Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › i can't hear a difference between fiio e7 and my onboard sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i can't hear a difference between fiio e7 and my onboard sound. - Page 5

post #61 of 75

"Ridge Hall computer assistance; may I help you?"

 

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

 

"What sort of trouble?"

 

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

 

"Went away?"

 

"They disappeared."

 

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Nothing?"

 

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

 

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

 

"How do I tell?"

 

"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

 

"What's a sea-prompt?"

 

"Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?"

 

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

 

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

 

"What's a monitor?"

 

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

 

"Yes, I think so."

 

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

 

"Yes, it is."

 

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

 

"No."

 

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

 

"Okay, here it is."

 

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

 

"I can't reach."

 

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

 

"No."

 

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

 

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle -- it's because it's dark."

 

"Dark?"

 

"Yes, -the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

 

"Well, turn on the office light then."

 

"I can't."

 

"No? Why not?"

 

"Because there's a power failure."

 

"A power... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

 

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

 

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

 

"Really? Is it that bad?"

 

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

 

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

 

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

post #62 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

"Ridge Hall computer assistance; may I help you?"

 

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

 

"What sort of trouble?"

 

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

 

"Went away?"

 

"They disappeared."

 

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Nothing?"

 

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

 

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

 

"How do I tell?"

 

"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

 

"What's a sea-prompt?"

 

"Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?"

 

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

 

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

 

"What's a monitor?"

 

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

 

"Yes, I think so."

 

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

 

"Yes, it is."

 

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

 

"No."

 

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

 

"Okay, here it is."

 

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

 

"I can't reach."

 

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

 

"No."

 

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

 

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle -- it's because it's dark."

 

"Dark?"

 

"Yes, -the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

 

"Well, turn on the office light then."

 

"I can't."

 

"No? Why not?"

 

"Because there's a power failure."

 

"A power... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

 

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

 

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

 

"Really? Is it that bad?"

 

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

 

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

 

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."


lmfao that was hilarious. to reply to help. i set it as default a different way. but i was thinking perhaps i did it wrong. i am far from computer illiterate. im just not knowledgeable on external sound cards and how they work. but im pretty sure i got it now.

 

post #63 of 75

So did setting it as default fix the problem or not? I want to buy a Fiio e7 but I got very worried when reading this thread.

post #64 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zowki View Post

So did setting it as default fix the problem or not? I want to buy a Fiio e7 but I got very worried when reading this thread.



no it did nothing.

post #65 of 75

Can you post a picture of how you connected the E7 to your PC?

 

Just to make sure it's really correct?

post #66 of 75

I can't hear a much a difference between my iMac's onboard and the Music Streamer as well.  Some onboards are just pretty good I guess.  I know for certain some are bad though.  My old G5 iMac was one such case.

post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Can you post a picture of how you connected the E7 to your PC?

 

Just to make sure it's really correct?


If he's using it as a DAC there is only one way - via the USB.

 

BTW - don't necessarily be put off by Casey's experience.  It depends on how good your onboard is.  And Casey has been flip-flopping a bit (first there's a difference, then there's not).  There's a post #53 one page back that has since been edited.  It originally stated that he did find a difference in both the netbook and then the laptop as well - the post has since been edited and the comment removed by him.

 

FWIW, I own the E7 and I've found an audible difference with my netbook - which is what I sometimes use when I'm traveling (business).  I've also paired the E7 to the E9 for home use, and I'm fully satisfied.  Opinions will differ - get some more from others if you're not sure.  I bought the E7 specifically for a cleaner signal.  It's achieved that for me.

 

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

BTW - don't necessarily be put off by Casey's experience.  It depends on how good your onboard is.  And Casey has been flip-flopping a bit (first there's a difference, then there's not).  There's a post #53 one page back that has since been edited.  It originally stated that he did find a difference in both the netbook and then the laptop as well - the post has since been edited and the comment removed by him.

 

Bravo - well picked up.
 

 

post #69 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post




If he's using it as a DAC there is only one way - via the USB.

 

BTW - don't necessarily be put off by Casey's experience.  It depends on how good your onboard is.  And Casey has been flip-flopping a bit (first there's a difference, then there's not).  There's a post #53 one page back that has since been edited.  It originally stated that he did find a difference in both the netbook and then the laptop as well - the post has since been edited and the comment removed by him.

 

FWIW, I own the E7 and I've found an audible difference with my netbook - which is what I sometimes use when I'm traveling (business).  I've also paired the E7 to the E9 for home use, and I'm fully satisfied.  Opinions will differ - get some more from others if you're not sure.  I bought the E7 specifically for a cleaner signal.  It's achieved that for me.

 


i edited that because i aba'd it again and heard no difference.

 

post #70 of 75

First of all, PLUG YOUR E7 USING THE PROVIDED USB CABLE 

 

Click Start or Windows Icon

Untitled.png

Then go to Control Panel

Untitled 1.png

Go to Hardware and Sound

Untitled 2.png

Go to Manage Audio Devices

Untitled 3.png

A screen will pop up then select "usb DAC" then right click it.  Choose "properties"

Untitled 4.png

Select the red circled tabs to configure your DAC

Untitled 5.png

On the Enhancement tab, check Bass Boost and Virtual Surround

Untitled 6.png

On the Advance tab, select the drop down menu then click  the "16 bit 48000 Hz DVD Quality"

 

 

ENJOYbeerchug.gifL3000.gif

 

edit: added "right click" then chose "properties"


Edited by TheAwesomesauceShow - 6/29/11 at 7:46am
post #71 of 75

Aren't those bass boost and virtual surround the operating system's enhancements. 

post #72 of 75

Yep - they're OS rather than E7.

post #73 of 75

Great guide awesomesauceshow. ;-)

 

 

post #74 of 75

thanksbeerchug.gif

post #75 of 75
Thread Starter 

after trying the fiio e7 with my alessandro and comparing them to my onboard i found the onboard incredibly harsh. so to conclude i think the fiio e7 is worth it even though i noticed almost no difference with my shure srh840 for some reason.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › i can't hear a difference between fiio e7 and my onboard sound.