- 14 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does Grado Labs take to repair headphones? Last post on 4/20/11 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's inside the Grado cable? Last post on 6/28/11 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- American Craftsmanship? Last post on 6/14/11 at 8:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado soundstage Last post on 10/5/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Audioquest Nighthawk headphone was on sale at TTJV Audio’s website. Here is a link to Todd’s listing of the...
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
SR60-Mod part II - Page 223post #3331 of 33359/17/14 at 6:37amInteresting. Hopefully I can make them within the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3332 of 33352/17/15 at 6:17am
So. Sitting next to me is a set of B-stock sr60i 's and a really old set of sr60's. From a whole lot of ABing them i actually prefer the timbre of the old sr60's, it might be the condition of the driver (when I got them the gauze front was yellow and the pads were crumbling to dust) but the upper end is strangely textured - but subtle, and in a really sweet way. While the sr60is have more bass they sound less friendly to me.
Then came modding.
sr60's: I punched two vent holes and lined the chamber with a thin strip of felt. Bass was bigger but quality much less. After removing the felt the quality came back! I haven't heard anyone else mentioning chamber damping affecting bass quality. Also the two vent holes bring the bass up to about the 60i level.
sr60is: Felt lining softened the sound, Once again I removed it to bring back quality but with the bigger chamber you can line the cup-inside as well as the part joined onto the driver so right now I've left the felt on the removable cup part and button. I also put a circle of felt on the driver back plate, seems good.
Why does lining the chamber reduce quality and increase bass?
Also will masking tape or J-cloth do to cover up vent holes? thats's what I'm using now to compare the difference.post #3333 of 33352/17/15 at 7:11am
From my experiences lining the walls with felt with an SR60i, the scale of the sound became smaller and there was less 'air'.
I've read from different sources that the chamber dimensions behind the driver are carefully designed to produce the correct sound... playing around with it leads me to believe that it is correct.
I found that the most important Grado mods are done ear-side (aside from vent-hole-punching) with different pad sizes, hole sizes, pad materials etc.post #3334 of 33352/17/15 at 11:07am
I agree there, shrinking the chamber won't help anything. I just swapped the cups between the 60 and 60is. The old 60s sound good with the larger cups, the sound opens up and feels less inside the ear as you'd expect. Better synergy with the venting too. If only I had some wood...
- SR60-Mod part II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Official X3 firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit,... 1 minute ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 3 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 6 minutes ago
- › NOBLE Savant Appreciation Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours) 6 minutes ago
- › I Finished My First Ever DIY Project! Bottlehead Crack! 7 minutes ago
- › RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions 9 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 11 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3