or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Metrum Acoustics Octave
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Metrum Acoustics Octave - Page 38

post #556 of 706
Zen, how do you source your Metrum? mine is fed from Mac mini server flac quality with Audiorvanna plus pro into Audiophilleo 2 with pure power into Metrum and then into tube amp and three way floorstanders.
post #557 of 706

The  MDAC or Dacmagic  were connected using USB on my PC (JRiver +FLAC) and the Metrum was connected to their SPDIF out.  Both dacs were then connected to the Topping TP60.

post #558 of 706
Not the best idea to connect a superior dac via crappy ones. Connect it via USB to Coax converter and you will see its true potential.
post #559 of 706
Zen, not surprising you could not hear much difference, Metrum is very sensitive to adapters and using direct spdif out is bad idea. Sorry for telling this.
post #560 of 706

To be honest I am not convinced a "superior"  DAC should need an expensive USB converter to sound at its best. Most comments suggest the digital inputs on the Metrum are poorly designed.

post #561 of 706
That's what makes it such a bargain.
A good transport is a MUST for the Metrum but even then, it really fights way above its price.
It's in the territory of audio-gd in terms of value, which says a lot.
post #562 of 706

Works really well using SPDIF out of a decent CD transport or player. However; its sensitive to the the impedance as the output is transformer coupled. Need to make sure its a TRUE 75 Ohm cable. The VandenHull first MKII is a good choice. Also separate the power supply from the DAC don't stand them on top of each other. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Zen, not surprising you could not hear much difference, Metrum is very sensitive to adapters and using direct spdif out is bad idea. Sorry for telling this.

 

How do you justify such a comment that the digital inputs are poorly designed?

The MkI only has SPDIF so if you want to use USB then you have to use a converter. You don't think using a crap converter will compromise the sound? 

The Audiophilleo is certainly a well respected converter but there are alternatives like the JKenny https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/converter Cost: €385 + €20 shipping worldwide  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

To be honest I am not convinced a "superior"  DAC should need an expensive USB converter to sound at its best. Most comments suggest the digital inputs on the Metrum are poorly designed.

post #563 of 706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

To be honest I am not convinced a "superior"  DAC should need an expensive USB converter to sound at its best. Most comments suggest the digital inputs on the Metrum are poorly designed.

 

No, the comments suggest it needs a high quality source. 

post #564 of 706

sorry, my mistake. i meant good USB to SPDIF converter needed to feed Metrum from PC or Mac.

 

of course feeding from CDP or CDT all you need is good SPDIF cable.

 

all i can say Metrum has some magic to it and delivers very natural voices and piano, the whole presentation clearly on analogue side. my Naim CDX2 can punch bigger for rock and similar material but when it comes to smooth analogue like presentation Metrum delivers in spades.

 

in the past i auditioned good DACs including Dacmagic, rDac, Mytek DSD DAC, Rega and Naim DACs. all i can say neither Dacmagic nor rDAC could match Metrum, huge difference. Rega too sounds too dark and unclear in comparison. Naim DAC is the only one which excels in many areas. still for me ear Naim sounds more digital compared to Metrum with AP/PP. yes, Metrum has some limitations which become apparent when you climb up to 5$k DACs but under 4k this is best what i heard in terms of smooth analogue presentation. ah.... Mytek sounded too forward and digital to my ear, i actually liked Rega even better, sadly so because Mytek can DSD.


Edited by Gintaras - 12/1/13 at 12:50am
post #565 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

To be honest I am not convinced a "superior"  DAC should need an expensive USB converter to sound at its best. Most comments suggest the digital inputs on the Metrum are poorly designed.

 

Mate,

 

You connected a superior DAC, via a crappy one. How did you expect the Metrum to perform? Rubbish in, rubbish out, it is as simple as that. When you build a high quality system, do not expect a single quality component will  make all other components great as well. The chain is only as good as its weakest component. 

 

Also, the amp you have is not of the gighest quality and definitely nowhere near the level to bring out the goodness of your Octave, much below that level.

post #566 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
 

 

Mate,

 

You connected a superior DAC, via a crappy one. How did you expect the Metrum to perform? Rubbish in, rubbish out, it is as simple as that. When you build a high quality system, do not expect a single quality component will  make all other components great as well. The chain is only as good as its weakest component. 

 

Also, the amp you have is not of the gighest quality and definitely nowhere near the level to bring out the goodness of your Octave, much below that level.

 

not necessarily... we all have different taste and preferences. what good for me could be not for Zenpunk. my suggestion about transport was only a suggestion and does not guarantee Zen would like it.

 

for instance i heard some people go crazy about Mytek DSD DAC. i took Mytek (well burned copy) for audition from the merchant here but never liked it, i tried hard for a few days but in the end could not stand it. my wife also gave Mytek thumbs down. but... i can see what some dudes might like about Mytek apart from bargain price for DSD, this is detail extraction and forward presentation... but to me Mytek sounded too digital, way too much to bear.

 

on the other hand some people might complain about Metrum being not enough detailed and energetic... in same way some people find Naim CDP too dark for them.

for me musicality, stage layering and absence of digital notes and immediacy and dynamics is what i like ... i can skimp on some detailing though.

 

so could be that Zen paid attention to other things for which he saw less difference.

post #567 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
 

 

not necessarily... we all have different taste and preferences. what good for me could be not for Zenpunk. my suggestion about transport was only a suggestion and does not guarantee Zen would like it.

 

for instance i heard some people go crazy about Mytek DSD DAC. i took Mytek (well burned copy) for audition from the merchant here but never liked it, i tried hard for a few days but in the end could not stand it. my wife also gave Mytek thumbs down. but... i can see what some dudes might like about Mytek apart from bargain price for DSD, this is detail extraction and forward presentation... but to me Mytek sounded too digital, way too much to bear.

 

on the other hand some people might complain about Metrum being not enough detailed and energetic... in same way some people find Naim CDP too dark for them.

for me musicality, stage layering and absence of digital notes and immediacy and dynamics is what i like ... i can skimp on some detailing though.

 

so could be that Zen paid attention to other things for which he saw less difference.

 

Connecting crappy components to good ones and expecting something is not a matter of taste, it has NOTHING to do with taste. Connect it as it is supposed to be connected to qa quality chain of devices and only then see if you llike it or not.

post #568 of 706

I  would be curious to know what are those objective criteria you use to decide the  Metrum is a superior DAC compared to the MDAC.

Looking briefly at the circuit board and overall quality of both, some people might not share your view about which one is superior.

post #569 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

I  would be curious to know what are those objective criteria you use to decide the  Metrum is a superior DAC compared to the MDAC.

Looking briefly at the circuit board and overall quality of both, some people might not share your view about which one is superior.

 

It has nothing to do with hat the circuitry looks like. Octave has been reviewed multiple times, look those reviews up. It is one of the most natural sounding DACs out there.

 

Your way of comparing it to anything holds no value though, you need a proper setup to do that and not connect it to another DAC.

 

P.S. Not only my opinion that it is a superior DAC and not only up to its price range, but also above its price range. Check 6moons.

post #570 of 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post
 

I  would be curious to know what are those objective criteria you use to decide the  Metrum is a superior DAC compared to the MDAC.

Looking briefly at the circuit board and overall quality of both, some people might not share your view about which one is superior.

 

mate, i listened to both in my system and Metrum is indeed superior and this is not only compared to Dacmagic but also compared to Rega, Mytek, Calyx, W4S and a few less known DACs.

 

i wish i could tell otherwise because Metrum + AP2PP brings the price close to 2k $$$, so i really had to make my decision and i made it for Metrum. there is no reason i would talk up Metrum.

 

more so i had Rega DAC and liked it over Dacmagic and Mytek by a good margin. and Rega is below Metrum in any respect except for digital inputs selection.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Metrum Acoustics Octave