Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › KRK KNS-6400 Review - Impressive $99 Giant Killer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KRK KNS-6400 Review - Impressive $99 Giant Killer - Page 7

post #91 of 225

Would these KRK KNS-6400 be any good for JRock like Gackt, The Gazette, Abingdon Boys School? You said that its not forgiving of bad recordings and i remember reading something about japans obsession with loudness on these forums so would there be something similar you would reccomend for japanese music?

post #92 of 225

E888 and RE0 and are the best earphones I've heard for J-rock.

 

A2000X is pretty amazing at it too.

post #93 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

E888 and RE0 and are the best earphones I've heard for J-rock.

 

A2000X is pretty amazing at it too.

 

You recommended E888 and RE0's on the headphone megathread where i mentioned Nico Touches the Walls :). I've checked them both out on this forum and they both seem to be well recieved, so I will most likely get one of them if i decide to get an earphone instead of headphones. I just thought the KNS-6400 might be good as it is quite neutral with a bit of mids and i was looking for headphones.

 

What are the qualities of the E888, RE0 and A2000X that make them suitable for JRock? Do they work with heavier JRock like Visual Kei sortof stuff? Also do they get you into the music with their bass where you can experience the music and get goosebumps? sorry for the terrible explanation. 

post #94 of 225

Sorry, take A2000X off the list, it's a bit sizzling on some poorly mastered or enhanced loudness J-rock tracks (a lot, I think) and it's so expensive if anyone took my recommendation and heard that sizzling on the loudness tracks they'd hate me (perhaps).

 

Yes the E888 and RE0 work with heavier visual kei type stuff, neither of them are overly bassy, and they don't deliver goosebumps (apart from vocals, which excel on both!), they mostly just deliver the "tonality" of J-rock type music correctly, the correct delivery of frequencies from their ESP guitars I guess is the most important, alongside vocals and a good sensation of the drum patterns and synthy sounds, I could use the word "magic" but that's not very technical ;)

 

Sorry for my terrible explanation! Lol.

 

Please check the following threads and we can continue the discussion there, these should be useful to you.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558427/kiteki-review-audio-technica-ath-ck10-the-calvin-klein-various-iem-sound-impressions (look for where I mention the band Pierrot)

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514102/testing-for-speed-in-iem-s-please-participate-in-my-test-speed-metal-visual-kei-symphonic-metal-instrumental-electric-guitar-shredding

 

 

I'll check out the band FLOW as you mentioned, but please remind me.

 

As for the Fostex T-5, well it's not amazing or anything, it's just pretty upfront and engaging, I have limited experience with portable headphones so I don't have much good advice there really, but I've heard quite a few IEM's and I know what I like and when I hear it and which are suitable for J-rock and which are not, it's not too hard.

 

You can follow my RE0 thread as well since I recommended that for J-rock (an easy recommendation, espeically for $79) but you'll need some amplification for it, or a DAP with loud volume.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/565498/kiteki-review-what-s-up-re0

 

post #95 of 225

tdockweiler, i'm just curious.. a few pages back you mentioned cantopop.. what kind of cantopop are you listening??

post #96 of 225

I am interested in a comparison of these and the Shure SRH-440. So far, I have some ideas after reading these:

  http://www.headphone.com/headphones/krk-systems-kns-6400.php

  http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh440.php

  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KRKKNS6400.pdf

  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH440.pdf

But reading about actual listening experience, comfort, etc. would still be helpful.

 

post #97 of 225
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

I am interested in a comparison of these and the Shure SRH-440. So far, I have some ideas after reading these:

  http://www.headphone.com/headphones/krk-systems-kns-6400.php

  http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh440.php

  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KRKKNS6400.pdf

  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH440.pdf

But reading about actual listening experience, comfort, etc. would still be helpful.

 

 

I should have really skipped replying to this since I have little experience with the SRH-440 and this is only based on 1-2 hours of listening about a year back.

The SRH-440's comfort is really a joke compared to the KRK KNS-6400, even with stock pads. The KRKs weigh much less also. When upgraded to the memory foam pads they're even better of course. Then there is better padding on the top of the KRK headbands. Similar to that of the HD-650.

 

I think the SRH-440 would be closer to the 8400's signature. I remember the SRH-440 having a lot of treble for some reason. I'm pretty positive the SRH-440 has more bass impact than the 6400 and 8400, but less bass extension overall. I saw the graph of the SRH-440 on Headroom's website and it didn't look too good when it came to the bass. To me, graphs don't always mean much though. I remember someone on here saying the SRH-440 had a LOT of bass!

 

Pretty sure the mids will be much more forward sounding on the 6400 compared to the SRH-440. Maybe not on paper, but that's what I hear.

 

Terrible comparison and I'm going to resist the urge to compare anything else, since it's only fair to do this when owning both.

 

The SRH-440 is quite good for the price range, but I didn't like it enough to keep it over my DJ100 I had at the time.
 

 

post #98 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Cantopop



 

post #99 of 225

Which model sounds the closest to Shure SRH-940? and how close is it to the 940?

 

Please keep in mind I thought the 840 sounded crap, 940 is the only one for me, should I consider trying one of these models? and if yes, which one?

 

Just curious thx.....................................

post #100 of 225

Well, I received these cans today. I'm still formulating a proper evaluation in my mind, but right off the bat I can say these really need even just a little bit of burn-in. Out of the box they were excellently detailed but VERY thin-sounding. With only 2 hours of loud music burning in, they've "thickened" immensely. They're now starting to sound like a great purchase, but I want to put even more burn into them before making final impressions.

post #101 of 225

I'm so tired of people talking about burn-in.

post #102 of 225

Maybe you should take a nap then?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I'm so tired of people talking about burn-in.



 

post #103 of 225
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I'm so tired of people talking about burn-in.



There's a thread for that: biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533812/qq-complain-thread-complain-about-anything

post #104 of 225

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post

Maybe you should take a nap then?
 


Good advice.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

There's a thread for that: biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533812/qq-complain-thread-complain-about-anything


Thanks, I posted there!

 

 

 

post #105 of 225


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

I should have really skipped replying to this since I have little experience with the SRH-440 and this is only based on 1-2 hours of listening about a year back.

The SRH-440's comfort is really a joke compared to the KRK KNS-6400, even with stock pads. The KRKs weigh much less also. When upgraded to the memory foam pads they're even better of course. Then there is better padding on the top of the KRK headbands. Similar to that of the HD-650.

 

I think the SRH-440 would be closer to the 8400's signature. I remember the SRH-440 having a lot of treble for some reason. I'm pretty positive the SRH-440 has more bass impact than the 6400 and 8400, but less bass extension overall. I saw the graph of the SRH-440 on Headroom's website and it didn't look too good when it came to the bass. To me, graphs don't always mean much though. I remember someone on here saying the SRH-440 had a LOT of bass!

 

Pretty sure the mids will be much more forward sounding on the 6400 compared to the SRH-440. Maybe not on paper, but that's what I hear.


Thanks for the information. Your observations about the frequency responses are actually quite consistent with the innerfidelity.com graphs which do indeed show that the KNS-6400 has more extension at both ends but with a few dB emphasis on the mid-range, while the SRH-440 has peaks at 100 Hz and 10 kHz, but rolls off the extreme ends more.

 

By the way, the KRK has an advantage that was perhaps not mentioned yet: it has a much flatter impedance/phase vs. frequency graph than the others I have checked. This means the frequency response does not change as much when the device powering the headphones has a high output impedance (e.g. a sound card). Therefore, these may be better suited for use without an amplifier, even if the sensitivity is not very good.

 


Edited by stv014 - 8/6/11 at 3:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › KRK KNS-6400 Review - Impressive $99 Giant Killer