Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Metrum Acoustics Octave
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Metrum Acoustics Octave - Page 27

post #391 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

I have a Lite Audio Dac-83 I like the Metrum over them.

Mmm... That's interesting. Would you mind elaborating a little bit for me?

post #392 of 612

I've just pulled the trigger on an MK1 Octave. Yes, I couldn't resist the sale price XD

I am wondering what USB converters people have found a good synergy with the Octave?

Thanks!

 

post #393 of 612

I have used both the MF V-Link 192 and the Audiophilleo 2....the Audiophilleo is far superior but at more than twice the price.....

post #394 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Animal View Post

I've just pulled the trigger on an MK1 Octave. Yes, I couldn't resist the sale price XD

I am wondering what USB converters people have found a good synergy with the Octave?

Thanks!

 

The Stello U3 and Audiophilleo 2 have very good synergy with the Octave. I've tried both and found they are on par in sonic performance.

 

If you are rolling in cash you can try SoTM's DDC with built-in clock and separate power supply, or Audiophilleo 1 with PurePower (both of which cost around $1.5K). Of course, it would make more sense to invest in a more advanced DAC first if you have that much money.

post #395 of 612

Leaning towards the MF V-link 192 or the Stello  to get in on the cheaper side while the Metrum breaks-in and settles. Then deciding what if anything is needed from there. 

 

Thanks for the suggestions

post #396 of 612

  I'm in an un-decisive state right now.  I'm currently switching between an Audio-gd NFB-2 and an Ultra-Fi DAC 41 (which is Larry Moore's next generation of the Tranquility, but he's gone in a slightly different direction than Eric Hider at dB Audiolabs - but that's a whole other story...).  

 

  Anyway, now I have an opportunity to buy a used Octave.  But for about 50% more I could get the new MKII.  Anyone have any experiences they could share comparing these DACs?

 

  The NFB-2 and DAC 41 both have their strengths and weaknesses.  The DAC 41 is a NOS DAC limited to 44.1/16, but this doesn't seem to be a problem at all.  It's smoother, it has more detail, more air, instrument separation and it's more 3 dimensional.  But it has less dynamic punch, everything is kind of smoothed out and sightly homogenized.  It's like when you hear a mix that's TOO perfect, it lacks the strong sharp peaks and the warm, deep valleys.   Don't mistake this for dynamic range, it has great range, it's the impact and quickness, or lack thereof.  This is a big problem for me, because while the NFB-2 is inferior in every other way, it does have that impact and in the end it's sounding more realistic to me.  I haven't given up on the DAC 41, there are some things I need to play with first.

 

  But now the Octave comes on my radar and from what I can glean from this thread and reviews, it sound like it's exactly what I'm looking for.  If I had the $$ I'd probably just go for the Audio-gd Master 7.  BTW, anyone compare the Master 7 to the Hex?  

  I might be able to justify the cost of the MkII, but as others have pointed out, it may not be worth the extra cost.  But here's something to consider:  The MkII with the upgraded USB receiver should have more inherent quality potential than an Octave with a DI. I have the Stello U3, so I'm set there.  But these boxes put you into S/PDIF which, from what I've read, is not as good an interface as a well implemented USB interface.  So no matter what, with the Octave you are stuck with S/PDIF.

  And then you have to wonder if that's really an issue considering that Cees himself says there's only a slight difference.  I'd like to hear a comparison of the MkII via upgraded USB and the MkII with a Stello to S/PDIF.  Then how much of a difference would there be?

post #397 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by philo50 View Post

I have used both the MF V-Link 192 and the Audiophilleo 2....the Audiophilleo is far superior but at more than twice the price.....


Hmm might I ask why are you using the conductor with the he-6? Did you try the octave -> soloist/conductor -> he6 and don't like it? tongue_smile.gif

 

Regarding the USB thing, I don't think the Ap1+ PP/SoTM + PSU is worth it. I'm using a AP1 atm with the Octave, and the improvement over the previous converters (Resonnessence Concero/Ap2/Sotm) is so small that it's not worth the extra bucks.

 

 

 

Quote:
And then you have to wonder if that's really an issue considering that Cees himself says there's only a slight difference. I'd like to hear a comparison of the MkII via upgraded USB and the MkII with a Stello to S/PDIF. Then how much of a difference would there be?


The upgraded USB is a Hiface 2 OEM board with small tweak to the power; so at best it's still going to be worse than the JKSPDIF mk3. Unfortunately I've never tried the Stello so I can't really help you there =p.


Edited by khaine1711 - 3/29/13 at 10:35am
post #398 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post


Hmm might I ask why are you using the conductor with the he-6? Did you try the octave -> soloist/conductor -> he6 and don't like it? tongue_smile.gif

 

Regarding the USB thing, I don't think the Ap1+ PP/SoTM + PSU is worth it. I'm using a AP1 atm with the Octave, and the improvement over the previous converters (Resonnessence Concero/Ap2/Sotm) is so small that it's not worth the extra bucks.

 

 

 


The upgraded USB is a Hiface 2 OEM board with small tweak to the power; so at best it's still going to be worse than the JKSPDIF mk3. Unfortunately I've never tried the Stello so I can't really help you there =p.

I have used the HE-6 with the Octave/Soloist and it was ok.....very much prefer it with the Conductor....as my chains are very similar I ascribe it to the HE-6 preferring the sabre 32 dac to the Octave....for what its worth, and at the risk of offending all those who say you need a speaker amp to drive the HE-6, the Conductor does a very nice job....keep in mind though that I listen at moderate volume and my tastes run to jazz,acoustic and blues....

post #399 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by philo50 View Post

I have used the HE-6 with the Octave/Soloist and it was ok.....very much prefer it with the Conductor....as my chains are very similar I ascribe it to the HE-6 preferring the sabre 32 dac to the Octave....for what its worth, and at the risk of offending all those who say you need a speaker amp to drive the HE-6, the Conductor does a very nice job....keep in mind though that I listen at moderate volume and my tastes run to jazz,acoustic and blues....


No worries, I'm not in that extremist camp =p. I just happen to like speaker amp due to the variety of choices. I'll try getting a demo Conductor to see how it fares. Can it be inferred that you found the Conductor -> Hd800 not as good as the octave?

 

I'm having mixed feelings about the Octave + He-6 pairing. I think it's "soft" sounding for a lack of better words - not that it's a bad thing. Atm I'm even preferring the Chord QuteHd on USB to the AP1 + Octave. Could be a transport synergy thingy.

post #400 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post


No worries, I'm not in that extremist camp =p. I just happen to like speaker amp due to the variety of choices. I'll try getting a demo Conductor to see how it fares. Can it be inferred that you found the Conductor -> Hd800 not as good as the octave?

 

I'm having mixed feelings about the Octave + He-6 pairing. I think it's "soft" sounding for a lack of better words - not that it's a bad thing. Atm I'm even preferring the Chord QuteHd on USB to the AP1 + Octave. Could be a transport synergy thingy.

I have found the Conductor very good with all of my phones,including the 800's....but I will say the Octave/Soloist/HD-800 combination is superlative and the best sound I can manage with my equipment

post #401 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

The upgraded USB is a Hiface 2 OEM board with small tweak to the power; so at best it's still going to be worse than the JKSPDIF mk3. Unfortunately I've never tried the Stello so I can't really help you there =p.

Isn't this the same USB OEM board that came from the HEX? And it gets rave reviews in that context. So what's wrong it?
post #402 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingBlade View Post


Isn't this the same USB OEM board that came from the HEX? And it gets rave reviews in that context. So what's wrong it?


The USB board in the Hex draws power from the Hex PSU. The mk2 usb however does not,and draw power from the USB bus instead - not that it's bad, it just isn't good as the Hex's implementation and stand-alone SPDIF converters (which most of original octave owners have one). It's an attractive option if you don't have a transport though.

post #403 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

The upgraded USB is a Hiface 2 OEM board with small tweak to the power; so at best it's still going to be worse than the JKSPDIF mk3. Unfortunately I've never tried the Stello so I can't really help you there =p.

I also have the Mapleshade modded Hiface 2 and the Stello blows it away.  I was not expecting such a significant improvement, it was a real surprise.  So it does concern me a little that the MkII is using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

The USB board in the Hex draws power from the Hex PSU. The mk2 usb however does not,and draw power from the USB bus instead - not that it's bad, it just isn't good as the Hex's implementation and stand-alone SPDIF converters (which most of original octave owners have one). It's an attractive option if you don't have a transport though.

I didn't realize that.  I wonder if the ifi iUSBPower supply would help.

post #404 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post


The USB board in the Hex draws power from the Hex PSU. The mk2 usb however does not,and draw power from the USB bus instead - not that it's bad, it just isn't good as the Hex's implementation and stand-alone SPDIF converters (which most of original octave owners have one). It's an attractive option if you don't have a transport though.

 

Where did you get that info?

post #405 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Where did you get that info?

 

I'm curious too. I was also under the impression that the optional USB module in Octave MK II gets powered from the DAC's in-built transformer (like Hex), not via direct USB. So where did you get that info?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Metrum Acoustics Octave