Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone 900 Vs Monster beats by Dre Studio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone 900 Vs Monster beats by Dre Studio - Page 2

post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakashiMiike View Post

For all those who KEEP bringing up the beats.

 

Untitled.png

 

This is not how music should sound, 'nuff said.



No headphones can reproduce music exactly as it sounded when being recorded.

 

Seeing as it all involves individual preferences, why is that particular frequency graph more "wrong" than any other?

post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnotts View Post





No headphones can reproduce music exactly as it sounded when being recorded.

 

Seeing as it all involves individual preferences, why is that particular frequency graph more "wrong" than any other?



20 db above neutral base, is no joke. the monsters boost their base far beyond fidelity bass reproduction. I don't buy the "we all have our own preferences" argument, some things are objectively not high fidelity.  By that very same logic you are using, you can say the ibuds are ok, if someone prefers them. Lines have to be drawn to separate high fidelity from consumer and bad fidelity equipment. This line isn't even a gray area, it's very easy to see.

post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakashiMiike View Post





20 db above neutral base, is no joke. the monsters boost their base far beyond fidelity bass reproduction. I don't buy the "we all have our own preferences" argument, some things are objectively not high fidelity.  By that very same logic you are using, you can say the ibuds are ok, if someone prefers them. Lines have to be drawn to separate high fidelity from consumer and bad fidelity equipment. This line isn't even a gray area, it's very easy to see.

 

Of course ibuds are okay if someone prefers them. You're saying if you prefer ibuds over something, you should buy something else just because someone else thinks it sounds better?

 

If something sounds good to someone, it sounds good to someone. Who are you to tell them "oh, sorry, you're wrong - it's not high fidelity because I say so"? Lines don't have to be drawn anywhere; listen to whatever you think sounds the best.

 

You aren't going to get "the most natural sound" out of a particular pair of headphones; everyone hears differently and has their own preferences. What sounds good to you can sound terrible to someone else. Personally, I think headphones that a lot of people on here consider "balanced" or natural, are very boring and tend to have recessed bass. To me, that's not natural or balanced.

 

And what if you listen to music where the low frequencies are the hook? With dubstep, for example, even headphones that many people consider quite strong in the bass department (M50's for example), don't handle dubstep well at all.

 

I respect your opinion, I just disagree. I hope you respect other peoples' opinions too.
 

 

 

post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakashiMiike View Post

For all those who KEEP bringing up the beats.

 

Untitled.png

 

This is not how music should sound, 'nuff said.

 

Those are the IEMs, not headphones, the headphones don't have that much of a boost lol. Many IEMs have up to 20dB boost in bass in FR graphs, not just Monster.
 

This is the Beats Studios, bass isn't really that strong even and quite bad when the extension starts drop of sharply after 30Hz as well. Many other headphones have stronger bass output. This is just tiny bit above Denon D5000/7000.

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1383

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/26/11 at 4:05am
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post



 

Those are the IEMs, not headphones, the headphones don't have that much of a boost lol. Many IEMs have up to 20dB boost in bass in FR graphs, not just Monster.
 

This is the Beats Studios, bass isn't really that strong even and quite bad when the extension starts drop of sharply after 30Hz as well. Many other headphones have stronger bass output. This is just tiny bit above Denon D5000/7000.

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1383

 


Thank you for clearing that up, I apologize, ignore my previous statement :) Since I have not heard the beats and misinterpreted the graphs, I cannot say anything for them. Thanks for correcting me.

 

post #21 of 56

As much as the Beats are bashed on Head-fi, one does have to give them credit for at least in some cases getting people in to the audiophile world.  At least it gets them started.  It was the Beats that got me in to the AKGs, the Beyers, the Ultrasones, and the Denons.   I got a pair of Beats Pro Studio for free and knew that marketing was their main feature.  I knew this the minute I met Jimmy Iovine and heard him speak so passionately about the Beats and then met Noil Lee who is even more fanatical about the reasons he teamed up with Interscope, Dr. Dre, and Iovine to develope the Beats.

 

I know good marketing when I see it, and immediately began to research what real head phones were out there, and have since owned several VERY nice pairs of head phones that FAR surpass the Beats in every single way.

 

However, I will forever give credit to the Beats for opening my eyes to the possibility that something is better than the stock phones you get with mp3 players or at your local BB (who does actually carry AKG, Sennheiser, and a few other good brands - just not in most stores.)

 

If it wasn't for that pair of Beats, I wouldn't know what head-fi was or what the Denon D7000s are capable of.

post #22 of 56

The skullcandy holua have a frequency response graph just as twisted as the Dre Beats Buds, but their actual sound is by no means representational of that.  If anything, the two of them are bass-light.

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1243&graphID[]=2571

 

 

 

So just because the graph shows a monstrous 20db boost of the lower region, it doesnt mean those buds actually have considerably more bass than say a full sized headphone.  In fact the skullcandy holua (comparable to the dre buds in this graph) have less bass than my DT990, which I already think is bass light, because it's an open headphone.

 

The rolloff at 20-30hz on the beats studios seems like a moot point to me, as not many headphones or songs play things at 20hz to begin with.  Most 'one note' synthetic bass lines I hear on hip-hop rap, dub-step and what have you, are all 40-60hz, and same with kick drums.  Even the M50, which is famous for its extension, has trouble playing a 20hz tone.

post #23 of 56

This old classic plays a constant around 20Hz note starting from 0:32 to the end of the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY&hd=1 :)

 

Poor Beats users won't even hear their own genre like it was supposed to. FAIL xD


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/26/11 at 10:50am
post #24 of 56

I knew you'd bring that song up, I have it myself.  Not even my DT990s or M50s play that 20hz tone at a sufficient enough rumble to really get a feel for it.

post #25 of 56

Since I digged up that song I had to give it a test now that I've also got this "ZO Personal Subwoofer". XB500 + ZO + this song isn't a good combination... let me quote from the ZO review thread:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

LOL, this was a weird experience, I tried boosting the bass slightly on the ZO device listening to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY&hd=1 on my XB500 and at 0:32 when the ~20Hz bass note kicks in it felt like the headphone would jump around on my head almost while tickling my ears a bit and at 0:40 - 0:42 when the bassnote peaks into a higher bass frequency I felt a bit dizzy and my vision weren't straight, it was like it would be slanting a little like I was about to faint or something (luckily I sit in a chair :p). My volume wasn't even set any high at all, no it was very average at best in fear of breaking the drivers from lowbass frequency overload.

 

Can you imagine something like this happening with a HEADPHONE? :o Sure I'm quite a bit tired right now so that may have to do with it too but still. Soon DigiZoid will have to put on a warning sticker "the following device may cause you to faint from bass overload, use with caution!" xD

 

Shit's scary. :o 

post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

This old classic plays a constant around 20Hz note starting from 0:32 to the end of the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY&hd=1 :)

 

Poor Beats users won't even hear their own genre like it was supposed to. FAIL xD



What song is that? Due to the wonderful world we live in, filled with geolocked content, I can't access it, and don't really feel like going through the hassle of working around the lockdown.

post #27 of 56

Three 6 Mafia - Late Nite Tip (remastered 1997 version) from album Chapter 2: World Domination. Track # 15. This version is a lot less muffled sounding than the one from 1996.

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/26/11 at 12:31pm
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 Even the M50, which is famous for its extension, has trouble playing a 20hz tone.



Nope. I'm wearing my M50's right now and playing a 20 Hz tone at regular listening volume. It's a very clear rumble with zero distortion.

 

I do have EQ though, but that's only a slight (2 dB) even raise between 20 Hz and 100 Hz.

post #29 of 56

There's clearly a difference in preference as to how prominent we want out subterranian bass then.  Your 'normal' listening volume could be considerably higher than mine as well, as I've noticed that my normal listening volume is miles lower than everybody else who tries my headphones out.


Edited by TMRaven - 6/26/11 at 1:44pm
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakashiMiike View Post

For all those who KEEP bringing up the beats.

 

Untitled.png

 

This is not how music should sound, 'nuff said.



Ugh., this is what I hate about the mindless drones here on HeadFi who just hate on Beats and Bose just because it's the in-thing to do on headFi.

 

First of all, the Pro 900 has more bass than the Studios. I've heard both and I know this is as a fact. So if the Studios have "too much bass" then I suppose the Pro 900 does, too, right? 

 

Second of all, that graph you linked to is not the Beats headphone the TC is referring to. That's the Tours IEM and while I agree it sounds lousy, 20db above neutral bass isn't a big deal and isn't the reason why I dislike the Tours. There are other IEMs that have similar measurements, such as the Turbines, which are well-received and well-loved here on HeadFi. 

 

Using groupthink arguments without thinking them through really makes you look the fool. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone 900 Vs Monster beats by Dre Studio