Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Metrum Acoustics Octave
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Metrum Acoustics Octave - Page 35

post #511 of 612

thanks, i do think Pure Power makes Ap2 sound amazing, not sure Audio-GD would be as good.

 

anyway, it's all about music and i could not be happier with both Metrum and Audiophilleo, stunning result and very much closer to vinyl which i love. ... oh and voices... voices are the best part of it, simply surreal :-D

post #512 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

thanks, i do think Pure Power makes Ap2 sound amazing, not sure Audio-GD would be as good.

 

anyway, it's all about music and i could not be happier with both Metrum and Audiophilleo, stunning result and very much closer to vinyl which i love. ... oh and voices... voices are the best part of it, simply surreal :-D

 

Piano should be very good as well wink.gif

post #513 of 612
yes, piano is sounding very true-like too and voices are beyond imaginary. highly recommended combination especially with tube amp. truly rivals Naim in dynamics and tonal richness, Naim DAC still has the edge in imaging and layering but gosh how small the difference became taking into account almost elephantic price difference with Naim going for 5k and Metrum with Ap-PP for just a bit under 2k if counting in dollars, ok Naim functionality would be a solid bonus but for 3k??? Come on ...

i am happy as pig, anyone wanting huge upgrade in sound should try this, really you cannot go wrong unless you tap into upper 5k territory where choices would be more, i dare to say under 3k nothing really can come close IMHO.

And Audiophilleo will make good difference too so do not spare on USB to Spdif converters, just go for the best straight.
Edited by Gintaras - 7/16/13 at 7:38am
post #514 of 612

Any compared the metrum hex to meitner ma-1,lampi dac 4, QuteHD.. 

 

i'm not looking for in your face sound but more realistic stage sound for home studio electronic production work...

 

for now i'm leaning toward QuteHD, Synchro-Mesh, linear PS or battery

or Metrum HEX only

 

or just Metrum octave mk2 and invest in others stuff

 

I had the gungnir so this is my reference for now.. (if you tried it)


Edited by Audiolic - 8/9/13 at 6:53pm
post #515 of 612
you put mega buck and 1k DACs into same basket?
Metrum Hex, Lampizator or Meitner are all first class expensive DACs but Octave or Gungnir are 1k.
For studio i am not sure which one, perhpas a used DAC from Weiss pro series would be better, for listen only any of DACs you named get rave responses. I have Octave and i am happy as pig. Hex or Meitner get big huha as finest and cost much more too. But using for recording listen pro work is different story. IMHO
post #516 of 612
The more i listen to Metrum Octave the more i am astonished by its supersonics. I heard quite a few DACs but never heard i so analogue digital-free sounding DAC irrespective of the price, period. Cees from Matrum is a magician. I now thinking about Hex purchase because if small Metrum sounds like this then Hex must be a real bomb. Boys, i repeat it, analogue into my silly ears, i am sensitive to digital contour in music and what Metrum does is entirely eliminates it, it may be not the most revealing or spacious sounding DAC but it is the most analogue sounding DAC i heard to date. Poor me :-)
post #517 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

The more i listen to Metrum Octave the more i am astonished by its supersonics. I heard quite a few DACs but never heard i so analogue digital-free sounding DAC irrespective of the price, period. Cees from Matrum is a magician. I now thinking about Hex purchase because if small Metrum sounds like this then Hex must be a real bomb. Boys, i repeat it, analogue into my silly ears, i am sensitive to digital contour in music and what Metrum does is entirely eliminates it, it may be not the most revealing or spacious sounding DAC but it is the most analogue sounding DAC i heard to date. Poor me :-)

I totally agree

Just got one about 2 weeks ago--It make every CD I own like a live performance,some of which I've been listening for years-I'm now hearing backround & clarity like never before

With my Taboo>Metrum>HD800..I think I'm at end game.

 

Many thanks-Paradoxper !!!!!

post #518 of 612

So anybody tried the Audio gd Master 7 against the metrum hex (both burn in)?

post #519 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

The more i listen to Metrum Octave the more i am astonished by its supersonics. I heard quite a few DACs but never heard i so analogue digital-free sounding DAC irrespective of the price, period. Cees from Matrum is a magician. I now thinking about Hex purchase because if small Metrum sounds like this then Hex must be a real bomb. Boys, i repeat it, analogue into my silly ears, i am sensitive to digital contour in music and what Metrum does is entirely eliminates it, it may be not the most revealing or spacious sounding DAC but it is the most analogue sounding DAC i heard to date. Poor me :-)
Agreed.
Even the Eximus DP1 - which is said to be an octave on steroid - doesn't have that anti-digital/analog sound of the Metrum.
I really want that HEX!
post #520 of 612

I understand the HEX is very good but in relation to the price difference dont expect a huge difference over the Octave. IMO the Octave offers by far the best bang for the buck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post


Agreed.
Even the Eximus DP1 - which is said to be an octave on steroid - doesn't have that anti-digital/analog sound of the Metrum.
I really want that HEX!
post #521 of 612
I'm not so sure.
Those who heard/reviewed it tend to say the HEX is in another league entirely and still a bargain in the league it belongs to.
Of course, diminishing return is low at this price but those who value the changes a DAC can make might consider the HEX as a significant upgrade over the Octave and justify its price point.

On a side note: I got a Chord QuteHD recently and I'm loving it. It certainly isn't in the same class as either the NFB-27 or DP1 - in a technical standpoint - but it sounds so real and musical that it doesn't matter much.
The last time I described a DAC with such attribute, I'm pretty sure the Metrum Quad was it ;-)
post #522 of 612

I have just read through this whole thread, and it is making my wait for the HEX, ordered last week, even harder.............The HEX is going to accompany the V800 Dac, I am using now, which I find pretty smooth sounding comparatively.

 

I was wondering whether Windows users are using the Fidelizer app?     http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer/     Really cleans and opens up the sonicsbigsmile_face.gif

post #523 of 612

I'm thinking about selling my PWD mk2 and Master 7 for either the HEX/Alpha USB or the Alpha DAC2/Alpha USB.  confused.gif

post #524 of 612
Selling the M7?! redface.gif
Put me on the list if it's still there by end of October!
post #525 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Selling the M7?! redface.gif
Put me on the list if it's still there by end of October!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I'm thinking about selling my PWD mk2 and Master 7 for either the HEX/Alpha USB or the Alpha DAC2/Alpha USB.  confused.gif

 

 

biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Metrum Acoustics Octave