Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Amp'd Sansa Fuze w/LOD vs S:Flo2 vs HM-601 for DT770 PRO 80 ohms.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp'd Sansa Fuze w/LOD vs S:Flo2 vs HM-601 for DT770 PRO 80 ohms.

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey guys!

 

Name's Alex. I'm new to Head-fi and the wonderful world of hi-fi! I'm very excited to join a community of fellow audiophiles and looking forward to hearing all of your great opinions!

 

As of this moment, I have a pair of DT770 PRO 80s that I love to death. My "setup" (if you could even call it that) at this moment, is simply my laptop as my source and my headphones.  Seeing as I can't stand bringing my laptop everywhere with me, I am in the market for a good portable rig. I have come to the conclusion that these three aforementioned DAPs

 

1) AMpd Sansa Fuze w/ LOD

2) S:Flo2

3) HM-601

 

are some of the more popular and recommended DAPs. 

 

With consideration of my headphones, what would you guys suggest?

 

My budget is <$300 so any other suggested set up would be wonderful! 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 12

Why not just go with the Cowon J3?  Plenty of power to push the full size cans.  You can get the 32gb version for 244 on Amazon and then add another 32gb via MicroSD for another 60 or so.  64gb for a little over 300 with some fantastic sound is tough to beat in a compact package.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

I read that the J3 does NOT have a line-out function, something that i would like for future rigs. I should have specified this function in my post.

post #4 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateBEATS View Post

I read that the J3 does NOT have a line-out function, something that i would like for future rigs. I should have specified this function in my post.


This is true.

 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

BTW, much respect for a fellow atmosphere fan! SLUG ftw!! ;]

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

The amps being considered are the PA2V2, and the Little Dot Mk1+

post #7 of 12

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateBEATS View Post

BTW, much respect for a fellow atmosphere fan! SLUG ftw!! ;]


Haha...yeah.  Love em.  Was about to see Murs (his partner from their group Felt) this weekend in my hometown, but dude cancelled his show like three days ahead of time.  So disappointed. 

 

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

what a shame man.....would've been a great show!

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

bump

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateBEATS View Post

bump



I haven't heard the Hifiman 601 so I can't comment on it. I do own an Sflo2 and a sansa fuze and use them both via line out with my UHA4 slimline amp. The Sflo2 wins hands down sound quality wise. Using the line out you have no treble roll off and it is very powerful. I find using the user flat setting the best which lowers the gain. The sansa fuze does sound great as well don't get me wrong and for the price its hard to beat. But I only use mp3 files on the fuze while I use flac on the sflo2. The Sflo2 through its headphone out also beats the fuze via line out dock in my opinion. The amp is quite good on it but its warmer and has some roll off. Some will prefer this as they are sensitive to the higher frequencies. Synergy is also key to get the best out of your rig (not good to combine bright source with bright phones or vice versa).


Edited by lee730 - 7/30/11 at 9:23pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post





I haven't heard the Hifiman 601 so I can't comment on it. I do own an Sflo2 and a sansa fuze and use them both via line out with my UHA4 slimline amp. The Sflo2 wins hands down sound quality wise. Using the line out you have no treble roll off and it is very powerful. I find using the user flat setting the best which lowers the gain. The sansa fuze does sound great as well don't get me wrong and for the price its hard to beat. But I only use mp3 files on the fuze while I use flac on the sflo2. The Sflo2 through its headphone out also beats the fuze via line out dock in my opinion. The amp is quite good on it but its warmer and has some roll off. Some will prefer this as they are sensitive to the higher frequencies. Synergy is also key to get the best out of your rig (not good to combine bright source with bright phones or vice versa).



How can you say the SFlo wins hands down over the Fuze when you don't use the same files on them both?

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post





How can you say the SFlo wins hands down over the Fuze when you don't use the same files on them both?



Because the Sflo2 produces much better sound quality than a fuze does, this is a fact and not fiction. The reason I use flac on the sflo2 is because it is revealing enough to warrant it, while the fuze it is not. You will gain better sound from a fuze with flac but it really isn't worth it in my opinion (as its minimal gain) and I'm pretty sure most others who do use the fuze use mp3 files as well on it. I own both devices and I should know. Even when putting on the same files onto both devices the Sflo2 is still the clear winner. It may have a bad UI interface and its not for everyone. But sound quality wise it smashes the fuze; there is no comparison. It would be like comparing a Corvette to a gremlin lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Amp'd Sansa Fuze w/LOD vs S:Flo2 vs HM-601 for DT770 PRO 80 ohms.