Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SR60-Mod part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod part II - Page 5

post #61 of 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by LepakVT View Post

Just got back from the store with $3 of "Handi Tak" (not quite Blu-Tack..) and $3 for 12 3M sticky adhesive felt stickers. Popped on one felt sticker to each driver to start off with. Just started In Absentia - Porcupine Tree to test it out 


Porcupine Tree always sounds perfect. Bad choice biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat46734 View Post

What do you mean by taking the cable over to the new headphones?

 


As in transplant.

 

 

post #62 of 3331

What is the process to make the Grado SR80i's balanced? I thought all you had to do was reterminate the plug and change from a normal 3.5mm plug to either a 4 pin XLR plug or two 3 pin XLR plugs. And then to transplant that wouldnt you have to cut it off of your SR80is and splice it into your new headphones thus ruining your SR80i.

post #63 of 3331
Thread Starter 

I just got finished "stocking" the first couple of posts of this thread with some of the very first Bila posts. Please let me know what you guys think?

 

Bill. 


Edited by Big Bill - 7/1/11 at 1:47pm
post #64 of 3331

That is great! I really think that you got all of the most important mods and how to do them so beginners can figure it all out and then the introduction to "woodies" might even convince some people to try and make their own cups. On the subject of making your own cups, has anyone ever checked local hardware stores to see if they have some aluminum tubing that is the correct size to make cups out of?

post #65 of 3331

Great job there Bill! I think it should cover the first whats, whys and hows. Well, actually more than that.

post #66 of 3331

 

Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post

I just got finished "stocking" the first post of this thread with some of the very first Bila posts. Please let me know what you guys think?

 

Bill. 


Big Bill, thanks for doing that.  I'm hoping this will be a leaner-cleaner, non-commercial board.  You captured those golden oldies and I really appreciate that.

 

My motto has always been, "If I can do it, you can do it better."  Some folks have really raised the bar on that, which is truly inspirational.  When the old board started, we were right at the switch from hand-held drills to the drill press.  By the time the old board crashed, we were moving past the lathe to experiments with carbon fiber and some of the more exotic tonewoods.  A lot of good info was shared by members contributing their feedback about various points at which the lowly SR60 could be lifted higher.

 

While the temptation for commercialization is always there, I hope this board will maintain its focus on improving the Grado with newer ways to tap its potential as a sound platform.  When you trick out a hot rod, you're not aiming for a recreation of the original car; you're looking to build a dream.  I hope this board is full of dreamers with the inspiration to think about a $79 headphone in ways nobody has yet imagined.

post #67 of 3331
Thread Starter 

Youre welcome.


Edited by Big Bill - 7/1/11 at 2:24pm
post #68 of 3331

Just switched from the adhesive felt stickers to some of the HandiTak and I think the difference is pretty noticeable immediately. The bass especially has more force and cymbals sound better.

post #69 of 3331
Thread Starter 

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

 

Bill.

post #70 of 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat46734 View Post

What is the process to make the Grado SR80i's balanced? I thought all you had to do was reterminate the plug and change from a normal 3.5mm plug to either a 4 pin XLR plug or two 3 pin XLR plugs. And then to transplant that wouldnt you have to cut it off of your SR80is and splice it into your new headphones thus ruining your SR80i.



That's it. Wait what's the second part?

 

I still haven't gotten a pair of Grados, nor have I gotten a drill press or the hole saws. Just posted to subscribe. What was the width needed for the cups? And I assume the inner/driver part is 1.5 inches? Thanks.

post #71 of 3331

Subscribing

 

popcorn.gif

 

RIP the most prolific thread in head-fi the last couple of years.

post #72 of 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

Subscribing

 

popcorn.gif

 

RIP the most prolific thread in head-fi the last couple of years.


That probably belongs to the Ortho thread, McFrogger. It's probably the most helpful thread here in regards to modding, because a lot of the ideas there can apply to dynamics like these.

 

post #73 of 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post


That probably belongs to the Ortho thread, McFrogger. It's probably the most helpful thread here in regards to modding, because a lot of the ideas there can apply to dynamics like these.

 



I encourage you to redeem yourself from such infidel statement, Ish.

 

More people own / mod grados than orthos, plus the mods in that thread can be applied to any grado model. and yes, those in the ortho thread can be applied to all orthos but I believe the Ortho fanbase outsideand inside of Headfi is small compared to the Grado fan base

 

redeem now and you will be forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue_smile.gif


Edited by JamesMcProgger - 7/1/11 at 4:22pm
post #74 of 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post





I encourage you to redeem yourself from such infidel statement, Ish.

 

More people own / mod grados than orthos, plus the mods in that thread can be applied to any grado model. and yes, those in the ortho thread can be applied to all orthos but I believe the Ortho fanbase outsideand inside of Headfi is small compared to the Grado fan base

 

redeem now and you will be forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue_smile.gif


Yes, there is a more active community in the Grado community, but the orthoheads are actively trying to improve damping and tuning. (Haven't checked in the Grado thread so I may very well be wrong.) I got the felt, polyfill, backwave principle, and other random stuff like positioning of the driver from the ortho thread, not to demean the Grado modding thread at all. It's a godsend.

 

And I was thinking more post count, not fanbase and that stuff...Then again, how big is the Stax thread? There is definitely a much larger Grado fanbase--there are probably 15 active orthoheads, if that--likely because anyone can get a new SR60, but finding a new ortho (other than the Fostex) is really freakin hard, and the modding is a bit more complicated (presuming you aren't making your own woodies. Then the Grado is harder, obviously.)

 

By the way, the mods in the Grado thread apply to any dynamic. Not just Grados. I've poked holes and felted every headphone I have that needed it.

 

...you totally misconstrued my sarcastic blunt comment. tongue_smile.gif The Grado thread is much faster though. It probably would have quickly caught up in post count if it stayed open.

post #75 of 3331

Conspiracy, I say very_evil_smiley.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SR60-Mod part II