New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Shure SE215 - Page 6

post #76 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post


I have had similar impressions of the SE215. I believe mine are probably due to SE215 being dynamic when I am coming from a BA. Seeing that you've mentioned the SF3 and X5, both of which are armatures, I would not be surprised if you just are not missing the detail of a BA. If that is the case, the SE215 will never "wow" you like a BA will no matter how much you burn it in. That said, if you give it a chance, you might learn to like the natural smoothness of the dynamic. It sound more realistic than a BA. Either that or you should return it and get another BA.


thanks friend, that helps me. i am glad someone finally understood me. well yes, i suppose i will learn to like them as the time goes by, i've only listened to them for like 10 minutes, during the burn it. i will stop the burn in now, and try to enjoy these. it's not that i don't like them, i do. i just can't justify the enomrous appreciation they have, as i do not see anything special. i will give them a change though, as i am keeping them regardless. they have many pros. i would just love if i was wowed by them... hopefully i will eventually. thank you

 


Edited by djalberthiphop - 2/28/12 at 8:11am
post #77 of 245
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalberthiphop View Post

ok then, so you are saying that tonight i should stop the burn in, and those will be the headphones i will have for the next few years huh? so no more change in sound? oh well... i am not that pleased. i sincerely hope that this will change in the future, as many have said, and that i will find them to be more of my liking, as time goes by..

so why bother burning them in then, since "that won't change with burn in" ??

i didn't understand your explanation on the ohms but thanks anyway. all i know is that my sf3's were more immediate to a change of volume, and sucked up less battery from my player. worth to mention here, i am always unamped.

I have had quite some number of IEM over the years and to be frank, the majority of them doesn't show much change after burn-in even though a small number do show the effect in a very big and obvious way. SE215, as far as I consider, belongs to one of those that don't show much change after burn-in. I am not saying there will be no change at all - maybe it will go from a B+ to an A-, or a B to a B+, but certainly won't be a C to an A. That will be too much of a wishful thinking. However, people do change their mind after burn-in, and find IEM to be better sounding even though the change is subtle at best. In many cases, people just need the time to adjust their listening preference coming from their last IEM. This is much more common than any actual effect of burn-in.
Edited by ClieOS - 2/28/12 at 8:20am
post #78 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalberthiphop View Post



thanks friend, that helps me. i am glad someone finally understood me. well yes, i suppose i will learn to like them as the time goes by, i've only listened to them for like 10 minutes, during the burn it. i will stop the burn in now, and try to enjoy these. it's not that i don't like them, i do. i just can't justify the enomrous appreciation they have, as i do not see anything special. i will give them a change though, as i am keeping them regardless. they have many pros. i would just love if i was wowed by them... hopefully i will eventually. thank you

I tend to agree, nothing special--about the sound I mean. The isolation is amazing. And build quality is too. And replaceable cables. But nothing really strikes me about the sound. I found that disappointing at first, but the more I am listened to them and thought about it I have deiced that is not such a bad thing. It means you can just put them and listen to the music.
post #79 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post


I tend to agree, nothing special--about the sound I mean. The isolation is amazing. And build quality is too. And replaceable cables. But nothing really strikes me about the sound. I found that disappointing at first, but the more I am listened to them and thought about it I have deiced that is not such a bad thing. It means you can just put them and listen to the music.


you are right, i hope i will feel that too, and soon!! because now i am at the stage that you describe in the beginning... well... anyway, i found the olives to be not that easy to use (will have to change regularly, and will be generally quite dirty), and the flex silicon tips do not just provide amazing isolation as you describe, it is very good, and acceptable, but testing them, i could still hear some outside noise, when put in normal volume levels, and yes i do have the right tip for my ears on (medium).... well all these things you say (isolation - for me the same as sf3, i had great isolation, it's nothing more than that), build quality, replac. cables, are the things that made me buy it, and make me keep them, i just hope they'll get better! i am so frustrated i cannot understand why 99% of the owners praise them like hell, and to me they are just simple headphones.... this is what bothers me. what i am a freak or something?? :(

post #80 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalberthiphop View Post



you are right, i hope i will feel that too, and soon!! because now i am at the stage that you describe in the beginning... well... anyway, i found the olives to be not that easy to use (will have to change regularly, and will be generally quite dirty), and the flex silicon tips do not just provide amazing isolation as you describe, it is very good, and acceptable, but testing them, i could still hear some outside noise, when put in normal volume levels, and yes i do have the right tip for my ears on (medium).... well all these things you say (isolation - for me the same as sf3, i had great isolation, it's nothing more than that), build quality, replac. cables, are the things that made me buy it, and make me keep them, i just hope they'll get better! i am so frustrated i cannot understand why 99% of the owners praise them like hell, and to me they are just simple headphones.... this is what bothers me. what i am a freak or something?? frown.gif

I didn't like the olives either. Kind of disappointed since everyone seems to recommend them. I just use the small silicone tips. I had the same thought about the isolation too at first. Then realized that while I could still hear outside noises, I could also hear all the music even on on low volume. I could sit in the middle of a noisy room without feeling the need to turn the volume up to be able to hear my music. I decided this must be what everyone means about great isolation, not that they would totally drown out all outside noises like earplugs.
post #81 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalberthiphop View Post



thanks friend, that helps me. i am glad someone finally understood me. well yes, i suppose i will learn to like them as the time goes by, i've only listened to them for like 10 minutes, during the burn it. i will stop the burn in now, and try to enjoy these. it's not that i don't like them, i do. i just can't justify the enomrous appreciation they have, as i do not see anything special. i will give them a change though, as i am keeping them regardless. they have many pros. i would just love if i was wowed by them... hopefully i will eventually. thank you

Different strokes for different folks! The SE215 were my first IEM over $50 and they happened to match my preferred signature perfectly, so I have nothing but love fore them. With a bit of EQ in the bass they sound closer to my signature than anything I've heard yet, including my beloved and much-modded MS400. Unfortunately they don't deliver the overall SQ/resolution I want so I had to move on, but nothing I've tried since has pleased me as much subjectively.
post #82 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalberthiphop View Post



can someone please reply to me about the burn-in method i am using? so far, still no love or crazyness towards them, i find them simple. Gilly, i used to own the image x5 and i can tell you there is absolutely no comparison with the shures, i find the x5 to be one of the best and more detailed (in every aspect) headphones i have owned, unfortunately though, they were sold, because they just stick too much out of the ear, and i do understand the "gentle" characteristic that you used, they do feel much more vulnerable to hard use, gym etc. and i wanted an all rounder that can be "hidden" in your ear, be used for the gym, have replacable parts (not just cables) and that can be worn under a helmet (for my summer bike trips). that is why i went with the 215s, they are now burning in for more than 48 hours, and i still can't find a surprising aspect. no comparison with the klipsh. any ideas on good burn in? why do i feel that they are not THAT good...? also, i noticed that when turning the volume up or down, you need three "clicks" (scales) in your device to notice a big difference. is that because of the rather high impedance, or because of the rather low db that those carry? my sf3s were 13 ohms as opposed to 20, and 113 dbs as opposed to 107 of shure.. therefore i am using more battery on my player, don't care so much about that, i am just mentioning it...

I would mirror what others have said; the SE215 are slower dynamics than the BAs in your SF3 and I believealso in the X5. BAs are faster and sometimes even sound more "detailed" than they are due to the "precision" or dissecting effect of fast BA drivers.

On the flip side, the 215s sound much more immediate and full to me than my X10 despite not being as detailed or fast, which is more to my preference.
post #83 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post


I would mirror what others have said; the SE215 are slower dynamics than the BAs in your SF3 and I believealso in the X5. BAs are faster and sometimes even sound more "detailed" than they are due to the "precision" or dissecting effect of fast BA drivers.
On the flip side, the 215s sound much more immediate and full to me than my X10 despite not being as detailed or fast, which is more to my preference.


thanks... as i said, let's wait and see.. who knows? hopefully i will like them soon.... what more can i say? the buy is done. no turning back. plus with all these positive reviews i can't be the only one in the world who does not enjoy them.. so yeah, maybe it's the change from armatures to dynamic. let's hope that will change in the near future and i'll prefer that sound...

 

post #84 of 245

hi everyone,

 

100 hours of burn in... no change, and still not impressed. thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.

post #85 of 245

You know, I recommended the MDTs in the other thread for you, but coming back to this one and seeing that you want better speed as well, you might want to look into some of the bassier multi-BAs. The W3 has astounding midbass impact for a BA, and sounds very precise, with really good treble extension and a V-shaped signature. It's the only IEM I've heard that I would characterize as both warm and bright.

 

You may also like the Klipsch X10, which is different but sounds very nice as well. Joker recently reviewed it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-227-iems-compared-sony-xba-4sl-klipsch-x10-added-03-04-12/6165#post_8200225
 

He has a writeup on the W3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalberthiphop View Post

hi everyone,

 

100 hours of burn in... no change, and still not impressed. thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.



 


Edited by Gilly87 - 3/5/12 at 8:20pm
post #86 of 245

like i previously said, i don't have the budget for these headphones you mentioned, if i did, i wouldn't have bought the 215 in the first place. now that i unpacked them and used them, i will lose money if i sell them. so it's not worth it. please someone answer to my question about amping those

post #87 of 245
Thread Starter 

Amping won't change much. You better try EQ it.

post #88 of 245

using them with an ipod shuffle...... that's why i thought of stucking an e6 on its back as they are the same size, and also, reading that the e6 is probably better than the e5 which i owned and though it did nothing to the sound.

 

and also, i cannot accept that i have owned a vast number of headphones which i always use on default settings, and i have to eq my new shures.... i don't like eq-ing, i believe it fixes something, but makes something else worse.

post #89 of 245
Thread Starter 

You can certainly buy an E6 and try to convince yourself it will make a difference. But to me, your issue has nothing to do with amping but the simple fact that SE215 is not for you.

 

The question is, 1) do you believe in throwing more money to the wrong sound will make it better, 2) admit that it's not the right sound for you, cut your lost by selling the IEM, then reinvest into something else, or 3) live with it and call it a day, and perhaps start saving for something better in the future? It seems you can't quite do option 3, but don't want option 2 either. However, I personally think option 1 is quite likely the riskiest of all three options - but this is your choice, not mine. I can only give you my advise and I don't think in any time option 1 will be my recommendation.


Edited by ClieOS - 3/6/12 at 7:20am
post #90 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

You can certainly buy an E6 and try to convince yourself it will make a difference. But to me, your issue has nothing to do with amping but the simple fact that SE215 is not for you.

 

The question is, 1) do you believe in throwing more money to the wrong sound will make it better, 2) admit that it's not the right sound for you, cut your lost by selling the IEM, then reinvest into something else, or 3) live with it and call it a day, and perhaps start saving for something better in the future? It seems you can't quite do option 3, but don't want option 2 either. However, I personally think option 1 is quite likely the riskiest of all three options - but this is your choice, not mine. I can only give you my advise and I don't think in any time option 1 will be my recommendation.



thanks so much for that man. you are totally right in every aspect. you have actually convinced me to not do 1), i admit number 2) i did from the beginning, but the money i'll lose is a lot, plus these won't be sold in a day, because here in Greece, there are really very few audiophiles that would pay 100 for earphones, so i don't even think they'll be sold, plus that puts me in the position that even if i have the difference of say 70-80 euros (since box is opened and they are a bit used), i need about 150-200 to buy new headphones, and also risk the international buy, because there are veery few high end brands with resellers in greece (only shure??), so i also have the risk of buying an iem through ebay (also wait for like 2-3 weeks until i get them, so still no headphones till then). 3)i may just do that if they are not sold.... :(

 

what should i look for, coming from an sf3? for similar sound? still very good isolation though (that is a must, shures are good in that), overal "loud" sound, significant volume changes at a + or a -, and enough (not oo much) bass for hip hop..


Edited by djalberthiphop - 3/6/12 at 7:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: