Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Haute Schiit! Bifrost is world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haute Schiit! Bifrost is world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC - Page 3

post #31 of 326

While Bifrost and Lyr (and Asgard and Valhalla) share the same footprint, generally it's better to try have some space between electronic components - especially audio components whose performance can degrade by placing components/power supplies in close proximity. Stacking looks great, but side by side with some margin will certainly run cooler and likely produce cleaner signals. bigsmile_face.gif

post #32 of 326

Jason,

you are probably not ready to talk about this, but i am going to ask right away. i think that a lot of ppl are wondering about the same thing. For the upcoming mid-level balanced DAC, other than having balanced output what other feature it will have on top of Bifrost? Since Lyr doesn't have balanced input, i am wondering whether it makes sense to wait.

It's great that you are letting ppl know what's coming, but it makes purchase decision a little bit harder. :-)

post #33 of 326

I for one would be happy to save $100 by not using USB and attaining better sound.  

 

As for the vaunted Sabre DAC.  I've heard it implemented in the Audio GD stuff and it was fine but not worth the money IMO.  Sounded like the AKM in my DACPort but CEntrance has a tidier package.  I for one look forward to hear what the Bifrost can do.  There should be quite a discernible difference just by looking at the implementation.  We'll see.

post #34 of 326

Yep - I believe we'll all be a bit surprised by the performance level at that price. wink_face.gif

post #35 of 326

I LOVE the minimalist design.... but I think there should be an option for a headphone jack.

post #36 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
...

As for the vaunted Sabre DAC.  I've heard it implemented in the Audio GD stuff and it was fine but not worth the money IMO.  Sounded like the AKM in my DACPort but CEntrance has a tidier package.  I for one look forward to hear what the Bifrost can do.  There should be quite a discernible difference just by looking at the implementation.  We'll see.

Speculation:  Not sure what the price difference between the two DAC chips is but perhaps the forthcoming top of the line Schiit DAC will use the ESS Sabre DAC?

 

post #37 of 326
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

Some more answers:

 

1. Wall warts? Bite your tongue! None of our products use wallwarts. And none of them need external power supplies for best performance. 

 

2. Reasons to upgrade beyond balanced on the other DACs--not ready to talk now. The performance of Bifrost is insane already.

 

3. Inputs and outputs--only what's spec'd. 3 digi inputs with USB, 2 digi inputs without USB, analog RCA outputs. Nothin else. This is a simple DAC. That's why it can be priced where it is.

 

Hope this helps.

 

All the best,

Jason

post #38 of 326

Jason,

 

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like the Bifrost is off to a good start.

Upcoming balanced DAC should mean balanced amp coming up if we can read between the lines...

 

Galvanic isolation is obvious but not to everybody apparently.

I just exchanged emails with an engineer at Hegel about the HD2 and he confirmed they didn't have galvanic isolation on that model.

In fact, he mentioned that galvanic isolation could not be done on USB when the DAC was powered via the USB port.

Must be a noob engineer I guess.

 

Keep flooding the market with BS (Best Schiit that is)!

 

post #39 of 326
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type35 View Post

I just exchanged emails with an engineer at Hegel about the HD2 and he confirmed they didn't have galvanic isolation on that model.

In fact, he mentioned that galvanic isolation could not be done on USB when the DAC was powered via the USB port.

 


He's right about that--well, not without insane heroics--but ours isn't USB-powered. 

 

post #40 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAudio View Post

Speculation:  Not sure what the price difference between the two DAC chips is but perhaps the forthcoming top of the line Schiit DAC will use the ESS Sabre DAC?


Wanna wager?  tongue_smile.gif  Anything is possible but there are other options.  biggrin.gif  Plus, how groundbreaking would that be?  I expect a DAC designed by thinking machines on Planet Ix.  tongue.gif

 

post #41 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
Wanna wager?  tongue_smile.gif  Anything is possible but there are other options.  biggrin.gif  Plus, how groundbreaking would that be?  I expect a DAC designed by thinking machines on Planet Ix.  tongue.gif

 

No!  wink.gif

Though my point was that at this point you can't expect to see the top-of-the-line high-end DAC chip ... BUT with the more expensive models a more expensive DAC chip makes more economic sense.  Whether that is the ESS Sabre or another chip doesn't matter to me, it's the sound that counts.

 

post #42 of 326

I assume the button on the front is for digital input selection?  Hard to tell from the pictures and the tiny glyphs.  Or is input selection automatic?

post #43 of 326

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I LOVE the minimalist design.... but I think there should be an option for a headphone jack.


My suspicion is slapping a jack on a DAC may not quite be up to your sonic expectations once you plug in. 

 

 

 

A consideration for future models is to have a sample-rate indicator. I hesitate whenever considering a model without - used too often with debugging. Still for the price sacrifices have to be made, and the specs certainly are enticing. 

 

 


Edited by blessingx - 6/30/11 at 5:28pm
post #44 of 326
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

 I expect a DAC designed by thinking machines on Planet Ix.  tongue.gif

 


Mike Moffat sez,

 

"I resemble that remark!"

 

Seriously, though, you hit it. Sabre isn't a complete redefinition--it's just remixing what a lot of other people are doing. This will be a complete redefinition. Not Sabre, not NOS, none of the same old tricks. 

 

post #45 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

Quote:


Mike Moffat sez,

 

"I resemble that remark!"

 

Seriously, though, you hit it. Sabre isn't a complete redefinition--it's just remixing what a lot of other people are doing. This will be a complete redefinition. Not Sabre, not NOS, none of the same old tricks. 

 



That's quite the teaser. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to it, hopefully in time for RMAF!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Haute Schiit! Bifrost is world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC