- 527 Posts. Joined 12/2006
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/21/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/21/11
- productSOUL by Ludacris SL150CB High-Definition On-Ear Headphones (Black/Chrome)tagged by System, 7/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- Help Finding the Right Headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 11:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Soul Headphones by Ludacris Last post on 7/20/11 at 1:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbie looking for headphones just tried the Soul SL150/SL300, AH-D2000 & Sony XB300/500/1000 Last post on 1/1/12 at 1:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Souls by Ludacris - Beat by Dr. Dre parody? Last post on 1/5/12 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SOUL by Ludacris Headphones... Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Headphones.com reviews Soul by Ludacris - Page 2post #16 of 627/11/11 at 2:44amThey actually look like they tried, a little. I like the metal (esque?) accents. But I'm really getting tired of this one huge letter on the side. First the B, now an S? Real creative!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 627/11/11 at 3:18ampost #18 of 627/11/11 at 4:03am
Honestly why bother with these brands, id rather go for the tried and tested instead of going into uncharted waters and getting eaten by sharks. ( i dont care if theres a chance of finding treasure)post #19 of 627/11/11 at 5:56am
Dr.dre, P diddy, Justin biber, 50 cent. Lady gaga. Now ludacris.. what's point. None of them is able to carry on a successful music carrer. Ludacris did "baby" with justin biber, found out it doesnt work, now his is trying to sell headphones as well? I bet part from dr dre. none of them really know "sound" professionally.post #20 of 627/11/11 at 6:37amQuote:
I suspect I will get to further comparisons after I review the whole Soul line, but I'm not really convinced that the Audio Technica and Ultrasone models are really in the same market even with their bass-related reputations.
I recorded a hip hop act this weekend...well not truly recorded...more like the guy brought a few samples and I put up a mic in the booth and he did his thing and then we mixed it etc.
Afterwards, I had him listen to it back on a pair of HD800s. Then I had him listen to it back on the Soul SL150.
His preference: SL150
Are they the better headphone for me? No... of course not.
Do I know why he prefered the SL150? Yes.....a lot of people have been trained to accept more bass as better. In that sense a lot of people would prefer the SL150 to the SR009 or the Orpheus etc. That's why the market is so different.
For those looking to recreate the feeling of natural sound - an abundance of clearly rendered overtones - natural transients - low harmonic distortion - a flat frequency response....all these attributes are not something that the mass market is trained to appreciate or even aware of, and it's like a foreign concept to many people to suggest that something with less bass could be better sounding than something with more bass. I know that irks a lot of head-fiers and audiophiles. But it shouldn't because then you have companies creating products specifically designed for your tastes.
For what it is, the SL150 is a great value and the reason why is that it does what its market would like it do, for less money than its competitor does the same thing. However, to go one step further, the SL150 is just a bit better sounding than the competitor at the same price point. The type of consumer that will be considering Beats or Soul, is often not going to consider Ultrasone or Audio Technica.
Edited by DavidMahler - 7/11/11 at 6:38ampost #21 of 627/11/11 at 8:13am
Yea well headphones are a lot more about than just the frequency response balance (if it was then we could just invest in a high quality hardware EQ and just adjust the balance and save money), some headphones sound bad even if they are perfectly balanced. I don't treat frequency response and sound quality as the same thing, you can have good sounding bassheavy headphones and you can have bad sounding bassheavy headphones, which is it in this case? :p
There's no need to put them into different consumer markets, either they are good or bad products and all products can be directly compared to each other.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 7/11/11 at 8:17ampost #22 of 627/12/11 at 3:39pmQuote:
Because that's hardly fun.
I gave Fanny Wang a try and while I wasn't the biggest fan of the sound, at least I found out instead of wondering what the Wangs sound like.post #23 of 627/12/11 at 3:49pmI look at it this way....
Pretend headfi were a site dedicated to dining and fine eateries.
Even though you can get a better meal than mcdonalds, if a franchise came out with a new dish which challenged the Big Mac at its own game, it would have an audience and be perfecty worthy of praise. But it would be too far of a stretch to compare a Big Mac to a Morton's filet. The same can be said about cheaper meals. You can probably score a tastier meal for 10 bucks than mcdonalds meal but if the markets are different, it would be tough to justify a comparisonpost #24 of 627/15/11 at 4:09pmpost #25 of 627/15/11 at 5:37pmpost #26 of 627/15/11 at 10:30pmpost #27 of 627/16/11 at 12:02amQuote:
And that's where different opinions come in! its what makes the world go round <3!
post #28 of 628/1/11 at 12:05pmThread Starterpost #29 of 628/1/11 at 12:31pmpost #30 of 628/2/11 at 8:15amQuote:
Yes, the SL300 is a bit more mid forward than the the Beat Studios. The two headphones do sound a lot alike though.
- Headphones.com reviews Soul by Ludacris
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › PCM/DSD streaming music transport system D100 PRO SOUNDAWARE 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 7 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 9 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 12 minutes ago
- › What amplifier to get around 100 dollars? 12 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion 13 minutes ago
- › Looking for the right music gear 14 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...