- 14 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does Grado Labs take to repair headphones? Last post on 4/20/11 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's inside the Grado cable? Last post on 6/28/11 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- American Craftsmanship? Last post on 6/14/11 at 8:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado soundstage Last post on 10/5/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Let me preface this review by explaining the issue I was dealing with. I have always experienced digital noise from, I'm assuming, my poorly grounded laptop. It didn't matter if I used the...
Build quality and comfort: Headband pad is a little too firm, may need break in. Initially putting them on, the headband is feeling is evidently there but with time it slowly disappears....
Introduction I initially caught wind of Flare Audio and their offerings through a friend's Facebook post. Cutting a long story short I clicked the link and with each detail I read became more...
Love this pair of headphones. Huge sound stage. Great for classical music. The bass is not shabby and is good enough to enjoy Coldplays Viva la Vida. Of course comprable amplifiers are necessry...
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
SR60-Mod part II - Page 223post #3331 of 33359/17/14 at 6:37amInteresting. Hopefully I can make them within the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3332 of 33352/17/15 at 6:17am
So. Sitting next to me is a set of B-stock sr60i 's and a really old set of sr60's. From a whole lot of ABing them i actually prefer the timbre of the old sr60's, it might be the condition of the driver (when I got them the gauze front was yellow and the pads were crumbling to dust) but the upper end is strangely textured - but subtle, and in a really sweet way. While the sr60is have more bass they sound less friendly to me.
Then came modding.
sr60's: I punched two vent holes and lined the chamber with a thin strip of felt. Bass was bigger but quality much less. After removing the felt the quality came back! I haven't heard anyone else mentioning chamber damping affecting bass quality. Also the two vent holes bring the bass up to about the 60i level.
sr60is: Felt lining softened the sound, Once again I removed it to bring back quality but with the bigger chamber you can line the cup-inside as well as the part joined onto the driver so right now I've left the felt on the removable cup part and button. I also put a circle of felt on the driver back plate, seems good.
Why does lining the chamber reduce quality and increase bass?
Also will masking tape or J-cloth do to cover up vent holes? thats's what I'm using now to compare the difference.post #3333 of 33352/17/15 at 7:11am
From my experiences lining the walls with felt with an SR60i, the scale of the sound became smaller and there was less 'air'.
I've read from different sources that the chamber dimensions behind the driver are carefully designed to produce the correct sound... playing around with it leads me to believe that it is correct.
I found that the most important Grado mods are done ear-side (aside from vent-hole-punching) with different pad sizes, hole sizes, pad materials etc.post #3334 of 33352/17/15 at 11:07am
I agree there, shrinking the chamber won't help anything. I just swapped the cups between the 60 and 60is. The old 60s sound good with the larger cups, the sound opens up and feels less inside the ear as you'd expect. Better synergy with the venting too. If only I had some wood...
- SR60-Mod part II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Headphone Sightings 2 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 2 minutes ago
- › Why tubes but no equalization? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware 7 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-A15 vs FiiO X1 7 minutes ago
- › 71 IEM Brief Review thread (incl. Rhine Monitors, Cleartune,... 9 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The 1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy, The Tube That Doesn't Exist 11 minutes ago
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2