Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New headphone amplifier from Bryston - Page 43

post #631 of 1519

I don't know about Schiit, but I must say that Headamp makes a very classy product. I am sure their amps are worth every cent.

post #632 of 1519

Absolutely.  I've pretty much owned every home product HeadAmp makes.  But if Justin sold hundreds of the GS-X every month, then he could cut the price and still be making more money.  Small volume, higher price, otherwise its a hobby not a business ;)

post #633 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Guess that's not me wink.gif

Yeah, unfortunately before your second offer I had already found someone locally redface.gif
post #634 of 1519

Damn Solude,  It's hard as hell to find one huh?

post #635 of 1519

Hi Folks,

 

Here's a shot of the inside of the BHA-1.

 

 

700

post #636 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner View Post

Hi Folks,

 

Here's a shot of the inside of the BHA-1.

 

 

700

 

 

That's a pretty hefty transformer.  In a separate enclosure could have had twobiggrin.gif

post #637 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Damn Solude,  It's hard as hell to find one huh?

 

Won't matter real soon.  Have a GS-X and Dynahi in the pipe =)

post #638 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

Won't matter real soon.  Have a GS-X and Dynahi in the pipe =)

 

 

ME to brother (both)L3000.gif

post #639 of 1519

Here is a better pic:)

 

 

1000

Thank You. Drew Baird, P.E. Moon Audio 308 Chrismill Lane Holly Springs, NC 27540 919-649-5018 drew@moon-audio.com http://www.moon-audio.com Moon...

Reply
post #640 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

 

Why don't they just make it all discrete, fully balanced, fully differential and DC coupled.

 

It is all discrete

It has a differential input

It has balanced outputs

 

Preliminary Manual shows capacitor coupled output,

Input DC coupled


Edited by Chris J - 11/15/12 at 2:08pm
post #641 of 1519

Thanks for the pic, James, that is a very nice piece of gear. I hope you don't mind but I am curious about the BHA-1 specifications.

 

According to this http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BHA1_BROCHURE.pdf

 

Harmonic distortion is "Less than .003 at 32 ohms at 100mW 20Hz to 20KHz."

 

and: "4 volts into 32 ohms (500 mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K"

 

Either one of those harmonic distortion figures is low enough to be of academic interest only, but why specify 0.003% distortion at 100mW when the distortion is only 001% at 500mW? Would it not be more interesting for users of this amp to know how many Watts it can produce while the distortion remains at acceptable low levels? Since the BHA-1 is known to be able to drive power hungry cans and produce more power than most publishing such specs should be beneficial to Bryston and potential buyers. For most people THD at 1mW or so would be more interesting than THD at 100mW or more anyway.

 

Is the amp shown here http://bryston.com/products/headphone_amps/BHA-1.html or here http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BHA1_BROCHURE.pdf (this one is strange because it has male XLRs at the front) a current production version or does the current production amp have a line output on the back?

 

Many thanks.

post #642 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

Thanks for the pic, James, that is a very nice piece of gear. I hope you don't mind but I am curious about the BHA-1 specifications.

According to this http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BHA1_BROCHURE.pdf

Harmonic distortion is "Less than .003 at 32 ohms at 100mW 20Hz to 20KHz."

and: "4 volts into 32 ohms (500 mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K"

Either one of those harmonic distortion figures is low enough to be of academic interest only, but why specify 0.003% distortion at 100mW when the distortion is only 001% at 500mW? Would it not be more interesting for users of this amp to know how many Watts it can produce while the distortion remains at acceptable low levels? Since the BHA-1 is known to be able to drive power hungry cans and produce more power than most publishing such specs should be beneficial to Bryston and potential buyers. For most people THD at 1mW or so would be more interesting than THD at 100mW or more anyway.

Is the amp shown here http://bryston.com/products/headphone_amps/BHA-1.html or here http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BHA1_BROCHURE.pdf (this one is strange because it has male XLRs at the front) a current production version or does the current production amp have a line output on the back?

Many thanks.

Hi hooster

I will ask engineering about why the specs are quoted where they are - I am just the listener (lol).

The Pro market always has signal flowing from a Male to a Female so we offer the BHA in both Male and Female front panel XLR outputs as the cosumer market uses the reverse on their headphone cables.

The rear panel has a set of Balaned XLR outputs so you can use the BHA as a preamp as well.
James
Edited by James Tanner - 11/15/12 at 4:08pm
post #643 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

And yet Schiit builds it for $750 ;)  That said, HeadAmp does it for $2500 so it really comes down to volume and profit margins.

 

And Schiit probably makes next to $0 on each unit. I'm pretty sure the Schiit guys don't actually make a living doing just amps.

post #644 of 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

 

And Schiit probably makes next to $0 on each unit. I'm pretty sure the Schiit guys don't actually make a living doing just amps.

 

 

With the demand they have it almost has to be their living.

post #645 of 1519

Schiit makes money and its their day job :p  No one builds thousands of products for 'fun' ;)

 

The key on the 001% is that there is no DECIMAL.  So its should simply be 1% which begs the question... is the 6W spec at 2000% THD? :p  My other impression is that the BHA-1 is current limited not voltage since into 600ohm it jumps to 20V.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston