Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10??? - Page 52

post #766 of 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexv131994 View Post
 

Which is the best version of these with mic?

from what i'm been hearing 

 

your better off without the mic

 

the reviews i recall seeing are not favourable at all with the mic

 

which is surprising because all they did were add the mic but they might have changed something else

 

regardless

if you really need the mic, you should skip over the philips she3580-90

 

try the jvc fxr80, if you really need a mic (1 button works both for iphone and android) i recently got them from futureshop in canada for 39.99 when they normally retail for 90-100 i think, got them not too long ago and i find their superior to the philips in almost every way but they do cost more.

post #767 of 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

from what i'm been hearing 

 

your better off without the mic

 

the reviews i recall seeing are not favourable at all with the mic

 

which is surprising because all they did were add the mic but they might have changed something else

 

regardless

if you really need the mic, you should skip over the philips she3580-90

 

try the jvc fxr80, if you really need a mic (1 button works both for iphone and android) i recently got them from futureshop in canada for 39.99 when they normally retail for 90-100 i think, got them not too long ago and i find their superior to the philips in almost every way but they do cost more.


You're allways better off without the mic. The TRRS connectors are RF interference magnets on anything.

post #768 of 825

I decided to grab these seeing this topic (SHE3590BK's in Canada @Target)

Got to admit i was a bit disappointed :(

I have been using Sony MDREX35's last couple years almost daily and love those ($24.99 way back at Wallmart i think)

Before that i had used a pair similar from Sony that cost $96 at London Drugs (forgot model number)

Anyway i found the Philips earbuds to be hollow sounding to me, first warning sign of any cheaper headphone..

Yeah they have strong bass as advertised but so what lol

My current MDREX's have the same bass a seemingly more even output.

The SHE3590 sounds like there is too much mid-range to me.

I don't think i will use these and i am very tempted to return them.. although i see how some people may like them.

To back up a bit i use a Rockbox'd Sansa Fuze + with various Metal music and highest quality MP3's

and i use no EQ settings on my player of any kind not even Replay Gain.

I also bought the SHE3590's to replace the Sony MDREX10LP's i just bought and returned..

Pretty sure i would have liked those more if i had got a working pair of Sony earbuds (one side was way louder than the other)

I have had this issue with previous Sony earbuds too and i seen comments online about that, so if it wa not for that problem

i prob would not have gotten the Philips earbuds in the first place..

 

Anyway i think i need / want some new *working Sony earbuds..

 

Also the SHE3590 had what looked like some metal mesh on the speakers unlike the cheap Sonys that use a material composite.

The SHE's also had a funny / weird oval shape to the speaker opening compared to Sony's standard round style..

They both had similar ear tips but the Philips biggest one is a bit bigger than Sony's.. i put the Philips ear-tips on my Sony buds

and i got a more snug fit.. i may keep them just for the slightly larger ear-tip pieces

worth noting that both have this new style of one small vent hole on the bottom side of the earbud

where as my MDREX35's had 6 vent holes. I suspect this may affect sound quality.

The MDREX10's also have a cord de-tangler thing and a little bump on the plastic to show you by feel which is left or right.

and the Philips even has the hard to read small writing on the wrong side showing L or R (unlike Sony's earbuds)

edit:

Also the Philips had a straight plug and i like the bent plug on Sony's instead. (my returned MDREX10LP's did not come with a cord roll either)

 

I think Sony makes better sounding more thought out earbuds, BUT their quality control is a joke :(

 

Still searching for something else i guess..


Edited by Spoetnik - 1/9/14 at 2:12am
post #769 of 825

I tried the SHE3590 but mine were faulty, like someone else here experienced, there was a lot of static if the jack moved at all, and i think the cable connection to the plug did the same. They were decently clear, and sound ok on their own. But back to back with a set of Sennheiser CX 475 (which were twice the price) the SHE3590 was very narrow sounding, the CX 475 was in a different league, for not much more. That said the Sennheiser CX 475 is a little too bass biased but its fun cheap head phone. Seems to be cheap everywhere from the big name stores so you can avoid fakes. I've dropped mine and broke one housings. Thinking of trying sugru to repair it. 

post #770 of 825
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky191 View Post

I tried the SHE3590 but mine were faulty, like someone else here experienced, there was a lot of static if the jack moved at all, and i think the cable connection to the plug did the same. They were decently clear, and sound ok on their own. But back to back with a set of Sennheiser CX 475 (which were twice the price) the SHE3590 was very narrow sounding, the CX 475 was in a different league, for not much more. That said the Sennheiser CX 475 is a little too bass biased but its fun cheap head phone. Seems to be cheap everywhere from the big name stores so you can avoid fakes. I've dropped mine and broke one housings. Thinking of trying sugru to repair it. 

The jacks on the Philips are not gold plated and old stock can have a lot of invisible oxidation on it, leading to contact problems. You probably weren't hearing how they were supposed to sound. All you need to do is give the jack a good wipe with your shirt or some tissue. cool.gif
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 1/9/14 at 7:20am
post #771 of 825

Ah good tip. Thanks. 

post #772 of 825

You should use the Meelectronics double flange tips with 3590, the included tips are horrible.

Great difference in sound.

post #773 of 825

Two great tips .... (groan)

post #774 of 825

Just bought SHE 3590, after owning the 3580 previously over years. What I can tell right now is that, they sound a bit different. the fresh 3590 have sharper highs (maybe just because it is still really new), and it have less bass-y feeling compared to the 3580. The bass just way to different, less punchy and less overpowering compared to the 3580, and maybe just not enough for some people. 

 

I'm going to keep using these 3590 for awhile to see if they will get similar (to the 3580) later on after a long period of use.

post #775 of 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorodoe View Post
 

Just bought SHE 3590, after owning the 3580 previously over years. What I can tell right now is that, they sound a bit different. the fresh 3590 have sharper highs (maybe just because it is still really new), and it have less bass-y feeling compared to the 3580. The bass just way to different, less punchy and less overpowering compared to the 3580, and maybe just not enough for some people. 

 

I'm going to keep using these 3590 for awhile to see if they will get similar (to the 3580) later on after a long period of use.


Burn-in will fix that. Don't forget to use the double flange Meelectronics tips.

post #776 of 825

I tried the flanges didn't really work for me. 

post #777 of 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky191 View Post
 

I tried the flanges didn't really work for me. 


Keep trying other tips then, the default ones are horrendous.

post #778 of 825
Sony hybrid tips work well.
post #779 of 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsdaddy View Post

Sony hybrid tips work well.

i agree to some extent, the sony hybrids bump up the mid bass enough for me but i think it makes the mids a too recessed

 

i have yet to find an tip that can help with the mids, all the tips i have come across (believe me i have tried so many its not even funny) it plays around with the bass and the treble (mostly if anything smooth the treble out so the bass seems more emphasized)

 

i find that i would rather get a mid centric iem with good treble extension and then start tip rolling for more bass. but i'm happy with my collection atm

post #780 of 825
So I just bought another pair of these. Is it just me, or are the new batches of SHE3590s a lot more bass-light than before? Sure the level of detail and sub-bass is there but the mid-bass seems to have been toned down. My pair is sibilant as well. A very different signature from my first pair. I can't compare directly though, since my old pair is busted, so I'm speaking from memory.. Does the pair need burn-in or something?
Edited by nikkojames15 - 1/21/14 at 2:25am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???