or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New headphone amplifier from Bryston - Page 91

post #1351 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
 

Rob80b,

................................

 

i'd like to know the maximum input value for Bryston expressed in dBu or volt rms.Just to be sure to se the correct output from my reference dac.

 

I hope that someone at  Bryston technical department can give me a clear answer about that (i've already emailed them but got no answer)

Ok see where you are going.

 

Haven’t done actual measurements but the input section of the BHA-1 is fairly robust but I’ve found that the amp section can be distorted if pushed too hard.

To explain, I did some tests earlier on when acquiring my BHA-1, I also ran my 2BLP pro amp (which has a headphone out) off the balanced pre outs at the same time.

What I found was that when pushed too hard, way beyond safe listening levels, I was able to hear discernable distortion out of the BHA-1s headphone outputs but the same volume level and higher off the 2BLP was fine.

So I’d be safe in saying that the BHA-1 should be fine in handling what ever you throw at it, +18dBu (6.15 volt rms) to +26dBu (23.7 volt rms), any distortion which might then incur from the amp section would be at a volume level way too high for any safe listening and the death of the headphones

 

But again, if the input level is too high, I’d actually would prefer around 4dB, one would be extremely restricted to the amount of open gain on the volume control.

 

You may want to call Mike Pickett, usually much better than email and who’s a very friendly and knowledgeable person at Bryston 1-800-632-8217.

post #1352 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
 

...........

 

The thing is that I have balanced cables on order and I read that that increases volume by another 6 db's, so the only option I can see is to not bypass the preamp in my M-DAC and turn down the volume on the M-DAC.  Do you think this will cause lesser sound quality if I turn it down around 10-15 db on the M-DAC?

 

Thanks.

That's my one pet peeve with the BHA-1, either too much gain or not enough depending on the source.

 

If the volume control of the M-DAC is not in the digital domain and tied in with the bit rate a few dB attenuation you should be fine.

post #1353 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post
 

That's my one pet peeve with the BHA-1, either too much gain or not enough depending on the source.

 

If the volume control of the M-DAC is not in the digital domain and tied in with the bit rate a few dB attenuation you should be fine.

Ok.  Thank You.  That is probably what I will have to end up doing once I go fully balanced. 

 

I also ordered a pair of Alpha dogs for home use so I am hoping that they will pair well with the Bryston/M-DAC combo.  I love the HE-500's with the BHA-1, so much better than my Lyr, the bass is much more controlled and refined and the mids and highs are far more detailed without being fatiguing.

 

Thanks.

Dave.

post #1354 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post

My dac in my audio mastering studio has a balanced xlr line output that can be set from +6dBu (1.54 volt rms) to +24dBu(12.2 volt rms).



Which is the recommended balanced input level for the Bryston BHA-1? I'd like to buy it to use as my new reference headphone amplifier.



 



Mr Tanner? Anyone?



 



thanks!


 



Start with +6dBu.
Anything more has a good chance of overloading the input stage of the BHA-1.
The volume control in the Bryston BHA-1 is AFTER the input stage.
So once you overload the inoput stage, turning the volume down will not help you, i.e. if you tuen the volume way down, the SPL at your headphones may be quiet, but is it still be distorted.
post #1355 of 2090

Chris J,

thanks you for your advice.

I hope also to get official information from Bryston about optimal input level.

post #1356 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post

Chris J,



thanks you for your advice.



I hope also to get official information from Bryston about optimal input level.


 



Since you are in Italy I just HAD to help!
Tuscany is beautiful............................
post #1357 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Start with +6dBu.
Anything more has a good chance of overloading the input stage of the BHA-1.
The volume control in the Bryston BHA-1 is AFTER the input stage.
So once you overload the inoput stage, turning the volume down will not help you, i.e. if you tuen the volume way down, the SPL at your headphones may be quiet, but is it still be distorted.

 

Excellent advice, hopefully the input stage can handle double that but I guess we will not know unless someone tries.

Mike, James are you listening (reading)?

 

Maybe time to head over to http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.0


Edited by Rob80b - 1/15/14 at 10:01am
post #1358 of 2090
Using mdac and bha1, i cannot hear any difference by using the mdac with 0dB or -20 dB in soundquality
post #1359 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert481 View Post

Using mdac and bha1, i cannot hear any difference by using the mdac with 0dB or -20 dB in soundquality

Thanks. I won't bypass the preamp anymore. I just wasn't sure since the BHA1 can be used as a preamp, and the M-DAC manual says that when using with a preamp you can disable the M-dacs preamp so you can use it as a stand alone dac. I guess the benefit will be that I be able to turn the volume higher on the BHA-1 and I will also be able to use the remote on the m-dac to control the volume.
post #1360 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post

Thanks. I won't bypass the preamp anymore. I just wasn't sure since the BHA1 can be used as a preamp, and the M-DAC manual says that when using with a preamp you can disable the M-dacs preamp so you can use it as a stand alone dac. I guess the benefit will be that I be able to turn the volume higher on the BHA-1 and I will also be able to use the remote on the m-dac to control the volume.

Nice!
Very nice!
post #1361 of 2090

Hi

 

Please email Stuart Taylor at Bryston - I spoke with him today about your questions and he has some questions in return

 

He also said we could do a custom unit for you if needed.

 

staylor@bryston,com

 

james

post #1362 of 2090
Correct Dave, i prefer Volume from 10-12 and not 8-9 on BHA1 - For my opinion it sounds better on the BHA1.
And control remote via MDAC.
Maybe there might be a difference, but i cannot hear any "bad sounding" by using even -30dB on the mdac.
For me it is the perfect combination - great sound and comfortable remote control of volume
Edited by Hubert481 - 1/15/14 at 10:54pm
post #1363 of 2090
Thanks Hubert, I think this will benefit me especially when I go balanced as the volume will already be 6db higher.
post #1364 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner View Post
 

Hi Folks,

 

The volume control we use in the BHA-1 is 'laser trimmed' to be accurate within 1/4dB throughout its rotation.  From 7 o'clock to 11 o'clock  there is a smaller gain (volume) change than between 11 and 3 o'clock to allow for more efficient phones being used at the lower settings.

 

Also remember the Bryston BHA-1 runs pure Class A so the volume control is actually a volume 'attenuator' - so full volume has no more or less distortion than minimum volume settings.

 

james

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert481 View Post

Correct Dave, i prefer Volume from 10-12 and not 8-9 on BHA1 - For my opinion it sounds better on the BHA1.
And control remote via MDAC.
Maybe there might be a difference, but i cannot hear any "bad sounding" by using even -30dB on the mdac.
For me it is the perfect combination - great sound and comfortable remote control of volume

I’m currently stuck with opposite problem, with music running balanced from my BCD-1 CDP all is well either with single ended or balanced phones , but unbalanced from my preamp and/or AVP even with balanced phones at high gain I'm usually maxed out on the dial with little maneuvering to find the sweet spot.


Edited by Rob80b - 1/16/14 at 6:16am
post #1365 of 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner View Post
 

Hi

 

Please email Stuart Taylor at Bryston - I spoke with him today about your questions and he has some questions in return

 

He also said we could do a custom unit for you if needed.

 

staylor@bryston,com

 

james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post
 

 

 

I’m currently stuck with opposite problem, with music running balanced from my BCD-1 CDP all is well either with single ended or balanced phones , but unbalanced from my preamp and/or AVP even with balanced phones at high gain I'm usually maxed out on the dial with little maneuvering to find the sweet spot.

Hi James

 

Obviously the BHA-1’s “raison d'être” is that of a fully balanced headphone amp and an excellent one at that but I’m sure there must be other users who are also experiencing the opposite problem with the gain on the unbalanced input.

This sort of mirrors the headphone gain on my previous BP25P and B60R and was surprised that the maximum gain was not increased on the BHA-1 when using unbalanced sources.

The way I see it is that if the overall gain of the BHA-1 is increased to accommodate the unbalanced input the balanced chain may be too high, the gain switch and volume control have been configured as such to accommodate a number of different headphones and works as intended.

Maybe I’m asking too much, but I’m wondering if in fact it may have been better to have incorporated a more conventional linear volume control and that the gain switch equalized the volume level when switching between the balanced and unbalanced input as the ‘majority” of users appear to be using full-sized lower efficient phones.

 

Robert

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston