Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New headphone amplifier from Bryston - Page 58

post #856 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I know for a fact the T1's sound ed horrible out the SE output.  Once I got them re cabled to balanced it was like night and day..  Go figure.

didnt James Tanner say that balanced doubles the voltage swing somewhere in this thread? And the 600 ohm T1 sure likes voltage more than current, so it might be more sensitive to output choice?

anyway, I totally loved the 300 ohm HD650 running SE so much I'm almost buying it for the HD650 only =D
post #857 of 1476
DP
Edited by ardilla - 1/14/13 at 4:57pm
post #858 of 1476
More like QP tongue.gif
post #859 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

More like QP tongue.gif

 

with cheese...

post #860 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDude View Post

 

with cheese...

biggrin.gif....That was lunch yesterday....

post #861 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Maybe you are super sensitive to an inverted signal?

SE output is not inverted.
post #862 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

didnt James Tanner say that balanced doubles the voltage swing somewhere in this thread? And the 600 ohm T1 sure likes voltage more than current, so it might be more sensitive to output choice?

anyway, I totally loved the 300 ohm HD650 running SE so much I'm almost buying it for the HD650 only =D


Yes, balanced output doubles the available output voltage swing.
post #863 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


SE output is not inverted.

 

So the input is?

post #864 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead View Post

Are owners experiencing a pretty big deficit between running single-ended vs. balanced output?

 

Mine is still a week or more away.  Just curious if I will benefit substantially by balancing my cans
 


I have tried single ended and balanced output with my LCD-2's. I had to turn the volume up a bit to get to the same level of sound with SE vs the BAL. Other than that, the SE sounded great. The only possible difference was in the details on the outer edges of the music. They seemed to be a tiny bit clearer with balanced. The delicacies of the music seemed clearer BAL vs SE but not by much on the LCD-2's at least. Anyone else?

post #865 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido2 View Post


I have tried single ended and balanced output with my LCD-2's. I had to turn the volume up a bit to get to the same level of sound with SE vs the BAL. Other than that, the SE sounded great. The only possible difference was in the details on the outer edges of the music. They seemed to be a tiny bit clearer with balanced. The delicacies of the music seemed clearer BAL vs SE but not by much on the LCD-2's at least. Anyone else?

Bass impact, soundstage?  Details, smidge more.

post #866 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido2 View Post


I have tried single ended and balanced output with my LCD-2's. I had to turn the volume up a bit to get to the same level of sound with SE vs the BAL. Other than that, the SE sounded great. The only possible difference was in the details on the outer edges of the music. They seemed to be a tiny bit clearer with balanced. The delicacies of the music seemed clearer BAL vs SE but not by much on the LCD-2's at least. Anyone else?

 

I agree with you. It seemed to me the audible difference could be accounted for by differences in level. 

post #867 of 1476

Hoping to get this answered by someone at Bryston.

 

I'm seriously considering purchasing your 1.5 phono stage (which requires the external PSU, kind of a dick move). Anyway, I know that this can be bought without the internal PSU for owners of other Bryston products...but can the same be done with the BDA-2?

 

I'm trying to invest in a phono stage from a company with a (decent) matching DAC, but am having a hard time considering investing 5k in a phono stage where the PSU is only being used for said phono stage. 

 

If I could run a BHA-1, BDA-2, and 1.5 Stage all off the same PSU that could have me seriously considering Bryston for my sources.

 

Waiting to confirm on sound of the BHA-1 with a few cans (come March) as I didn't like it with the HD800. If it pairs well with the TH900, LCD 2.2/3, and HE500 it could be a serious contender. 

post #868 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

So the input is?

 

Going by the preliminary owner's manual, SE input to SE output is non-inverted

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

 

I agree with you. It seemed to me the audible difference could be accounted for by differences in level. 

 

If "nature abhors the vacuum tube", what is it's opinion of a JFET? a MOSFET? a BJT?


Edited by Chris J - 1/15/13 at 9:29am
post #869 of 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Hoping to get this answered by someone at Bryston.

 

I'm seriously considering purchasing your 1.5 phono stage (which requires the external PSU, kind of a dick move). Anyway, I know that this can be bought without the internal PSU for owners of other Bryston products...but can the same be done with the BDA-2?

 

I'm trying to invest in a phono stage from a company with a (decent) matching DAC, but am having a hard time considering investing 5k in a phono stage where the PSU is only being used for said phono stage. 

 

If I could run a BHA-1, BDA-2, and 1.5 Stage all off the same PSU that could have me seriously considering Bryston for my sources.

 

Waiting to confirm on sound of the BHA-1 with a few cans (come March) as I didn't like it with the HD800. If it pairs well with the TH900, LCD 2.2/3, and HE500 it could be a serious contender. 

 

 

Hi,

 

The BDA-1/2 and the BDP1/2 have internal power supplies because there are two supplies - one dedicated to the Digital Circuitry and one to the Analog circuitry.  With the MPS-2 that can not be done. The MPS-2 can be used with the BHA-1 on special order as a special cable is required from the MPS-2 to the rear of the BHA-1.

 

The MPS-2 was designed to drive our BP-26 Preamp, Our BP1.5 MM and MC phone stage, our 10B electronic crossover and our BHA-1 headphone amp.

 

Hope this helps.

 

james 

post #870 of 1476

Makes sense but it's a bit unfortunate. 

 

Thanks for the info. If I needed a preamp it'd be a no brainer. Still might go for it if my next audition with the BHA-1 goes well. 

 

Not sure if investing 5k in a phono stage is for me. It's far and away the most expensive option on my long list.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner View Post

Hi,

 

The BDA-1/2 and the BDP1/2 have internal power supplies because there are two supplies - one dedicated to the Digital Circuitry and one to the Analog circuitry.  With the MPS-2 that can not be done. The MPS-2 can be used with the BHA-1 on special order as a special cable is required from the MPS-2 to the rear of the BHA-1.

 

The MPS-2 was designed to drive our BP-26 Preamp, Our BP1.5 MM and MC phone stage, our 10B electronic crossover and our BHA-1 headphone amp.

 

Hope this helps.

 

james 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston