I am looking to invest in some new headphones but I dont want to carry an amp with me everywhere I go. I currently use Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and UE triple fi 10's, but I am looking for cans that are still somewhat small and portable, mainly grados. So my main question is, will I need an amp? Which models would require one if I were to be using an ipod. Are their any other suggestions as far as other brands and models that are still pretty "small"? I basically dont know much about cans.
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- M-Audio Q40 vs Grado SR80 vs Grado SR60 & other suggestions Last post on 8/20/11 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i) Last post on 11/2/11 at 10:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction: I was asked by Brainwavz’/GPGSHK’s Pandora whether I was interested in reviewing their latest Brainwavz product, the Kidwavz KV100 that was especially designed for kids, so I...
At the time of the review, the Brainwavz Jive earphone was was on sale at Amazon’s website for $25.00 USD. Here is a link to Their listing of the...
You got a budget? You want Bluetooth Earphones? Buy the Qy7. Simple. Done. Easy. There is a little more to it though. Important features is the V4.1 Bluetooth connection, this...
What is Cozoy Aegis?: Did you remember Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP? Well this is the brother of it Aegis (right) Aegis (left) and Astrapi (right) Cozoy Aegis is a...
You probably already know OPPO as a smartphone brand, but the company called OPPO Digital isn’t exactly the same. It is the American sister company of the Chinese smartphone company, and its main...
Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?post #1 of 107/3/11 at 11:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/3/11 at 11:36am
1) You don't need an amp for SR80 or SR125.
2) As i understand you need portable headphones. Does that means you want to use them in public places? If so then Grados may not be the best idea as they are open back - no isolation and leaks sounds every which way. In case you wondering about other options these two threads may help:
Short list of portables that some people here like (and why):
A massive list of portable headphones compared:post #3 of 107/3/11 at 12:25pmpost #4 of 107/3/11 at 2:23pm
Grados are not really portable. They have a 5' thick garden hose cable you'd have to either stuff into your pocket or your bag if you're carrying one. You'd have to run them at higher volumes so that won't be kind to your hearing either.
As for needing an amp, I've never found any of mine to need an amp, but the reason people suggest it is because they're good enough to scale with amplification properly.
If you can buy an SR125, you can afford a lot of other portables which will cost less. I still only wear IEM's outside and seeing that you have TF.10's you're already more than properly equipped on that front!post #5 of 107/3/11 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #6 of 107/3/11 at 2:46pmpost #7 of 107/3/11 at 3:04pmpost #8 of 107/4/11 at 11:16amThread Starter
Well now I dont think i will be getting Grado due to it being open back. I have narrowed down my list to Sennheiser HD25, HD 558, HD 598. Anyone else have suggestions? Of these, which is better?
I was also looking at Shure SRH940.
Edited by TheRealBoat - 7/4/11 at 11:20ampost #9 of 107/4/11 at 11:26am
HD 558/598 are also open back headphones, so that makes the HD25-1 an easy choice i suppose. I see you already have a TF10, keep in mind that the HD25-1 (or any fullsize headphone for that matter) might sound worse to your ears than the TF10 when unamped. Although the Senns are very easy to drive, I found they really need more power behind them to be able to keep up with the TF10.
- Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Best $1000 headphones for O2+ODAC? 3 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 18 seconds ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 1 minute ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 6 minutes ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 7 minutes ago
- › "Best" USB DAC/Amp for $300 or less 7 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 7 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 7 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2