I am looking to invest in some new headphones but I dont want to carry an amp with me everywhere I go. I currently use Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and UE triple fi 10's, but I am looking for cans that are still somewhat small and portable, mainly grados. So my main question is, will I need an amp? Which models would require one if I were to be using an ipod. Are their any other suggestions as far as other brands and models that are still pretty "small"? I basically dont know much about cans.
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- M-Audio Q40 vs Grado SR80 vs Grado SR60 & other suggestions Last post on 8/20/11 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i) Last post on 11/2/11 at 10:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction – The first Soundlink Mini was quite an important product in the portable Bluetooth speaker landscape, it was one of the first speakers to use two opposing passive radiators and also...
Part 1 - TORTURE TEST So, have you ever heard the noise from an old laptop's hard drive spinning-up, or the electronic "chirp" of your mouse cursor moving across your screen during music...
FiiO EM3Comfort is King DisclaimerThe EM3 was a review unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to record my thoughts and impressions on how I found the...
I have had this amp now for about 6 months, and I very much enjoy the sound. I didn't even bother with the stock tubes, they got tossed in favor of a matched pair of GE 5657's, and I have a pair of...
Rhapsodio Solar Note: The custom in-ear in this review was provided at a discounted rate. Rhapsodio is an up and coming manufacturer of both custom in-ears and custom-like universals....
Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?post #1 of 107/3/11 at 11:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/3/11 at 11:36am
1) You don't need an amp for SR80 or SR125.
2) As i understand you need portable headphones. Does that means you want to use them in public places? If so then Grados may not be the best idea as they are open back - no isolation and leaks sounds every which way. In case you wondering about other options these two threads may help:
Short list of portables that some people here like (and why):
A massive list of portable headphones compared:post #3 of 107/3/11 at 12:25pmpost #4 of 107/3/11 at 2:23pm
Grados are not really portable. They have a 5' thick garden hose cable you'd have to either stuff into your pocket or your bag if you're carrying one. You'd have to run them at higher volumes so that won't be kind to your hearing either.
As for needing an amp, I've never found any of mine to need an amp, but the reason people suggest it is because they're good enough to scale with amplification properly.
If you can buy an SR125, you can afford a lot of other portables which will cost less. I still only wear IEM's outside and seeing that you have TF.10's you're already more than properly equipped on that front!post #5 of 107/3/11 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #6 of 107/3/11 at 2:46pmpost #7 of 107/3/11 at 3:04pmpost #8 of 107/4/11 at 11:16amThread Starter
Well now I dont think i will be getting Grado due to it being open back. I have narrowed down my list to Sennheiser HD25, HD 558, HD 598. Anyone else have suggestions? Of these, which is better?
I was also looking at Shure SRH940.
Edited by TheRealBoat - 7/4/11 at 11:20ampost #9 of 107/4/11 at 11:26am
HD 558/598 are also open back headphones, so that makes the HD25-1 an easy choice i suppose. I see you already have a TF10, keep in mind that the HD25-1 (or any fullsize headphone for that matter) might sound worse to your ears than the TF10 when unamped. Although the Senns are very easy to drive, I found they really need more power behind them to be able to keep up with the TF10.
- Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 55 seconds ago
- › Best Studio Headphones 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 8 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 10 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 11 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 11 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 15 minutes ago
- › What will the new DX200 look like? Dec 23, new images on page 1. 15 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 16 minutes ago
- › Fake Senheiser IE800? 16 minutes ago
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › iFi iPurifier 2 by knorris908
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by RedJohn456
- › Little Dot I+ by Shasari
- › Rhapsodio Solar by shotgunshane
- › Superlux HD-660 by Wiljen
- › ACS T1 by Docjitters
- › QKZ W1 Pro - In-ear sport headphone by B9Scrambler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mechgamer123
- › Dunu TITAN 5 by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse