I am looking to invest in some new headphones but I dont want to carry an amp with me everywhere I go. I currently use Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and UE triple fi 10's, but I am looking for cans that are still somewhat small and portable, mainly grados. So my main question is, will I need an amp? Which models would require one if I were to be using an ipod. Are their any other suggestions as far as other brands and models that are still pretty "small"? I basically dont know much about cans.
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- M-Audio Q40 vs Grado SR80 vs Grado SR60 & other suggestions Last post on 8/20/11 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i) Last post on 11/2/11 at 10:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?post #1 of 107/3/11 at 11:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/3/11 at 11:36am
1) You don't need an amp for SR80 or SR125.
2) As i understand you need portable headphones. Does that means you want to use them in public places? If so then Grados may not be the best idea as they are open back - no isolation and leaks sounds every which way. In case you wondering about other options these two threads may help:
Short list of portables that some people here like (and why):
A massive list of portable headphones compared:post #3 of 107/3/11 at 12:25pmpost #4 of 107/3/11 at 2:23pm
Grados are not really portable. They have a 5' thick garden hose cable you'd have to either stuff into your pocket or your bag if you're carrying one. You'd have to run them at higher volumes so that won't be kind to your hearing either.
As for needing an amp, I've never found any of mine to need an amp, but the reason people suggest it is because they're good enough to scale with amplification properly.
If you can buy an SR125, you can afford a lot of other portables which will cost less. I still only wear IEM's outside and seeing that you have TF.10's you're already more than properly equipped on that front!post #5 of 107/3/11 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #6 of 107/3/11 at 2:46pmpost #7 of 107/3/11 at 3:04pmpost #8 of 107/4/11 at 11:16amThread Starter
Well now I dont think i will be getting Grado due to it being open back. I have narrowed down my list to Sennheiser HD25, HD 558, HD 598. Anyone else have suggestions? Of these, which is better?
I was also looking at Shure SRH940.
Edited by TheRealBoat - 7/4/11 at 11:20ampost #9 of 107/4/11 at 11:26am
HD 558/598 are also open back headphones, so that makes the HD25-1 an easy choice i suppose. I see you already have a TF10, keep in mind that the HD25-1 (or any fullsize headphone for that matter) might sound worse to your ears than the TF10 when unamped. Although the Senns are very easy to drive, I found they really need more power behind them to be able to keep up with the TF10.
- Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 17 seconds ago
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 4 minutes ago
- › Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Best System Synergy For CHORD MOJO (and possibly Hugo) -... 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...