I am looking to invest in some new headphones but I dont want to carry an amp with me everywhere I go. I currently use Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and UE triple fi 10's, but I am looking for cans that are still somewhat small and portable, mainly grados. So my main question is, will I need an amp? Which models would require one if I were to be using an ipod. Are their any other suggestions as far as other brands and models that are still pretty "small"? I basically dont know much about cans.
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- M-Audio Q40 vs Grado SR80 vs Grado SR60 & other suggestions Last post on 8/20/11 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i) Last post on 11/2/11 at 10:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero By NLNH around April 16th. I received...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?post #1 of 107/3/11 at 11:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/3/11 at 11:36am
1) You don't need an amp for SR80 or SR125.
2) As i understand you need portable headphones. Does that means you want to use them in public places? If so then Grados may not be the best idea as they are open back - no isolation and leaks sounds every which way. In case you wondering about other options these two threads may help:
Short list of portables that some people here like (and why):
A massive list of portable headphones compared:post #3 of 107/3/11 at 12:25pmpost #4 of 107/3/11 at 2:23pm
Grados are not really portable. They have a 5' thick garden hose cable you'd have to either stuff into your pocket or your bag if you're carrying one. You'd have to run them at higher volumes so that won't be kind to your hearing either.
As for needing an amp, I've never found any of mine to need an amp, but the reason people suggest it is because they're good enough to scale with amplification properly.
If you can buy an SR125, you can afford a lot of other portables which will cost less. I still only wear IEM's outside and seeing that you have TF.10's you're already more than properly equipped on that front!post #5 of 107/3/11 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #6 of 107/3/11 at 2:46pmpost #7 of 107/3/11 at 3:04pmpost #8 of 107/4/11 at 11:16amThread Starter
Well now I dont think i will be getting Grado due to it being open back. I have narrowed down my list to Sennheiser HD25, HD 558, HD 598. Anyone else have suggestions? Of these, which is better?
I was also looking at Shure SRH940.
Edited by TheRealBoat - 7/4/11 at 11:20ampost #9 of 107/4/11 at 11:26am
HD 558/598 are also open back headphones, so that makes the HD25-1 an easy choice i suppose. I see you already have a TF10, keep in mind that the HD25-1 (or any fullsize headphone for that matter) might sound worse to your ears than the TF10 when unamped. Although the Senns are very easy to drive, I found they really need more power behind them to be able to keep up with the TF10.
- Grado sr80i/sr125i require an amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 3 seconds ago
- › Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 48 seconds ago
- › HifiMan HE1000 HE400i Aftermarket Mod 1 minute ago
- › I did my own listening test...four formats...did I hear a difference? 3 minutes ago
- › Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) 3 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 6 minutes ago
- › Using 12AX7 in 6922 Amp with tube converter? 7 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 7 minutes ago
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...