I am looking to invest in some new headphones but I dont want to carry an amp with me everywhere I go. I currently use Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and UE triple fi 10's, but I am looking for cans that are still somewhat small and portable, mainly grados. So my main question is, will I need an amp? Which models would require one if I were to be using an ipod. Are their any other suggestions as far as other brands and models that are still pretty "small"? I basically dont know much about cans.
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- M-Audio Q40 vs Grado SR80 vs Grado SR60 & other suggestions Last post on 8/20/11 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i) Last post on 11/2/11 at 10:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preamble: I have a set of around 30 – 40 tracks all in the FLAC from varying genres that I use as my test reference playlist. I try to cover as many genres and stick to recordings that have good...
At the time this review was written, the Earsonics S-EM9 was listed for sale on Musicteck’s online store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
The FiiO A1 is a nice addition to a smartphone setup.It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. it doesn't extend very well and bass and treble is left...
Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?post #1 of 107/3/11 at 11:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/3/11 at 11:36am
1) You don't need an amp for SR80 or SR125.
2) As i understand you need portable headphones. Does that means you want to use them in public places? If so then Grados may not be the best idea as they are open back - no isolation and leaks sounds every which way. In case you wondering about other options these two threads may help:
Short list of portables that some people here like (and why):
A massive list of portable headphones compared:post #3 of 107/3/11 at 12:25pmpost #4 of 107/3/11 at 2:23pm
Grados are not really portable. They have a 5' thick garden hose cable you'd have to either stuff into your pocket or your bag if you're carrying one. You'd have to run them at higher volumes so that won't be kind to your hearing either.
As for needing an amp, I've never found any of mine to need an amp, but the reason people suggest it is because they're good enough to scale with amplification properly.
If you can buy an SR125, you can afford a lot of other portables which will cost less. I still only wear IEM's outside and seeing that you have TF.10's you're already more than properly equipped on that front!post #5 of 107/3/11 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #6 of 107/3/11 at 2:46pmpost #7 of 107/3/11 at 3:04pmpost #8 of 107/4/11 at 11:16amThread Starter
Well now I dont think i will be getting Grado due to it being open back. I have narrowed down my list to Sennheiser HD25, HD 558, HD 598. Anyone else have suggestions? Of these, which is better?
I was also looking at Shure SRH940.
Edited by TheRealBoat - 7/4/11 at 11:20ampost #9 of 107/4/11 at 11:26am
HD 558/598 are also open back headphones, so that makes the HD25-1 an easy choice i suppose. I see you already have a TF10, keep in mind that the HD25-1 (or any fullsize headphone for that matter) might sound worse to your ears than the TF10 when unamped. Although the Senns are very easy to drive, I found they really need more power behind them to be able to keep up with the TF10.
- Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 15 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 30 seconds ago
- › Best value for money headphones for £40 or $40 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Reference 10 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 5 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 6 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80, Audio Technica IM02, or...? 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 7 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 4 by Krisman
- › Earsonics - S-EM9 in-ear Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...