfortunately some cables sold as SPDIF are nothing more than a standard RCA with 100 ohm or more impedance. Some people are removing the RCA off the back of the DAC and replacing it with a bnc socket.  I have tried it with 3 good SPDIF cables, Madridal copper "fat boy", Black Cat Veloce silver/copper and the Van Den Hul The ultimate carbon.  They all sound slightly different, but at the moment prefer the VDH.  

 

 

The Van Den Hul is nice, but seriously outclassed by an XLO Limited LE-4 COAX cable.  I'd recommend you certainly give it a try.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › European made dacs