or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New headphone amplifier from Bryston - Page 85

post #1261 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post
 

Quick update, just connected the Bryston BCD-1 direct with balanced cables to the BHA-1, the low volume issue has been resolved. :wink:

 

This was my findings as well.  With a truly balanced DAC into the BHA-1 and using the XLR out of the BHA-1 I got much better results from all the headphones I used.  At the time the only headphone that was not Balanced was the T!.  It sounded horrible.  I got it re cabled to a 4pin XLR, put it back on the BHA-1 - Bingo.  The T1's was great.

post #1262 of 2085

Got around to making up a 4 pin XLR cable for the Sennheisers, so I’ve garnered a bit more gain with the single ended input (that is until I pick up a 25’ run of XLR cabels).

Besides the increased gain though I could not honestly tell if there was an improvement in the overall sound as I swapped out the single ended and balanced headphone cables over an hour or so so of listening.

This may be more evident over long term listening so I’ll leave the balanced cables for a week or two.

post #1263 of 2085

Rob,

Do you ever go to the Toronto Head Fi Meets?

There is one in December.

Chris

post #1264 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

Rob,

Do you ever go to the Toronto Head Fi Meets?

There is one in December.

Chris


Thanks for the heads up!

 

Haven't been to one in years, but now that I've Head-fi bug once more I just might try to attend.

 

Robert

post #1265 of 2085

Spent the better part of the day putting the BHA-1 through its paces, throwing on re-mastered Kraftwerk, Dave Holland, Depeche Mode, Klaus Schulze and a few others.

It was nice to be able to appreciate sonic signature of each headphone, the delicacy of the K701s or the warmth of the Sennheisers, the groove of the Grados, each had its place.

 

The nice surprise was getting a similar sonic signature out of the Bryston 2BLP pro hooked up to the balance outs of the BHA-1, which gave excellent results, especially with the AKG K501s, which as I mentioned earlier I attribute to the quality of the BHA-1 as a preamp.

 

IMHO the BHA-1 probably gets as close as you can get with a solid-state head-amp, mind you it won’t turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse, but if your source and material is up to it you’ll be well rewarded, no sonic detail will be left unturned.


Edited by Rob80b - 11/17/13 at 3:47pm
post #1266 of 2085

I've owned the BHA-1 for over a year now. It's very transparent and a bit unforgiving with the source. But I also find that it's a chameleon, allowing each HP to reveal its own character without masking faults or making an avg HP sound better than it is. LCD-2 is a good match for classical music and female vocals, in balanced mode (Burson Soloist is a better match for LCD-2, but it's only SE). Beyer T1 is so-so with BHA-1 in SE mode. My Grado GS-1000i has a lot of sibilance with female vocals (e.g. Pat Barber's recordings) with BHA-1, but not as much with my other amps like MP-301 Mk3 (tube) and Burson Soloist. That might be because of some of the recordings, but I suspect BHA-1 may be exaggerating the sibilance enough to make it more prominent. Frankly, apart from higher volume in balanced, I found it hard to discern a substantial improvement in sound stage with balanced for most of my FLAC and CD recordings (thru my BDP-1 and BCD-1). Overall, BHA-1 is still a very good HP amp.

 

Anybody here compare BHA-1 to tubes like WA6?

post #1267 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 

I've owned the BHA-1 for over a year now. It's very transparent and a bit unforgiving with the source. But I also find that it's a chameleon, allowing each HP to reveal its own character without masking faults or making an avg HP sound better than it is. LCD-2 is a good match for classical music and female vocals, in balanced mode (Burson Soloist is a better match for LCD-2, but it's only SE). Beyer T1 is so-so with BHA-1 in SE mode. My Grado GS-1000i has a lot of sibilance with female vocals (e.g. Pat Barber's recordings) with BHA-1, but not as much with my other amps like MP-301 Mk3 (tube) and Burson Soloist. That might be because of some of the recordings, but I suspect BHA-1 may be exaggerating the sibilance enough to make it more prominent. Frankly, apart from higher volume in balanced, I found it hard to discern a substantial improvement in sound stage with balanced for most of my FLAC and CD recordings (thru my BDP-1 and BCD-1). Overall, BHA-1 is still a very good HP amp.

 

Anybody here compare BHA-1 to tubes like WA6?


As you also own the Soloist, is it worth keeping the Soloist as an alternative amp for some headphones? Is the Soloist a better amp using the SE connection in general, or are they about equal?

Asking this because I'm thinking of getting the BHA-1 but have the Soloist already and was thinking of selling the Soloist to help fund the BHA-1 (unless it really is worth it to keep both).

post #1268 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 


As you also own the Soloist, is it worth keeping the Soloist as an alternative amp for some headphones? Is the Soloist a better amp using the SE connection in general, or are they about equal?

Asking this because I'm thinking of getting the BHA-1 but have the Soloist already and was thinking of selling the Soloist to help fund the BHA-1 (unless it really is worth it to keep both).


The Soloist matches up VERY WELL with some HPs, like the LCD-2 and HD-650, imo. If I were you, I would keep it. I found the BHA-1 to be a bit too transparent -- it reveals the smallest faults of many of my CDs, and tends to exaggerate some of the highs on my Grados. I hear more sibilance with some female vocals on my BHA-1, with Grado GS-1000i.  It's less forgiving than Soloist. But I can live with both of them. In general, I think it's good to have two amps for HPs, especially if they are top of the lines, like BHA-1 and Soloist. But if you have Soloist, and are thinking of getting BHA-1, then sit tight. The Soloist is exceptional and matches well with many HPs.

 

I find that with SE, Soloist does very well vs. BHA-1. I can't tell the difference. Where the BHA-1 triumphs is with balanced. So, unless your HPs are wired for balanced, getting the BHA-1 is not advised. If they are not wired for balanced, then getting the connectors re-fitted for balanced is an addtl expense you need to factor in if you buy the BHA-1.

 

Just a tip: I also have a Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3 tube amp that is wonderful with all my HPs. SE only. It is available from Garry Huang, the designer, from Edmonton, Canada. Email him or visit his website

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54

This amp is only $339 CAD !! I could not believe something this cheap could sound so good. I spend more time with this amp for my HPs than with my BHA-1! It is VERY MUSICAL and warm, but still detailed enough to satisfy most people.

 

What HPs are you using with Soloist?

post #1269 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 

 

 

 

What HPs are you using with Soloist?

 

I just got the LCD-3, and I have a HiFiman HE-6, those are the primary reasons why I'm looking at a balanced amp. Those have balanced and unbalanced connections.

 

For high ends I also have the HD800, T1, Fostex TH900, and the LCD-2. Those are in my main rotation, plus another dozen or so headphones collected over the years that all get less use.

 

I have the schiit mjolnir which I just picked up, but within it's return window. It's all balanced connections. I was thinking of perhaps just keeping that one with the Soloists, which would be my cheapest option, but the BHA-1 is suppose to be a better amp, from the reviews.


Edited by Carlsan - 11/19/13 at 6:23am
post #1270 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post

 

 

Just a tip: I also have a Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3 tube amp that is wonderful with all my HPs. SE only. It is available from Garry Huang, the designer, from Edmonton, Canada. Email him or visit his website

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54

This amp is only $339 CAD !! I could not believe something this cheap could sound so good. I spend more time with this amp for my HPs than with my BHA-1! It is VERY MUSICAL and warm, but still detailed enough to satisfy most people.

 

 

 

Nice tube amp! I have the Lyr as a tube amp backup that I rarely use, but that one looks tempting.

post #1271 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post
 

 

Nice tube amp! I have the Lyr as a tube amp backup that I rarely use, but that one looks tempting.


Have not heard the Lyr. But the MP-301 is hard to beat at its price.

 

We are in the wrong thread. PM me for further chit-chat. canadian.maestro@gmail.com

post #1272 of 2085
I use the BHA1 balanced with T1, HE500 and LCD3. These all are combos made in heaven! The best headphone amplifier I ever had.
post #1273 of 2085

I agree with you, Trance. BHA-1 is a great amp for so many HPs. Especially when used with a good upstream source, like BCD-1 or BDP-1.

Even an iPod classic 5G or 7G, plugged into its two RCA inputs sounds good!

post #1274 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Gott View Post

I use the BHA1 balanced with T1, HE500 and LCD3. These all are combos made in heaven! The best headphone amplifier I ever had.

 

The nice thing about having phones on hand with different sonic signatures, to me is akin to changing the listening environment, the AKG K701s being a livelier room, the Senns offering more room treatment/sound absorption, and the Grados offering a smaller room or near field listening, the BHA-1 so far revealing these traits more so than the other head-amps I've owned.


Edited by Rob80b - 11/20/13 at 2:40pm
post #1275 of 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post
 

 

The nice thing about having phones on hand with different sonic signatures, to me is akin to changing the listening environment, the AKG K701s being a livelier room, the Senns offering more room treatment/sound absorption, and the Grados offering a smaller room or near field listening, the BHA-1 so far revealing these traits more so than the other head-amps I've owned.


And mood matching. Very important.

https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/headphones

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New headphone amplifier from Bryston