- 14 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does Grado Labs take to repair headphones? Last post on 4/20/11 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's inside the Grado cable? Last post on 6/28/11 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- American Craftsmanship? Last post on 6/14/11 at 8:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado soundstage Last post on 10/5/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
SR60-Mod part II - Page 223post #3331 of 33369/17/14 at 6:37amInteresting. Hopefully I can make them within the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3332 of 33362/17/15 at 6:17am
So. Sitting next to me is a set of B-stock sr60i 's and a really old set of sr60's. From a whole lot of ABing them i actually prefer the timbre of the old sr60's, it might be the condition of the driver (when I got them the gauze front was yellow and the pads were crumbling to dust) but the upper end is strangely textured - but subtle, and in a really sweet way. While the sr60is have more bass they sound less friendly to me.
Then came modding.
sr60's: I punched two vent holes and lined the chamber with a thin strip of felt. Bass was bigger but quality much less. After removing the felt the quality came back! I haven't heard anyone else mentioning chamber damping affecting bass quality. Also the two vent holes bring the bass up to about the 60i level.
sr60is: Felt lining softened the sound, Once again I removed it to bring back quality but with the bigger chamber you can line the cup-inside as well as the part joined onto the driver so right now I've left the felt on the removable cup part and button. I also put a circle of felt on the driver back plate, seems good.
Why does lining the chamber reduce quality and increase bass?
Also will masking tape or J-cloth do to cover up vent holes? thats's what I'm using now to compare the difference.post #3333 of 33362/17/15 at 7:11am
From my experiences lining the walls with felt with an SR60i, the scale of the sound became smaller and there was less 'air'.
I've read from different sources that the chamber dimensions behind the driver are carefully designed to produce the correct sound... playing around with it leads me to believe that it is correct.
I found that the most important Grado mods are done ear-side (aside from vent-hole-punching) with different pad sizes, hole sizes, pad materials etc.post #3334 of 33362/17/15 at 11:07am
I agree there, shrinking the chamber won't help anything. I just swapped the cups between the 60 and 60is. The old 60s sound good with the larger cups, the sound opens up and feels less inside the ear as you'd expect. Better synergy with the venting too. If only I had some wood...post #3335 of 33363/5/15 at 1:21pm
- SR60-Mod part II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Questyle cma800r: mint 21 seconds ago
- › 2015 CanJam @ RMAF Impressions thread - (October 2-4, 2015) 43 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 53 seconds ago
- › Nashua, New Hampshire Meet: Decemeber 5th, 2015 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 900 Noise-Isolating Earphones 7 minutes ago
- › Geek Wave backers: Customer Happiness Survey (from a fellow backer) 7 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2