- 14 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does Grado Labs take to repair headphones? Last post on 4/20/11 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's inside the Grado cable? Last post on 6/28/11 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- American Craftsmanship? Last post on 6/14/11 at 8:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado soundstage Last post on 10/5/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
SR60-Mod part II - Page 223post #3331 of 33359/17/14 at 6:37amInteresting. Hopefully I can make them within the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3332 of 33352/17/15 at 6:17am
So. Sitting next to me is a set of B-stock sr60i 's and a really old set of sr60's. From a whole lot of ABing them i actually prefer the timbre of the old sr60's, it might be the condition of the driver (when I got them the gauze front was yellow and the pads were crumbling to dust) but the upper end is strangely textured - but subtle, and in a really sweet way. While the sr60is have more bass they sound less friendly to me.
Then came modding.
sr60's: I punched two vent holes and lined the chamber with a thin strip of felt. Bass was bigger but quality much less. After removing the felt the quality came back! I haven't heard anyone else mentioning chamber damping affecting bass quality. Also the two vent holes bring the bass up to about the 60i level.
sr60is: Felt lining softened the sound, Once again I removed it to bring back quality but with the bigger chamber you can line the cup-inside as well as the part joined onto the driver so right now I've left the felt on the removable cup part and button. I also put a circle of felt on the driver back plate, seems good.
Why does lining the chamber reduce quality and increase bass?
Also will masking tape or J-cloth do to cover up vent holes? thats's what I'm using now to compare the difference.post #3333 of 33352/17/15 at 7:11am
From my experiences lining the walls with felt with an SR60i, the scale of the sound became smaller and there was less 'air'.
I've read from different sources that the chamber dimensions behind the driver are carefully designed to produce the correct sound... playing around with it leads me to believe that it is correct.
I found that the most important Grado mods are done ear-side (aside from vent-hole-punching) with different pad sizes, hole sizes, pad materials etc.post #3334 of 33352/17/15 at 11:07am
I agree there, shrinking the chamber won't help anything. I just swapped the cups between the 60 and 60is. The old 60s sound good with the larger cups, the sound opens up and feels less inside the ear as you'd expect. Better synergy with the venting too. If only I had some wood...
- SR60-Mod part II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FS: DENON D7100 GRADO SR325IS AKG K545 25 seconds ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 2 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 3 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi "Made for Apple" Portable DAC/amp... 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 5 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 5 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 5 minutes ago
- › Lucy Simon (Carly's sister). 6 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2